Definition of fully Vaccinated

tert333

40 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

The CDC considers you fully vaccinated if you have had the prescribed number of doses of vaccines approved by either the WHO or the US FDA.  They say nothing about the doses having to be the same vaccine.  The key passages are as follows:

Have You Been Fully Vaccinated?

In general, people are considered fully vaccinated: ±

• 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
  • 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine

If you don’t meet these requirements, regardless of your age, you are NOT fully vaccinated. Keep taking all precautions until you are fully vaccinated.

± This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (J&J)/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines.  This guidance can also be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization (e.g. AstraZeneca/Oxford).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

You will need to find similar guidance from the UK.

You have misread the CDC statement. It refers to a 2 dose series. A 2 does series would be 2 doses of the same vaccine, not a mix and match cocktail.

I did find a recent news article about the practice of mixing vaccines:  https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/06/04/1002975563/want-to-mix-2-different-covid-19-vaccines-canada-is-fine-with-that .

At this point the NHS website says this for UK citizens but one could guess that this will change as the studies are validated including one being conducted by Oxford for the very situation you are in:

image.png.f810e42a1b520f3bfc71d18f0dff7277.png

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/

As someone who is cruising on August 8th, I'm anxiously awaiting what Princess considers fully vaccinated and what sort of proof they will require.  Hoping they will provide more information very soon.

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

AZ has not been approved in the US for various reasons. Record keeping (not using most current records for some results), dose packaging issues, which include how about 5K people in Phase 3 testing only got half dose the first time, and actually get a better antibody response on half a dose. That little issue required an entirely different Phase 3 test.

Plus the bloodclotting issue. And the fact the US approval process is more thorough than the European methods.

I had not heard any J&J was sent back. I had heard that a lot of J&J never was shipped in the first place because if issues.

AstraZeneca has never formally applied for approval by the USA. Because there was some issues with data initially they held of applying and by the time they were going to the USA had a huge supply of Moderna, Pfizer and J&J so decided against spending time and effort on getting approval. 

Australia has the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) which vetted AZ and I know a similar organisation checked it in the UK. Or organisations are just as thorough as the FDA and I think it is rather presumptuous to say only the FDA is good enough.

The clotting issue is a rare event and Pfizer also had some issues with anaphylaxis which was reported initially now the media focus on AZ.

Myself, friends and family both here and in the UK have had AZ with little or no issues and we would not be impressed if the USA decided not to allow it since WHO and many other controlling bodies accept it's efficacy.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

AstraZeneca has never formally applied for approval by the USA. Because there was some issues with data initially they held of applying and by the time they were going to the USA had a huge supply of Moderna, Pfizer and J&J so decided against spending time and effort on getting approval. 

Australia has the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) which vetted AZ and I know a similar organisation checked it in the UK. Or organisations are just as thorough as the FDA and I think it is rather presumptuous to say only the FDA is good enough.

The clotting issue is a rare event and Pfizer also had some issues with anaphylaxis which was reported initially now the media focus on AZ.

Myself, friends and family both here and in the UK have had AZ with little or no issues and we would not be impressed if the USA decided not to allow it since WHO and many other controlling bodies accept it's efficacy.

I think what happened was just as AstraZenca was preparing to ask our CDC for an Emergency Use Authorization there were some major problems that surfaced with the vaccines Phase 3 Trials (which would have been the heart of the EUA request).  So everything got put on hold until AZ could provide the necessary acceptable Phase 3 Trial data.  Now there is a new issue (not generally discussed).  The USA really has no need to any more vaccines so there is a question as to whether the CDC will even consider anymore EUA requests.  The procedure for Full Approval does require some additional data so I would think it is possible that AZ will ultimately give up on obtaining an EUA and just seek Full Approval.     But the issue here in the USA had nothing to do with the vaccine or its efficacy but rather some major errors made in the AZ's Phase 3 Trials.

To be clear, in the USA we now have enough vaccine supply (for the currently approved products of Pfizer, Moderna and J&LJ) that anyone wanting to be vaccinated can easily get their shot(s) within hours/days if they so choose.  Emergency Use Authorizations (EUAs) are normally reserved for extraordinary circumstances such as new drugs that are badly needed, supply shortages, etc.  But we no longer have an emergency in terms of COVID vaccines.

Hank 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

To be clear, in the USA we now have enough vaccine supply (for the currently approved products of Pfizer, Moderna and J&LJ) that anyone wanting to be vaccinated can easily get their shot(s) within hours/days if they so choose.  Emergency Use Authorizations (EUAs) are normally reserved for extraordinary circumstances such as new drugs that are badly needed, supply shortages, etc.  But we no longer have an emergency in terms of COVID vaccines.

Hank 

Of course the vaccine supply is just part of the equation - what we need is a larger supply of intelligent, responsible people.   Protocols are being dropped in areas which have achieved high rates of immunization -   but were insufficiently applied in places with low rates.   With the rapid growth of highly transmissible (and perhaps deadlier) Delta variant,  we may be just weeks away from a new surge.

• Like 1

Nobody should even consider getting a third dose of any of the Covid-19 vaccines at this time.  There could be horrible unforeseen consequences, even death. 

Please speak to your doctor if you ever start to entertain such an idea.  

Edited by SuiteTraveler

On 6/15/2021 at 3:04 PM, portiemom said:

I don't know about other states within the USA let alone other countries, but in Delaware we were required to get the 1st and 2nd shot by the same manufacturer. The clinical trials were performed this way. Is there scientific evidence for mixing manufacturers?

Yes, UK definitely and I believe Spain has also conducted studies on mixing AZ and RNA vaccines. Positive results were achieved.

What about the crew?

They are coming from Countries that Pfzier and Moderna are not the main vaccines, so they might have something else. So are they considered fully vaccinated if they don't follow the CDC's definition?

16 hours ago, frantic36 said:

The UK has had tremendous success with AZ in fact. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

19 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

Nobody should even consider getting a third dose of any of the Covid-19 vaccines at this time.  There could be horrible unforeseen consequences, even death. 

Please cite a source for the information your post contains.  

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course the vaccine supply is just part of the equation - what we need is a larger supply of intelligent, responsible people.  

Amen also to that.

Caught the end of a story on the news about the people suing and losing their suit who were told that to keep their hospital jobs they would have to be vaccinated to protect the patients. They showed people picketing. I could read some of the signs. A few said the vaccine was the "Mark of the Beast". There were others where I could not read the whole sign but was able to make out "Bill Gates" on the picket sign.

23 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Amen also to that.

Caught the end of a story on the news about the people suing and losing their suit who were told that to keep their hospital jobs they would have to be vaccinated to protect the patients. They showed people picketing. I could read some of the signs. A few said the vaccine was the "Mark of the Beast". There were others where I could not read the whole sign but was able to make out "Bill Gates" on the picket sign.

Here in the UK it has been decided that staff in care homes with elderly inmates will need to be vaccinated or either redeploy away from a front line job or leave, with 16 weeks to comply. They are also starting a consultation about applying this to NHS staff as well. Apparently surgeons have to have Hepatitis jabs to practice so there is a precedent.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Amen also to that.

For goodness sake. The court case was thrown out by the judge and before any comment about bias the judge was a Republican appointed judge. His comment was it was important to protect the health of the patients and the hospital had the right to mandate vaccination.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 5:28 PM, SuiteTraveler said:

Please speak to your doctor if you ever start to entertain such an idea.  

Not sure where you are getting your information, as the Pfizer test group are already receiving their 3rd doses. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Not sure where you are getting your information, as the Pfizer test group are already receiving their 3rd doses. 

Huh? Where? In Canada? Why? Because of the mixing of vaccines for test/study purposes?

Certainly not in the US...DW got Pfizer...there has been no mention of her needing a third dose. (I got Moderna.)

Pfizer and Moderna are studying making booster shots which may or may not be needed. In fact, so far Pfizer and Moderna seem to be holding their own against the known variants but this is the study: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/third-pfizer-dose-covid-19-vaccine-maker-studying-booster-shots-n1258775

However, being a participant in a study is very different from being a regular person who just decides to get a third dose of the Covid-19 vaccine.  That undertaking, at this time, should only be done under the advice of your doctor.  Vaccines are a modern medical miracle but they are not something to play around with and take willy nilly, especially such a new vaccine with many unknowns. 

We do not yet know the full outcome of the above study or if this third "booster" dose has harmed any of the participants.  

This more recent article says that a booster within 12 months will probably not be needed due to the observed durability of the current vaccines: 

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/comment/pfizer-biontechs-covid-19-vaccine-not-expected-to-require-a-booster-in-6-12-months-variant-of-concern-specific-shot-preferred/

And here is a new booster shot study of participants of the original Covid-19 vaccine study which started in May: https://www.kxan.com/texas-coronavirus-vaccine/a-third-pfizer-covid-19-shot-trial-set-to-begin-in-austin-next-month/

Edited by SuiteTraveler
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Huh? Where? In Canada? Why? Because of the mixing of vaccines for test/study purposes?

Certainly not in the US...DW got Pfizer...there has been no mention of her needing a third dose. (I got Moderna.)

The US Pfizer test group have been invited to continue participation in their booster study, with a number of them receiving a 3rd, or booster dose. The UK has also ordered additional doses, should boosters be required this Fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, davecttr said:

Here in the UK it has been decided that staff in care homes with elderly inmates will need to be vaccinated or either redeploy away from a front line job or leave, with 16 weeks to comply. They are also starting a consultation about applying this to NHS staff as well. Apparently surgeons have to have Hepatitis jabs to practice so there is a precedent.

That of course makes sense. Even the anti-vaxxers on the whole agree that the most vulnerable such as those in elderly nursing homes need protection.

10 hours ago, frantic36 said:

For goodness sake. The court case was thrown out by the judge and before any comment about bias the judge was a Republican appointed judge. His comment was it was important to protect the health of the patients and the hospital had the right to mandate vaccination.

And the judge also said that the employees were free to find other employment. He also was not at all impressed by their argument that compared themselves to those who were medically experimented on in concentration camps in WWII.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And the judge also said that the employees were free to find other employment. He also was not at all impressed by their argument that compared themselves to those who were medically experimented on in concentration camps in WWII.

Hopefully the message will get through:  requiring vaccination of people who want to participate in certain activities is in no way enforcing vaccination —- it is simply not permitting the reckless to endanger other people.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Hopefully the message will get through:  requiring vaccination of people who want to participate in certain activities is in no way enforcing vaccination —- it is simply not permitting the reckless to endanger other people.

And the only it's been authorized not approved means there has not been rigorous clinical trials also has been found not valid.