Best port for a high-end watch purchase?

amanda219

I always feel sketchy in DI, though DW likes to go in for tanzanite and stuff

I have seen the better and what I feel most "comfortable" deals were in St Thomas, St Maarten, Aruba.

Any western stop feels sketchy to me. I guess just seems like the more affluent stops are the better places

35 minutes ago, silversneakers said:

I believe DI is owned by the cruise lines but correct me if I'm wrong!

They are partnered with cruise lines, prices will be cheaper than what they can offer on board. They are a grey dealer though, so their prices aren’t great in comparison to other grey dealers available in the US 

5 minutes ago, ajs2294 said:

They are partnered with cruise lines, prices will be cheaper than what they can offer on board. They are a grey dealer though, so their prices aren’t great in comparison to other grey dealers available in the US 

THX.  What is a grey dealer?

I buy all my watches gray market. Usually jomashop.com.  There is a downside of not having a warranty, but if you live in a big enough city there should be a decent watch repair shop.  There is a bit of a problem of companies like Swatch (which own most of the world watch market) not selling some parts to private watch repairers any longer.  I've found the discount to be worth the risk though.

On 7/31/2021 at 7:45 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

I've seen used Rolex watches as cheap as $49 in Hong Kong and Manhattan, but I just don't get the whole Rolex infatuation.

My son bought one for $12 in Ensenada.  But that was several years ago and doesn't take into account inflation.  Haha.  

The Rolex infatuation -- it is all about flashing logos.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/31/2021 at 12:52 PM, amanda219 said:

My husband has been considering purchasing another Omega watch for the past few years. We looked in Nassau, Key West & Grand Cayman before. 

Nassau is now on our Mardi Gras itinerary. We also have an Eastern cruise w stops in St Maarten, St Thomas, St Kitts, Antigua & San Juan relatively soon. 

He's made up his mind he is ready to purchase. We shopped at John Bull & the Omega store in Nassau before.

Anyone have any insight on the best port to purchase a high end watch? I know I had read before about St Maarten or St Thomas being an ideal place. Just wondering if there is any benefit (substantially cheaper) to those ports vs Nassau?

Appreciate any info!

Back in 70's & 80's I found Hong Kong & Singapore were the best ports for purchasing watches. I purchased an Omega for my dad in HK.

More recently, for DW, I found St Thomas was the best place to purchase an Omega with respect to selection and prices.

Which models are of interest in. When purchasing the Omega for DW we had researched the catalgue and had a list of preferences and prices. Good luck finding one. 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 12:45 PM, ajs2294 said:

You’ve seen FAKE Rolex watches for sale at that price, pretty much every Rolex model demands a premium price beyond MSRP, even used, due to availability. Part of the allure of Rolex is that they retain value. The same cannot be said for Omega, Breitling, TAG, etc that depreciate heavily as soon as you purchase.

Even a beat up oyster perpetual (entry model) will demand a few thousand. 

Good info.

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Back in 70's & 80's I found Hong Kong & Singapore were the best ports for purchasing watches. I purchased an Omega for my dad in HK.

More recently, for DW, I found St Thomas was the best place to purchase an Omega with respect to selection and prices.

Which models are of interest in. When purchasing the Omega for DW we had researched the catalgue and had a list of preferences and prices. Good luck finding one. 

Seamaster is about as deep as I get in the watch knowledge. I know it's a relatively unique one he has on his interest list. I'm in charge of research on where to buy. Nothing more.

We have shopped multiple ports before. Nassau had good selection and going there 1st. St Thomas & St Maarten in January. Aruba in May.

If there is not much difference, as long as reputable dealer (I'm the research girl so it will be) he will probably purchase at first port (Nassau.)

Appreciate the input. This is intended to be something passed down to his son one day.

Edited by amanda219
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 7:45 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

I've seen used Rolex watches as cheap as $49 in Hong Kong and Manhattan, but I just don't get the whole Rolex infatuation.

My dad bought a half dozen from each place respectively; I still got 3 of them😎

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Edited by Philob

1 minute ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Both are right in their own worlds.  I'll take the cellphone watch and never look back.

Note that the column was written in 1985 so the cell phone option wasn't available.  I have always loved that column.  It is bookmarked on my computer.

DON

I would buy an expensive watch at home where I have access to the watchmaker/ store purchased from. Too many jewellery store in Caribbean are partnered with cruise lines where there is probably going to be a percentage being paid for recommendation.

Slightly  off topic but we have bought many a Fossil watch from factory stores in USA and once husband was tempted by an offer on the ship. Considering we have probably bought a watch per visit, once a year for the past twenty years, none of the watches has ‘died’ (have replaced batteries)…….except the one bought on the ship !!!!!!!

Clo- husband likes having a selection of watches to choose from ..and very seldom wears his expensive gold one.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Check out this classic Mike Royko column on Rolex watches - https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1985-12-13-8503260426-story.html

DON

When I was a teenager I worked in a jewelry store and sold Rolex's and other luxury brands.  Our manager had an 18 karat gold Rolex that he won in a sales contest. He loved that watch. The only problem was he also loved golf and he would not take the Rolex off when he played. Every game that watch skipped days , skipped dates, and he had to totally reset it after each golf outing. My Timex on the other hand was true to it's slogan; "Take-a-licking-and-keep-on-ticking".

• Like 1

The best "port" to buy a high-end watch is an authorized dealer close to your home. You might save buying in the Caribbean but unless you want to smuggle it in there are duties and taxes to pay in most countries. Secondly, the quality of fakes on the market is so high trusting anyone other than an authorized dealer is taking a chance.

• Like 1

My husband purchased a Breitling at Carat in St. Marteen over 10 years ago.  No problems.

I was given a Rolex as a gift in 1981.  Only had it serviced once and it was my fault because I came back from a trip (tired) reset the time without locking it and went into our pool.  Otherwise, I wear it a couple of times a year, always keeps great time, still looks good, and it's a Rolex.  Had it appraised once and while I don't know what the person who gifted me paid (he bought it in Bermuda), I was astounded at the appraisal (in a very good way).

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ldubs said:

For folks who collect high end watches, what are they?  I know of Rolex, Patek, and now Omega.  Are there others?  

Those are the well advertised high end high volume watches.  There are also high high high end watches that don't bother to advertise much that sell for hundreds of thousands dollars and more.  Some of them are so complex that it is hard to tell time with them.  

Too rich for my blood.

Edited by donaldsc

On 7/31/2021 at 3:52 PM, amanda219 said:

My husband has been considering purchasing another Omega watch for the past few years. We looked in Nassau, Key West & Grand Cayman before. 

Nassau is now on our Mardi Gras itinerary. We also have an Eastern cruise w stops in St Maarten, St Thomas, St Kitts, Antigua & San Juan relatively soon. 

He's made up his mind he is ready to purchase. We shopped at John Bull & the Omega store in Nassau before.

Anyone have any insight on the best port to purchase a high end watch? I know I had read before about St Maarten or St Thomas being an ideal place. Just wondering if there is any benefit (substantially cheaper) to those ports vs Nassau?

Appreciate any info!

Manhattan,NY