Best port for a high-end watch purchase?

amanda219

11 hours ago, c-boy said:

thread is derailing 

4 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

A pending Train Wreck  ???

( if only the driver had a good time piece )

Technically, I think the term is "unraveling".

Anyway,  sorry about the detour.    

• Like 2

On 8/16/2021 at 2:17 AM, getting older slowly said:

My thought it that "High End Time Pieces"'  as like Art....

If one get the enjoyment from ownership... that is all that matters....

We have got quite a few original pieces... painting and objet d'art 

Bought because we like them... it is each to his or hers own...

Having said that .. I don't buy to impress.....But there is something special about a special piece....... 

This watch looks very simplistic but also very impressive to me - self winding and tourbillion - 

DON

• Like 1

I have had great experiences purchasing on Aruba (Omega, Zenith, Glashutte Original), St. Thomas (Patek, Panerai), St. Martin (Jaquet Droz). I've been able to purchase for a much better price than available in California.

St. Thomas is USVI so you won't run into a US Customs issue bringing a watch back.

Note: Rolex are the hot item right now and it may be very difficult to find any of the hot sellers right now (Daytona, Submariner, DateJust, Milgauss, Sky-Dweller) unless you have a pre-existing relationship with a dealer.

My words of advice would be:

1. Do a little research on the pricing available near your home so that you can be prepared to negotiate on pricing and extras (promotional items they typically include with purchases)(when asked). 

2. Make sure you are not purchasing grey market, but from an Authorized Dealer (AD). You won't receive a valid warranty from a grey market dealer. If the watch malfunctions during the warranty period and it is not covered it could cost you a very pretty penny.

3. DO NOT try to sneak it through US Customs. If you are caught it could be confiscated at worst or a fine nearly equivalent to its value a little less worse. The import tax is about 3.1% of the watch's purchase price and since you are saving at least 15% off the price at home plus any applicable sales taxes you'd pay at home a paltry 3.1% is worth the peace of mind. Or have the shop ship it to you. Believe me...

Edited by GaryAha
  • Like 3

On 8/14/2021 at 10:40 PM, ldubs said:

Thanks for the link.  I honestly don't understand what drives those kinds of prices.   But I'm not a collector and have no special interest in watches beyond telling time.   

I am very happy with my $7.00 Timex watch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alibaba1 said:

Amazon has great prices on Invicta watches, do not buy on the ship   -- way over priced.

Don't buy an Invicta on land either if what you are seeking is a high-end watch. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For many years there have been no good deals on high end watches in the Caribbean. The only savings will be the tax. So naturally, the more expensive the watch, the more tax saved.

High end timepiece manufacturers have always been strict with their pricing policies and careful to whom they gave discounts. Dealers around the world no longer enjoy the occasional benefits they once did.

For my 40th birthday, in 1984, I had planned to gift myself a Rolex watch. I priced watches locally as well as in various high-end stores in the Caribbean. At that time, deep discounts were available on some islands. Little Switzerland on St. Thomas has always been a favorite of mine and that is where I bought my Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date-Just, !8K Gold/Stainless Steel. I could have had it shipped but considering the savings I decided to take a mini-vacation and purchase in the store.

Stateside, the watch cost $2650.00 plus tax. Purchase price in Little Switzerland was $1675.00 and no tax. The flight to St. Thomas from Florida (with First Class upgrade) plus three nights in a waterfront hotel cost me $625.00.  Total cost for Rolex and mini-vacation, $2300.00. Now that’s a darn good deal.

Those days are long gone. So, unless you are going to purposely be somewhere and take advantage of tax-free high-end items, purchasing at home is certainly more convenient.

I did indeed declare the Rolex watch at customs in St. Thomas, showed it proudly to the customs agent with a big smile on my face. He wished me good luck with my purchase and sent me on my way, duty-free, with a big smile on his face.  

Naturally, I am still enjoying this timepiece. Had it appraised two years ago by an authorized Rolex dealer. To my pleasant surprise its value is $9000.00. Sorry, it’s not for sale.

• Like 1

Actually the $200 watch may keep better time. I have a $50 Casio Wavceptor digital watch that is regulated daily by a signal from the atomic clock in Fort Collins, Colorado. No mechanical watch can match it. "

.😜  two words, solar flares and  💭  poof ! 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

For many years there have been no good deals on high end watches in the Caribbean. The only savings will be the tax. So naturally, the more expensive the watch, the more tax saved.

High end timepiece manufacturers have always been strict with their pricing policies and careful to whom they gave discounts. Dealers around the world no longer enjoy the occasional benefits they once did.

For my 40th birthday, in 1984, I had planned to gift myself a Rolex watch. I priced watches locally as well as in various high-end stores in the Caribbean. At that time, deep discounts were available on some islands. Little Switzerland on St. Thomas has always been a favorite of mine and that is where I bought my Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date-Just, !8K Gold/Stainless Steel. I could have had it shipped but considering the savings I decided to take a mini-vacation and purchase in the store.

Stateside, the watch cost $2650.00 plus tax. Purchase price in Little Switzerland was $1675.00 and no tax. The flight to St. Thomas from Florida (with First Class upgrade) plus three nights in a waterfront hotel cost me $625.00.  Total cost for Rolex and mini-vacation, $2300.00. Now that’s a darn good deal.

Those days are long gone. So, unless you are going to purposely be somewhere and take advantage of tax-free high-end items, purchasing at home is certainly more convenient.

I did indeed declare the Rolex watch at customs in St. Thomas, showed it proudly to the customs agent with a big smile on my face. He wished me good luck with my purchase and sent me on my way, duty-free, with a big smile on his face.  

Naturally, I am still enjoying this timepiece. Had it appraised two years ago by an authorized Rolex dealer. To my pleasant surprise its value is $9000.00. Sorry, it’s not for sale.

I remember several years ago the most you could save in the Caribbean at a authorized Rolex dealer was 5%.  Sometimes they would give you a "gift" that did not effect the price of the watch.  For instance, if my dh was looking for a Rolex they would take the 5% off, and in addition  offer me, his wife, a 14k gold pretty bracelet that they may have been selling for $500 or more.

I guess those days are gone

Edited by mafig
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, c-boy said:

Actually the $200 watch may keep better time. I have a $50 Casio Wavceptor digital watch that is regulated daily by a signal from the atomic clock in Fort Collins, Colorado. No mechanical watch can match it. "

.😜  two words, solar flares and  💭  poof ! 

Should a solar flare occur I'm sure I will muddle through the disruption with my automatic chronometer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mafig said:

I remember several years ago the most you could save in the Caribbean at a authorized Rolex dealer was 5%.  Sometimes they would give you a "gift" that did not effect the price of the watch.  For instance, if my dh was looking for a Rolex they would take the 5% off, and in addition  offer me, his wife, a 14k gold pretty bracelet that they may have been selling for $500 or more.

I guess those days are gone

Those days are certainly over for Rolex. There is shortage of their more desirable pieces. No discounts.