Pt 2 I was positive on AOS 7/24

17 minutes ago, internetwhiz said:

Which company under insuremytrip.com? They are just a website. You still had an individual company that underwrote your trips. 

We used a policy from a cancelled Alaska 2020 cruises purchased from insuremytrip.com. Our company was Travel Guard.  They also said that Covid was treated as any other illness.  

• Like 1

I too don't understand why your hubby couldn't go home with you? like, what if you needed his help at home to recuperate? surely, you needed groceries and what not. couldn't you leave two of your luggage behind for someone else to put in your car? Or is it really because your spouse didn't test positive that they wouldn't "pay" to fly him home with you?

None of this make any sense what so ever. An infection after vaccine is less serious than Flu with no vaccine. They treat covid positive like you are a bio hazard that can wipe out the ship population. 

A ship full of vaccinated cannot become a super spreader event. At worst some people might leave the ship with a bad cold. Until they start to normalise the response to this virus these companies are going to be losing money hand over fist. 

At best you could stay in your cabin or hotel on land and wait until you test negative from a Rapid Antigen test twice in 1 day.  Then you are good to leave the following day. 

47 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

None of this make any sense what so ever. An infection after vaccine is less serious than Flu with no vaccine. They treat covid positive like you are a bio hazard that can wipe out the ship population. 

A ship full of vaccinated cannot become a super spreader event. At worst some people might leave the ship with a bad cold. Until they start to normalise the response to this virus these companies are going to be losing money hand over fist. 

At best you could stay in your cabin or hotel on land and wait until you test negative from a Rapid Antigen test twice in 1 day.  Then you are good to leave the following day. 

Though I agree with you that if you are fully vaxxed you are generally not going to be seriously ill , the problem is the logistics if infected people were allowed to manage their own quarantine. 

Are the cruise lines going to forceable keep you in your cabin for the next cruise until the quarantine period is up? 

Or who is going to monitor that infected people go straight to a hotel to quarantine and stay there instead of catching their flight home?  And would hotels be happy with this. 

It would only maybe work if the home ports had designated quarantine hotels 

• Like 2

Have to say, I don’t think many of us are used to the cruise lines stepping up and going above and beyond.  Sometimes they do, but not often.  Usually, they are quite rigid in their policy enforcement (which mainly is not passenger friendly).  This time, they have stepped up in a big way. Just don’t see policies as well thought out and as generous as we’re seeing from Celebrity and Royal.

Then again, the optics and the health risks aren’t good if they don’t handle things this way.  As these sailings continue (if they continue), any outbreak could doom not only their cruises, but those of other cruise lines, too.  I don’t think the industry could survive that, let alone anyone who was infected while on board who falls seriously or fatally ill.

Someone mentioned it being treated as a hazmat incident.  That’s exactly what it is if someone contracts COVID on board.  The Delta variant is that contagious.  And now, we know it can hit anyone…young, old, infirm, healthy, etc. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sgmn said:

Though I agree with you that if you are fully vaxxed you are generally not going to be seriously ill , the problem is the logistics if infected people were allowed to manage their own quarantine. 

Are the cruise lines going to forceable keep you in your cabin for the next cruise until the quarantine period is up? 

Or who is going to monitor that infected people go straight to a hotel to quarantine and stay there instead of catching their flight home?  And would hotels be happy with this. 

Well the rest of the world seems to manage it fine. You only really need to isolate until you test negative anyway. Im at the point where you dont need to isolate at all because the symptoms are now so mild for secondary infection and the sooner everyone treats this like any other illness the better off everyone will be. On a cruise it should just be treated like Norovirus and 2 days in your cabin on your balcony and you should be fine to rejoin everyone else. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pandamonia said:

...and 2 days in your cabin on your balcony and you should be fine to rejoin everyone else. 

See Page 17 of this: https://context-cdn.washingtonpost.com/notes/prod/default/documents/8a726408-07bd-46bd-a945-3af0ae2f3c37/note/57c98604-3b54-44f0-8b44-b148d8f75165.#page=1

“Delta infection associated with longer duration of Ct values ≤30 [median 18 days vs. 13 days for ancestral strains]” CDC is looking at data that says the time one is infectious is longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pandamonia said:

Well the rest of the world seems to manage it fine. You only really need to isolate until you test negative anyway. 

That is not true. It is possible to test positive for weeks after recovery and no longer being contagious. It is based on symptoms and time frame. It is not recommended to perform retesting on a recovering person.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is not true. It is possible to test positive for weeks after recovery and no longer being contagious. It is based on symptoms and time frame. It is not recommended to perform retesting on a recovering person.

Thats only because the PCR test was never designed for this use. The test doesnt even confirm the presence of live virus. Only that its present 

Some people i know tested positive via Antigen and then tested themselves daily and they tested negative after 4 days. Which was roughly 8 days after exposure. 

All of this is pointless anyway as exposure is good to keep the immune system primed. Its clear to me that hiding from it really doesnt do you much good and its going nowhere for years if ever.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 3:50 AM, Pandamonia said:

At this point I am thankful he was flown directly home since he now has had  symptoms that have been bad. We’ve already made an urgent care visit and the ER also.   Even with the Pfizer vaccine he is much sicker than a bad cold. We think that Royal made the right moves getting us off and unfortunately quarantine our group (everyone else still is negative and doing well).  Royal was required to send us directly home per the Covid protocol established with the CDC and Bahamas.   

My husband ended up getting pneumonia on one side and I got a sinus infection as a result of Covid.  It was a doozy and we are both are still recovering and doing better now.  As of yesterday the whole family has tested negative (7 days after I tested positive and 6 days after my husband tested positive).  

Some people have asked about our car.  The Travel Guard Preferred travel insurance policy was absolutely no help with getting our car back. Since we HAD to fly from the Bahamas directly to our home several states away we have been unable to retrieve our parked car in Ft Lauderdale.  We are buying a family member a plane ticket to Florida to drive it back to us and then flying that person back to their home state.  It was a huge bummer the travel insurance was no assistance.  They offered to help us set up a transport for $1,045 but would not pay any part of it.  They said they have never heard of this type of situation before and the policy doesn’t cover it.  

Everyone is going to make their own decisions about what is right for their family.  For us, we do not regret taking this cruise.  We could’ve picked up Covid anywhere….it is just the times we are living in.  Royal really stepped up for us and we are so thankful.  We are fully aware that this VIP treatment is NOT happening with other cruise lines.  The AOS was absolutely amazing with so many open spaces and the low capacity was very much noticed.  The staff was incredibly helpful and always asking for feedback.  CocoCay and even Cozumel were empty….just empty everywhere we went.  It was such an awesome experience.  Thanks again for ALL of the kind comments and positive feedback.  

Edited by Coconut Crew
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Coconut Crew said:

At this point I am thankful he was flown directly home since he now has had  symptoms that have been bad. We’ve already made an urgent care visit and the ER also.   Even with the Pfizer vaccine he is much sicker than a bad cold. We think that Royal made the right moves getting us off and unfortunately quarantine our group (everyone else still is negative and doing well).  Royal was required to send us directly home per the Covid protocol established with the CDC and Bahamas.   

My husband ended up getting pneumonia on one side and I got a sinus infection as a result of Covid.  It was a doozy and we are both are still recovering and doing better now.  As of yesterday the whole family has tested negative (7 days after I tested positive and 6 days after my husband tested positive).  

Some people have asked about our car.  The Travel Guard Preferred travel insurance policy was absolutely no help with getting our car back. Since we HAD to fly from the Bahamas directly to our home several states away we have been unable to retrieve our parked car in Ft Lauderdale.  We are buying a family member a plane ticket to Florida to drive it back to us and then flying that person back to their home state.  It was a huge bummer the travel insurance was no assistance.  They offered to help us set up a transport for $1,045 but would not pay any part of it.  They said they have never heard of this type of situation before and the policy doesn’t cover it.  

Everyone is going to make their own decisions about what is right for their family.  For us, we do not regret taking this cruise.  We could’ve picked up Covid anywhere….it is just the times we are living in.  Royal really stepped up for us and we are so thankful.  We are fully aware that this VIP treatment is NOT happening with other cruise lines.  The AOS was absolutely amazing with so many open spaces and the low capacity was very much noticed.  The staff was incredibly helpful and always asking for feedback.  CocoCay and even Cozumel were empty….just empty everywhere we went.  It was such an awesome experience.  Thanks again for ALL of the kind comments and positive feedback.  

I hope you and your husband get feeling better soon.  Thanks for sharing your story and ongoing issues.  That is unfortunate Travel Guard would not over the cost of retrieving your car.  

9 hours ago, Coconut Crew said:

Best wishes that you and your husband quickly have a total recovery. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. 

9 hours ago, Coconut Crew said:

Sorry to hear about your struggles with covid and the retrieval of your.  Hoping for a full recovery soon.     

I hate to ask but Curious, will you have to pay extended parking fee at the terminal cruise lot?  I hope not!

Edited by Sunshine3601

10 hours ago, Coconut Crew said:

Thank you for coming back to this thread a few times now to let us all know of your experience.  Your positive attitude with all of this I am sure will help in your overall recovery.  Hope you are both feeling 100% soon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear about your struggles with covid and the retrieval of your.  Hoping for a full recovery soon.     

I hate to ask but Curious, will you have to pay extended parking fee at the terminal cruise lot?  I hope not!

A family member that was on the cruise with us flew back into Miami and picked up the car at our hotel (park,sleep,fly).  They have the car at their house until we could get someone to drive the 15+ hour trip back home for us.  Fortunately, we didn’t incur an extra parking fee.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Coconut Crew said:

A family member that was on the cruise with us flew back into Miami and picked up the car at our hotel (park,sleep,fly).  They have the car at their house until we could get someone to drive the 15+ hour trip back home for us.  Fortunately, we didn’t incur an extra parking fee.  

Thanks so much for sharing your experience — these are good things to know in case we find ourselves in a similar situation. 

On 8/3/2021 at 8:10 AM, graphicguy said:

Someone mentioned it being treated as a hazmat incident.

Several years ago, whilst dining on Liberty our table mate got ill at table and threw up in her napkin, she immediately left the table and I went with her to the bathroom...we knew exactly what had happened, she was not ill with a stomach flu, it was something she ate, but....a crew with hazmat, vacuum, carpet scrubber everything known to man was at the table by the time we returned.  And we gathered our things and left.  They sent the dinner up to our cabins.  This was at least 4 or 5 years before Covid turned up.  They are serious about infection.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 4:16 PM, Coconut Crew said:

This is something that is so overlooked but such a big deal. What if you didn't have anyone that could have retrieved your car? I live near both FL ports and would have no problem helping someone out. We need some kind of list! 

• Like 4

So many "doctors" reply in these forums.  🤣🤣

OP, appreciate your real life perspective.  It takes a lot of the concern about what would happen if one of us test COVID positive on a cruise.  The cruise lines would be well served to walk people through a video of these protocols to ease concerns.

On 8/3/2021 at 3:47 AM, sgmn said:

There are prescribed ways of dealing with this in various documents such as the CSO and port agreements, but there seems to be only anecdotal information about how this is implemented.

From what I can tell, yes, the cruise line will keep you in your cabin until you can be disembarked. If you are on a short cruise from a domestic port, you could be in your room or a designated quarantine room until the end of the cruise. 

It is possible that you could be disembarked at the nearest port to quarantine in a contracted hotel, but I don’t know of that happening. In that case, you would be under the jurisdiction of the host country, and quarantine would be carried out under the terms of the port agreement.

As far as quarantine when you return to a domestic port such as Texas or Florida, there does not seem to be a clear picture of what is happening. One family that included an unvaccinated child who tested positive was sent to quarantine in a contracted hotel by means of cruise line arranged transportation. Apparently they

stayed until they could fly home, but there was much discussion about whether they could have left on their own in a rented car. I expect there was some level of monitoring whether the family was aware of it or not. Not doubt the cruise line notified the designated quarantine hotel and likely the local health department as part of the port agreement. Could they have left before quarantine was complete? I don’t know.

So the question remains about how positive cases will be handled at domestic ports and whether people will be allowed to manage their own quarantine. It is my understanding that a negative test is not required for domestic air travel, but there are questions about whether one has tested positive or been exposed recently. Maybe those who flew to the port will have to quarantine. Maybe locals who have a car will be allowed to drive home.  It leaves a lot of uncertainty for people trying to plan.

• Like 1