The Daily for Tuesday August 24, 2021

richwmn

Whew!!! It has been a hectic few days. I have been reading the dailies and mentally sending out best wishes, positive thoughts and congrats to all that need them. Just have not had time to sit down and compose my thoughts and put it all into words.

Besides the roofs at the condos.... I am also working on getting bids and specs for roofs and HVAC system at the shelter. This is turning out to be a nightmare as I we are finding other issues that need to be addressed. In addition, our Shelter Director tried to return to work too soon and is now out again. I was blaming my sleep problems on all of this.... but sounds like others are having the same problem. At least my dog and those silly macaws keep me laughing. Mcaws are still waiting on their blood tests before heading of to a sanctuary. They screech at me when I came into the room... and they love to watch the world through the front window. I hope they get lots of stimulation at their new home.

Have not been to today's port and my meals are definitely out of sync with various recommendations. Will be finishing up some meatloaf today and then need to go shopping. My frig really looks pathetic ... I did too good a job of clearing it out.

Take care all. I wish I were headed for a cruise... but given my age, I think I will wait until things settle a bit more. My Sister chose not attend her high school reunion for the same reason - she graduated in 1946!!! Few of her fellow grads left.

Susan

• Like 16

I am sorry to hear that I have so much company in the No Sleep Club.  What is going on with us?   It still hasn't totally hit me that I only got a few hours sleep.  I'll start dragging this afternoon.  

@smitty34877 I am glad Tana is home, but like you, worry it may be too much for her.   She is so lucky to have you right next door.  

@StLouisCruisers  Keeping fingers crossed and on the lookout for news about Tyler.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Mcaws are still waiting on their blood tests before heading of to a sanctuary. They screech at me when I came into the room... and they love to watch the world through the front window. I hope they get lots of stimulation at their new home.

I would prefer screeching Macaws to bats doing laps in our living room. Love the bats outside because of all the mosquitoes they consume, but they don't always stay outside. The bats should be heading south in a little over a week. They tend to follow the school schedule and arrive around Memorial Day and fly away around Labor Day. I don't think any of our bats have had a blood test:) 

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 9
  • Haha 5

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. A salute to iconic restaurants. I saw Vesuvius on my way to Pompeii. Pass on strange music. Funny quote.

I like the meal with mushrooms in with the orzo, it would fit my softer food diet for now, but a bit carb laden for me. I'll pass on the drink, but take the wine. I like Roy's meal.

I have not been to Indonesia. Thanks for the pictures.

Hot here today - 90F. I went out this morning and got the orthodontic wax. I put some on my tooth, but it won't be very durable. I did set up an appointment, but not until Sept 20; I asked to be put on the cancellation list. I got results on the bone survey (due to abnormal immunoglobulins) and it's fine (yay). Awaiting MRI x 2 results.

@kazu Your plants and flowers are beautiful.

@mamaofami I hope the aide situation gets settled soon.

@StLouisCruisers Continued prayers for DGS.

@Himself Belated Happy Birthday!

@smitty34877 Prayers for Tana. She is fortunate to have such great family support.

@cunnorl Great on not needing a root canal.

@grapau27 You two eat well!

@dfish Unlike you and others, I've been sleeping 7-8 hour daily.

@Overhead Fred When I first moved to Pittsburgh in 1978, there were Isaly restaurants all over. Skyscraper cones!

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, wear your mask, and social distance. We had 273 new cases in the county since yesterday.

Vesuvius behind the Temple of Jupiter  in Pompeii, from a 1994 trip to Italy.

810292146_073-TempleofJupiter2TriumphalarchesatthesidesPompeii.thumb.jpg.0494994c0a2bc19d3c12d70157decda6.jpg

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22

Good afternoon from central Texas.  It is supposed to be 99F today and tomorrow, then start cooling to the lower 90sF.  It's not our normal August weather, but I'm definitely not complaining.  It's been a busy morning with errands and laundry.  I just got caught up on the Daily.

An interesting collection of days.  Another iconic restaurant I miss is Howard Johnson's.  Loved their fried clams and especially their ice cream -- 21 flavors.  As far as strange music, I think each generaton felt the next's generations music was strange, but then there were the songs with silly lyrics from the 1950s.  We've seen Vesuvius several times and enjoyed Pompeii and Herculaneum.  

Paula Poundstone can be very funny, and I like her quote.

Like the meal of the day, and will probably be savde it until our vergetarians are here.  I would also be inclined to add more mushrooms and different ones.  The wine will be kept in mind for a celebration, but will pass on the drink.  

Last week, I was having trouble sleeping, but the last two nights I have slept very weel.  Hopefully, sleeping will improve for those with trouble sleeping lately.

@kazu  Jacqui, I loved your travel meme and the flowers are beautiful as usual.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope you get better results from the new agency.  Sorry that Sam's favorite ice cream shop was destroyed.  

@Crazy For Cats  Your meme sums up the Daily perfectly.  👍

@smitty34877  Terry, glad Tana felt well enough to move back home, but like you and others, I'm concerned she will try to do too much.  Grateful that you and your DD will still be helping several hours a day and providing meals.  Hope you get through to the power company today.

@cunnorl  Sounds like you have a wonderful dentist with a wonderful staff.  Don't let them retire.  🤣

@durangoscots  You seem to have your hands full at the condos and at the shelter.  Hope the shelter director's set-back is not serious.

@ger_77  Glad you got some much needed rain, but sorry the farmers had damaged crops.   I know you will enjoy your haircut.  I needed one the other day, but with the Delta variant surge, I was hesitant to go into the shop.  I am back to cutting my own hair with a little straightening by DH.   So far, so good.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, sending good thoughts for your DGS surgery.  BTW, if your computer keyboard acts up only on CC, it might not be your keyboard, but our friendly CC gremlins.  Lately, on the computer and tablet, I've noticed the cursor is not where I left it or I can't backspace. when I'm on CC.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, great news that your bone scan was fine.  Hope you get the same results from the MRIs.  Also, hope you get your dental appointment moved up soon. 

@Vict0riann  Ann, sounds like Dr. Bonnie is taking needed action to fight the lataest surge of cases.  Wish that would happen here.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Another announcement from yesterday, which I missed - the mask mandate in indoor public spaces is back, as of tomorrow!  I'm happy about that.

I have been wearing my masks indoors even though there is no longer a mandate.  Several businesses are actually still requiring it for which I don’t blame them.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Hats off to iconic restaurants, Big Boy being my favorite, Vesuvius, and strange music.  I

In 2017, we discovered a Big Boy restaurant in Bismarck, ND.  It is drive-thru only, but they have picnic tables and a parking area where you can eat.  So far, they have survived this past 18 months.  Their Big Boy hamburger is as good as ever, and follows the original recepie.  DH had the local specialty, pizza burger, and was not super impressed.

There are Big Boys in several mid-western states, California (5) and Thailand (2).

This is the one in Bismarck, and it always had a long line of cars waiting to order, but the line moved quickly.

DSC08697.thumb.JPG.090ec085f0596c36d0d0dd043a8ca028.JPG

DSC08699.thumb.JPG.d704d67bd71c320632d5981afb1bc7e9.JPG

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all! 
@Vict0riann I have Dr Henry envy!  
love iconic restaurants, 

@Seasick Sailor what one is that?  Reminds me of Katz deli in NYC  where Harry met Sally😉

@Mr. Boston we used to have Big Boy,  he’s alive and well in Japan!  

C4ED2CC7-91B4-41AE-BE00-A69F81629104.jpegA plug for people to visit the amazing Villa Oplontis,  Neros wife’s villa also ruined by Vesuvius 

94BADAF4-1F73-4B88-849D-4737B18A2C50.jpeg

C6E0E0B4-143C-495E-A9C7-B755127EB60E.jpeg

669937DD-AC60-4663-893C-9F48ED0C2677.jpeg

A7E9031D-513E-47EF-BADF-F6F9FE317DBD.jpeg

4747AFA2-D388-47E8-B98D-448E4CFBC6B1.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - Paula Kornell NV Brut Méthode Champenoise Sparkling (California) California Other

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Paula Kornell NV Brut Méthode Champenoise

Looking for an excellent, but reasonable sparkling wine? Look no further. This California sparkler announced itself to the world with a bang. A rating of 94 - for the first released vintage! I am adding this to my list, and at a starting price online of $16.98 it won’t hurt my budget!

Winemaker Notes

#5 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

This perfect introduction to Paula Kornell’s sparkling wines has all the elegance, refinement,and freshness that one would expect from the best bubbles. Its racy acidity makes the wine lively and refreshing, while the small amount of residual sugar gives the wine weight and depth alongside the aromas of lemon pith, fresh peaches, just-ripe apricots, toast, acacia, and honeysuckle.

Ideal for a Sunday afternoon in the garden, a weekend picnic, or at the beginning of a meal, this approachable and highly drinkable wine will satisfy all tastes.

Blend: 80% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir

WE94 Wine Enthusiast: This inaugural release is stunning and incredibly impressive—a wine well worth stocking up on for the price and quality. A beautiful jasmine aroma leads to marzipan, peach and cherry flavors as lively acidity envelopes the palate. It’s a blend of 80% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Noir.

Sorry folks today's wine pushes me into pontification mode.

I am not much of a sparkling wine fan.  I do, however, enjoy the festiveness of sparklers.  On every one of our cruises we sit on our balcony during sailaway with a bottle of bubbles and get our cruise off to a great start.

The Paula Kornell NV Brut is just a terrific wine, and, as @cat shepard indicates, it is very easy on the wallet.

Paula Kornell is the daughter of pioneering winemaker Hanns Kornell of Kornell Champagne Cellars.  So, she is carrying on the family tradition while blazing her own path.

When I learned that Robin Akhurst was the winemaker at Paula Kornell, I knew I would be checking it out.  Robin Akhurst is another very interesting personality in the California wine industry.  He is a Scotsman who sold his motorcycle and moved to Burgundy to learn winemaking.  He then went to New Zealand before finding his way to Napa Valley.  There he apprenticed under two pretty stout winemakers--Thomas Rivers Brown and Mike Smith.  In addition to Paula Kornell he is also the winemaker for Swanson Vineyards and Clos Pegase Winery.  However, it is at his own winery--Apsara Cellars--where he best shows his talent.  At Apsara he is able to produce wines in very small batches--less than 100 cases and, often, less than 50 cases.  Apsara Cabernet Sauvignons and Syrahs are, truly, outstanding.

While I am at it, I am also going to give a shout out for the meal recommendations from@richwmn and @rafinmd.  Both of those sound pretty good to me.  In fact, combining them on the same plate sounds pretty good to me.

• Like 18

@kazu   Lavatera gets immense!  It’s hard to find here,   Glad your peppers are blooming.  
our Black pearls are as well, slowly,  some seriously haven’t grown,  even though fertilized and coddled!    The purple jalapeños are much further along. 

08310D97-BB59-4D20-A61F-206CC0F25ADA.jpeg

FE566B04-4C96-428B-91B9-A192388A33C5.jpeg

• Like 16

13 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@kazu   Lavatera gets immense!  It’s hard to find here,   Glad your peppers are blooming.  
our Black pearls are as well, slowly,  some seriously haven’t grown,  even though fertilized and coddled!    The purple jalapeños are much further along. 

08310D97-BB59-4D20-A61F-206CC0F25ADA.jpeg

FE566B04-4C96-428B-91B9-A192388A33C5.jpeg

You’re ahead of me Brenda but I’m glad to see your Black Pearls are producing.  I don’t know why my chilies are later this year.  We’ve certainly had tons of hot humid weather.  

My lavatera was from seed.  Whenever I’ve planted it before, it’s only been about 18” high at the max.  These are huge and just keep flowering.  I’d love to do more next year but how to keep the seeds happy while I am away (if we can go away to cruise).???

DH wants them back.  He might have to be content with the malvas 😉 

• Like 14

Big Boy was our place to go in college.  If we were celebrating a birthday we went to Bill Knapp's for the free birthday cake.  When we were traveling between Michigan and Binghamton, New York we always stopped in Niagara Falls at the Howard Johnson's.   I remember those bright orange roofs.  Mom and Dad felt HoJo's was a good place to go with six young kids as it was very family oriented.  

When I first moved to Ohio I was introduced to Isaly's.  That place was here for a long time.  That was where all the grumpy people who didn't like teachers went to complain to each other that we actually got paid.  It was known in town for that group.   Round the Clock is where we went for breakfast on Sundays.  

These days I try to patronize independently owned places rather than chains.   Locally owned and run keeps most of the money in the community.  

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon all, I hope everyone is having a great day. It’s another hot and humid day here and it’s expected to be that thru Friday. 
    An update on our young lifeguard. He will be laid to rest on Friday. The city of Cape May is naming an area of the beach in his memory . 
        The family had set up a Go Fund Me page to cover his medical expenses, the city is now covering all expenses, so the family will now establish scholarships in his honor . 
         In the spirit of brotherhood, neighboring Beach Patrols from throughout the south Jersey area are providing coverage so Cape May guards are able to attend his service and grieve their loss. 
The amount raised so far is over $150,000.

Stay safe and be kind to each other 🙏❤️

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the information.  It is always amazing how people will step up to help families in time of a tragedy.  And how nice of the family to think of others in their time of sorrow and to set up scholarships in his honor  Also to be honored is the generosity of the other beach patrols to cover for Cape May, so they can attend the service.

Lenda

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Himself said:

Rich:

Thank you for the Daily Fleet report.  I am back home from  Irish Fest in Milwaukee. 

I was celebrating my 82nd birthday.   Have a great day.

Happy Birthday Week. 82 deserves more than one day of celebration.

• Like 7

Sorry that I've missed the last few days -- you all have been busy!

Thank you for the Daily, and all the caring here. My favorite iconic restaurant is Commander's Palace in New Orleans. Quite a few top chefs trained there.

We saw Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii on our last cruise in 2019. I grew up with pictures of Pompeii from Nat Geo, so I was thrilled!

My DH's favorite drink was an espresso martini - but only on a cruise ship! My plan is for that to be my first drink when I board the Nieuw Amsterdam in October.

A friend asked me to drive her to her beach rental on Saturday, so I did that on Saturday & came home Sunday. Ended up having an unexpected mini-high school reunion with friends that visited from CT. I had to come back because Monday was my volunteer day at a collection site where I sort clothing & other donations for shipment overseas.  Now I'm back & need to catch up here!

Edi

• Like 15

Good afternoon!  This must be the latest I've ever checked in here.  Like so many others, I had a bad night's sleep last night.  I slept from 10-12, then until 2, then was awake until 4:30.  Finally was able to sleep until 8:30, (I never sleep that late!) so I actually got about 7-8 hours' (I guess) but it sure wasn't pleasant! 

Thank you @AncientWandererfor your good wishes re my 3rd Covid vaccine.  But I had a big disappointment 😞  Even though the pharmacy told DH a few days ago that I qualify, being Diabetic and high blood pressure, when I went in this morning for my 10:30 appointment, I was told I don't qualify 😞  I'm a bit upset that we were told different things, and also that the form I filled in online didn't stop me before setting the appointment.  The good news is that DH, who has recurring bladder cancer, did get his booster yesterday.  I told him I guess I'll stick close to him and hope some of it wears off on me. 😉  

Our state now has a mask mandate again for all public indoor spaces.  I was so happy to see that!

@HimselfHappy Birthday!!

We have been to Pompeii twice and Herculaneum once.  In 2011 we climbed to the peak of Vesuvius and looked down into the steaming crater.  What a memory!

1275167239_TempleofJoveandVesuvius.jpg.ed4d9f025d819c7bf25a5d84f721bffb.jpg

Hiking to the top

540076694_hikeupVesuvius.jpg.11442089b7e1b25a5c51e4253276187e.jpg

1664593915_Vesuviussign.jpg.87d6d865265a93eba7ca657612ddfad3.jpg

Looking into the steaming crater

1313485223_thecrater.jpg.6d34e113c5736a148ed32249554566c4.jpg

View of Naples from the top of Vesuvius

Naples.jpg.63667ef6b83df11fb4494754bf957332.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon!  This must be the latest I've ever checked in here.  Like so many others, I had a bad night's sleep last night.  I slept from 10-12, then until 2, then was awake until 4:30.  Finally was able to sleep until 8:30, (I never sleep that late!) so I actually got about 7-8 hours' (I guess) but it sure wasn't pleasant! 

Thank you @AncientWandererfor your good wishes re my 3rd Covid vaccine.  But I had a big disappointment 😞  Even though the pharmacy told DH a few days ago that I qualify, being Diabetic and high blood pressure, when I went in this morning for my 10:30 appointment, I was told I don't qualify 😞  I'm a bit upset that we were told different things, and also that the form I filled in online didn't stop me before setting the appointment.  The good news is that DH, who has recurring bladder cancer, did get his booster yesterday.  I told him I guess I'll stick close to him and hope some of it wears off on me. 😉  

Our state now has a mask mandate again for all public indoor spaces.  I was so happy to see that!

@HimselfHappy Birthday!!

We have been to Pompeii twice and Herculaneum once.  In 2011 we climbed to the peak of Vesuvius and looked down into the steaming crater.  What a memory!

1275167239_TempleofJoveandVesuvius.jpg.ed4d9f025d819c7bf25a5d84f721bffb.jpg

Hiking to the top

540076694_hikeupVesuvius.jpg.11442089b7e1b25a5c51e4253276187e.jpg

1664593915_Vesuviussign.jpg.87d6d865265a93eba7ca657612ddfad3.jpg

Looking into the steaming crater

1313485223_thecrater.jpg.6d34e113c5736a148ed32249554566c4.jpg

View of Naples from the top of Vesuvius

Naples.jpg.63667ef6b83df11fb4494754bf957332.jpg

Wow, Carolyn!   The view into the crater is amazing.  I've been to Pompeii and would love to get to Herculaneum.  Now I have to add hiking to the top of Vesuvius to the ever expanding bucket list.  

Sorry about your bad night.  I tried to take a nap and couldn't fall asleep this afternoon.  No idea what this is about, but generally I don't sleep on Monday nights for some reason.

• Like 10

@Cruising-along, why did they say you did not qualify for the booster?  And which pharmacy did you go to?  

Love your pictures of Vesuvius.  I don't think I would dare the climb!  Happy you have a mask mandate again.

We went out to Butchart's Gardens this morning to renew our year passes.  There were a lot of "foreign" license plates, mainly Alberta, but a lot from Quebec, Ontario and some US states including Washington  It was really crowded, grownups and kids shouting etc., and we wore our masks.  Even outdoors!

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm so sorry to hear that they turned you away.   The vaccine roll-outs have been moving targets all along.  But, yes, would have been nice had they called and cancelled your appointment,

The questionnaire that DH and I filled out was very general and really wouldn't exclude many people.  I have a slew of chronic conditions, but I didn't "rely" on any of them when filling out the form.  We thought maybe just our age allowed us to make the appointments.  They've probably changed the questions by now to be more strict.  

I'm glad your DH got his, though.   Hopefully they will become available to everyone pretty soon.   It does sound like that third shot is necessary, at least for older people.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2