Smart Phone Not Needed TY Princess

cruzsnooze

I already found out that there will be a separate line for those us not using a smart phone who won't have the app.  The question was raised about how we could submit proof of vaccination beforehand. That is now resolved with the Princess update.................

What Proof of Full Vaccination Will Be Accepted?

The following formats are acceptable proofs of full vaccination: COVID-19 vaccination card (original card only; no photocopies accepted), digital COVID-19 certificate (QR code acceptable); or record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification, personal electronic health record, or government Immunization information system (IIS) record.

The following identifiers for the proof of full vaccination should include your first and last name, a patient identifier such as date of birth, medical record ID, or government ID, type of vaccine (manufacturer), date of all doses administered, lot number, if available, and healthcare professional or clinic site name. The proof of full vaccination must show that your final dose of vaccine was received at least two weeks (14 days) prior to the beginning of the cruise. Alternative proof may be required if there are questions and concerns about the proof of vaccination you produce. During check-in at the terminal, you will be required to show full proof of vaccination. If you are unable to produce the described proof of vaccination, you will be denied boarding without refund, credit or compensation of any kind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@cruzsnooze

Thank you for that information.

My wife and I (NZers) have documentation which I think covers what you have outlined.   What I will do when we have had our second jab I will scan both sides of the document we have received and send to our PCC in Sydney to check acceptability.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I already found out that there will be a separate line for those us not using a smart phone who won't have the app.  The question was raised about how we could submit proof of vaccination beforehand. That is now resolved with the Princess update.................

What Proof of Full Vaccination Will Be Accepted?

The following formats are acceptable proofs of full vaccination: COVID-19 vaccination card (original card only; no photocopies accepted), digital COVID-19 certificate (QR code acceptable); or record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification, personal electronic health record, or government Immunization information system (IIS) record.

The following identifiers for the proof of full vaccination should include your first and last name, a patient identifier such as date of birth, medical record ID, or government ID, type of vaccine (manufacturer), date of all doses administered, lot number, if available, and healthcare professional or clinic site name. The proof of full vaccination must show that your final dose of vaccine was received at least two weeks (14 days) prior to the beginning of the cruise. Alternative proof may be required if there are questions and concerns about the proof of vaccination you produce. During check-in at the terminal, you will be required to show full proof of vaccination. If you are unable to produce the described proof of vaccination, you will be denied boarding without refund, credit or compensation of any kind.

Please report back after your cruise and let us know how this works out. 

Appreciate your sharing. 

• Like 1

The same Princess Q&A also says:

Prior to the cruise departure, using the MedallionClass app, guests will be required to attest that they will be fully vaccinated at time of embarkation. This means completing all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days before embarkation. Guests should be ready to show original proof of vaccination at cruise check-in.

We’re requiring all guests, no later than midnight before their sailing date, to complete online check-in and select an arrival time using the MedallionClass app.

you should receive a notification to complete your health questionnaire from 72 hours before you embark the ship, using the MedallionClass app. You’ll be asked to complete the questionnaire before leaving home to begin traveling on your vacation, and then reconfirm your answers when arriving at the port.

None of the Q&A indicate there will be a separate line at check-in for those who did not have access to the app.

• Like 2

I received the following from Princess in Sydney:-

As for the OCEAN Medallion App; if you are unable to access the app via smart phone or tablet pre-cruise, you will be able to complete your full check-in and health questionnaire at the port during embarkation. Onboard the ships, we will provide touch screen stations throughout the ship which you can use to access the features of the app.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:49 AM, caribill said:

The same Princess Q&A also says:

Prior to the cruise departure, using the MedallionClass app, guests will be required to attest that they will be fully vaccinated at time of embarkation. This means completing all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine series at least 14 days before embarkation. Guests should be ready to show original proof of vaccination at cruise check-in.

We’re requiring all guests, no later than midnight before their sailing date, to complete online check-in and select an arrival time using the MedallionClass app.

you should receive a notification to complete your health questionnaire from 72 hours before you embark the ship, using the MedallionClass app. You’ll be asked to complete the questionnaire before leaving home to begin traveling on your vacation, and then reconfirm your answers when arriving at the port.

None of the Q&A indicate there will be a separate line at check-in for those who did not have access to the app.

Saw your post on another thread clarifying this matter. 

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

I received the following from Princess in Sydney:-

As for the OCEAN Medallion App; if you are unable to access the app via smart phone or tablet pre-cruise, you will be able to complete your full check-in and health questionnaire at the port during embarkation. Onboard the ships, we will provide touch screen stations throughout the ship which you can use to access the features of the app.

Thanks for sharing. This is the same response several of us in North America have gotten from Princess. Have a great cruise. 

1 hour ago, dog said:

Saw your post on another thread clarifying this matter. 

Monday I received a call from a nice person at Princess who told me the following:

o There are no current plans to restore the Personalizer functionality that has been removed. In the future Princess might evaluate the relative cost of using the Personalizer to enter in required pre-cruise information vs. the cost of losing customers that do not have access to current smart devices that can run the app.

o Although having a smart device is not required during the cruise, access to one pre-cruise is required in order to provide Princess with all your needed information.

o If you do not have access to a smart device that can run the app, you can call Princess and some, but not all,  of the required information can be entered by the Princess rep over the phone.

o The rest of the required information can be provided when you check-in for the cruise. But if you are unable to provide a needed piece of information at that time, you will be denied boarding.

o The future is marching towards smart devices and away from desktops, even if the customer finds using the smart device is harder, takes longer, and is more prone to data entry errors than using a desktop keyboard.

o If you have a smart Android or Apple device with an "obsolete" operating system, you should download a newer, acceptable version of the operating system. (I am not familiar enough with smart phones/tablets to know how easy/difficult this is or if it is even possible to do this. I only know that all the CC posts I have seen about this say they purchased a newer phone/tablet with nobody posting that they were able to download a newer operating system.)

She also provided some information about dining, although she indicated this was what the status is today. It might change tomorrow or the next day or.....

o Physical distancing will be the rule in the dining rooms, so you will likely only be able to be at a table with those in your traveling group. This may mean that a couple traveling alone may only be at a table for two, even if there is room for more people at the table.

o Eating at the buffet will require an appointment to do so.

Again, this is of today. Tomorrow = ????

If you are concerned about being able to prepare for your cruise without access to a device than can run the app, I suggest sending an E-mail to people on the exec list that was in another thread. Maybe with enough requests, they may do something about it.

(see post further down for the E-mail addresses from that thread)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@caribill

If you are concerned about being able to prepare for your cruise without access to a device than can run the app, I suggest sending an E-mail to people on the exec list that was earlier in the thread. Maybe with enough requests, they may do something about it.

Was this list on another thread as I cannot see it here?   If it was would you add here.

Thank you

Mike

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Was this list on another thread as I cannot see it here?   If it was would you add here.

Thank you

Collin Steinke, Director, Customer Relations csteinke@princesscruises.com

Lorna Warren, VP Guest Services lwarren@princess.com

Jan Swartz, President jswartz@princesscruises.com

Mario Siebaldi, Senior VP Product Development msiebaldi@princesscruises.com

9 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@caribill

I presume the bulleted material in your Post 9 were not provided in writing by the person in Princess.   If that is the case would you be able to get the person who "told" you that to provide it in writing?

Mike

It was oral.

On 6/17/2021 at 8:29 PM, cruzsnooze said:

During check-in at the terminal, you will be required to show full proof of vaccination. 

What happened to flashing (my medallion) and racing onboard non-stop?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

o If you have a smart Android or Apple device with an "obsolete" operating system, you should download a newer, acceptable version of the operating system. (I am not familiar enough with smart phones/tablets to know how easy/difficult this is or if it is even possible to do this. I only know that all the CC posts I have seen about this say they purchased a newer phone/tablet with nobody posting that they were able to download a newer operating system.)

Can't speak to IOS devices, but I do know this is very difficult, if not impossible, on Samsung Android devices and may be the same on other model phones as well. Each model has a "range" of acceptable Android versions that Samsung will support, i.e.  will allow to be installed on the phone through their usual update function. IIRC, my recently retired S5 started out at Android 4 (?) and was only upgradeable officially to Android 7 and no further. The only way that I know of to install more recent versions of Android is to unlock and root the phone, install a custom recovery like TWRP and install a custom ROM , bypassing/eliminating the Samsung version OS completely. I've done that on many Android devices (phones and tablets), and it's definitely not for the faint of heart and/or technically challenged. On my old S5 running Android 10 on a custom ROM, I still couldn't get the MedallionClass app to run. So the Princess rep you spoke to knows little of the technology (which the cynic in me takes to  mean they are probably a key member of the MC development team)

Thanks for your updates on this, it's pretty sad to see how arrogant they have become over this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The following identifiers for the proof of full vaccination should include your first and last name, a patient identifier such as date of birth, medical record ID, or government ID, type of vaccine (manufacturer), date of all doses administered, lot number, if available, and healthcare professional or clinic site name.

Our cards have CDC printed in the upper right hand corner. There is no medical record ID or patient number shown on the card, although there is a space for it. Since the vaccine was free to all there was no need for the clinic to have this information. Guess we could write it in. For the 1st dose they wrote in the name of the clinic site which can be kind of read if you know what you are looking for. The 2nd dose they wrote in 3 letters as an abbreviation for the clinic. 

• Like 1

In July Canadians can enter their vaccination details into the. ArriveCAN app available free in Apple Store etc 

also available to enter online by your computer. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skynight said:

The following identifiers for the proof of full vaccination should include your first and last name, a patient identifier such as date of birth, medical record ID, or government ID, type of vaccine (manufacturer), date of all doses administered, lot number, if available, and healthcare professional or clinic site name.

Our cards have CDC printed in the upper right hand corner. There is no medical record ID or patient number shown on the card, although there is a space for it. Since the vaccine was free to all there was no need for the clinic to have this information. Guess we could write it in. For the 1st dose they wrote in the name of the clinic site which can be kind of read if you know what you are looking for. The 2nd dose they wrote in 3 letters as an abbreviation for the clinic. 

You can just add your DOB for Medical Record

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Can't speak to IOS devices, but I do know this is very difficult, if not impossible, on Samsung Android devices and may be the same on other model phones as well. Each model has a "range" of acceptable Android versions that Samsung will support, i.e.  will allow to be installed on the phone through their usual update function. IIRC, my recently retired S5 started out at Android 4 (?) and was only upgradeable officially to Android 7 and no further. The only way that I know of to install more recent versions of Android is to unlock and root the phone, install a custom recovery like TWRP and install a custom ROM , bypassing/eliminating the Samsung version OS completely. I've done that on many Android devices (phones and tablets), and it's definitely not for the faint of heart and/or technically challenged. On my old S5 running Android 10 on a custom ROM, I still couldn't get the MedallionClass app to run. So the Princess rep you spoke to knows little of the technology (which the cynic in me takes to  mean they are probably a key member of the MC development team)

Thanks for your updates on this, it's pretty sad to see how arrogant they have become over this.

Every time I read a post, or maybe more accurately my eyes glaze over it trying to read it, I become more and more happy that I do not own a smartphone.😊

• Like 2

Interesting that I still have not heard this info from my TA

I will wait and see how folks manage on summer cruises without the app

My Samsung Galaxy01 has just added Android 11 in the latest update sooo I may be able to use the app although I still don't like feeling it's a"must do"

I have loaded a fully functioning Medallion app to my iPad but can’t get the one on my phone to work. Took it to the phone guy yesterday, and he said my phone is too old. I’m not going to get a new phone,  since I use my iPad for everything anyway. I can carry it and show it at check-in! Thought this might be an option for others having trouble.

• Like 1

I need a new phone, period ... mine now is an iphone 4s

thinking about just buying a mini ipad with wifi and phone capability to get the big screen size I need to be able to see all these wonderful apps - believe me, it's an app world now, and you're either in it or missing out

thoughts ?

11 hours ago, caribill said:

o The rest of the required information can be provided when you check-in for the cruise. But if you are unable to provide a needed piece of information at that time, you will be denied boarding.

I would be worried about arriving at the pier and not having the required information.  I like to have everything taken care of before travel, and I can't imagine 'hoping' to show up with the proper items and then being denied boarding.  It seems reasonable to provide everything in advance in this new age of travel.  Maybe I'm the minority here, but no way I'm spending $$ and flying to a port without knowing I have everything squared away beforehand.  

• Like 8