Escargot--Yes or No?

Roxydog15

10 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Let’s kick it up a notch…anyone ever seen stuffed Quahogs on board (to most you probably know as stuffed clams, but in New England we have to change the name of everything)!  If you have, how were they?  

Unfortunately no.  For those non-NE types, it is Co-Hogs.

Absolutely will eat snails in any dish.

I grew up eating snails in tomato sauce. The live snails in their shells would be dumped into the pot of the simmering sauce during the last few minutes before being served with pasta .

LOL - As her parents had sophisticated tastes in food, my daughter had her first taste of snails in garlic and butter on a cruise when she was eighteen months old. She smacked her lips and we had to order a third appetizer for her as she would have happily eaten all of ours. 

11 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Let’s kick it up a notch…anyone ever seen stuffed Quahogs on board (to most you probably know as stuffed clams, but in New England we have to change the name of everything)!  If you have, how were they?  

Growing up on eastern Long Island, we were used to eating clams (little necks and cherry stones) raw or , once again, simmered in a pot of sauce.

I was out of college before I knew people   fried or stuffed them. My first serving of whole fried Ipswich  clams was an eye opener.

12 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Never quite understand the ‘slimy’ comment since they aren’t. 

They are before you cook them.....

(google is your friend)

Snail slime is secreted by glands located all over the body, though the largest, and that responsible for the silvery trails, is at the front of the foot. When resting, snails produce enough mucus to glue themselves to a substrate and create a membranous seal called an epiphragm covering the opening of the shell.
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hasentreelake said:

They are before you cook them.....

(google is your friend)

Snail slime is secreted by glands located all over the body, though the largest, and that responsible for the silvery trails, is at the front of the foot. When resting, snails produce enough mucus to glue themselves to a substrate and create a membranous seal called an epiphragm covering the opening of the shell.

Not eating them uncooked, so not slimy. :classic_rolleyes: 

• Like 2

There’s a lot of things I don’t eat without cooking! Ever tried to take a bite out of a cow standing in the field??? Heehee 

The way my mom boiled the heck out of broccoli turned it slimy and white. Wasn’t till my wife served me steamed broccoli was it edible. 

but of course the major point of escargot is the garlic and butter, for me. 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1

Fun memory - teenage sons (17 and 14) first cruise so my always food adventurous kids were happy to see lots of food available.  Older son (smooth talker) asks our waiter what he would suggest for dinner which earned him a smile and friend for the entire cruise.  So escargot was the starter, which they lapped up happily.  Every night after that 4 plates of escargot showed up as soon as they were seated.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I wish.  Stuffies of a cruise would be heaven.

14 hours ago, LGW59 said:

You can stuff any type of clam.

Quahogs are a specific type of clam that New Englanders commonly use for stuffies.  It is not a generic term for a stuffed clam.

For you Trivia Buffs:  The fictitious RI town in Family Guy is named after the clam.

Edited by The_Mac

I am a yes to Escargot and have it most nights in the MDR on Celebrity.  I love to dip bread in the garlic butter as well.  On the Equinox last week often half of our table for 8 would order the Escargot.  I don't eat Escargot at home, so it is a Celebrity treat I look forward to.

14 hours ago, LGW59 said:

When you go to Maine do you order your fried clams with batter or crumbs?

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

crumbs are for stuffies.

batter is for strips/bellies.

No such thing as crumbs on "fried" clams.

Edited by The_Mac
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Roxydog15 said:

So after years of giving my husband a hard time for probably being the only one who orders this in MDR, and that X stocks it just for him, thought I would toss it out there..

Do many of you ever order Escargot?

Yes, I was just saying in another thread about how great it is to try things like escargot without having to pay $30 in a restaurant.  Trying things I would never try at home is one of my joys of cruising.  I would have never tried so many things that are not some of my favorites.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Crumbs??  That is new on me for fried clams.  Always, always batter and deep fried with the juicy bellies of course and lots and lots of tartar sauce.  Who does not like a nice healthy meal in the summer.  If/when you find your way in MA again, highly recommend a trip to Woodman's in Essex.  Get a large basket of fried clams and you will be in heaven!

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Unfortunately no.  For those non-NE types, it is Co-Hogs.

Stop it Tee!!!  It is not Co-Hogs, they are quo-hogs.  And I thought you were much smahtah than this!  Then again you lived in western MA, if I recall, the language out there I always need an interpreter for.

6 hours ago, The_Mac said:

You can stuff any type of clam.

Quahogs are a specific type of clam that New Englanders commonly use for stuffies.  It is not a generic term for a stuffed clam.

For you Trivia Buffs:  The fictitious RI town in Family Guy is named after the clam.

Lived in NE most of my life, never heard the term “stuffies” until today.  Quahogs can be quite chewy but if the stuffing is right…