The Daily for Tuesday August 24, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

My neighbour/stylist called to say she had a "colour emergency" and could we reschedule to tomorrow.  So I'll be looking fine and fresh tomorrow around 9AM.  

I bet there is a good story tomorrow on that “colour emergency” 😉 😆 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I think our SIL should be eligible then too.  I'll hopefully be able to get mine in mid-late October, right after the cruise.  That will be 8 months for me.

@StLouisCruisersso glad Tyler's surgery went well!  You can rest easy now. 🙂  

Thank you!  😴

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

What's your Binghamton connection?  Binghamton University is my Alma Mater.

Roy

I was born in Binghamton and all the relatives lived there including Grandma.  Every summer we made the pilgrimage across Ontario to New York and Grandma’s house.

My dad went to Binghamton University before it was Binghamton University.  It was Harpur College back then.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

Power is out right now.  Estimated time for restoration is 9:30 pm

Wow!  Henri is gone from your area.  Wonder what happened?  Hope it comes on as scheduled 🤞 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, that's good news that the surgery went well, and Tyler is on his way to his Dad's place.  Hope for smooth sailing and quick healing.

@dfish  Hope your power is restored soon.

Lenda 

Same here!  Smooth sailing sounds good!😉 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I can't believe it's taken so long to get up to date information, but apparently hospital surgical units don't follow their schedules closely.  He wasn't taken back for surgery until hours later than scheduled and said he was pretty thirsty by then.  The doctor reported all went well and they were able to remove a large section of "bone" in the way of the nerve.  DD said she will keep me updated tonight when he gets home with his Dad.  Right now all looks good.  I hope that continues! 

Thanks to all for their concern.  So appreciated!❤️

Well it must be good news, if they are letting him go home the same day!

Prayers that all goes smoothly winging their way. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Henri never stopped by my area, so it wasn't him to blame.  Who knows what it was.  We have all  underground wiring here so it is hard to say.   On the outage map the symbol was placed at the end of my street.

Power is back on now.  They were early!!!

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Well it must be good news, if they are letting him go home the same day!

Prayers that all goes smoothly winging their way. 

DD described the incision as supposedly only 1 inch long so sounds sort of like the latest laparoscopic type surgery and they usually go home earlier than the old ways.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I was born in Binghamton and all the relatives lived there including Grandma.  Every summer we made the pilgrimage across Ontario to New York and Grandma’s house.

My dad went to Binghamton University before it was Binghamton University.  It was Harpur College back then.

It was actually Harpur College at least when I entered (the first year the Endicott campus was not used).  My diploma says Harpur College but it became Binghamton University the year I graduated.

Roy

• Like 4

Good evening!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. Prayers to those on the Care list.  Roy @rafinmd you can take my DM off the list, she completed her treatments today. She will have follow ups and a new scan in about 3 months. She is very happy that that part is over now. What a spunky old lady she is!

I think A & W would be my favorite iconic restaurant. It was my first real job in the small town I lived in during my early teens. 

I missed some events on the Daily but thought about you all. Happy belated Birthday wishes to @Vict0riann and @Himself.  And @StLouisCruisers so good to hear your DGS Tyler is doing well after surgery. I like his name too, it is our son’s middle name. 

On Sunday Craig bought a new printer, our old one was acting up. So we actually reprinted our luggage tags so they would be clearer.  I have all the packing done except for the last minute things. Tomorrow we have our covid tests. I’ll let you all know how that goes. Thursday we take Blue to our Vets office for boarding. They love him there. Friday our flight is at 7:00 am so we will be getting up super early, but the nice thing is we get to Seattle early. 

Have a great evening!

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We had big news yesterday, Dr. Bonnie has decreed that a vaccine card will be required for entry to "non-essential" venues, such as restaurants, gyms, shows and games, etc., starting in September.  I wonder how that is going to work out, and who is going to enforce it.  And people coming from other provinces will have to prove they are vaccinated, too.  

Is the card given in Canada more “secure” than the one given in the States?

8 hours ago, dfish said:

I am sorry to hear that I have so much company in the No Sleep Club.  What is going on with us?   It still hasn't totally hit me that I only got a few hours sleep.  I'll start dragging this afternoon.  

Interesting. I’ve been in that club this past week too. I thought the neighbor was getting up and walking under their motion detector activated light at 3:00/3:30 again, but the light is not on. Could this be the follow up to the Appliance Club?

7 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

I would prefer screeching Macaws to bats doing laps in our living room. Love the bats outside because of all the mosquitoes they consume, but they don't always stay outside. The bats should be heading south in a little over a week. They tend to follow the school schedule and arrive around Memorial Day and fly away around Labor Day. I don't think any of our bats have had a blood test:) 

I hope they’re not in your house. Around here, if a bat is found indoors in a room, such as a bedroom, the people are considered to be bitten and exposed to rabies. And treated prophylactically. That is because bats teeth are tiny and one might not know they were bitten. Most, if not all, bats found here locally have tested + for rabies.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Is the card given in Canada more “secure” than the one given in the States?

Interesting. I’ve been in that club this past week too. I thought the neighbor was getting up and walking under their motion detector activated light at 3:00/3:30 again, but the light is not on. Could this be the follow up to the Appliance Club?

I hope they’re not in your house. Around here, if a bat is found indoors in a room, such as a bedroom, the people are considered to be bitten and exposed to rabies. And treated prophylactically. That is because bats teeth are tiny and one might not know they were bitten. Most, if not all, bats found here locally have tested + for rabies.

So when we had a house in the mountains in Idaho, we had a bat problem.  I used to wear a broad-brimmed hat in the jacuzzi because they terrified me in the evening.

Somebody told me to light up our house at night after they have swooped out for the evening, and then they wouldn't come back to roost.  So I got these super bright spotlights and set them up around the perimeter and then watched and waited from the windows.  Well...the lights attracted every kind of bug imaginable, and there were bats EVERYWHERE going after them.   It was a bat party out there -- some small, and some that looked like they could turn into Count Dracula.

Of course, I couldn't go outside to turn off the lights, so I just went to bed.  In the morning, the spotlights were still on, and our bats were back settled into the eaves of our house.    

I tried this experiment when DH was back in San Diego to work.  I planned to surprise him that I got rid of the bats.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I wonder how they got there with the border closed for land crossings?  

Truly perplexing and frustrating for the rest of us that are being “good” and following rules 🤷‍♂️ 😔 

Back over a year ago, when the border was closed both ways, a man wanted for murder in Texas, ended up in our small city. How  did he get thru the border, especially when he was 'wanted'???

@StLouisCruisersHappy to hear the good news about Tyler.

@smitty34877Good news about Tana.  You have been a wonderful support for her and her son. Bless you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for sll the daily information, photos and humour.

@Himself belated Happy Birthday.

@smitty34877best wishes to Tana that she copes well in her own home. She will appreciate the help that you and your DD give her.

@JazzyV good news with the result of your bone scan.

@StLouisCruisersgood news that Tyler is now home from hospital, staying  with his father. 

Numbers continue to rise,   by 62, new total 210, the cases all in Auckland and Wellington. 12 people in hospital, none in ICU. 

It's another sunny day, expected temperature 19 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for sll the daily information, photos and humour.

@Himself belated Happy Birthday.

@smitty34877best wishes to Tana that she copes well in her own home. She will appreciate the help that you and your DD give her.

@JazzyV good news with the result of your bone scan.

@StLouisCruisersgood news that Tyler is now home from hospital, staying  with his father. 

Numbers continue to rise,   by 62, new total 210, the cases all in Auckland and Wellington. 12 people in hospital, none in ICU. 

It's another sunny day, expected temperature 19 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Good hearing from both of you. Stay safe and do wish all is well with both of you.

Got a cruise booked or waiting?

Bruce

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

They do occasionally enter the house; we have never been bitten, but certainly get a little freaked out as they fly in circles and seem to refuse our urgings to go outside. Most of the time they will leave with just a little coaxing after we turn all of the lights on in the house and direct them toward an opened door to the darkness.

To my knowledge, we do not have any rabies cases nearby from bats or other varmints.  

• Like 2