So many questions...

We haven't cruised since 2018 so I'm rusty.  Can someone help answer some or all of these questions for me?

• I didn't opt to include tips with my payment.  Can I go back and add this somewhere or am I now stuck to pay them in full on the cruise?  I used to know this...

• For the first time ever I opted "in" on the Vacation Protection.  It's too late now, I bought it.  But was that smart?  I grew up with people always telling me it's dumb and a waste of money, LOL.  Please make me feel better about buying it.  

• I need some help deciding if the drink package (over $1,200.00) is going to be worth it or not for me and my husband.  Since 2018, I see that RC has gotten wise and is making BOTH adults get the package.  I think RC was the last cruise line to make this rule?  I'm pretty sure Carnival and others have been doing this for years.  Drinks average about $10-$15 each with the 18% gratuity on top of that right?

• Suggestions on cool places to stay night before cruise in Ft. Lauderdale?

• Remind me please - when does everything open up to make reservations on Cruise Planner for onboard activities (iFly, FlowRider), etc?  How many days before the cruise does the neat new app load info?

• Husband is worried that there will be SO many people on board (we've never sailed these big ships before) that our son won't be able to do things (like the iFly, the bunge thing, or FlowRider).  He's also worried about long lines everywhere.  Suggestions here?  Past experiences?  Are the activities something we can book ahead of time or as soon as we get on the boat we RUN like crazy people somewhere and sign up? No, we aren't in a suite so we don't have that awesome luxury of having the Concierge booking for us.  

• Speaking of suites...are there wait-lists for suites?  They were all booked up but I'm sure people cancel.  Do these get doled out to the top tier of the Crown & Anchor people first and then trickles down to the lower tiered C&A people?  

• Suggestions on excursions for Aruba and Curacao?  First time there for us.  I've heard there are Flamingos in Aruba.  So cool!

Sorry for the super long (and possibly annoying) post.  Bye for now! 

Lindsay from Texas

Sailed Royal Caribbean:

· Liberty of the Seas 9.9.18: 7-Night Western Caribbean from Galveston

· Liberty of the Seas 3.12.17: 7-Night Western Caribbean from Galveston

· Adventure of the Seas 3.12.16: 7-Night Southern Caribbean from San Juan

· Independence of the Seas 3.8.15: 6-Night Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale

· Independence of the Seas 3.15.14: 8-Night Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale

Other Cruises:

· Holland America’s Zuiderdam - June, 2010: Alaska Inner Passage

· 1st Cruise! Princess Cruise (not sure which one). This was 27 years ago with my parents. 2 weeks in Hawaii.

You can call in to get the drink package for only one of you.

I believe you can also have them add gratuities when you call.  Or, you can pay at the end of the cruise.  This is what we usually do.

My oldest loves the FlowRider and water slides.  The wait times have never been very long and he has enjoyed them several times on each cruise.  You can usually book iFly ahead of time, but we only took one cruise with this feature.  We booked ahead, but my children (younger) decided they didn't want to do it, so we cancelled.  You can always check while on board to see if there are openings or cancellations.

I have purchased protection before, for the just in case.  Mostly when I am booking really far ahead.  I have never needed it yet, but would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.  Next time, you can book the cruise and then get quotes from private companies.

Sorry, I can't answer any of your other questions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KimA75 said:

You can call in to get the drink package for only one of you.

I believe you can also have them add gratuities when you call.  Or, you can pay at the end of the cruise.  This is what we usually do.

My oldest loves the FlowRider and water slides.  The wait times have never been very long and he has enjoyed them several times on each cruise.  You can usually book iFly ahead of time, but we only took one cruise with this feature.  We booked ahead, but my children (younger) decided they didn't want to do it, so we cancelled.  You can always check while on board to see if there are openings or cancellations.

I have purchased protection before, for the just in case.  Mostly when I am booking really far ahead.  I have never needed it yet, but would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.  Next time, you can book the cruise and then get quotes from private companies.

Sorry, I can't answer any of your other questions.

Not sure you can get drinks package for 1 person.

I'm curious about calling in to just get one drink package.  If it only took a phone call I think lots of people would be doing this to save money?  You'd have to prove you have a medical condition that proves you can't drink. 

What's Royal Up????

28 minutes ago, Lynzeej said:

We haven't cruised since 2018 so I'm rusty.  Can someone help answer some or all of these questions for me?

• I didn't opt to include tips with my payment.  Can I go back and add this somewhere or am I now stuck to pay them in full on the cruise?  I used to know this...

• For the first time ever I opted "in" on the Vacation Protection.  It's too late now, I bought it.  But was that smart?  I grew up with people always telling me it's dumb and a waste of money, LOL.  Please make me feel better about buying it.  

• I need some help deciding if the drink package (over $1,200.00) is going to be worth it or not for me and my husband.  Since 2018, I see that RC has gotten wise and is making BOTH adults get the package.  I think RC was the last cruise line to make this rule?  I'm pretty sure Carnival and others have been doing this for years.  Drinks average about $10-$15 each with the 18% gratuity on top of that right?

• Remind me please - when does everything open up to make reservations on Cruise Planner for onboard activities (iFly, FlowRider), etc?  How many days before the cruise does the neat new app load info?

• Husband is worried that there will be SO many people on board (we've never sailed these big ships before) that our son won't be able to do things (like the iFly, the bunge thing, or FlowRider).  He's also worried about long lines everywhere.  Suggestions here?  Past experiences?  Are the activities something we can book ahead of time or as soon as we get on the boat we RUN like crazy people somewhere and sign up? No, we aren't in a suite so we don't have that awesome luxury of having the Concierge booking for us.  

• Speaking of suites...are there wait-lists for suites?  They were all booked up but I'm sure people cancel.  Do these get doled out to the top tier of the Crown & Anchor people first and then trickles down to the lower tiered C&A people?  

• Suggestions on excursions for Aruba and Curacao?  First time there for us.  I've heard there are Flamingos in Aruba.  So cool!

Lindsay from Texas

Sailed Royal Caribbean:

· Independence of the Seas 3.8.15: 6-Night Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale

· Independence of the Seas 3.15.14: 8-Night Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale

Other Cruises:

· 1st Cruise! Princess Cruise (not sure which one). This was 27 years ago with my parents. 2 weeks in Hawaii.

You can add tips at anytime. We usually wait and use OBC.

If you are not past final payment date you may be able to cancel the vacation insurance plan. Coverages are horrible and more expensive compared to individual polices. Look at the medical/evacuation coverage limits.

If you plan to have more than 5-6 drinks a day then definitely get the drink package. Remember it covers a lot more than just alcohol. You might be able to call and get an exception but that person will still will be required to buy a non-alcohol package. Don’t be one of “those” people and think you can just share drinks.....

Start looking between 120-90 days out to book entertainment on oasis class ships.

Lago Mar is a great place to stay. It’s right next to the port so you can see ships come in and leave the harbor.

Edited by CruisingHogFan
  • Like 3

On drink package please keep a eye on prices I have seen it vary as much as 20 dollars a day per person, I would check it almost daily, same goes for suites I have seen them open up as late as a week before sailing, once really wanted a aft grand suite on brilliance and it wasn’t available for about a year after I booked then it became free and was able to book it. Suites are really nice on larger ships since almost all reservations are not needed, also suite lounge and suite dining room.  For shore excursions we have had great luck ask your roll call what private tours are available and avoiding ship tours. Good luck.

• Like 1

If one gets the drinks pkg, and you call up the other has to get the refreshment pkg at least. It's not just one pkg for both. At least that's what I read. Refreshment is mocktails, soda, water, coffee etc.

You dont say which ship? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lynzeej said:

Lindsay from Texas

Sailed Royal Caribbean:

Other Cruises:

Howdy Lindsay from a fellow Texan! emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum. 👍  It is the forum for general questions regarding cruising. However, your thread is off-topic there since most of your questions concern the cruise line for your cruise. 

To help you out, I have moved the thread to the Royal Caribbean International forum where it will be on topic. The majority of your fellow Cruise Critic members that have sailed on RCI and Odyssey Of The Seas frequent this forum and provide feedback here. Browse through thread titles and l👀k for titles of interest. You will probably find  your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

For information regarding Ft. Lauderdale, please research the  Florida Departures forum. As for Aruba and Curacao, please research their forums in the Caribbean sub-forum. Again, you will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will help you.

Please remember the following stated in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread/topic on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information they will reply to you.

It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning only one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. emo3.gif  You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry as that sort of information will help your fellow members help you.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! See How To: Submit a Member Review.

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 2

A large number of people have commented about calling in for one package, but I believe firefly is correct that the second person has to get the refreshment package.  It still saves a fair amount of money.

Royal Up is like a bidding process.  They will email guests with an option of upgraded cabins that they can bid on.  If the cabins are available, Royal Caribbean will choose one bid to get the available cabin.  I'm not sure how they decide to send the emails, but I believe that if you don't get one, you can check on line around 30 days ahead of time.  Someone did respond that even 23 days ahead they couldn't access it, so I'm not sure about it.  I'll post the link here.  Our most recent cruise where we were interested in this was cancelled with all the others before I could try this.

If you haven’t received the e mail at 30 days you can use this link. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

Edited by KimA75
add website
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lynzeej said:
  •  

They will add your tips to your bill.

since covid makes things complicated, I don’t think trip protection is a bad idea.

The drink package includes water, fancy coffees, soda, and alcohol.  For us, the drink pkg makes sense.  Just so the vague math ($4 for non-alcohol, $10 for alcohol), to see if it makes sense to you.

we love the embassy suites on 17th in ft lauderdale

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

They will add your tips to your bill.

since covid makes things complicated, I don’t think trip protection is a bad idea.

The drink package includes water, fancy coffees, soda, and alcohol.  For us, the drink pkg makes sense.  Just so the vague math ($4 for non-alcohol, $10 for alcohol), to see if it makes sense to you.

we love the embassy suites on 17th in ft lauderdale

Agree on embassy suites on 17st , I tried other hotels but always come back to that , we have that booked for our November allure cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

If one gets the drinks pkg, and you call up the other has to get the refreshment pkg at least. It's not just one pkg for both. At least that's what I read. Refreshment is mocktails, soda, water, coffee etc.

You dont say which ship? 

Oh sorry, Odyssey on March 12, 2022.  8-Day Southern Caribbean Cruise (Grand C, Aruba, etc).

2 hours ago, Lynzeej said:

• I didn't opt to include tips with my payment.  Can I go back and add this somewhere or am I now stuck to pay them in full on the cruise?  I used to know this...     You can call customer service and pre-pay for gratuities when you know your sailing is actually sailing.

• For the first time ever I opted "in" on the Vacation Protection.  It's too late now, I bought it.  But was that smart?  I grew up with people always telling me it's dumb and a waste of money, LOL.  Please make me feel better about buying it.      It is not a waste of money, it is good to have, especially while traveling during a pandemic.   

• I need some help deciding if the drink package (over $1,200.00) is going to be worth it or not for me and my husband.  Since 2018, I see that RC has gotten wise and is making BOTH adults get the package.  I think RC was the last cruise line to make this rule?  I'm pretty sure Carnival and others have been doing this for years.  Drinks average about $10-$15 each with the 18% gratuity on top of that right?    When purchasing items on cruise planner you should have the option to repurchase if the price decreases.    i.e. if you buy the deluxe drink package for $60 pp and it goes on sale for $46 pp (which sometimes happens) you can cancel the existing $60 pp order and repurchase at the sail price.    This goes for excursions too.   Although there was a rumor they may stop allowing this in the future.      Also, one can buy the deluxe drink package and another can buy the standard beverage package if someone is not a big drinker.   To do this you need to call customer service.    It will not allow you do online.     Yes, most drinks cost between $8 to $13 or $14.   So most times it is worth the cost unless you are doing a port intensive trip and won't be spending a lot of time drinking on the ship.
  • Suggestions on cool places to stay night before cruise in Ft. Lauderdale?    We have stayed several hotels pre-cruise and our favorites are Pier-Sixty Six(under major renovation right now), Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina and Embassy Suites on 17th St.   You can check out the water taxi and take a tour of the area and it stops at several restaurants.    One of our favorite restaurants when we stay in this area is Kelly's Seafood - great atmosphere, delicious food and great prices
  • https://www.kellyslanding.com/full.html
  •  
  • Remind me please - when does everything open up to make reservations on Cruise Planner for onboard activities (iFly, FlowRider), etc?  How many days before the cruise does the neat new app load info?    That I am unsure about..hopefully someone else can answer this questions. 

• Husband is worried that there will be SO many people on board (we've never sailed these big ships before) that our son won't be able to do things (like the iFly, the bunge thing, or FlowRider).  He's also worried about long lines everywhere.  Suggestions here?  Past experiences?  Are the activities something we can book ahead of time or as soon as we get on the boat we RUN like crazy people somewhere and sign up? No, we aren't in a suite so we don't have that awesome luxury of having the Concierge booking for us.     You definitely want to book as soon as you can.

• Speaking of suites...are there wait-lists for suites?  They were all booked up but I'm sure people cancel.  Do these get doled out to the top tier of the Crown & Anchor people first and then trickles down to the lower tiered C&A people?     suites are first come first serve.   You can check the royalcaribbean website on a regular basis and see if any suites open up or when sailings do restart they may start back up a program called Royal Up where you could bid on upgrading to a particular cabin type (depending on what is available)

• Suggestions on excursions for Aruba and Curacao?  First time there for us.  I've heard there are Flamingos in Aruba.  So cool!      Aruba and Curacao are two of our favorite islands.     We love snorkeling so we like to take the catamaran/snorkeling excursions that usually give you some beach time too.     You will love how clear the water is - amazing!  You may want to take the bus tour that goes around Aruba as well as the California Lighthouse then gives you an hour or two on the beach.   If you have extra time you could stay on the beach longer and just take a taxi back to the cruise port.   Just make sure to tell the tour bus driver so they aren't sitting there waiting for you.   Many beaches right down the road from the cruise port.  Eagle beach is a very nice spot to spend the day too.  Taxis and buses are very easy form of transportation on the island.   they just don't like you getting on with wet bathing suits.    The only time I actually saw the flamingos was by taking a tour bus that went to the area they usually hang at.     

I think I covered everything above.    Have fun planning.   You will absolutely love your Southern Caribbean cruise.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

Agree on embassy suites on 17st , I tried other hotels but always come back to that , we have that booked for our November allure cruise.

Embassy does have a great breakfast buffet and sometimes I stay here to use their laundry room in between cruises.   Also, a decent evening happy hour.    And shopping center behind it is easy walk to get my 2 bottles of wine to take on the cruise.   they offer the shuttle bus to the cruise port but I found it cheaper to take uber to the port.  

• Like 2

I was able to call and cancel my drink package in Feb 2020 for medical reasons.  I had broken my foot 2 weeks prior to cruise and was using going to be using a knee scooter.  The customer service rep cancelled and changed it to a soda package for me without issue.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lynzeej said:

Lindsay from Texas

Sailed Royal Caribbean:

Other Cruises:

Oasis Class with 6500 passengers feels far less crowded than most ships we have ever been on.  I would assume Quantum class is laid out similar with Royal doing a great job of keeping activities going mid ship, forward, and aft at the same time.  Plus you are sailing a month before easter Sunday.  happy cruising

• Like 2

DW is a wine drinker so I get the alcohol package for her.  I am not what you would consider a drinker, example on last 21 cruise days have purchased 1 beer.  

When I learned on these boards to call about not wanting the alcohol package for both of us, they did require me to obtain the refreshment package.  So happens I love speciality coffee, fresh OJ, water so that worked out perfect for us, and saves about $200 on a 7 night cruise.

i don’t really drink soda either, but made up for it with coffee, water, and OJ. Also some of the mock tails are terrific.

Eddie

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lynzeej said:

• Suggestions on cool places to stay night before cruise in Ft. Lauderdale

We always stop in Courtyard by Marriott, Fort Lauderdale Beach. Great hotel just across the road from a lovely beach. Plenty of bars and restaurants within an easy walk. The last time we stopped there it was a $15 taxi ride to the port. We get there early enough to have an afternoon on the beach before departing for the cruise the next morning.

I too recommend the Embassy Suites.  It is very close to the port;  has a grocery store right behind it and plenty of places to eat the night prior.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I too recommend the Embassy Suites.  It is very close to the port;  has a grocery store right behind it and plenty of places to eat the night prior.  Enjoy your cruise.

I've looked into this Embassy...kinda pricey ($330 per night)? Ouch.

On 4/13/2021 at 1:04 PM, Lynzeej said:

I need some help deciding if the drink package (over $1,200.00) is going to be worth it or not for me and my husband.  Since 2018, I see that RC has gotten wise andh is making BOTH adults get the package.  I think RC was the last cruise line to make this rule?  I'm pretty sure Carnival and others have been doing this for years. 

I cruise both Royal Caribbean and Princess.

Just FYI, Princess does not require everyone in the cabin to purchase the beverage package.  Princess does have a Princess Plus Fare that (currently only for $40 per person per day!) includes unlimited Wi-Fi, full gratuities, and their Premium Beverage Package with tips:  this fare requires everyone in the same cabin to be booked under the Princess Plus Fare.

---

Cheers, -R-

Edited by RSS from SF

38 minutes ago, Lynzeej said:

I've looked into this Embassy...kinda pricey ($330 per night)? Ouch.

Prices vary all over the place even from day to day.  So keep looking.  Embassy and one of the Hyatts are adjacent to the Harbor Shops mall on 17th.  Total Wine, Publix grocery and a bunch of restaurants there.  We prefer Embassy but Hyatt, and both the Hilton and Marriott next to the bridge are also good.  We usually get best price (although only first two include breakfast).  Check hhonors web site for Hilton hotels and keep checking back - very easy to modify a reservation and we have saved over $100 on trips doing that.

Note that ship features vary - iFly only on Anthem-class ships, bungie only a few ships, ice rinks and water shows only on certain ships, water slides only on certain ships.  In the past you could only book Flo-rider lessons or private sessions in advance.  Normal use is free.  On Anthem, one iFly free and bookable in advance, other use was space-available.  Shows should be booked in advance but this just gets you entry - no specific seat.  Some shows this is needed, others have massive space-A.  They open up that 15 minutes or so before show.  Very easy to change reservations once onboard with the app.

Mixed feelings about big ships.  Ton of things to do and you really don't see huge crowds.  But they only go to limited ports.  

Check the Aruba and Curacao boards for ideas.  We normally just take the local bus 10 to the beach in Aruba for $2.40US each way (Arubus runs every 20 minutes or so).  We also liked the 4x4 tour, the snorkeling trips (strong current, though), and the DePalm Island tour in Aruba.  Aruba is our favorite island.  Several beach tours available in Curacao but walking into town is interesting on its own.  In near future you may be limited to excursions from the cruise line if you want to go onshore.

• Like 1