Smart Phone Not Needed TY Princess

cruzsnooze

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Can't speak to IOS devices, but I do know this is very difficult, if not impossible, on Samsung Android devices and may be the same on other model phones as well. Each model has a "range" of acceptable Android versions that Samsung will support, i.e.  will allow to be installed on the phone through their usual update function. IIRC, my recently retired S5 started out at Android 4 (?) and was only upgradeable officially to Android 7 and no further. The only way that I know of to install more recent versions of Android is to unlock and root the phone, install a custom recovery like TWRP and install a custom ROM , bypassing/eliminating the Samsung version OS completely.

All good comments.

In my opinion, it is too early to do something like you suggest, or simply go out an buy a new phone

as several posters have suggested and/or done.

The medallion app needs to be a lot more finished ... as evidenced by the majority of posters here having success using it,

before it would be worthwhile to spend time and/or money trying to get some hardware that can run the app.

Otherwise, one could spend the time and money, and still no joy.

On the other hand, I never need much of a push to buy another phone that I probably don't really need..

2 hours ago, dog said:

In July Canadians can enter their vaccination details into the. ArriveCAN app available free in Apple Store etc 

also available to enter online by your computer. 

Just saw the story on CTV news site. Not only is a web-based version usable on a PC available as you say, but the Andoid app version will work on Android 6 and later, not the Android 8 and later Princess is sticking to.  That should open it up to a lot more users

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, caribill said:

Monday I received a call from a nice person at Princess who told me the following:

o There are no current plans to restore the Personalizer functionality that has been removed. In the future Princess might evaluate the relative cost of using the Personalizer to enter in required pre-cruise information vs. the cost of losing customers that do not have access to current smart devices that can run the app

So, it's all about the money?  Like the OM hasn't nearly bled them dry and already sent pax on to greener pastures?

And, how exactly will Princess know that folks have baled for lack of the Personalizer?  

Little changes, over time, seem to add up almost unnoticed ... until one more thing becomes a bridge too far.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

You can just add your DOB for Medical Record

Date of birth is one item on the line. Patient Number (medical record or IIS record number) is a second item on the line to fill in. It is a second item that is blank on our cards also.

40 minutes ago, caribill said:

Date of birth is one item on the line. Patient Number (medical record or IIS record number) is a second item on the line to fill in. It is a second item that is blank on our cards also.

Mine is blank as well now that i looked clearly. 

2 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I would be worried about arriving at the pier and not having the required information.  I like to have everything taken care of before travel, and I can't imagine 'hoping' to show up with the proper items and then being denied boarding.  It seems reasonable to provide everything in advance in this new age of travel.  Maybe I'm the minority here, but no way I'm spending $$ and flying to a port without knowing I have everything squared away beforehand.  

And how do you know what time they have scheduled you to arrive at the pier if you can't do all this stuff beforehand?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, casofilia said:

I received the following from Princess in Sydney:-

As for the OCEAN Medallion App; if you are unable to access the app via smart phone or tablet pre-cruise, you will be able to complete your full check-in and health questionnaire at the port during embarkation. Onboard the ships, we will provide touch screen stations throughout the ship which you can use to access the features of the app.

How they address the issue in Australia may not hold fast for other countries, such as the U.K. or USA 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And how do you know what time they have scheduled you to arrive at the pier if you can't do all this stuff beforehand?

The question was asked during today's webinar and was ignored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, downsmead said:

How they address the issue in Australia may not hold fast for other countries, such as the U.K. or USA 🤷‍♀️

Several of us in North America have gotten the same information from Princess. 

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Try searching Youtube for Princess Webinar

Scrap that idea. I can't find it on Youtube.

You could set up a facebook account with minimal personal information. No need to ever make a post.

16 hours ago, caribill said:

Scrap that idea. I can't find it on Youtube.

You could set up a facebook account with minimal personal information. No need to ever make a post.

Why would I want to subscribe to a data mining site? Facebook still tracks what you look at and makes linkages.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ontheweb said:

People with Facebook accounts just assume all of us also have them. 

I don't have a FB account and was able to stream the webinar. Just go here and then click the Watch Now button right under the video window. (The window says This Live Video Has Ended.) Click the button and it will open up a copy of the video. (Yes, I know it''s a FB link. It works fine.)

https://www.facebook.com/PrincessVPSales

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

One comment that stuck with me was they know the app has bugs and pretty much guaranteed that it will be 100% operational. They even thanked everyone for their patience, which I thought was a bit laughable. It always seems people are thanked for their patience, when in reality they are far from it.

At any rate, I think this would have gone better if they had followed other software developers lead and released the app to a select group as a beta. Members of the group could agree to fill out and submit feedback forms and also agree to keep their mouths shut on public forums. I don't know why Princess keeps saying the app is coming soon when it has been out there forever in a buggy state for everybody to keep getting upset about. When Apple announces a new IOS app, they tell you the features that it will have, but they only release it to developers who pay $99/year for the right to try it out. After a while, the app will be released as a public beta with the caveat not to load it on a device you use as your main. Then, after a period of time, it is released to the general public. If Princess had followed a similar scenario they might have saved themselves and their customers some grief.

• Like 1

I spoke directly with the Ocean Navigator dept today and this is what I was told. I will not need to worry about any health questionnaire for my Sept cruise because the site hasn't been worked  into the medallion app yet.  If it is required in advance they will have a work around such as FAX or Email a copy but now just bring the original copy of the vaccination record OR have it's picture on your phone.

I was also told the cruise card now has a chip which will lock and lock my cabin door the same as the medallion except I need to hold it closer to the door handle unlike the medallion which works a bit farther away. 

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I spoke directly with the Ocean Navigator dept today and this is what I was told. I will not need to worry about any health questionnaire for my Sept cruise because the site hasn't been worked  into the medallion app yet.  If it is required in advance they will have a work around such as FAX or Email a copy but now just bring the original copy of the vaccination record OR have it's picture on your phone.

I was also told the cruise card now has a chip which will lock and lock my cabin door the same as the medallion except I need to hold it closer to the door handle unlike the medallion which works a bit farther away. 

I hope Princess sets aside a viewing area so all the people who are denied boarding will have a place to watch the ship leave.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

If it is required in advance they will have a work around such as FAX

Fax?  Talk about leaving something to chance -- no idea whether it was received, who received it, where it went, who now has your sensitive information.....

I'm surprised they would facilitate outdated technology in this age of 'safeguarding customer information'.  

And I wouldn't believe anything I was told over the phone vs something that is published on the website or other official channel.  

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

Fax?  Talk about leaving something to chance -- no idea whether it was received, who received it, where it went, who now has your sensitive information.....

I fax my stock holder statement without the account numbers every cruise so it's not so out dated. 

• Like 2

Notice the word SUGGEST and that it can be downloaded once on board.

This is what the rep told me and it is in print. For those that wish to call the  medallion ocean ready dept the phone numbers are listed below. 

Do I need to pay for MedallionNet® to download the MedallionClass apps on board?
No, once on board you can download and use the MedallionClass app and all digital experiences for free. But we suggest you download the app prior to boarding to enjoy seamless boarding with OceanReady.

What if I have trouble signing in or connecting to MedallionNet?
Turn on your Wi-Fi. Select MedallionNet as your Wi-Fi network. Then open a web browser and the page will launch. Click "get online now".

Is the app available in multiple languages?
Yes, the MedallionClass app is available in 8 languages, including: English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, German, Portuguese, Spanish and Russian.

What if I have additional questions about MedallionClass?
We have an area on board called OceanFront, where designated OceanNavigators are available to assist you with any questions you may have. There will also be how-to videos on the stateroom TVs. If you have any questions prior to your sailing, you can call us at:

• United States (toll free): 1-844-525-0942
  • United Kingdom: 0344 3388 663
  • Australia (toll free): 13 24 88
  • New Zealand (toll free): 0800 780 717
  • Australia and New Zealand guests (calling internationally): +61 2 8362 4400