Escargot--Yes or No?

Roxydog15

17 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Lobstah is quite expensive in Maine this year.  But still worth it.  Our favorite seafood co-op market had fresh lobster meat for making our own rolls.  It was $65/lb.

$65 a lb, wow that is high. The last time we were in Maine in 2000 we visited a friend in Portland and he treated my DW and I to a "New England style lobster boil"  He had a huge cast iron pot in his back yard over a wood fire and we had lobsters and muscles with all the trimmings one night. He picked up the fresh lobsters at the port from a lobster fisherman for $2 a lobster and they were the absolute best lobsters we ever have eaten. That same trip we visited a small town outside of Portland for their annual lobster fest, first time I had a lobster roll and yes they were in a roll with mayo and absolutely delicious. This trip spoiled me on lobsters because none we have had since have been as good as the ones we had here.

15 hours ago, Oville said:

Did you fall in love?

Yes. I first had the in Ipswich, MA.  I lived in NYC and would take a Sunday drive to a Rudy Vallee's on IS -95 in Connecticut who had fried Ipswich clams on the menu.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, terrydtx said:

$65 a lb, wow that is high. The last time we were in Maine in 2000 we visited a friend in Portland and he treated my DW and I to a "New England style lobster boil"  He had a huge cast iron pot in his back yard over a wood fire and we had lobsters and muscles with all the trimmings one night. He picked up the fresh lobsters at the port from a lobster fisherman for $2 a lobster and they were the absolute best lobsters we ever have eaten. That same trip we visited a small town outside of Portland for their annual lobster fest, first time I had a lobster roll and yes they were in a roll with mayo and absolutely delicious. This trip spoiled me on lobsters because none we have had since have been as good as the ones we had here.

I saw live lobsters a couple of weeks ago in the Portland area at around $10-12 per lb average.  That is about double what we have paid in the past few years.  The $65/lb was for pure fresh lobster meat (tail and claw meat).  In the past couple of years we paid about $25-30 /lb for pure fresh lobster meat.

1 hour ago, jjbko said:

Can you really order Lobster egg Benedict on the cruise?

This is where the bribes, err I mean advance tipping comes in.  If you are in a suite, when you meet your butler, let him/her know your preferences, they will do the best they can to accommodate you.  If they have lobstah on board, they will make sure that is what you have, otherwise you will have to "settle" for salmon.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

This is where the bribes, err I mean advance tipping comes in.  If you are in a suite, when you meet your butler, let him/her know your preferences, they will do the best they can to accommodate you.  If they have lobstah on board, they will make sure that is what you have, otherwise you will have to "settle" for salmon.

Don't they always have the rubbery little ones from S.A. for final night dinner?

8 minutes ago, canderson said:

Don't they always have the rubbery little ones from S.A. for final night dinner?

Generally, they are def not from Maine, but still delish.  With all the other stuff on eggs benedict, still very tasty

On 8/17/2021 at 6:23 PM, Roxydog15 said:

So after years of giving my husband a hard time for probably being the only one who orders this in MDR, and that X stocks it just for him, thought I would toss it out there..

Do many of you ever order Escargot?

Oh Hell YES

On 8/17/2021 at 3:23 PM, Roxydog15 said:

So after years of giving my husband a hard time for probably being the only one who orders this in MDR, and that X stocks it just for him, thought I would toss it out there..

Yes!  Followed by Crème Brule at the end.

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I saw live lobsters a couple of weeks ago in the Portland area at around $10-12 per lb average.  That is about double what we have paid in the past few years.  The $65/lb was for pure fresh lobster meat (tail and claw meat).  In the past couple of years we paid about $25-30 /lb for pure fresh lobster meat.

Today I went to my local fish store, lobster meat $85, lobster tails $90.  The cheapest whole uncooked lobster $20.

11 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Are you sure the mussels weren’t steamers?😉

9 minutes ago, Oville said:

Are you sure the mussels weren’t steamers?😉

They may have been it was a long time ago. Thinking about it that is really the only way to prepare muscles. 

Edited by terrydtx

You would know if they were steamers

You have to pull off the beards, then rinse them off by waving them around in a bowl of hot water. The beards are full of sand and leave some behind when removing them.  You dont usually dunk mussels in clarified butter either.

Edited by The_Mac

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We had lobstah last week in Bah Habbah.  The prices were about the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

We had lobstah last week in Bah Habbah.  The prices were about the same.

Great 'arear' for lobster.  (Gotta add extra ones now and again too, right?)

Picked up some littlenecks for a surf/turf for grandson's big college send-away last weekend.  Doggone things were $12.95 a pound.  Seems like only yesterday we'd order them at a little dive we favored for 10 cents a pop - $1.20 a dozen, served up with beer that cost almost as much as the clams.

On 8/17/2021 at 5:23 PM, Roxydog15 said:

I order them several times each cruise, as do 2 of my children (YA now--but they even ate them as pre-teens/teens as did 2 of my nephews).

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:03 AM, TeeRick said:

Yes back to the OP.  I think my dw orders for the garlic butter and bread to dip.  Yes there are a few escargot there.  I can do the same thing with steamed mussels and dip in garlic butter.  But unusual to get steamed mussels on a Celebrity ship.  But I think I have had them occasionally as part of another seafood dish in Luminae.

Agree.  Nobody ever ordered escargot, hold the garlic butter.  

On 8/18/2021 at 12:23 AM, Roxydog15 said:

Back to the original question: no of course not! The huge amounts of garlic and oil are meant to hide the fact that you are, in fact, eating a hideous slimy snail. A snail!

Totally normal: "Look, these blackberries are ripe. Mmm. Let's eat them and make jam. Oh men, these are the sweetest I've ever tasted" Not normal: "Look: big slimy snails.  Let's cook them and eat them. Such a combination of a lack of flavor combined with the bite of an inner tube feels like heaven. "

There is a good reason restaurants don't often offer snails "au naturel" and instead put loads of garlic and whatever on top. Other "somewhat scary" creatures like mussels simply taste good after a bit of steaming in wine. A snail called Escargot is still a snail, and I recently bought stuff to get rid of them in my garden.

Edited by AmazedByCruising

6 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Back to the original question: no of course not! The huge amounts of garlic and oil are meant to hide the fact that you are, in fact, eating a hideous slimy snail. A snail!

Totally normal: "Look, these blackberries are ripe. Mmm. Let's eat them and make jam. Oh men, these are the sweetest I've ever tasted" Not normal: "Look: big slimy snails.  Let's cook them and eat them. Such a combination of a lack of flavor combined with the bite of an inner tube feels like heaven. "

There is a good reason restaurants don't often offer snails "au naturel" and instead put loads of garlic and whatever on top. Other "somewhat scary" creatures like mussels simply taste good after a bit of steaming in wine. A snail called Escargot is still a snail, and I recently bought stuff to get rid of them in my garden.

This!! The most disgusting choice ever. Ugh!