Fly into Miama day of cruise or day before

We have up to this point always flown into the departing city the day before the cruise.  We will be flying from Nashville

to Miami and am curious if flying the morning of would be advisable (or not).  Our flight arrives at 10:55 a.m. with Southwest.

Southwest seems to be (my experience) good at arriving on time...any advise or thoughts??

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, gdwest said:

We have up to this point always flown into the departing city the day before the cruise.  We will be flying from Nashville

to Miami and am curious if flying the morning of would be advisable (or not).  Our flight arrives at 10:55 a.m. with Southwest.

Southwest seems to be (my experience) good at arriving on time...any advise or thoughts??

Thanks!

You already know the risk

• Like 3

So, in today’s world the thought of flying in the day of is just .....   

I remember doing it for a Mediterranean cruise back in 2000, with my wife, mother, mother-in-law, and friends meeting friends there.  

I was a complete moron.  

I can’t imagine taking that risk knowing what I do now.

Sometime in the mid 2014-15 time frame, I flew an airline who flies 2 or 3 times a week to Florida... I remember a January storm moving in around the time we were to fly out.  I was literally going we make this flight or I need to make a 23 hour drive to Fort Lauderdale, immediately when it gets cancelled, and I might make the flight.  

I don’t book that airline any more

In my younger years I was known to be a bit of a nervous ninny.  Unfortunately, due to working everyone’s schedules, we flew into Miami the morning of a cruise, which caused me sleeplessness.  My DW is the opposite of me and doesn’t let things like this bother her.

So when we HAD to fly in the day of a cruise, we did it without event, several times.  Always made sure the flights arrived before noon.  

Now, older and wiser, I am not such a nervous ninny, but also don’t have the obstacles in place, and can fly in the day prior. So we now fly early to start the adventure a day earlier.  But many fly in the morning of their cruise.

The only time we were scheduled to fly in the day before was a cruise out of Tampa. Covid killed that one. We live in Fort Lauderdale so we could have driven the 5 hours if something went wrong. We always fly in 5 - 7 days before depending on location for extra sightseeing. We will never fly in the day of. Way to many things can go wrong. Flying in the day before would make for a lot less stress to begin with. All it takes is one time to happen and it will really screw up your vacation if you miss the ship. I think the extra money for a hotel is worth the piece of mind and  then you can just relax. 🍹

13 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I was talking about all the regular people...

I know. We're jealous! But hey, we are getting Navigator  this year, that we can actually fly to, day of! :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

I have done this several times but it still makes me nervous.  Coming from the west coast if something happens to the plane you would only have perhaps the first flight in the morning  if  that. The 2 times I  didn't worry and came in same day was Hawaii and Puerto Rico both very late departures.

In 2008, we took our kids and their spouses on a cruise out of FLL.  We planned to fly in the day before which we did even though there was a terrible snowstorm in Chicago.  On the flight down, DH & I realized that we had forgotten our passports.  Thanks to a tremendous TA, who took a locksmith to our house, got the passports off of hubby's dresser and FedEx'd them to our Florida hotel, we made it to our cruise.  If we had flown in the day of, only the kids/spouses would have been on that cruise.

57 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

How about a red-eye? I have no interest in spending more money and time in Florida.

Because I would sleep the first 2 days of the cruise to get used to the time change. :classic_tongue::classic_biggrin: It only gets more difficult, the older we get. We now spend 2 nights prior to Florida cruises. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coralc said:

I know. We're jealous! But hey, we are getting Navigator  this year, that we can actually fly to, day of! :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

We can drive to San Pedro....about an hour depending on traffic...Whoo Hoo can't wait :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

How about a red-eye? I have no interest in spending more money and time in Florida.

We've flown from LAX - FLL a few times on the red-eye.

I would fly in the day of the cruise but the following conditions must be in place:

1. Minimize weather (be cautious of winter weather) and if you do fly in the winter make sure the incoming plane is coming from a southern region

2. Only fly out the first flight in the morning (so the plane has all night to arrive)

3. Never do a connection

If you follow these condition you should be just fine.

• Like 5

We have done both ways. I love flying in the day before but sometimes that's not an option. On those trips I will book the earlies time possible and I always book one-way (no stops).  Good luck!

I always take a direct flight from Toronto the day of the cruise . I dont cruise winter months so its not much of an issue . If you tend to worry a lot then fly in the day before for piece of mind.

9 hours ago, gdwest said:

Thanks!

What time of year?  Is it a nonstop flight?

Also what time does the cruise depart?

Edited by time4u2go