Best port for a high-end watch purchase?

amanda219

My husband has been considering purchasing another Omega watch for the past few years. We looked in Nassau, Key West & Grand Cayman before. 

Nassau is now on our Mardi Gras itinerary. We also have an Eastern cruise w stops in St Maarten, St Thomas, St Kitts, Antigua & San Juan relatively soon. 

He's made up his mind he is ready to purchase. We shopped at John Bull & the Omega store in Nassau before.

Anyone have any insight on the best port to purchase a high end watch? I know I had read before about St Maarten or St Thomas being an ideal place. Just wondering if there is any benefit (substantially cheaper) to those ports vs Nassau?

Appreciate any info!

Make sure you know what the watch would cost you in the US, warranty info, returns, etc. If sticker shock isn't enough, ask about maintenance costs - traditional watches (automatic/manual), as opposed to quartz for example, can have obscene periodic maintenance costs. Keep the suckers going, even if you need to get an automatic winder.

You should be able to call any of the stores and get pricing. It isn't like you can bargain (much) with them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, amanda219 said:

My husband has been considering purchasing another Omega watch for the past few years. We looked in Nassau, Key West & Grand Cayman before. 

Nassau is now on our Mardi Gras itinerary. We also have an Eastern cruise w stops in St Maarten, St Thomas, St Kitts, Antigua & San Juan relatively soon. 

He's made up his mind he is ready to purchase. We shopped at John Bull & the Omega store in Nassau before.

Anyone have any insight on the best port to purchase a high end watch? I know I had read before about St Maarten or St Thomas being an ideal place. Just wondering if there is any benefit (substantially cheaper) to those ports vs Nassau?

Appreciate any info!

My husband was happy with his Seiko and Hamilton watches he got at Bliss Jewelers in St. Thomas. The prices were cheaper than in the US. He had a warranty issue with the Seiko and had no problem getting it repaired by our local jeweler sending it in to Seiko, at no cost to us. 

That was in 2018. I hope the shops are still alive and kicking at the ports.

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I've seen used Rolex watches as cheap as $49 in Hong Kong and Manhattan, but I just don't get the whole Rolex infatuation.

Yeah that's not we are looking for. And definitely not a rolex.

To be honest, I don't get it either. Not something I would spend this much money on. But it's important to my husband. He has his Omega his Dad passed to him. He wants one he chooses..with the thought of leaving it to his son one day.

Just trying to be helpful & do some research for him

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, amanda219 said:

Appreciate any info!

Best place to buy Omega, (Rolex and many more), is from the well known, highly recommended with ample references private sellers on the Rolex Forum.  AIS in Atlanta lists there as well and offers in the 20% discount range on Omega.  Look then up online.  You will like what you see.  As to the Islands, St Thomas, St Maarten or Aruba.  All three will work with you on Omega has been my experience.  

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Make sure you know what the watch would cost you in the US, warranty info, returns, etc. If sticker shock isn't enough, ask about maintenance costs - traditional watches (automatic/manual), as opposed to quartz for example, can have obscene periodic maintenance costs. Keep the suckers going, even if you need to get an automatic winder.

You should be able to call any of the stores and get pricing. It isn't like you can bargain (much) with them.

All good points! I was foolish and purchased a nice Movado in Cozumel (mistake). A few years later the battery needed to be changed. I took it the Movado authorized dealer in Houston. He took the back off and said, " this is not a Movado battery". I explained no one else has had the back open, in which he reply, " bought it on a cruise, right". I knew then I had been screwed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I've seen used Rolex watches as cheap as $49 in Hong Kong and Manhattan, but I just don't get the whole Rolex infatuation.

You’ve seen FAKE Rolex watches for sale at that price, pretty much every Rolex model demands a premium price beyond MSRP, even used, due to availability. Part of the allure of Rolex is that they retain value. The same cannot be said for Omega, Breitling, TAG, etc that depreciate heavily as soon as you purchase.

Even a beat up oyster perpetual (entry model) will demand a few thousand. 

Edited by ajs2294
  • Like 2

Honestly, if you’re buying a decent watch you can do just as well buying state side. Omegas can be obtained for heavy discounts even from an authorized dealer in the US. Establishing a purchase history with a local AD is the best route IMO, better prices and service long term. 

If you really want to buy abroad I wouldn’t risk a purchase that wasn’t an AD. Aruba, Cayman, Curaçao, Nassau, St Thomas all have various ADs. These days though, your savings will probably be limited to taxes.

If price is your determining factor, used Omegas can be had for a great price. In fact, a quick google search after purchasing a new watch has ruined many peoples day I’m sure. Omega seems to depreciate faster than most brands in the similar price bracket.

Although, I do fully understand if your husband is set on passing it down being the first owner and having his name on the warranty card is meaningful. 

Edited by ajs2294
  • Like 2

Just now, Moviela said:

Best port for luxury watches is Singapore. In the USA jomashop in NYC has the best prices, if they have the model you want. 

I have to agree with Moviela and jomashop. They have an incredible collection of high end quality watches at attractive prices....relatively speaking. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 3:52 PM, amanda219 said:

Appreciate any info!

Been told by a former cruise line employee that watches are the best buy on the ship. But having said that, I have never bought one on a ship.  A friend bought an expensive ($4k) ring on a ship and it turned her finger green and when she tried to return it (while on the cruise) she could only get a "credit" and not a refund. So I would guess you would have to check the refund/credit issue wherever you purchase any expensive item.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

Been told by a former cruise line employee that watches are the best buy on the ship. But having said that, I have never bought one on a ship.  A friend bought an expensive ($4k) ring on a ship and it turned her finger green and when she tried to return it (while on the cruise) she could only get a "credit" and not a refund. So I would guess you would have to check the refund/credit issue wherever you purchase any expensive item.

Definitely not the case, on board they can’t even get down as low as Diamonds International can off board. Prices are not competitive vs the grey market if that’s what you’re wanting 

1 minute ago, ajs2294 said:

Definitely not the case, on board they can’t even get down as low as Diamonds International can off board. Prices are not competitive vs the grey market if that’s what you’re wanting 

I believe DI is owned by the cruise lines but correct me if I'm wrong!