The Daily for Friday Jul 16, 2021

richwmn

Well, DAM,

We had more warning on Elsa than this.  I already lost some lettuce with Elsa but most everything else survived.

Not sure what will happen with this mess.  Have protected as best I can but sheesh.  Too short a notice to do a whole lot 😢 

I would have thought 110 km/hr winds could have been warned earlier but what do I know?

F27B4EE6-900B-464C-A601-7DAB7069E1BB.thumb.jpeg.b4f754025c25f1e77feb75c431001cb7.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Well, DAM,

We had more warning on Elsa than this.  I already lost some lettuce with Elsa but most everything else survived.

Not sure what will happen with this mess.  Have protected as best I can but sheesh.  Too short a notice to do a whole lot 😢 

I would have thought 110 km/hr winds could have been warned earlier but what do I know?

F27B4EE6-900B-464C-A601-7DAB7069E1BB.thumb.jpeg.b4f754025c25f1e77feb75c431001cb7.jpeg

Hope it turns out to be a lot less than that.

Roy

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

Well, DAM,

Some of our plants had leaf damage from recent wind events.  It doesn't take much wind to rip some of them to shreds.  

What about the temps?  How cold is a cold front?

• Like 3

Just now, atexsix said:

Some of our plants had leaf damage from recent wind events.  It doesn't take much wind to rip some of them to shreds.  

What about the temps?  How cold is a cold front?

It’s not “cold” from our point of view of cold - around 20 Celsius.(around 68 F I think) but the “cold” is causing a clash with the heat and humidity we’ve had.  

Not sure what will happen with the temps once it hits.  It’s raining already.

I sure wish some of this could go where it’s needed.  We don’t need it or want anymore for a while 😉 

It’s the wind and hail I worry about.  I can’t cover the chilies.  They are too tall now and besides, there wasn’t time.  Can’t move them - planters are too heavy.  I took some quick pics today as I’m sure my garden won’t look the same tomorrow 😢. Not if we get hail and wind.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Wow!

I Phone pic! Who would have ever guessed a phone could take a picture! We have grown up in a wonderful and fascinating time!

Last two years? Well maybe not so good but we are healthy and alive!

We have the ability to plan a cruise, experience it and enjoy lifetime memories.

For so many it’s only a dream and there are millions more that don’t even realize there is such a thing as cruising.

Yup! Thanks God It’s Friday!❤️

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

It’s not “cold” from our point of view of cold - around 20 Celsius.(around 68 F I think) but the “cold” is causing a clash with the heat and humidity we’ve had.  

I sure wish some of this could go where it’s needed.  We don’t need it or want anymore for a while 😉 

It’s the wind and hail I worry about.  I can’t cover the chilies.  They are too tall now and besides, there wasn’t time.  Can’t move them - planters are too heavy.  I took some quick pics today as I’m sure my garden won’t look the same tomorrow 😢. Not if we get hail and wind.

We need it out west, we are at 32 days without rain I think, we were supposed to maybe get light rain today but I just checked and it's not looking good. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We need it out west, we are at 32 days without rain I think, we were supposed to maybe get light rain today but I just checked and it's not looking good. 

Everyone needs it out West.  B.C. Has communities being evacuated.  Massive wild fires in Ontario and drought everywhere for the poor farmers.

Believe me, if I had the power to send it out West, I would.  We don’t need it.  We’ve been drenched.  I certainly have no well worries this summer, I don’t think.

• Like 8

Cool here just now. We are cloudy and a little black cloud sort of dripped on us, but not real the rain we need.

We have snakes and along the river we get plenty of rattlers. One reason why my pup does not visit the dog park. He is curious about every thing and could easily get snake bit. I really don't mind snakes once I have identified them. I am the person always getting called by people in the condo whose cats have brought in a live pet( I don't do rodents). Being married to a herpetologist at one time left me pretty used to the slinky critters. "When you get in the morning watch where you step" does not make for a restful night's sleep.

Susan

• Like 14

37 minutes ago, kazu said:

Well, DAM,

OMG.

Please take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, kazu said:

Well, DAM,

You sure your not vacationing in Florida? Stay safe keep us up to date.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

OMG.

Please take care and stay safe.

Graham.

We’ll be fine.  It’s the outside I’m worried about.  Thanks.

6 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

You sure your not vacationing in Florida? Stay safe keep us up to date.

LOL no - we are in NB and this is the 2nd storm.  Elsa was the earliest we’ve ever had.  Unbelievable!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kazu said:

We’ll be fine.  It’s the outside I’m worried about.  Thanks.

LOL no - we are in NB and this is the 2nd storm.  Elsa was the earliest we’ve ever had.  Unbelievable!

We keep sending them to you. Beware these storms are unvaccinated!😱

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Wow!  A lot has happened since I went outside to mow the yard.  I've just now finished catching up.  Forgive me if I overlook something or someone.  My mind can hold only so much information at once.

First for all those near the fires or in the path of the smoke, please be careful.  @lindaler As someone else said, I hope the fire does not come your way, but I also hope you're prepared to evacuate quickly if that becomes the case. 

@kazu  Unfortunately, the nature of thunderstorms does not allow for as much forewarning like you can get with get with hurricanes and tropical storms.  Living in an area that gets a lot of thunderstorms and on the edge of tornado alley, we have a weather radio to alert us about severe storms, but they can pop up quickly.  Hope your plants survive without too much damage.

@JazzyV Vanessa thank you for the link to Captain Albert's blog. It was an interesting article.  Glad your eye is better.

@summer slope. Sorry the shingles spread.

Lenda

• Like 11

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

And I understood the waiver would expire earlier if Canada lifted the ban. 

Adding the context was “prime minister Trudeau is hinting that he might open the border to fully vaccinated visitors by the end of august. 

That leaves several cruises in September on the books. And perhaps those folks will need a passport for a Canada service call to be added back in???

The border opening relates only to land crossings. So if the border opens, fully vaccinated Americans could come up here. It also needs to open the other way for Canadians to travel to the USA. We can currently fly in but not cross at a land border. So, the cruise ship thing doesn’t change until November and isn’t related to the opening of the land border. No cruise ships will be permitted in Victoria or Vancouver until November.

I wish it was otherwise but both issues make it very difficult for Canadians to book a cruise. It leaves us unable to get the necessary health insurance coverage or trip cancellation if we wish.

Edited by superoma
Add
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I put my lawn chairs over them last time it rained hard and hailed.  Looks weird but gives some protection but with those winds, yikes! 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I put my lawn chairs over them last time it rained hard and hailed.  Looks weird but gives some protection but with those winds, yikes! 

I think that would mean bye bye lawn chairs.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Well, DAM,

Stay safe!

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good plan other than our forecasted winds 😉

If it was just hail and rain, I would have done that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thinking of you and all those seedlings turned to precious plants.   I hope it all turns out okay.

Agree that it's bizarre they couldn't give you more warning of such an extreme weather condition.

• Like 6