Carnival Revoking Exemptions for Unvaxed 12 and Up

AtoZgirl

Anyone else see the email that just came through? 

The (12 and over) unvaccinated people who received an exemption are going to be upset, as it looks like Carnival is revoking their exemption if they don’t have a medical reason for not getting the vaccine (must have letter from doctor). Effective 8/28.

977D013E-B980-4F74-83B3-2C0DEE729C8A.png

Edited by AtoZgirl
Added date
  • Like 9

• AtoZgirl changed the title to Carnival Revoking Exemptions for Unvaxed 12 and Up

They really don’t have much choice at this point. Many of the Caribbean ports are closed, and others are requiring full vaccination in order to be allowed port entry. That includes the private islands.

Just can’t operate that way.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, Babr said:

They really don’t have much choice at this point. Many of the Caribbean ports are closed, and others are requiring full vaccination in order to be allowed port entry. That includes the private islands.

Just can’t operate that way.

This.

It isn't Carnival operating in a vacuum.  (Because that would suck, lol.)

The Bahamas have said "no vaccine, no entry, entire ship."

So...if you aren't vaxxed, you get booted, so the rest of the ship can dock and visit.

Not surprising, frankly.

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I didn’t know they were approving any. All of the ones I’ve heard about have been kids (I assume under 12).

Yes, apparently a non-zero number of unvaxxed adults have been approved on previous (current?) cruises.

I guess that is gonna change.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

This.

It isn't Carnival operating in a vacuum.  (Because that would suck, lol.)

The Bahamas have said "no vaccine, no entry, entire ship."

So...if you aren't vaxxed, you get booted, so the rest of the ship can dock and visit.

Not surprising, frankly.

I havent seen this from any on my huge roll call. I'm thinking this is specific to where you are going out of and where the cruise is going.

My ports are the same ole Belize roatan and cozumel and it's not affecting my cruise so far.

EXCELLENT!! 

One step closer to 100% vaccinated cruising on one of the lines dragging behind the leaders. 

The irresponsible who refuse to get vaxed need not put the responsible among us at risk. 

This indeed a good day. 

• Like 51
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

EXCELLENT!! 

One step closer to 100% vaccinated cruising on one of the lines dragging behind the leaders. 

The irresponsible who refuse to get vaxed need not put the responsible among us at risk. 

This indeed a good day. 

How are you and the wife enjoying vista? I know you said a regular on princess, first time on carnival because it went out of texas. 

Hope your wife is enjoying it. 

Yes yet another tightening. Restrictions get ever tighter, not looser.

2 hours ago, Mallow said:

Good.  At least the vaccinated only have to avoid kids on board.

Well, there will still be unvaccinated adults on ships, either with medical excuses or fake vaccination cards.

The new rules don't seem to reduce the total number of unvaxxed; maybe not even the number of unvaxxed adults.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes yet another tightening. Restrictions get ever tighter, not looser.

Not at all surprising. I'm hearing of more and more fully vaccinated people testing positive. Hospitals out of space. Total Cases and Deaths increasing. When conditions warrant they will relax at a controlled rate.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mallow said:

Good.  At least the vaccinated only have to avoid kids on board.

I’m confused…As a vaccinated person, why do you need to avoid unvaccinated people and kids? Both vaccinated and unvaccinated people can still get and carry COVID. Vaccinated people are getting COVID all the time now. This is the reason why they changed the mask policy recently. The main benefit of the vaccine is to protect you from a really bad outcome and keep your symptoms mild (hopefully). 

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, jlynchtx said:

I’m confused…As a vaccinated person, why do you need to avoid unvaccinated people and kids? Both vaccinated and unvaccinated people can still get and carry COVID. Vaccinated people are getting COVID all the time now. This is the reason why they changed the mask policy recently. The main benefit of the vaccine is to protect you from a really bad outcome and keep your symptoms mild (hopefully). 

Vaccinated people are getting infected, but not at the same rate as the unvaccinated. You are more likely to be exposed from contact with an unvaccinated person. Do the math.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Vaccinated people are getting infected, but not at the same rate as the unvaccinated. You are more likely to be exposed from contact with an unvaccinated person. Do the math.

So do most vaccinated people really feel this way? They avoid kids because there is a small chance they might get exposed to COVID? What a crazy way to live. I am vaccinated and I don’t spend one minute worrying about who around me is vaccinated or not. To each their own I guess…

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jlynchtx said:

So do most vaccinated people really feel this way? They avoid kids because there is a small chance they might get exposed to COVID? What a crazy way to live. I am vaccinated and I don’t spend one minute worrying about who around me is vaccinated or not. To each their own I guess…

Kids are a different subject. More should be eligible for the vaccine before the end of the year. Then the number of exemptions should drop.

• Like 2

With most of the ports (Bahamas and private islands) not allowing cruise ships with an unvaxxed person 12 and older, this was coming. Even if they get the letter, they are probably going to have the exemption removed. If you look at eastern Caribbean now, you have St Maarten, Amber Cove, OSJ, St Thomas, and Bahamas. That is it right now I believe. All of the Bahamas, St Thomas and soon OSJ will have the same restrictions. I expect the rest as well. 

They need to flat out stop playing games and end the unvaxxed plan. A simple "We are truly sorry but due to explosion of covid cases in the US, Carnival must make the decision to continue sailing. In order to do this, we must travel 100% vaccinated. Breakthrough cases will be what will put us at the limit of acceptable cases. To our shareholders and debtors, we owe it to them to be able to continue sailing. We are sorry this will temporarily effect some, but a massive majority will still be able to vacation with us."

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jlynchtx said:

I’m confused…As a vaccinated person, why do you need to avoid unvaccinated people and kids? 

This question has been asked and answered a million times. Would you want to go to a house party full of unvaccinated people for a week or fully vaccinated ? Which do you think gives you a better chance of not catching Covid, getting it severely and it spreading quickly? You should know the answer to your own question by now.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Glad Carnival is tightening up rules again.  I am hoping by my January cruise covid will be beaten down a bit.  Will get my Pfizer booster as soon as it is offered to me - hopefully November if not sooner.(8 months from my 2nd covid vaccine).  CDC's new recommendation that even vaccinated people with underlying med conditions should avoid cruising puts a damper on my getting on a ship in the near future.

• Like 5

What we really need is an accurate, quantitative antibody test. A person who recovered from Covid in July will be less likely to catch or spread Covid than someone who was vaccinated in January. The best way to get back to unrestricted and safe cruising would be to set a minimum antibody level a month before the cruise departs.

These tests are being developed so there is hope they will be there in the future. Right now, there just isn't a reliable way to track who has been sick and recovered so mandating vaccines remains the only viable option.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

This question has been asked and answered a million times. Would you want to go to a house party full of unvaccinated people for a week or fully vaccinated ? Which do you think gives you a better chance of not catching Covid, getting it severely and it spreading quickly? You should know the answer to your own question by now.

It honestly would not bother me a bit either way. I live my life like normal and I never think about who around me is vaccinated or not vaccinated. It’s just not something I dwell on. I know many unvaccinated people who have never caught COVID yet and I know vaccinated people who have had COVID even after they were vaccinated. I am vaccinated and have never had COVID, but I figure I will get it at some point in my life. Life is too short to be divided over these things. 

• Like 7