Do you think cruising will be paused again?

oskidunker

12 hours ago, oskidunker said:

It will be interesting to see what happens. I would imagine it will depend on how many positives are seen on each sailing. Some are to be expected. I would bet 50 percent chance on Sept sailings. Since I have one hoping it goes. 

I no longer own cruise company stocks. I'm not to the point of shorting them  .... yet. This could get very, very messy. 

I seem to be more optimistic than some posters here in that I don't think there will be a pause in US cruising. I think the cruise lines will try pre-boarding and perhaps post-disembarkation testing first.  If that's not effective enough, then they'll go with a mask requirement.  If things get REALLY hot all over the country AND the cruise lines are contributing significantly to the spread, then and only then can I see the CDC going with another no sail order.

57 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

I think in about a month (end of August) another pause until 2022. Too many cases with Delta in full swing. The solution? That 3rd booster shot that Phizer initially says prevents Delta infection. See that as necessary on your CDC card as being “fully vaccinated “. Additionally I see cruises going to 100% vaccinated no 5% nonsense and children on some lines under 12 (no vaccine yet) being banned. They come on board when all over 2 can be vaccinated.

Aren't they currently doing trials on the vaccine for under 12?

I know they moved quickly from 18+ to 12 - 17 year olds. I'm in Canada and I think those in the U.S. were getting vaccinated in April and my son got his first shot in June.

It won't be long before 2+ will be able to get vaccinated so no need to give kids an exemption.

I would like to think that means 100% vaccinated cruises.

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Cruising may be paused once again and if so it may not recover.Perhaps there was too much of a rush to cruise again ,just a thought.

13 hours ago, oskidunker said:

That is what I think will happen. Hope I am wrong. 

Me too.  

We were out and about yesterday.  Earlier in the week no one was wearing masks.  Yesterday I would say at least half were wearing masks.  Folks are taking preventative steps  without the need for a mandate it seems.  

• Like 4

No idea.  

We are not booking anything.  We hope to travel internationally in Oct but will not buy any travel product until a week or so prior to our departure.

Just not into that booking/rebooking, FCC game. 

Covid is far from over and the covid situation continues to change rapidly.  Not just in other countries either, but in North America where there are some embarkation areas where we would not currently consider visiting, let alone boarding a cruise ship

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

Then I have to ask, why do people cruise? I never thought to ask before. 

I like to cruise for the relaxation of not having to make a ton of plans. I can choose to mingle throughout the day or not. I like to bounce around the boat doing a host of activities provided by the cruise line and my wife likes to grab a lounger in the Solarium pool and read, drink, nap and read all day. Dinner is usually by ourselves and if we meet some nice people at the bar or around the boat....great, that is a bonus. We cruise to relax and enjoy seeing different ports.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

We cruise to identify places we would like to visit on a land based vacation later on.  We also enjoy being at sea and the dining onboard and relaxing on our balcony with a good book.  I do enjoy meeting new people, but it's not the priority on a cruise, just a nice thing that can happen.

To the original question....   No I do not think that there will be another "pause" UNLESS there is another Diamond Princess scenario.  Then all bets are off and(In my opinion) over half of the cruise lines we know and love will permanently cease operations.  

In a nutshell, that's why I am cheering every time I hear of another line saying '"100% vaccinated ONLY.  

• Like 5

I have no prediction either way, but my hope is that if we get to the point where cruises need to pause again (rising infection rates onboard ships), the industry will not repeat its mistake of February-March 2020 and keep sailing well beyond the date where a responsible decision should be made...

People (especially the cruise lovers on these forums) have short memories, but there was a lot of anger and disillusionment expressed last year at the lack of transparency on the part of the cruise lines and their decision to keep sailing despite rising COVID numbers and even deaths onboard.

• Like 1

The cruise lines nor the CDC may not be the ones causing a pause.  Passengers may just stay away for various reasons.  In our case, we will not be traveling to a cruise and be tested at entry and possibly turned away either for a true or false positive test.  Just no upside to cruising vs. other options including just not traveling.  Getting tested a few days ahead with full financial protection "might" be acceptable.  Others will pause for various other objections to protocols such as testing, masking,  proof of vaccinations, which vaccine is acceptable, etc.

Only time will tell.

On 7/31/2021 at 6:54 PM, Keys Kathy said:

We started cruising so I could get my husband unplugged from his office/work. Then kept cruising because it was the cheapest way to travel and feed our twin teenage boys. Now.. we travel to relax with a good book or a sketch pad in hand and get away from the day to day. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, freewilly said:

We started cruising so I could get my husband unplugged from his office/work. Then kept cruising because it was the cheapest way to travel and feed our twin teenage boys. Now.. we travel to relax with a good book or a sketch pad in hand and get away from the day to day. 

I checked the prices for a hotel in Key West. With taxes, fees etc, over $350. per night. That did not iclude an ocean view, meals, drinks or entertainment. 

• Like 2

Hotels are definitely not a good value. They are all gouging the few that travel to try to recover lost income while providing limited or no services. Avoid if possible. At least on the cruise I know I will experience some sense if normalcy

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

There is a small uptick in mask wearing but really not too much among the young.  We will see how it plays out.

One thing I definitely noticed is more young kids with masks.  I think there is parental concern over the variant driving that.  

2 hours ago, SelectSys said:

My own view looking at the numbers is that the delta virus wave will start declining by October based on the UK experience.  Time will tell

I hope you are right.  I think the UK had a higher vaccination rate.  I hope we can step up our game here.  

5 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

In our case, we will not be traveling to a cruise and be tested at entry and possibly turned away either for a true or false positive test.  Just no upside to cruising vs. other options including just not traveling.

This is my current opinion as well.  There are just too many "ifs, buts, and ors" to make a vacation that could involve thousands of dollars worthwhile.  Traveling, even in "normal times"  (remember them?) can be stressful.  Covid would make it even more so, at least for me.    

19 minutes ago, George C said:

, would like to see all passengers vaccinated, my cruise last month was great do hate wearing masks .

I am glad to learn that your cruise last month was pleasant.  I would like my next cruise to be the same.  Until all passengers and crew are vaccinated and masks do not need to be worn by crew and passengers, I won't be cruising.  Wearing a mask and dealing with crew that must wear a mask would put a major damper on my enjoyment of a cruise.  No reason for me to spend thousands of dollars on an experience that I expect will be unsatisfactory for me.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am glad to learn that your cruise last month was pleasant.  I would like my next cruise to be the same.  Until all passengers and crew are vaccinated and masks do not need to be worn by crew and passengers, I won't be cruising.  Wearing a mask and dealing with crew that must wear a mask would put a major damper on my enjoyment of a cruise.  No reason for me to spend thousands of dollars on an experience that I expect will be unsatisfactory for me.  

Crew seemed very happy to see passengers, I have a mild case of asthma and doubt I could wear a mask all day. Vaccinated passengers didn’t need to wear mask once boarding on my celebrity edge cruise. 

• Like 1