New rules about bringing soda, juice and water on board.

CineGraphic

I believe this move is a result of Princess' new-found environmental conscience ... which came about in the wake of their many court appearances for environmental crimes.

I also believe there will be many changes onboard to replace plastics, such as straws and plastic water bottles, individual condiment pkgs ... guessing tbey'll install yogurt dispensers to replace the plastic cups ... Feb 2020 they already replaced the sugar packets.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

I also think they are pushing the Princess Plus package, as those purchasing this option have no reason to bring on any beverages.

That could be the motivation.

We have always purchased the drink package and when on a long cruise/home port bring our own wine. We even have a 12 pack carrier for carry on. 
Princess used to barely mark up their wine in the 90s, making it affordable to just pay their prices but these days if I want good wine I’ll pay the corkage fee and bring my favorites.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

I believe this move is a result of Princess' new-found environmental conscience ... which came about in the wake of their many court appearances for environmental crimes.

I also believe there will be many changes onboard to replace plastics, such as straws and plastic water bottles, individual condiment pkgs ... guessing tbey'll install yogurt dispensers to replace the plastic cups ... Feb 2020 they already replaced the sugar packets.

That’s what it really feels like. If we bring glass and plastic they need to recycle it, and maybe it counts against their volume  of garbage 

Before everyone gets too tangled up here, I'd like to make two points:

1) The contract document posted with all these changes seems to be a work in progress. It was last updated in April of 2021 and doesn't reflect for instance, the latest CDC guidance regarding masks for vaccinated people.

2) I see in my bookings, the contract officially published goes back to 2019.

So, while this latest currently unofficial document is likely a draft, we can all expect even more changes and not all the current changes may "stick".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennybenny said:

these days if I want good wine I’ll pay the corkage fee and bring my favorites.

Exactly. A $5 increase to be able to drink what I want is a small price to pay. If nickle and diming it, it's still cheaper to BYOB. But on longer voyages they seem to not have / run out of my favorite 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Exactly. A $5 increase to be able to drink what I want is a small price to pay. If nickle and diming it, it's still cheaper to BYOB. But on longer voyages they seem to not have / run out of my favorite 

Great point!  In fact, we use Nakedwines.com for our wines...which means a bottle that Princess will charge $60 for we get for $20...add the $20 corkage fee and we still save 1/3 of the cost buying it on board.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

Yep. Limited cans only. No idea where / who sells paper containers 

water now comes in cartons and cans. They aren't has cheap as the bottled water because they not bottled by the large bottling companies like Poland Spring. Eventually the mainstream brands will get on board. You know how it goes. If it's healthy or good for the environment it cost more.

12 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

This is what happens when people cheat - it makes it more difficult for the rest of us. I suspect it is too easy to refill and recap a glass or plastic bottle and that people have used them to sneak alcoholic beverages onboard.

The water cartons have a screw off top as well and since they are opaque you can fill them with anything.

Edited by Iamcruzin

15 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Probably applies to things like milk and juices

There are also a couple of water companies that are doing paper type containers in an attempt to do away with the single use plastics.

30 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I always flew with an empty water bottle through TSA and then filled it later.

22 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Shouldn't be a problem. We carry 2 refillable bottles thru TSA checkpoints. Never even been looked at.

Learn something new every day ..... but then I haven't flown since 2019 & Montreal had an 'issue' with it (just plain bottled water in 2018)

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Learn something new every day ..... but then I haven't flown since 2019 & Montreal had an 'issue' with it (just plain bottled water in 2018)

Keep in mind, the bottle has to be empty when you go through Security. After the Security check I stop at the first water fountain I see, refill there and carry onto the plane.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bj24 said:

Maybe post COVID pause it will change.  I carried on water and soda on celebrity and Azamara and princess in  2019 and 2020 so not standard practice 

I too am wondering if this is for the Covid issue and might be modified?  Hoping anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Redwing55 said:

I too am wondering if this is for the Covid issue and might be modified?  Hoping anyway.

I meant the change in policy must be post Covid because I have always carried on water, I think it’s an environmental thing.  Will bring canned pop and water.

BTW - I am huge Red Wing fan but what the heck has happened to them the last several years?!  So sad

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm just going to bring my refillable bottle. No issue getting it to SF Port. Hoping I can carry it thru TSA

In the past we always brought our refillable metal water bottles and had no problems at the San Francisco Cruise Terminal.

6 hours ago, bj24 said:

I meant the change in policy must be post Covid because I have always carried on water, I think it’s an environmental thing.  Will bring canned pop and water.

BTW - I am huge Red Wing fan but what the heck has happened to them the last several years?!  So sad

It does appear that it MAY be environmental.. but I'm hoping that they'll allow pop in cans in checked bags.  I've only carried it on once, but thought I might do it again for our 15 day coming up in February.  I've typically bought the pop package but tried other options on our 7 day and it worked pretty well.  Though I did have a coffee card and that was worth it.  If my wife would drink, we'd probably sign up for the Up package (forget what it's called)  but we get enough free wifi now and she doesn't drink alcohol so it's tough to justify.

As for the Redwings... Gulp,  Though a lot of us are hoping Stevie Y will bring the Cup back again... so far, the pieces are still being put in place.  Here's hoping!

33 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

I'm hoping that they'll allow pop in cans in checked bags. 

According to the terms below, you'll have to carry your soda on board.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

According to the terms below, you'll have to carry your soda on board.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Yup, I read that.  Still maybe they'll amend it.... one can hope anyway.  If not, I'll get by.

17 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Quite simply:  yes

I believe that the contract in place when you sail, not the one when you book, is the governing document.

Contract says they can change it at any time. Also says Captain can change it in board.

contract protects Princess, not the customers.

• Like 1