Best port for a high-end watch purchase?

amanda219

8 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Those are the well advertised high end high volume watches.  There are also high high high end watches that don't bother to advertise much that sell for hundreds of thousands dollars and more.  Some of them are so complex that it is hard to tell time with them.  

Too rich for my blood.

Secret watches that cost hundred of thousands.  Must be time travel watches!  

BTW, I assume all of you are also now being deluged with wristwatch ads.  😀

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ovccruiser said:

Find a dealer nearer home and look at their second hand watches, probably cheaper than buying a potential dodgy new one abroad. 

I can't imagine buying anything super expensive otherwise.

• Like 1

Understand and note EXACTY what the manufacturer's model number is before you shop. Determine the best price that you can get at home or on the web from reputable vendors prior to shopping on the islands.

Focus on the price.  Not the so called discount or claims of tax free.   It is the bottom line that counts, not the bumph or the so call appraisal certificates.

On 8/9/2021 at 11:43 AM, clo said:

I can't imagine buying anything super expensive otherwise.

I have bought expensive items while travelling but only if I felt I knew enough about what I was buying, what the prices were at home and could easily spot over-priced or possibly fake items.  Otherwise I will buy at home. 

The quality of high-end watch fakes is so good that I would only buy from an authorized dealer in which case I probably might as well buy at home. Also, a high-end mechanical watch needs occasional servicing and perhaps small adjustments (e.g. link removal) and in my experience authorized dealers will provide better service if they sold you the watch in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:43 AM, donaldsc said:

Those are the well advertised high end high volume watches.  There are also high high high end watches that don't bother to advertise much that sell for hundreds of thousands dollars and more.  Some of them are so complex that it is hard to tell time with them.  

Too rich for my blood.

Check out this site for high end preowned watches - https://www.watchfinder.com/all-watches?filterSalesPriceFrom=56064&orderby=PriceHighToLow

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2021 at 9:46 AM, donaldsc said:

Check out this site for high end preowned watches - https://www.watchfinder.com/all-watches?filterSalesPriceFrom=56064&orderby=PriceHighToLow

DON

Thanks for the link.  I honestly don't understand what drives those kinds of prices.   But I'm not a collector and have no special interest in watches beyond telling time.   

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

Thanks for the link.  I honestly don't understand what drives those kinds of prices.   But I'm not a collector and have no special interest in watches beyond telling time.   

What drives those prices is quality of workmanship, materials, brand reputation and demand. They are expensive for the same reasons a Rolls Royce is more expensive than a Kia Rio.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

What drives those prices is quality of workmanship, materials, brand reputation and demand. They are expensive for the same reasons a Rolls Royce is more expensive than a Kia Rio.    

If by rep and demand you mean luxury status and collectability appeal, those are likely the more important components of the price.  When it comes down to it, those $130K watches keep no better time than a $200 consumer grade watch.   They may have better components, but that alone would not justify a price 500 times higher.    Of course, if the "materials" include precious gems it might become jewelry, which would be a different matter.  

Edited by ldubs

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

If by rep and demand you mean luxury status and collectability appeal, those are likely the more important components of the price.  When it comes down to it, those $130K watches keep no better time than a $200 consumer grade watch.   They may have better components, but that alone would not justify a price 500 times higher.    

The fact is:  people do not need such watches -- what they "need" is some way to spend their surplus funds ("surplus" being the amount above that which is necessary for a full life)  in a way they find rewarding.  Some have top of the line cars, some watches - you name it.   The sense of owning something special justifies the price.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The fact is:  people do not need such watches -- what they "need" is some way to spend their surplus funds ("surplus" being the amount above that which is necessary for a full life)  in a way they find rewarding.  Some have top of the line cars, some watches - you name it.   The sense of owning something special justifies the price.

I wouldn't paint everyone with a broad brush, but I think we are saying the same thing.   I personally refuse to pay a "logo tax" for anything I buy.  On the other hand, Mrs Ldubs finds a lot of utility in certain designer brands.  

I understand the appeal of being a collector of something.  High end or low end, it is a fun activity.   Part of a collection or not, I have always enjoyed being on the lookout for some special thing during our travels.  

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

If by rep and demand you mean luxury status and collectability appeal, those are likely the more important components of the price.  When it comes down to it, those $130K watches keep no better time than a $200 consumer grade watch.   They may have better components, but that alone would not justify a price 500 times higher.    Of course, if the "materials" include precious gems it might become jewelry, which would be a different matter.  

Actually the $200 watch may keep better time. I have a $50 Casio Wavceptor digital watch that is regulated daily by a signal from the atomic clock in Fort Collins, Colorado. No mechanical watch can match it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I repeat my reference to the Mike Royko column on Rolex watches - https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1985-12-13-8503260426-story.html

DON

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I wouldn't paint everyone with a broad brush, but I think we are saying the same thing.   I personally refuse to pay a "logo tax" for anything I buy.  On the other hand, Mrs Ldubs finds a lot of utility in certain designer brands.  

If I buy a handbag with a hangtag, I remove it before carrying it. I don't buy shoes with logos on them. And the watch I've worn for the last few years I don't even remember the brand. But it's quite good looking 🙂

• Like 1

My thought it that "High End Time Pieces"'  as like Art....

If one get the enjoyment from ownership... that is all that matters....

We have got quite a few original pieces... painting and objet d'art 

Bought because we like them... it is each to his or hers own...

Having said that .. I don't buy to impress.....But there is something special about a special piece....... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

My thought it that "High End Time Pieces"'  as like Art....

If one get the enjoyment from ownership... that is all that matters....

We have got quite a few original pieces... painting and objet d'art 

Bought because we like them... it is each to his or hers own...

Having said that .. I don't buy to impress.....But there is something special about a special piece....... 

Agree.  Something can be a luxury without being a status thing.  

We have recently been on scavenger hunts for framed art at garage sales or second hand stores.  Had a lot of fun.  We picked up 6 pieces, three of which are oils. Total cost was $78!  No Wyeth originals I'm afraid!  Haha.   

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Agree.  Something can be a luxury without being a status thing.  

We have recently been on scavenger hunts for framed art at garage sales or second hand stores.  Had a lot of fun.  We picked up 6 pieces, three of which are oils. Total cost was $78!  No Wyeth originals I'm afraid!  Haha.   

We were at Goodwill when furnishing a second home a few years ago. I pointed out to them that one of the pieces of art was actually worth at least a few hundred dollars (we have two works by him). They thanked me but said people buy their art really for the frames. We're in the process of moving from 2700 sq. ft. to 1900 (with more windows than walls) and we have too much 'art' (some real art and some not). I'm reading up on how to do a "gallery wall." I should count some time how many we got when traveling. Plenty of it. Pre-9/11 we flew home from Santa Fe NM carrying an original sculpture of a horse in our lap 🙂

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 9:09 AM, ldubs said:

On the other hand, Mrs Ldubs finds a lot of utility in certain designer brands.  

That would be "utility" in the economic theory sense I would guess.

On 8/15/2021 at 9:09 AM, ldubs said:

I have always enjoyed being on the lookout for some special thing during our travels

Me too.  According to the story below it's a vary common and healthy pastime.

https://explorewithtess.com/travel-souvenirs/

On 8/15/2021 at 10:46 AM, K32682 said:

$200 watch may keep better time.

Just like you car example, spending money doesn't guarantee better performance.  

14 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

My thought it that "High End Time Pieces"'  as like Art...

Agreed, local art is one of the things I like to buy when travelling.  We also have a destination-based Christmas tree although it's hard a time to find ornaments that aren't mass produced in many locals.

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

Something can be a luxury without being a status thing.

Does time fit into this definition?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SelectSys said:

Agreed, local art is one of the things I like to buy when travelling.  We also have a destination-based Christmas tree although it's hard a time to find ornaments that aren't mass produced in many locals.

things make by local artist..... yes....

some our favorite pieces have come from places visited on holidays....

but as one gets older....

it has got to be something that grabs you as soon as you see it.....

Don

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SelectSys said:

Time can sure be a luxury!  Especially when we get to determine how we are going to spend our time!   Like on a cruise!!  Not to be confused with Thyme which is also a luxury if we are talking about spending time at the Thyme hotel!  

• Like 1