Escargot--Yes or No?

Roxydog15

17 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:
On 8/17/2021 at 6:23 PM, Roxydog15 said:

Do many of you ever order Escargot?

17 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Back to the original question: no of course not! The huge amounts of garlic and oil are meant to hide the fact that you are, in fact, eating a hideous slimy snail. A snail! ...  Not normal: "Look: big slimy snails.  Let's cook them and eat them. Such a combination of a lack of flavor combined with the bite of an inner tube feels like heaven." ... A snail called Escargot is still a snail, and I recently bought stuff to get rid of them in my garden.

Dear "AmazedByCruising,"

We esteem you as a person and do not intend this post as an insult, but your comment is simply ridiculous!  Here's why:

The vast majority of people (possibly including you and the OP) do not hesitate to eat -- after they've been cooked -- all kinds of weird body parts from thousands of different kinds of animals (mammals, birds, fish, shellfish, reptiles, amphibians, etc.) ... and such things are eaten without anyone batting an eyelash. 

Many of the things that 90% of all people eat (possibly including you and the OP) were once "slimy" and may seem "hideous" when they are raw.  But when those animal parts (once perhaps ugly/disgusting) have been cooked, they look and taste just fine.  Exactly the same thing is true of snails/escargot.  We hope that you don't think that they are served and eaten raw!  No, they are cleaned and cooked (sometimes baked at a high temperature) before being devoured.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Dear "AmazedByCruising,"

We esteem you as a person and do not intend this post as an insult, but your comment is simply ridiculous!  Here's why:

The vast majority of people (possibly including you and the OP) do not hesitate to eat -- after they've been cooked -- all kinds of weird body parts from thousands of different kinds of animals (mammals, birds, fish, shellfish, reptiles, amphibians, etc.) ... and such things are eaten without anyone batting an eyelash. 

Many of the things that 90% of all people eat (possibly including you and the OP) were once "slimy" and may seem "hideous" when they are raw.  But when those animal parts (once perhaps ugly/disgusting) have been cooked, they look and taste just fine.  Exactly the same thing is true of snails/escargot.  We hope that you don't think that they are served and eaten raw!  No, they are cleaned and cooked (sometimes baked at a high temperature) before being devoured.

Sorry,  still find them disgusting.   They look just awful to me even when cooked. To each their own.  If someone enjoys them, fine. I am not one of those people and never will be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Sorry,  still find them disgusting.   They look just awful to me even when cooked. To each their own.  If someone enjoys them, fine. I am not one of those people and never will be.

We hear you, we love escargot but we feel the same way about sushi, tried it but just can't get into it.  Any fish cooked, please bring it on.

• Like 2

Definate yes from my whole family  My boys and I have it every night in the MDR, my DW maybe half the time but always sneaks one off my dish. X could elevate it even more my topping each delicious morsel with a tiny Mushroom cap...yum.

I'm not sure where I acquired the taste but perhaps as a wee lad I spent too much time in the garden savoring Pacific Northwest Banana Slugs much to my poor mothers dismay.  My sons also did the same; I am reminded of my one son once trying to top off his bbq burger with about 20 caterpillars, that was a no.

Call us weird but will try almost anything once.  Maybe X will tempt us with Cuy one day (roasted guinea pig) on a South American cruise.  

2 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

Definate yes from my whole family  My boys and I have it every night in the MDR, my DW maybe half the time but always sneaks one off my dish. X could elevate it even more my topping each delicious morsel with a tiny Mushroom cap...yum.

I'm not sure where I acquired the taste but perhaps as a wee lad I spent too much time in the garden savoring Pacific Northwest Banana Slugs much to my poor mothers dismay.  My sons also did the same; I am reminded of my one son once trying to top off his bbq burger with about 20 caterpillars, that was a no.

Call us weird but will try almost anything once.  Maybe X will tempt us with Cuy one day (roasted guinea pig) on a South American cruise.  

Weird is good!!

2 hours ago, jg51 said:

We hope that you don't think that they are served and eaten raw!  No, they are cleaned and cooked (sometimes baked at a high temperature) before being devoured.

The fact that they have no taste nor a nice bite is from personal experience. 🙂 

Frankly, I think that if you chop up a pig's ear, put a huge amount of garlic and oil on the pieces to disguise that, in fact, you're eating a pig's ear, serve them on a special plate, and say they are a very rare and expensive kind of ears that can only be found around one small village in France that has a terroir filled with vulcanic ash and just the right climate, people would be just as wild about them as they are about Escargots. 

Anyway, I won't be ordering the last snails available just before you, I'd say this is a win-win situation 🙂

Edited by AmazedByCruising

35 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Frankly, I think that if you chop up a pig's ear, put a huge amount of garlic and oil on the pieces to disguise that, in fact, you're eating a pig's ear, serve them on a special plate, and say they are a very rare and expensive kind of ears that can only be found around one small village in France that has a terroir filled with vulcanic ash and just the right climate, people would be just as wild about them as they are about Escargots. 

Anyway, I won't be ordering the last snails available just before you, I'd say this is a win-win situation 🙂

No, most of us enjoy escargot because we enjoy escargot - the garlic, butter And the snail - not because of some elitist approach to it. I don’t like caviar but I love pickled herring. I love many Thai dishes (no, I Do Not order it ‘Thai Hot’…when i see a Thai sweating while eating it, I know not to go there!), but I don’t enjoy Korean kimchi. I love squid, not just calamari. 

I remember when we pulled into Hong Kong on a carrier and I took a young shipmate ashore to enjoy a city which had more Michelin restaurants then any city outside Paris at the time. I ordered him a very special dish  He asked what it was….I asked him if he liked it. He said yes, so I told him not to worry what it was! He would have stopped if he knew!  It was se gang……snake soup. 

Just life in a world where people have differing tastes and differing experiences. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Frankly, I think that if you chop up a pig's ear, put a huge amount of garlic and oil on the pieces to disguise the fact that, in fact, you're eating a pig's ear, serve them on a special plate, and say they are a very rare and expensive kind of ears that can only be found around one small village in France that has a terroir filled with vulcanic ash and just the right climate, people would be just as wild about them as they are about Escargots. 

In fact, people eat pigs' ears already in many parts of the world. No need to make up a silly story to attract diners. Lots of good recipes online too! We cook escargots at home regularly, and I think I might try a pigs' ears recipe if I can find the ears locally. FWIW, I also cook sweetbreads, beef tongue and various other dishes that I'm sure you'd reject without ever trying.  👨‍🍳

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

FWIW, I also cook sweetbreads, beef tongue and various other dishes that I'm sure you'd reject without ever trying.

I did try Escargots, that's why I'm not ordering them again. And I happen to like beef tongue.

Also, I'm old enough to have made up my mind which food I like and which I do not, I certainly don't need an adult saying that I didn't even try it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I did try Escargots, that's why I'm not ordering them again. And I happen to like beef tongue.

Also, I'm old enough to have made up my mind which food I like and which I do not, I certainly don't need an adult saying that I didn't even try it. 

LOL. 🤣

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Roxydog15 said:

I actually did have them once.  Made by a gourmet cook friend of mine.  The wine, butter, garlic sauce was great, but did not care for the snail part. So I totally get the bread dipping part!

See this is why they need the mushroom caps, if you don't like the snails just order the escargot minus the snails lol

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

We hear you, we love escargot but we feel the same way about sushi, tried it but just can't get into it.  Any fish cooked, please bring it on.

Seriously, sushi isn’t one dish like escargot.  How many sushi dishes did you try?

On 8/17/2021 at 5:35 PM, canderson said:

Can we add "Maybe" to the options?  I really have to be in the right mood (related in some yet-to-be-determined fashion to prior consumption of Irish whiskey.)

Irish whiskey and escargot is an appropriate and wonderful pairing!

On 8/23/2021 at 8:50 AM, 1980dory said:

Yes. Every night PLUS any other that sounds appetizing !

Back on board this week and couldn’t wait to order the escargot. My lovely server Nelly came over to check how everything was and when she noticed they were already gone  she just said “Wow”—-I guess I need some without taking a breath in between! We had a good laugh, but they were absolutely delicious.

On 8/22/2021 at 2:48 PM, AmazedByCruising said:

Apparently you have never ordered braised pigs ear strips.  They are actually pretty good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nocl said:

Apparently you have never ordered braised pigs ear strips.  They are actually pretty good.

I have seen pickled pig's feet in jars at the market.  But the only pig's ears I have seen come in bags for my dog (who loves them btw).