Woohoo Australia/New Zealand Travel Bubble

So, now we’ve got a travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand let’s hope we can get the ships down here to get us cruising again.

The industry has had plenty of time to put some protocols in place and to make adjustments to the infrastructure to ensure “social distancing”.

As long as we are all vaccinated and tested on a regular basis there is no reason to delay any longer. Let’s get back to sea.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, heddyjan said:

So, now we’ve got a travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand let’s hope we can get the ships down here to get us cruising again.

The industry has had plenty of time to put some protocols in place and to make adjustments to the infrastructure to ensure “social distancing”.

As long as we are all vaccinated and tested on a regular basis there is no reason to delay any longer. Let’s get back to sea.

Cruise ships have been excluded from the Travel Bubble.  Specifically.  I would be surprised to see international cruise ships based in Australia for the 21/22 summer season.

15 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Cruise ships have been excluded from the Travel Bubble.  Specifically.  I would be surprised to see international cruise ships based in Australia for the 21/22 summer season.

After the experience with the Ruby Princess not surprising

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Regrettably I think you might be right. Now that some limited cruising has been scheduled from the UK, Athens, and St Maarten my TA thinks that cruise lines will just redeploy ships to where they can get business and the longer Govts down here make no decisions they will go elsewhere and not wait.

I would be happy to just do Princess cruises around Aust and limited to Australian and NZ people but even this doesn't look good, especially now people have been scared off by the AZ blood clotting scare. Not me, I've had my first AZ shot, because I will not be panicked by the media.

• Like 1

Although, in normal times, there are plenty of Australian and New Zealand cruisers on ships in this part of the world I cannot see there being enough willing to cruise to allow the cruise lines to make a profit with a full season in the area.

• Like 2

Tell him he's dreamin".....................

So for Australia

A bubble of travel may be on the cards or books.....

but when will it happen and how long will it last....

Cruise Ships ( major lines ) I really can't see happening until 22-23 season which is depressing..

So for the mean time road trip.... maybe flying.... cruising out

• Like 1

3 hours ago, casofilia said:

Although, in normal times, there are plenty of Australian and New Zealand cruisers on ships in this part of the world I cannot see there being enough willing to cruise to allow the cruise lines to make a profit with a full season in the area.

Maybe in NZ. In Australia I have no doubt that we would fill cruise ships. Most of my cruising colleagues can't wait to get moving again. I don't think that cruise lines would have a typical full season but if say it was 50% of usual, then I think they would fill the ships.

They took away our “happy hour” because they couldn’t cope 🍹🍹

As to whether we could fill the cruise ships .....hell yes

Try booking an Around Australia cruise a few days after release and the only berth you’ll get would be in a lifeboat.

if the ships are allowed through our borders and just sail in and around our travel bubble they will make a fortune.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

Do you think the planned Sept/Oct 2022 transpacifics from the West coast of N America to Sydney will be a go by then?  Or wait until they go the other way in April 2023?

Don

Princess has cancelled the Coral Princess trans pacific/repositioning cruise from LA to Sydney in September 2022, also the Emerald Princess - same jorney, Seattle to Sydney in October 2022.   Check the cancellation list below, alarming.

pause-extension-into-2021.pdf

Edited by NSWP

6 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

Do you think the planned Sept/Oct 2022 transpacifics from the West coast of N America to Sydney will be a go by then?  Or wait until they go the other way in April 2023?

Don

I don't know, but I don't think so.  It depends when countries open their borders to foreign ships.  That depends when countries have the pandemic under control.  This week Aus/NZ have opened a travel bubble between the countries. Both countries have very low virus transmission.  Most positive cases come from returning Aussies/Kiwis. I think initially cruising will be within countries with local people only.

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I don't know, but I don't think so.  It depends when countries open their borders to foreign ships.  That depends when countries have the pandemic under control.  This week Aus/NZ have opened a travel bubble between the countries. Both countries have very low virus transmission.  Most positive cases come from returning Aussies/Kiwis. I think initially cruising will be within countries with local people only.

I have attached the latest cancellation list, re Princess anyway, a no show.

pause-extension-into-2021.pdf

17 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Princess has cancelled the Coral Princess trans pacific/repositioning cruise from LA to Sydney in September 2022, also the Emerald Princess - same jorney, Seattle to Sydney in October 2022.   Check the cancellation list below, alarming.

pause-extension-into-2021.pdfUnavailable

No, they've cancelled the 2021 Coral repositioning (not 2022), which doesn't necessarily mean she's not coming here, it just means that if she does come here she won't be bringing a ship load of passengers with her.

It's far too early to speculate what will happen Seot/Oct 2022. If Coral does come here this year she is scheduled to stay over to do the 2022 big cruises although I doubt the world cruise will happen.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, they've cancelled the 2021 Coral repositioning (not 2022), which doesn't necessarily mean she's not coming here, it just means that if she does come here she won't be bringing a ship load of passengers with her.

It's far too early to speculate what will happen Seot/Oct 2022. If Coral does come here this year she is scheduled to stay over to do the 2022 big cruises although I doubt the world cruise will happen.

Correct 2021, typo. They will have to sail an empty ship to this region then to maker her available for the scheduled cruise season and perhaps the WC. That may happen if Scomo lets the ships in !

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, heddyjan said:

They took away our “happy hour” because they couldn’t cope 🍹🍹

As to whether we could fill the cruise ships .....hell yes

Try booking an Around Australia cruise a few days after release and the only berth you’ll get would be in a lifeboat.

if the ships are allowed through our borders and just sail in and around our travel bubble they will make a fortune.

Agreed - and it also seems to have worked for them in other parts of the world - Italy, UK about to start, Caribean also going to start for US passengers.  

The interesting thing is if they would insist on social distancing and masks - that will be the key bit. I'm a hard no on masks and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one (its not political - I can't see with them on because I wear bifocals ) 

33 minutes ago, lissie said:

Agreed - and it also seems to have worked for them in other parts of the world - Italy, UK about to start, Caribean also going to start for US passengers.  

The interesting thing is if they would insist on social distancing and masks - that will be the key bit. I'm a hard no on masks and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one (its not political - I can't see with them on because I wear bifocals ) 

The ones currently operating insist on masks when moving around inside the ship, and in the theatres. You can remove them once you are seated in a dining area or bar and, of course, they aren't required in your cabin. I guess it depends on people's routine onboard as to whether that is a problem.

Have you ever considered getting panoramic multifocals? I wear those, as does my DH, and neither of us have problems with masks. The panoramic ones are very effective, almost like wearing no glasses at all, as the graduations between focal lengths are smooth. They aren't cheap, especially if you get transitional lenses that go dark in bright light so you don't need sunglasses, but they are worth every dollar. If your vision is relatively stable they'll last you for years.

7 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

Don

37 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Yes.

I think there is a 50/50 chance. It will all depend on how well the US gets the virus under control.