Smart Phone Not Needed TY Princess

cruzsnooze

This is the medallion class phone number for help for those who are not using a smart phone.  I was informed I can get an old style cruise card which will now be imbedded with a chip that will unlock my cabin door when I tap it to the lock unlike the medallion which unlocks your door several feet away. 

• United States (toll free): 1-844-525-0942
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those having email issues with a certain address:

Make sure you don't just cut and paste or click on what someone else has posted. It's easy for someone else to have made an unintentional error when posting the address. Capital i and lower case L look the same in an email address.

lwarren and Iwarren look identical even though the first one is a lower case L and the second one is an uppercase i.  Just a thought...

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, caribill said:

Princess promotes the Medallion as a great way to make cruising more fun and easier to do things on board.

Use of the app pre-cruise so far is the exact opposite of easier and fun.

Perhaps the pre-cruise pain will make folks appreciate the onboard experience that much more!

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess promotes the Medallion as a great way to make cruising more fun and easier to do things on board.

Use of the app pre-cruise so far is the exact opposite of easier and fun.

In your use of the app pre-cruise so far, what features have you found to be the exact opposite of easier and fun? I thought the PlayOcean features were fun and use of the app seems to be fairly easy now that they have fixed most of the bugs.

Folks also might try to keep in mind that the app is still in beta mode. It is coming soon.

Edited by billco
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

There have been very few posts pre-Pandemic shutdown complaining about the onboard use of the Medallion app.

Basically were happy to use it for the features it offered that worked and saw as insignificant the features that did not. Or not using it at all if that was the desire.

So having all ships MedallionClass is not the problem.

The problem is pre-cruise with the new required use of a smart device to submit almost all needed information and forms.

And that requirement comes from a cruise line that has decided to put all their eggs in one basket. Also, I don't know that I felt it was insignificant when my medallion didn't always unlock the cabin door or sitting in the Piazza was out of range of the International Cafe.

50 minutes ago, billco said:

Folks also might try to keep in mind that the app is still in beta mode. It is coming soon.

Are you sure it is beta mode? It has full blown roll out, which is usually only done once beta testing is complete 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, downsmead said:

Are you sure it is beta mode? It has full blown roll out, which is usually only done once beta testing is complete 🤷‍♀️

You are right. I think I misread "Check-In With the MedallionClass™ App (coming soon)" and the fact use of the apps features seem to change on a daily basis. It feels like a beta, though the IOS app history doesn't have all that many updates. It looks like all the changes have been made through updating an existing app or on the server side.

Edited by billco

36 minutes ago, billco said:

You are right. I think I misread "Check-In With the MedallionClass™ App (coming soon)" and the fact use of the apps features seem to change on a daily basis. It feels like a beta, though the IOS app history doesn't have all that many updates. It looks like all the changes have been made through updating an existing app or on the server side.

I'm an Android guy - definitely not an iOS guy but...  Apps approved for iOS definitely have a much better track record of working properly before they are approved for download. An Android app that's "funky" is much more likely than for an iOS app. It's amazing to me that so many people with Apple devices are trouble with the app.

2 hours ago, billco said:

Why do you say that?   It's in the play/iTunes store, without any requirement to sign up for beta releases...

It is absurd that a business would REQUIRE customers to use an app that's not in production release quality.

If princess wants to invite some adventurous folks to test their beta app, that's fine.

It's completely different than requiring people to use it, and only it.

Although, based on some recent posts, princess may have backed away from the previous

position  that the app was the ONLY WAY.

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I'm an Android guy - definitely not an iOS guy but...  Apps approved for iOS definitely have a much better track record of working properly before they are approved for download. An Android app that's "funky" is much more likely than for an iOS app. It's amazing to me that so many people with Apple devices are trouble with the app.

Could the issue be on the server or software side? Following is an issue I recently had with Apple Support that turned out that way.

I noticed my e-mail was taking a long time to download. Sometimes well over a minute from the time I was sent an e-mail to the time I received it.

This was an issue on all my devices - iPhone, iPads, Mac. It was also the same issue if I tried to check e-mail on a web browser on a Mac or Windows computer, at home or away from home. Based on that, I felt that the issue was not related to my devices or my router or my ISP. After a couple of weeks I contacted Apple Support. The first level person had me check various settings on my Mac and iPhone before transferring me to second echelon who was actually able to take control of my Mac and iPhone before determining there was nothing they could do. This was Apple Support. I stewed about it for a while before trying again. this time getting escalated to a supervisor who insisted that if the problem was on Apple's end they would be getting lots of calls. I did a Google search and found an Apple Support Forum that had posts from over 50 people who were experiencing the same identical problem. So, I tried again going through first level, second level and luckily found a supervisor who took an interest, did some research and found that Apple engineering was aware of a server issue that needed resolved on a case by case basis. Others on my support forum reported being told the same thing. A few days later, the e-mail problem went away for me and most of the others who had been posting on the support forum.

Perhaps, the issues people are having are not related to the app, but with the software or servers that control the app. Doesn't really matter I guess.

3 hours ago, billco said:

In your use of the app pre-cruise so far, what features have you found to be the exact opposite of easier and fun? I thought the PlayOcean features were fun and use of the app seems to be fairly easy now that they have fixed most of the bugs.

Personally, none, because I do not own (or have a need for) a smart phone. I do have Fire and Nook tablets, but in Princess' wisdom, the app will not be available for those smart devices.

But I have read on this and other threads the trials and tribulations of a number of posters who have downloaded the app multiple times and still find it does not work for them.

As far as being in beta mode, Princess has never stated that. And normally beta test testers are volunteers who are sophisticated users of the software and know in advance it might not work. Princess released this to everyone with no warning it might not be perfect.

From the Princess web site:

"MedallionClass® cruising is all about making vacations effortless."

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, billco said:

Could the issue be on the server or software side?

To me it is on "The Princess Side."

It is not on "The User Side."  (Except for users that have devices that the app will not support or versions of the operating software the app will not run on.)

14 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Why do you say that?   It's in the play/iTunes store, without any requirement to sign up for beta releases...

Does Princess state somewhere that the medallion app is beta, not production?

13 hours ago, caribill said:

From the Princess web site:

"MedallionClass® cruising is all about making vacations effortless."

...on other cruise lines.

With more than a 1-year break in passengers, it's really a shame that Princess didn't spend that

time finishing their app.

• 3 months later...

roberto256 has the perfect phrase!

With this ridiculous untested app Princess is destroying their credibility.

The Manager who approved this app and removing the time tested procedure on a computer should be fired for his ineptness! I have used the previous version, Ocean Ready (still on my phone) and it worked. The replacement, Princess Medallion Class, is a piece of sh**.

Princess will go bankrupt in the near future unless they fix this app pronto or even better go back to the website method.

Most of Princess customers are seniors who want to enjoy the voyage and not keel over from all the additional stress.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, robho said:

The Manager who approved this app and removing the time tested procedure on a computer should be fired for his ineptness! I have used the previous version, Ocean Ready (still on my phone) and it worked. The replacement, Princess Medallion Class, is a piece of sh**.

Princess will go bankrupt in the near future unless they fix this app pronto or even better go back to the website method.

Most of Princess customers are seniors who want to enjoy the voyage and not keel over from all the additional stress.

I guess you missed the news.  The man in charge was promoted.  He is now the head of Princess Cruises.  You can't make this up.

Edited by 2 cruises a year
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, robho said:

Well I can't get my Medallion app to load on my phone, Granted I only have a Iphone 6, but still....do I have to purchase a NEW expensive phone just to be able to cruise with the Medallion app??? This is ridiculous!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mainiac85 said:

Well I can't get my Medallion app to load on my phone, Granted I only have a Iphone 6, but still....do I have to purchase a NEW expensive phone just to be able to cruise with the Medallion app??? This is ridiculous!!!

I have a 6s, and it has worked fine for me on the last two cruises (September and October 2022) and appears to be ok for several upcoming bookings.  I did have several issues to start with, but after a few reloads and calls to Pricess, it has worked ok.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mainiac85 said:

do I have to purchase a NEW expensive phone just to be able to cruise with the Medallion app???

Two answers to your question.

1) To use the Medallion app, yes, you will need a newer digital device.

2) But you can have a 100% enjoyable cruise not using the app at all, so no need to purchase a newer digital device.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 2:20 PM, 2 cruises a year said:

I guess you missed the news.  The man in charge was promoted.  He is now the head of Princess Cruises.  You can't make this up.

In all fairness, we don't know what role Padgett played in the decision. He was the 'Chief Experience and Innovation Officer', not the CIO - there were two CIOs (one Carnival corporate, one HA Group) who would have outranked him, one of whom left the company a year ago. The fact that they're now working on the web-based Ocean Ready website means that someone at Princess is on the right track; the critical factors going forward are that person's competence, and Padgett's relationship with them in the corporate political alignments.