USA TODAY report that Canada is prepared to lift cruise ship ban November 2021

Alakegirl

Not sure if that's good or bad...

As soon as that happens, the Alaska Tourism Restoration Act goes up in smoke. That's obviously beyond the normal Alaska tourism season, so maybe no difference, but certainly would eliminate most incentives to consider changes people have discussed on the board.

I would think it would make no difference. It’s too late for any significant cruises this year. The Canadian government said that they wanted to give longer lead time to prepare for Cruising next year so they change the date that the ban would expire.

• Like 3

The announcement was made at the Victoria BC cruise ship port today 15 July 2021. Our ports will open on November 1st. The opening will not effect this cruise season. It does however tell the cruise industry we will be open for them for the 2022 season. It gives the cruise companies the chance to plan with confidence that we are open for business. It also opens our ship yards to service cruise ships either after the shortened current season or before the 2022 season.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

The announcement was made at the Victoria BC cruise ship port today 15 July 2021. Our ports will open on November 1st. The opening will not effect this cruise season. It does however tell the cruise industry we will be open for them for the 2022 season. It gives the cruise companies the chance to plan with confidence that we are open for business. It also opens our ship yards to service cruise ships either after the shortened current season or before the 2022 season.

Blackduck do you think Canada is doing this in response to the potential legislative action in the US on the temporary suspension of the PVSA being extended into 2022 or even beyond?  I know it also has to do with vaccination progress in Canada. But if PVSA exemption is still in place next year- that hurts Canada tourism in Victoria and Vancouver.  

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Blackduck do you think Canada is doing this in response to the potential legislative action in the US on the temporary suspension of the PVSA being extended into 2022 or even beyond?  I know it also has to do with vaccination progress in Canada. But if PVSA exemption is still in place next year- that hurts Canada tourism in Victoria and Vancouver.  

I'm sure that @Blackduck59 will respond, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth as well.

While Canadian officials are well aware of the potential extension of the PVSA exemption, I doubt that is was a contributing factor in the decision to move the opening date for cruising in Canada. The ban was originally meant to terminate next February anyway, long before the cruise season, so either way, any decision by US authorities now on extending the exemption would be based on a "no ban" situation.

Instead, I believe that the decision to move the opening date forward was to facilitate planning by all parties: cruise lines, potential passengers, ports, shipyards, tour providers, etc,. etc.. It also reflects the slow but sure loosening of restrictions by the GOC generally as our vaccination rates continue to climb and as COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths continue to decline. July 5 saw a number of restrictions modified or eliminated entirely, and I believe that July 21 will see further easings. 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I still hope the US one day gets rid of the "distant" portion of the "distant foreign port" phrase so cruise lines can at least have more flexibility when creating their Alaska, New England and Panama Canal cruises as well as when a passenger wants to book a B2B cruise which would in some cases require a "distant" foreign port to be present in the combined itinerary in order to be bookable under the PVSA guidelines.

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Hey @TeeRick, I'm not sure what the motivation was. I hope it was simply signaling the industry that next season will be good to go. I don't think Vancouver would see much change from the past, it's a great port and good place to visit before or after a cruise which may be combined with a rail tour to the Rocky Mountains. I think the inside passage out of Vancouver is also the better route to Alaska.

Victoria on the other hand could suffer a bit. Some of the Victoria stops were really nothing, four hours in the evening really doesn't let anyone see much. That being said maybe cruisers will tack on a trip to Victoria before or after their cruise. Maybe make it an over night.

Time will tell but I doubt there will be any big rush to permanently change the PVSA, especially with the dynamic in congress.

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I'm obviously not Blackduck, but I'll stick in my 2 cents anyway. As a reminder that Canada has ports on the East coast also. Which arguably may have been more seriously impacted by the ban than the 2 west coast ports. But I think the lifting of the ban has more to do with advance notice to the cruise and tourism industries, in anticipation of a gradual opening of the border than worry over a hypothetical extension of the PVSA exemption.

We're  gearing up for a Federal election, and this may well be a bone they're  throwing to the business sector, which has been clamoring loudly for reopened borders. But they still have to be cautious given that the majority of citizens are hesitant about open borders until our vaccination levels are higher and they can show that the Delta variant isn't going to cause a huge spike in hospitalizations  and deaths as is being seen in some countries (including the US).

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey @TeeRick, I'm not sure what the motivation was. I hope it was simply signaling the industry that next season will be good to go. I don't think Vancouver would see much change from the past, it's a great port and good place to visit before or after a cruise which may be combined with a rail tour to the Rocky Mountains. I think the inside passage out of Vancouver is also the better route to Alaska.

Victoria on the other hand could suffer a bit. Some of the Victoria stops were really nothing, four hours in the evening really doesn't let anyone see much. That being said maybe cruisers will tack on a trip to Victoria before or after their cruise. Maybe make it an over night.

Time will tell but I doubt there will be any big rush to permanently change the PVSA, especially with the dynamic in congress.

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully the motivation was safety-based and was due to the number of Canadians and Americans with full vaccinations now and when the borders open again.  And the resulting lowering of the COVID severity risk.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mom says said:

I'm obviously not Blackduck, but I'll stick in my 2 cents anyway. As a reminder that Canada has ports on the East coast also. Which arguably may have been more seriously impacted by the ban than the 2 west coast ports. But I think the lifting of the ban has more to do with advance notice to the cruise and tourism industries, in anticipation of a gradual opening of the border than worry over a hypothetical extension of the PVSA exemption.

We're  gearing up for a Federal election, and this may well be a bone they're  throwing to the business sector, which has been clamoring loudly for reopened borders. But they still have to be cautious given that the majority of citizens are hesitant about open borders until our vaccination levels are higher and they can show that the Delta variant isn't going to cause a huge spike in hospitalizations  and deaths as is being seen in some countries (including the US).

Hi mom says and thanks for responding.  The PVSA suspension can get a US-based cruise out of Seattle to Alaska and back with no stops in Canada.  On the other hand, the US-based East Coast cruises are Canada/ New England with many stops in Canada as part of the itinerary.  It is what they are all about.  Yes the east coast Canadian ports have been severely affected by the border closure and travel ban.  But not by the PVSA.   If the vaccination rates are high in Canada by 2022 opening, then even the Delta variant will be only a problem for serious consequences of COVID for primarily the unvaccinated.  

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I'm sure that @Blackduck59 will respond, but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth as well.

While Canadian officials are well aware of the potential extension of the PVSA exemption, I doubt that is was a contributing factor in the decision to move the opening date for cruising in Canada. The ban was originally meant to terminate next February anyway, long before the cruise season, so either way, any decision by US authorities now on extending the exemption would be based on a "no ban" situation.

Instead, I believe that the decision to move the opening date forward was to facilitate planning by all parties: cruise lines, potential passengers, ports, shipyards, tour providers, etc,. etc.. It also reflects the slow but sure loosening of restrictions by the GOC generally as our vaccination rates continue to climb and as COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths continue to decline. July 5 saw a number of restrictions modified or eliminated entirely, and I believe that July 21 will see further easings. 

Thanks Fouremco!  Both you and Blackduck59 are both my "go to" Canadian friends that I count on here on CC to give me the most well thought out answers and facts on all issues Canada!🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks Fouremco!  Both you and Blackduck59 are both my "go to" Canadian friends that I count on here on CC to give me the most well thought out answers and facts on all issues Canada!🙂

Thanks TeeRick. Just as you are someone I've counted on for vaccine and related information over the past many months. 👍

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I still hope the US one day gets rid of the "distant" portion of the "distant foreign port" phrase so cruise lines can at least have more flexibility when creating their Alaska, New England and Panama Canal cruises as well as when a passenger wants to book a B2B cruise which would in some cases require a "distant" foreign port to be present in the combined itinerary in order to be bookable under the PVSA guidelines.

Ken with the increased attention to the issue now, the PVSA could potentially be permanently modified for cruise travel.  We shall see.  An unforeseen consequence (positive?) of the pandemic.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

SERIOUSLY???? We have been dealing in reality for MANY months longer than many other countries including yours.

The reality Blackduck is that Canada (and the world) is in a Black Swan Event.

It may get worse before it gets better for Canada.

The problem will be getting the vax to the boonies,  they will drag you down.

It's happening in our rural areas now,  so it will happen in yours too.

There is nothing you can do.

You are in a Black Swan Event.

21 minutes ago, JRG said:

The reality Blackduck is that Canada (and the world) is in a Black Swan Event.

It may get worse before it gets better for Canada.

The problem will be getting the vax to the boonies,  they will drag you down.

It's happening in our rural areas now,  so it will happen in yours too.

There is nothing you can do.

You are in a Black Swan Event.

Become a white swan and get the boonies vaccinated....

Heck, Canada opens up ports in November, so I immediately jump over to book an Alaska cruise for Dec or Jan or Feb……..Nothing! What the heck!?! 

I guess I’ll just have to wait for my July2022 Alaska cruise…..and yes, it’s nice that cruise does have a Canadian port of call! Love it no matter how many times we pull into Victoria. Lovely place to explore over and over.

den

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Heck, Canada opens up ports in November, so I immediately jump over to book an Alaska cruise for Dec or Jan or Feb……..Nothing! What the heck!?! 

I guess I’ll just have to wait for my July2022 Alaska cruise…..and yes, it’s nice that cruise does have a Canadian port of call! Love it no matter how many times we pull into Victoria. Lovely place to explore over and over.

den

We enjoy Vancouver and Victoria both. But, honestly, I would have no problems if the suspension was made permanent and sailings could happen from Seattle and by-pass all west coast ports of Canada. No need for our vaccinated passengers to be exposed to nonvaccinated residents of Canada, right?

I am hoping at some point that we will still be able to do an east coast cruise from Bayonne and visit those ports in Canada, including that one very Frenchy city. But, only if Canada achieves herd immunity. Maybe their election will change the way it's all handled. Time will tell.

Now that I think about it we probably will visit family and friends in Australia during 2022, should their borders open. So, maybe Canada east coast in 2023. Or not. They don't seem to need our business. 😎

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

We enjoy Vancouver and Victoria both. But, honestly, I would have no problems if the suspension was made permanent and sailings could happen from Seattle and by-pass all west coast ports of Canada. No need for our vaccinated passengers to be exposed to nonvaccinated residents of Canada, right?

I am hoping at some point that we will still be able to do an east coast cruise from Bayonne and visit those ports in Canada, including that one very Frenchy city. But, only if Canada achieves herd immunity. Maybe their election will change the way it's all handled. Time will tell.

Now that I think about it we probably will visit family and friends in Australia during 2022, should their borders open. So, maybe Canada east coast in 2023. Or not. They don't seem to need our business. 😎

I’m a bit surprised the concern is over ‘unvaccinated’ Canadians considering Canada is 78% vaccinated over 12yo and 48% total, while US is 67% adults and 47% total. By the way, Arizona is 44%. 

Canada started slower than US, but the US hit a wall of anti-vacc’ers and we have slowed up a great deal. I know the numbers vary depending on site, but I think you are missing something here.

den

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

What about being exposed to the unvaccinated people in Seattle?

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I’m a bit surprised the concern is over ‘unvaccinated’ Canadians considering Canada is 78% vaccinated over 12yo and 48% total, while US is 67% adults and 47% total. By the way, Arizona is 44%. 

Canada started slower than US, but the US hit a wall of anti-vacc’ers and we have slowed up a great deal. I know the numbers vary depending on site, but I think you are missing something here.

den

That was meant as a joke, with reference to all the jazz we get from other countries about us bringing the damn virus to their country. We, in the U.S., have a long way to go to achieve herd immunity and with the current state of affairs we may not do it, unfortunately.

57 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

What about being exposed to the unvaccinated people in Seattle?

I heard recently that Seattle has outlawed unvaccinated residents, right? Or is that just another social media thing? I know the answer.
If no one in Canada is unvaccinated then I may leave ship the next time I'm there! How about that?