Natural immunity and no vaccine shot

Hangman115

32 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I'm old enough to remember when a kid in the neighborhood getting chickenpox would be the signal for the moms to organize playdates with their kids and the infected kid so their kids could become infected and thereby become immune.

It is amazing the extent to which COVID caused us to jettison things we have known for decades, like the inefficacy of masks to control infectious respiratory diseases, the unlikelihood of virus transmission through hard surfaces, the existence of natural immunity among previously infected people, etc.

Only proves that people act foolishly. Chickenpox can be deadly. Without vaccinations we might still be in the era of child mortality rates five times what it is today. 

As far as I'm concerned the science proves that mask wearing reduces transmission of infectious respiratory diseases.

• Like 5

At the end of the day, being vaccinated protects you against CV19. If you have had CV19, you can get it again, so get vaccinated. 

For goodness sake people - just get vaccinated ! 

Look at the UK  - from 1200 deaths a day to 6 a day in 5 months. How did that happen ? Rapid,  mass vaccination is the answer.

So, all of you vaccine deniers, please look at the facts.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, wowzz said:

At the end of the day, being vaccinated protects you against CV19. If you have had CV19, you can get it again, so get vaccinated. 

Look at the UK  - from 1200 deaths a day to 6 a day in 5 months. How did that happen ? Rapid,  mass vaccination is the answer.

That's an unfair request -- they do not like facts that suggest they do something they do not understand, so asking them to look at the facts puts them in an awkward position --as opposed to people who are interested in learning the facts and behaving intelligently and responsibly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I'm old enough to remember when a kid in the neighborhood getting chickenpox would be the signal for the moms to organize playdates with their kids and the infected kid so their kids could become infected and thereby become immune.

And those kids were probably very grateful for the risk of Shingles later on in life😂

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 5

Let's see...what eradicated smallpox? A combination of scientific intervention and efforts to control the spread? Or letting it run amok through indigenous populations? Should the survivors have been thrilled to get that good old "natural immunity"?

A safe vaccine is always preferrable to a disease. "Natural immunity" is only available to survivors.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Let's see...what eradicated smallpox? A combination of scientific intervention and efforts to control the spread? Or letting it run amok through indigenous populations? Should the survivors have been thrilled to get that good old "natural immunity"?

A safe vaccine is always preferrable to a disease. "Natural immunity" is only available to survivors.

Especially if the choice is between getting infected with a sometimes lethal virus that can have long term health effects for survivors and getting the shot with potential 24 -35 hour side effects..

To date, there are no long haul after effects from the vaccine, but they are still learning about the risks COVID survivors face.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

And yet those "i do my own research" folks will say that incredible success has nothing to do with the vaccines.  

Folks need to step up and do their part to end this pandemic.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, broberts said:

Only proves that people act foolishly. Chickenpox can be deadly. Without vaccinations we might still be in the era of child mortality rates five times what it is today. 

As far as I'm concerned the science proves that mask wearing reduces transmission of infectious respiratory diseases.

Oh vey.  95% of Americans are vaccinated against chicken pox, yet there are about 4,000,000 cases per annum and about 100 deaths.  In a country of 330,000,000.

Funny how the science said, for decades, that masks are not effective in stopping the transmission of respiratory viruses and then, abracadabra, they became de rigeur.  And in the event there is no correlation between mask compliance and infection rates.

Here is a blast from the not so distant past:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200305052928/https:/time.com/5794729/coronavirus-face-masks/

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

And yet those "i do my own research" folks will say that incredible success has nothing to do with the vaccines.  

Folks need to step up and do their part to end this pandemic.  

Don’t forget the people who handle their own health care - because doctors only want to push pills.

17 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

And those kids were probably very grateful for the risk of Shingles later on in life😂

You are aware that getting the chicken pox vaccine doesn't eliminate the risk of getting shingles, although it may reduce the liklihood?  May, as in they really haven't nailed this down.

You are also aware, I hope, that anyone who had chickenpox as a kid who is worried about shingles can assuage those fears by simply getting the shingles vaccine?

25 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Funny how the science said, for decades, that masks are not effective in stopping the transmission of respiratory viruses and then, abracadabra, they became de rigeur.  And in the event there is no correlation between mask compliance and infection rates.

To what, exactly, do you attribute the historically low flu incidence this past season? Rumor has it that masks, and other Covid precautions, helped a lot. BTW, I simply love your last assertion--no opinion, no acknowledging tons of research contradicting you....no, just a blank statement as if you are stating a fact. "I say it is so, so poof! It is magically so!"

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

To what, exactly, do you attribute the historically low flu incidence this past season? Rumor has it that masks, and other Covid precautions, helped a lot. BTW, I simply love your last assertion--no opinion, no acknowledging tons of research contradicting you....no, just a blank statement as if you are stating a fact. "I say it is so, so poof! It is magically so!"

Flu misdiagnosed as COVID.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

To what, exactly, do you attribute the historically low flu incidence this past season?

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Flu misdiagnosed as COVID.

Misdiagnosed, or only tested for COVID instead of testing for both COVID and Flu.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Don’t forget the people who handle their own health care - because doctors only want to push pills.

Yep.  You know, people can ultimately decide not to do their part to help combat this pandemic, but I wish they would shut up with the nonsense justifications for their choices.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

You are aware that getting the chicken pox vaccine doesn't eliminate the risk of getting shingles, although it may reduce the liklihood?  May, as in they really haven't nailed this down.

You are also aware, I hope, that anyone who had chickenpox as a kid who is worried about shingles can assuage those fears by simply getting the shingles vaccine?

So a vaccine can reduce your risk to further complications of one disease and completly eliminate another disease😲? These vaccines really are better than natural immunity😉😂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ldubs said:

You know, people can ultimately decide not to do their part to help combat this pandemic, but I wish they would shut up with the nonsense justifications for their choices.

This just about sums it up.

I'm disheartened by -- and just plain tired of -- hearing from people who seem to think every physician is out there falsely diagnosing COVID and pushing vaccines. People need to get out of their conspiracy theory bubble.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

People need to get out of their conspiracy theory bubble.

I think some posters (present company excluded) may be reading too much Dan Brown....I like his style but the plane usually lands before I finish the book.

We've had some good postings on CC from virologists and epidemiologists over the past year or so and I will be the first to tell you that everything I know about viruses I learned right here,  but I think I know how to separate the pros from the cons.

That being said,   I sense their 15 minutes of fame is fleeting away.

We need to start thinking like Anthropology arm-chair quarterbacks!

18 hours ago, mayleeman said:

To what, exactly, do you attribute the historically low flu incidence this past season?

I would attribute some of it to parents not having to attend a crowded auditorium at Christmas to watch the annual school play and share sneezing and coughing droplets with the rest of the parents and relatives and kids.

Just one example where we could probably make some improvements in the future to prevent flu and cold bugs from spreading.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRG said:

I would attribute some of it to parents not having to attend a crowded auditorium at Christmas to watch the annual school play and share sneezing and coughing droplets with the rest of the parents and relatives and kids.

And those that did attend such spreader events usually wore masks (Oh, damn —-I forgot all the advice posted on CC about how masks are utterly useless, pointless and only an assault on the rights of those who have done their “own research”,  perpetrated by those frauds with degrees in medicine, epidemiology, virology, etc.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2021 at 5:22 PM, broberts said:

COVID is found in aerosol form. That is really why the mask mandates are going away. A piece of cloth does not protect you from an aerosol virus. Obviously, when you continue to use the words "science" and "proof" and say the opposite, you really care about neither word. 

On 5/23/2021 at 7:12 PM, wowzz said:

On 5/23/2021 at 7:57 PM, navybankerteacher said:

That's an unfair request -- they do not like facts that suggest they do something they do not understand, so asking them to look at the facts puts them in an awkward position --as opposed to people who are interested in learning the facts and behaving intelligently and responsibly.

I wouldn't expect either of you to look at the facts

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54908177

99% of COVID deaths are people over 44 years of age. The concentration is higher as you get older. It also gets higher as comorbidities are involved. There is no science that the young and healthy need it. One article you quickly Google doesn't change that either. As you say, "look at the facts". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

There is no science that the young and healthy need it.

What nonsense. If someone can get sick from Covid, or pass it on while being asymptomatic, then the vaccine helps. Thousands of young and healthy people have died, and many thousands more have been hospitalized.

You betray a horrifyingly common misconception of statistics: 1% of 20 million people worldwide is still 200,000. But maybe you don't give two hoots about the ones who have died because they are old, or have comorbidities, and you think, "Eh, not my group." Your group is the entire human race, all of whom are at risk in some fashion, even if only by grieving people they lose.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

COVID is found in aerosol form. That is really why the mask mandates are going away. A piece of cloth does not protect you from an aerosol virus. Obviously, when you continue to use the words "science" and "proof" and say the opposite, you really care about neither word. 

I wouldn't expect either of you to look at the facts

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54908177

99% of COVID deaths are people over 44 years of age. The concentration is higher as you get older. It also gets higher as comorbidities are involved. There is no science that the young and healthy need it. One article you quickly Google doesn't change that either. As you say, "look at the facts". 

You maintain that masks do absolutely nothing to affect the spread of covid-19?