MDR dress options

Sorry, new to RCCL. What is acceptable wear in the MDR on non-formal nights? Golf shorts, polos, and sandals...? Don't really want to dress up every night if possible. Any suggestions would be helpful for both men and women. Thanks in advance.

Edited by CeeJayPonz

7 minutes ago, CeeJayPonz said:

Sorry, new to RCCL. What is acceptable wear in the MDR on non-formal nights? Golf shorts, polos, and sandals...? Don't really want to dress up every night if possible. Any suggestions would be helpful for both men and women. Thanks in advance.

I  started wearing  golf/polo style shirts with dockers on all evenings a few years ago. MDR/MTD no problem. 

14 minutes ago, CeeJayPonz said:

Google works..the Caribbean cruises are most always less formal than the Med for instance.  Dave suggestions work.

Not so sure about sandals myself in the MDR..YMMV.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/generic-onboard-dress-code

Edited by PTC DAWG

14 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I  started wearing  golf/polo style shirts with dockers on all evenings a few years ago. MDR/MTD no problem. 

I agree... bring one or two outfits like that (to wear only at dinner so they stay clean) and then see what's accepted on that cruise in terms of shorts, for example.  

back in 2009 our friend was sent back to the cabin to change when he wore shorts to MDR. In 2019 I saw people wearing swimming trunks and tank tops to MDR, and they were not turned away. Times have changed.

We allow our kid to wear shorts to MDR, but, even though we don't wear formal attire anymore, we wear business casual or smart casual clothes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Google works..the Caribbean cruises are most always less formal than the Med for instance.  Dave suggestions work.

Women wear strappy sandals all the time in the MDR....even on formal nights.

46 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I think the mention of sandals referred to men, who don't necessarily have well-groomed feet.

Best not to look at anyone's feet while trying to eat.  It might ruin your appetite.  Better to concentrate on the food 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 8/17/2021 at 9:39 AM, PTC DAWG said:

Thank you for the link. I just looked at their FAQ's and couldn't find it listed. Very helpful!

Glad to see shorts and a nice shirt are acceptable in the MDR. I've avoided RC in the past because of what I perceived their MDR dress code was. Looks like a good option for me now.

22 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I think the mention of sandals referred to men, who don't necessarily have well-groomed feet.

Which is why men should always wear socks with sandals. Preferably black dress socks, though fuzzy tie dye socks are also acceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Which is why men should always wear socks with sandals. Preferably black dress socks, though fuzzy tie dye socks are also acceptable. 

Fuzzy tie dye socks might be a little too fashion forward for RCL. Best to save those for Holland America.😊

• Haha 1

Admittedly, I have not sailed on RC this year.  However, the MDR dress code when I did stated that shorts were not permitted in the evening.  Some slipped through, and some were turned away.

My question for you, then, is: If you were to be turned away and had not packed a pair of long pants, would you be disappointed to have to go to the WJ?

I might also mention, re sandals, that some onboard excursions such as behind-the-scenes, and helipad events, usually require closed-toe shoes for both men and women, for safety reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

I think the burning question for many is, Can I wear Crocs? Obviously, the formal black ones. 

• Haha 3

Just curious, am I the only one that wonders why people actually asks this question?  Is it because they really don't know.  Is it because they want justification for not changing for the evening?  Or is it just to stir the pot.  Not like anyone is going to change their mind.  Those that think a formal dinner means, nice shorts, and a t-shirt will not change their mind, ever.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Just curious, am I the only one that wonders why people actually asks this question?  Is it because they really don't know.  Is it because they want justification for not changing for the evening?  Or is it just to stir the pot.  Not like anyone is going to change their mind.  Those that think a formal dinner means, nice shorts, and a t-shirt will not change their mind, ever.  

Yes.