CDC Open to USA cruise return this Summer

cruiserking

54 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

So people exhibiting flu like symptoms must have the flu and not some new, previously unknown disease like Covid 19? Occam's razor sometimes cuts.

Sigh.

If the disease presented no other unique symptoms and responded to treatments just like the flu, it would have been treated as such and we'd be in a very different situation right now.

Because COVID-19 isn't really flu-like (feeling unwell with a headache is far too generic a set of symptoms to just say "flu" - that's also a hangover, or cerebral encephalitis), it was pretty obvious from the get go it wasn't a flu variant.

So the flu was not the simplest explanation, because it didn't match the available data.

It also wasn't Lupus.  (My second reference to House today.)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I saw the same thing several months ago when I flew out of both Washington-Dulles and Reagan airports,

I experienced the same thing. The folks with status on cruise lines have nothing compared to those with airline status that want to make sure no one else boards ahead of them!

55 minutes ago, Stallion said:

The City of Miami has had thousands of cases a day too since Spring Break

Deaths Per Million:

United States 1,731

Japan 74

There needs to be a new statistic.......those recovering from Covid Positive testing. I suspect it would be 90% of those under 65.

54 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

If you can throw a rock across the Potomac River from VA to DC, The Nats want you.

LOL - well, I did say "practically." For me, the rock wouldn't make it anywhere near the other side. 😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bingomamma19 said:

No company meeting in person is a must...we have zoom and anything can be done via phone or computers for meetings.   

Just because your company can handle things via zoom doesn't necessarily mean that every industry works the same way.  What about skilled white collar employees who are inspectors that need hands on expertise to do their job?  Take the blinders off, there are other corporate needs out there besides sitting around a boardroom table and participating in a zoom meeting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamesatgsu said:

So Trump's appointed CDC director and Biden's appointed CDC director were out to pass Stimulus bills by not cruising?

Some sound logic there.

Cruising is just one small part of keeping us locked and masked up for over a year. Who benefited from the stimulus bills?? Special interest groups, big corporations, foreign countries, illegal immigrants and political donors. What did American citizens get? A couple thousand dollars which we'll pay back double that in the next few years once our taxes sky rocket.

You can believe whatever "logic" the news is telling you but I'll think for myself.

• Like 10

On 4/8/2021 at 9:22 AM, jetsfan58 said:

May not have much difficulty in opening but how safe will they be. These Governors have to get onboard the "Safety Train"  

Oh, no disagreement there at all.  Merely pointing out that safe or unsafe, there won't be any resistance in those states.  Leaving my personal opinion out on whether or not that's a good idea, because in the end, it doesn't matter at all.  

My gut feeling is that this summer, things are going to get pretty close to normal.  This fall, we might see another surge, but it isn't really going to matter because I don't think there will be any success in trying to do another lockdown.  We barely got compliance with any of the other "lockdowns" we've done, and once we have a good amount of people immune through either vaccines or having gotten it, there's basically no way we're stuffing people back into the box.  People are over it, and I don't think there's much chance of a huge surge again by that point that would be enough to frighten people into complying/enough people getting truly sick and needing hospital.  It's eventually just going to become a fact of life that it's out there, people will sometimes catch it, and we'll move on, just like we have with any other plague since 1000s of years.  

And before anyone comes in to berate me..this is just my opinion, worth exactly what all opinions are worth 😉  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2021 at 12:36 PM, topaz123 said:

There needs to be a new statistic.......those recovering from Covid Positive testing. I suspect it would be 90% of those under 65.

Here's another one to track

Covid-19 hospitalizations among younger people are rising in the US -- especially in one region

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Here's another one to track

Covid-19 hospitalizations among younger people are rising in the US -- especially in one region

the upper Midwest.  Mostly Michigan which has been very strict with lockdowns.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, I haven't seen this posted here yet (sorry if old news now):

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/04/09/cdc-hopeful-to-have-cruise-lines-operating-by-mid-summer-pete-buttigieg-says/

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are “hopeful” that cruise lines will be allowed to begin operating by mid-summer, according to U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Hmm, I haven't seen this posted here yet (sorry if old news now):

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2021/04/09/cdc-hopeful-to-have-cruise-lines-operating-by-mid-summer-pete-buttigieg-says/

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are “hopeful” that cruise lines will be allowed to begin operating by mid-summer, according to U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg."

While hopeful, the article went on the mention the protocols that need to be meet. Unless these protocols are started soon mid summer looks unlikely. 60 day filings,  etc., nothing about just skipping protocols, just a bunch of bs about returning safely. Nothing about ncl can return fully vaccinated, nothing specific. Just empty words to me. 

Edited by firefly333

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

While hopeful, the article went on the mention the protocols that need to be meet. Unless these protocols are started soon mid summer looks unlikely. 60 day filings,  etc., nothing about just skipping protocols, just a bunch of bs about returning safely. Nothing about ncl can return fully vaccinated, nothing specific. Just empty words to me. 

Not just empty words.  The CDC officials and spokespeople have been clear that the phased approach will apply, and provided the cruise lines can comply with that approach then sailing is possible by mid-summer.  The Secretary of Transportation was reiterating that position.  Just because it's not what people want to hear does not make it empty words.  I would like to see something from the cruise lines (other than NCL) that documents how they intend to safely sail out of the US.  There has to be something concrete to present to the CDC.

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

Not just empty words.  The CDC officials and spokespeople have been clear that the phased approach will apply, and provided the cruise lines can comply with that approach then sailing is possible by mid-summer.  The Secretary of Transportation was reiterating that position.  Just because it's not what people want to hear does not make it empty words.  I would like to see something from the cruise lines (other than NCL) that documents how they intend to safely sail out of the US.  There has to be something concrete to present to the CDC.

You are misunderstanding what I said. The empty words are its hopeful to restart this summer.

I KNOW for sure the cdc is adamant about making cruiselines go thru hoops. I also remarked that the ncl vaccinated plan was ignored. ... nothing specific was said other than empty words of sure its hopeful... those are the empty words. 

I'm booked sept and if I believed it was hopeful would be happy. I dont. Lots of platitudes and unmoving from cdc. But yes better than nothing. But nothing there specific. I want to hear ok here is the plan we are starting. Tired of platitudes and nothing else. If you see something specific about actually restarting then I'll take back my empty words comment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

You are misunderstanding what I said. The empty words are its hopeful to restart this summer.

I KNOW for sure the cdc is adamant about making cruiselines go thru hoops. I also remarked that the ncl vaccinated plan was ignored. ... nothing specific was said other than empty words of sure its hopeful... those are the empty words. 

I'm booked sept and if I believed it was hopeful would be happy. I dont. Lots of platitudes and unmoving from cdc. But yes better than nothing. But nothing there specific. I want to hear ok here is the plan we are starting. Tired of platitudes and nothing else. If you see something specific about actually restarting then I'll take back my empty words comment.

I don't think the NCL letter was ignored.  The CDC came out a couple of times this week, after the letter was sent, saying the the phased approach would remain.  That seems to be a pretty clear message and that the NCL proposal was not satisfactory.  The CDC is not going to give a specific date for a restart because they are not entirely in control of that; mostly the cruise lines are.  They are the ones that have to implement the plans.  A "target" of mid-summer is likely all we're going to get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

the upper Midwest.  Mostly Michigan which has been very strict with lockdowns.

The point is about young people and hospitals, but Michigan apparently isn't strict about lockdowns. The cases are increasing apparently because of a variant and the new suggested measures are not mandates.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-michigan-governor-resistance-closures/

"

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is urging high schools in the state to voluntarily suspend in-person classes, all youth sports games, and indoor dining and gatherings for two weeks as her state leads the nation in COVID-19 cases. But some organizations are pushing back.

"As we take a hard look at the data and observe the spread of the variance, we all need to go above and beyond the rules we already have in place," Whitmer said at a Friday news conference. "We all have to step up our game for the next two weeks to bring down rising cases.""

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The point is about young people and hospitals, but Michigan apparently isn't strict about lockdowns. The cases are increasing apparently because of a variant and the new suggested measures are not mandates.

"

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is urging high schools in the state to voluntarily suspend in-person classes, all youth sports games, and indoor dining and gatherings for two weeks as her state leads the nation in COVID-19 cases. But some organizations are pushing back.

"As we take a hard look at the data and observe the spread of the variance, we all need to go above and beyond the rules we already have in place," Whitmer said at a Friday news conference. "We all have to step up our game for the next two weeks to bring down rising cases.""

Ah yes, the unending, unescapable, variant.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The empty words are its hopeful to restart this summer.

I feel like Andy correcting Red after Red says "hope is a dangerous thing", when I write "Remember firefly333! Hope is a good thing, may be best of things and no good thing ever dies."

21 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I feel like Andy correcting Red after Red says "hope is a dangerous thing", when I write "Remember firefly333! Hope is a good thing, may be best of things and no good thing ever dies."

Lol I have hope the cso expires in nov. Then we can cruise.

Meanwhile I've heard the same ole mumble jumble from the cdc focusing on the negative.

Seems like we will soon get to where fewer people want the vaccine than we have doses, anticipated end of april or may .. then what? Either we hit herd immunity or keep stumbling along. Jury still out.

I'd like to hear yes we like ncl plan, or yes, but add these 8 things, some specifics with the we still want you to jump thru hoops, and no progress. I've heard no progress with the cdc for a year now. 

Monday the UK is supposed to hit herd immunity with their one shot vaccine plan, faucci was against for us. I hope we do hit herd immunity and can move forward. I want to hear some firm steps forward with cruising. I'm allowed my opinion as are others. I've got 11 cruises booked, how about you? I had more, but they are slowly being cancelled. If I didnt have hope I would have stopped booking. 

Last year it was just get vaccinated and we can cruise ...goal posts been moved so many times I'm worn out. Time for firm responses, not just do the hoops. People are now worried the cdc will move the cso ending nov 1st. At some pt we have to learn to live with this and move forward. We might never be at zero deaths. Cdc needs to respond in detail to ncl plan. Otherwise it's just more words. 

Lol PS I used to have a bf who called me Red. Lol. Though online games I'm fire for red hair.. but apt words from you. 

Edited by firefly333

3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

"

And yet, people will complain about those requests and resist.  And the rise in infections will continue and the Governor will be further criticized.  It's really a no-win situation.  Everyone wants the situation resolved, but then those same people don't want to participate in the process.  I guess it's all supposed to be resolved by magic.

• Like 3

There is no ending or cure to the Covid, and the er,hum,et from the CDC is more than annoying. Who's to say that once cruise lines submit to the " no un-turned " rock mandates, that yet another mandate will emerge.  For example....now we have the Variant, so we'll need all cruisers to receive the ( you name it) XYZ vaccine .  The gold post moving mentioned  by previous applies. 

2 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

There is no ending or cure to the Covid, and the er,hum,et from the CDC is more than annoying. Who's to say that once cruise lines submit to the " no un-turned " rock mandates, that yet another mandate will emerge.  For example....now we have the Variant, so we'll need all cruisers to receive the ( you name it) XYZ vaccine .  The gold post moving mentioned  by previous applies. 

Oh nonsense!  Variants have already occurred and likely will continue.  So far, it would appear that the vaccines are effective against a number of those variants.  NO ONE ever said that the vaccines would be effective against any and all mutations, and if booster shots are required in order to address those, then so be it.  It is amazing to me that so many armchair experts think that guidance is not going to be modified with ever-evolving virus knowledge.  Naive to say the least.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, topaz123 said:

Ah yes, the unending, unescapable, variant.

Actually variantS. But yes, and more bad news for those who think current vaccinations are the end.

South African variant may evade protection from Pfizer vaccine, Israeli study says

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-israel-study-idUSKBN2BX0JX

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Oh nonsense!  Variants have already occurred and likely will continue.  So far, it would appear that the vaccines are effective against a number of those variants.  NO ONE ever said that the vaccines would be effective against any and all mutations, and if booster shots are required in order to address those, then so be it.  It is amazing to me that so many armchair experts think that guidance is not going to be modified with ever-evolving virus knowledge.  Naive to say the least.

guidance modified = yet another delay. Enough already....