The Daily for Tuesday Jul 06, 2021

richwmn

19 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DH has been discussing doing a 79 day Seabourn cruise in 2023

and you were worried he was reluctant to cruise in the future due to flying.  He picked one where he doesn't have to fly for hours.  He is a smart man....hahaha

It looks like an amazing adventure.

• Like 16

First photo today will be for the Zaandam fans because I got a great shot of the ship as it passed us in Neumayer Channel during our Champagne/Vodka and Caviar deck party.  This was on Dec. 30, 2016 while onboard Seabourn Quest.enhance

Heading to shore in the Zodiac at Neko Harborenhance

Enjoying the wildlife up closeenhance

A penguin's-eye view of our ship and the Zodiacs arrivingenhance

Diligent parents warming their eggsenhance

Taking a hikeenhance

Still at Neko Harborenhance

Seals sunning themselves at Torgerson Islandenhance

And this wide eyed guy on another icebergenhance

Landing at the Chilean Naval Base at Waterboat Pointenhance

enhance

The leucistic Gentoo penguin who shows up there every year.enhance

enhance

Chinstrap penguins at Half Moon Island, sliding down an icy slopeenhance

enhance

Shipwreck?enhance

Next I'll look through photos we got off the Seabourn video.  The professionals did an excellent job.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

and you were worried he was reluctant to cruise in the future due to flying.  He picked one where he doesn't have to fly for hours.  He is a smart man....hahaha

It looks like an amazing adventure.

You got that right!  It begins and ends in Miami, like the HAL one begins and ends in Ft. Lauderdale.  

• Like 12

Good morning Rich and Daily-ites. Thanks to all who contribute. Roy thanks for your Prayers and Cheers list. 

@DeeniEncinitas where are you sister? I hope you're up in the mountains with your sweet husband with your no cell phone policy.

Jacqui wow! A Daily-ite garden tipper AND marriage counselor! "Jacq" of all trades! Love your flowers. I have a garden question: I potted my mandevilla in early April and they were blooming red and white. Now it's all white blooms. Why no more red?? Do I need a different fertilizer?

Beautiful pictures everyone! Thank you!

Our friends come today from Prescott. Rain on horizon but I'm sure we will have plenty of fun things going.

Kisses, I'm always planting a kiss on my sweet husband. 

image.png.681b06fbe8b4fa7b2db3a97f179795fb.png

Raising a glass to all celebrations today. Prayers and Blessings as well.

0706210751.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
Add pic
  • Like 28

A photo from the video Seabourn provided us.  This shows the Quest and Zaandam in the same shot, taken from a drone.

enhance

The leucistic penguin againenhance

Kayakers being observedenhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

With calm winds we were able to sail into the crater at Deception Islandenhance

enhance

For those afraid to cruise across Drake Passage, you can handle this, right?enhance

Most of us have had seas like this before.enhance

I loved the closeups of the whales!

enhance

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'll kiss DH this morning as I do every day, will think about HAL's buttermilk fried chicken, and will be grateful for the Air Traffic Controllers who do such a great job keeping all the aircraft safely spaced.

Another beautiful morning here on the "frozen tundra" with bright sunshine and gentle breezes that will keep the temperatures moderate throughout the day.  We're heading out this morning to have breakfast at a restaurant with friends - the place we're going has an outdoor patio where we can enjoy the weather, the company, and the food.

We began enjoying gin & tonics a few cruises ago, and since then, it has been our Happy Hour drink whenever we're on a HAL ship.  It's refreshing, and is healthy, too - the tonic water has quinine in it, so it helps fend off malaria.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

@aliaschiefI laughed so hard at your posting yesterday where you subscribed to the Disney channel.  Too funny!  You're going to enjoy finding those Lego blocks  long after the little one is gone . . .

If DH sees loaded baked potato soup on a menu, he'll certainly order it - I'm not as fond of cream soups as he is, but will have a taste of his and that's enough.  I did make a small beef roast yesterday, so tonight will see us having roast beef sandwiches and coleslaw for dinner.  And wine.

Prayers for all the folks who are in the path of Elsa - stay safe!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

Good Morning from a very overcast and windy day at the beach

Love baked potato soup, but it is a cooler weather meal for us. Roys alternative looks interesting.

Antarctica was on our cancelled S America trip for this past January. The pictures are wonderful!  It is definitely still on my list. Waiting to see what if any differences there will be due to the " new polar code". It is a little confusing.

Looks like the storm is going up the west coast, so we wont get the brunt of it.  But it sure is a messy day out there today! Ocean is really churning. Good day to stay put!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 20

18 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I have a garden question: I potted my mandevilla in early April and they were blooming red and white. Now it's all white blooms. Why no more red?? Do I need a different fertilizer?

The mandevillas I’ve seen with white and red flowers are normally two plants where one has been grafted or combined. Looking at your pic, it looks like it is two or three intertwined from the stem.

If there is an area not blooming that might be where the red blooms were and perhaps some dead heading?

I know mandevillas like phosphorus for blooming but they aren’t like some hydrangeas that change colour depending on the acidity in the soil.

My best guess is that the red one just isn’t ready to send out new blooms yet (hopefully).  It may take longer to bloom than the white portion.  I had one intertwined once (two plans combined) and I did notice that sometimes one colour was more prevalent than the other.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from central Texas where its cloudy - again.  All three days are good ones.  Without air traffic controllers, we wouldn't be able to visit so many interesting places on BHBs.

The Confucius quote is a good one.

I love fried chicken and the baked potato soup served on a bhb.  Our dinner will be leftovers from one of our meals I cooked last week to have after another day working on the rv/carport.  We'll pass on the wine and the G&T, but never fear, there will be wine with dinner.

Hope all the Dailyites in the path of Elsa stay safe and dry.

@aliaschief  Soon you will be a Lego master builder.

Our Antarctic experience was entirely different from what is offered now.  In 1999, on the old Noordam's last trip of the season around the tip of South America, we took a flight from Punta Arenas over Antarctica.  Unfortunately, it was in pre-digital pictures days.  That was an amazing experience.  From the air, you could see just how huge and flat the icebergs were.  Some were big enough to land the 737 on.  We flew so low over the Chilean station we could see the people outside waving to us.  The meal they served on the way down was not your typical airline meal.  On the way back, we had champagne and strawberries to celebrate.  It was a great way to celebrate my birthday.

I'm enjoying all the pictures that have been posted.

Lenda 

• Like 26

Good Morning, Dailylites!

Healing hugs to those on the care list 🤗, and cheers to those on the celebratory list 🥂.  Also, thank you to Rich, Roy, the F&B Department and all others who contribute here.

Wow, what a great bunch of days, drinks, meals and port of the day.  Rich, you really pushed all my buttons today 😃.

Kissing DH daily is just a given; I love fried chicken (now we get carry-out from Publix instead of making it at home); one of our best friends is a retired air traffic controller; loaded baked potato soup is one my favorites; I have a G&T every evening; and we have been to Antarctica on an expedition ship.  Have not had rosé from Tasmania, but am willing to try.

Here are a few pictures from our Antarctica trip:

Our ship - Quark Sea Spirit

DSC00746.thumb.jpg.f91a82f8d9a8e8836628ccf917a7691c.jpg

Some shipmates making our first landing 11/10/14, Aitcho Island

DSC00300.thumb.jpg.22cb93e07c8bc3b8b8191d9bdd82593f.jpg

Half Moon Island, 11/11/14

DSC00374.thumb.jpg.51bee6fc45e0c4f6e2c67b9d3dd21fd9.jpg

Cuverville Island, 11/13/14, morning landing

DSCF0414.thumb.jpg.0dc7b2bd8a4e6a1275011f4a4e8e6482.jpg

Finally, boots on the Antarctic Continent!  Neko Harbour, 11/13/14, afternoon landing

DSC00727.thumb.jpg.6080fe3b45d1421dbf141e867c42d933.jpg

Danco Island, 11/15/14, morning 

DSC00953.thumb.jpg.ce36f48adb699e933798d54e16f1f01b.jpg

Crab eater seal "waving" at us - Danco Island

DSC01053.thumb.jpg.96675e709894fb56dd26f70abca5f07f.jpg

Zodiac cruising only, Wilhelmina Bay, 11/15/14, afternoon - but our driver/guide landed us on an iceberg for a photo op - WOW 👍

DSC01119.thumb.jpg.e08c57cc779fbfa9ccaccdebc9215266.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s another hot and humid day here and again tomorrow, feel like 100 .

I believe @Vict0riann DD is an ATC , so cheers to her and all. Controllers everywhere. 
      I’m having cold soup tonight, too hot to cook 

Blessing and prayers to all on our lists.

Stay safe and cool.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  A special salute to our Air Traffic Controllers.  Love the Confucius quote.  Antarctica is Amazing.  Not so sure about baked potato soup.  My alternative is Freshly grilled lido pancake with mixed berry topping which I might have enjoyed on MS Zaandam July 6, 2002 before heading off for a day of Airline Food flying out of Vancouver.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires, Especially Lyttlon
Mamaofami rehab center problems
Pope Francis in hospital
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU

From the rotation:
wandb sister-finished with aggressive ovarian cancer
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers
Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
Laseyv and son in Sedonia for a week
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
Carol’s children standing up for their father
smitty34877 on Cape Cod
Dfish in Michigan
CrazyforCats in Pennsylvania
HorizonChaser1857 back home
Aliaschief on pop-pop duty
Mr Boston back home
Former MS Rottterdam back in service
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the Care and Celebration and Shout Out Lists.  I wish the Rotterdam VI and the AMSTERDAM were still in the HAL fleet but glad to see one of them is back in service.  The Nieuw Statendam had three nice toots going out.  I hope that no one was awakened from a nice slumber.

• Like 11

57 minutes ago, kazu said:

The mandevillas I’ve seen with white and red flowers are normally two plants where one has been grafted or combined. Looking at your pic, it looks like it is two or three intertwined from the stem.

If there is an area not blooming that might be where the red blooms were and perhaps some dead heading?

I know mandevillas like phosphorus for blooming but they aren’t like some hydrangeas that change colour depending on the acidity in the soil.

My best guess is that the red one just isn’t ready to send out new blooms yet (hopefully).  It may take longer to bloom than the white portion.  I had one intertwined once (two plans combined) and I did notice that sometimes one colour was more prevalent than the other.

Thanks for that. I have a red one that has not bloomed for months.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning from a nasty Florida.  Horrid lightening and heavy rainfall.  May have to empty the pool and this isn't even Elsa.  Kiss my better half often, love Fried Chicken, and Air Traffic Controllers were really busy last weekend.  Confucius was spot on with the quote.  Love the meal, have it often in cooler weather.  Have never been to Antarctica, looking forward to the photo's.

Major prayers and virtual hugs to our care list and a big WoooHooo to our celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Gin and Tonic:

A gin and tonic or, less frequently, gin tonic, is a highball cocktail made with gin and tonic water poured over a large amount of ice. The ratio of gin to tonic varies according to taste, strength of the gin, other drink mixers being added, etc., with most recipes calling for a ratio between 1:1 and 1:3. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 part to 3 parts gin (to taste), 3 parts tonic water
Preparation: In a glass filled with ice cubes, add gin and tonic.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: A slice or wedge of lime
Drinkware: Highball glass, Rocks glass

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 7.26.49 AM.png

Thanks for the information.  Sorry the bad weather is drenching you in Seebring.  Be safe!

• Like 5

Looks like my home city will be getting plenty of wind and rain tonight and tomorrow morning. Storm surge may be the biggest issue. Our condo, 3rd floor should be fine, with new windows and a new roof. 

Here in Maine it is cloudy today after yesterday's beautiful day.  We go to Bar Harbor Thursday, so we are not in sync with destination of the day.

Pics of Camden, Maine, from yesterday. There was a small concert in the park.

20210705_161406.jpg

20210705_164912.jpg

20210705_165204.jpg

• Like 28

Good morning everyone. I will be celebrating international kissing day because the good news is Sam is being discharged to home. On Friday he wasn’t doing enough and needed skilled nursing care and as of today the referrals we made won’t take him because he’s doing too good. The bad news is I am scrambling o find an aide and if not, my son and daughter will cover us till we find one.

Thank you everyone for your prayers and thoughts. We continue to need prayers for his continued recovery.

Carol

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

For a change, I have the components of today's drink! I got them in because people kept scheduling online committee meetings for the cocktail hour.

I'll pass on the menu suggestions. Yesterday I finally made the vegan burgers that were supposed to be for the Fourth, when my plans changed and I made shakshuka, which is not associated with the United States in any obvious sense.

Yesterday I harvested the last of the spring lettuce crop, because hot weather was returning and it was ready to bolt. There is enough left for salad today. Peas are almost ready to harvest. Tomato plants have all set fruit but nothing is anywhere near ready to harvest. I should check the black currants.

• Like 19

👍Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists.😊

💋Thankful to my husband for taking good care of me during recuperation (surgery on shoulder and arm 2 months ago and still healing...hope 'cast' on wrist comes off soon! 🙄).

We were on the🚢 Celebrity Infinity for a 14 day Antarctic Cruise Feb. 13~27, 2011 and would you believe the same cruise itinerary is offered next February??? We just cruised by Elephant Island and Paradise Bay...not the full experience by others: @Mtn2Sea, @StLouisCruisers, @kb4683 and @ChaCr. Great photos!

😯Note to self: wear sunglasses on the deck!😎

🙏Prayers to all in need and Thank You to all who contribute. 

Katie

FB_IMG_1625579881624.jpg

• Like 26

Good Morning All,

@mamaofami Glad to hear your DH is doing better, and hope you can get the assistance you need quickly. 

Antarctica was my favorite cruise. I’d go back in a heartbeat. My trip was on Veendam, and Captain Bos was the Master. I’m sharing a link to a video I put together for family and my own memories. (Fair warning- it 14 minutes, and video was shot with a point and shoot without a tripod, as that’s what I had in the day.)

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-xSbPc/i-q9JhZ9z

Were starting today with cloud cover with the promise of heat later. Gotta take our Golden for a walk now, or it will get warm and he will refuse.

• Like 20