Ballroom dancing on the Regal Princess

Carnevale

If offered it would be in the Piazza and maybe at the small dance floor at the front of the Vista Lounge. The Wheelhouse Bar does not have a dance floor. In the past I have noticed a few that dance in what is actually the corridor adjacent to the Bar. It's a very small area. 

31 minutes ago, skynight said:

If offered it would be in the Piazza and maybe at the small dance floor at the front of the Vista Lounge. The Wheelhouse Bar does not have a dance floor. In the past I have noticed a few that dance in what is actually the corridor adjacent to the Bar. It's a very small area. 

Sometimes they try to cram too much into that small area.  Also encroaches on CG dining. 

Thx to all who replied.  It isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but we love ballroom dancing and are disappointed to see it disappear from so many ships.  We have FCC to use so will probably book on Regal as there’s an itinerary of interest but, after that, I think we will need to stay with Cunard, Crystal, and Regent where dancing is still available.  Too bad as if Princess had more ballroom dancing we would be very happy sailing on it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Thx to all who replied.  It isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but we love ballroom dancing and are disappointed to see it disappear from so many ships.  We have FCC to use so will probably book on Regal as there’s an itinerary of interest but, after that, I think we will need to stay with Cunard, Crystal, and Regent where dancing is still available.  Too bad as if Princess had more ballroom dancing we would be very happy sailing on it.

Yes, Canavale, for those of us who consider ballroom dancing an important reason to select a cruise ship, the industry has turned against us.  It seems as if bigger ships, which should have plenty of space for dancing, don't.  Perhaps it's because dancing is not a profit center.  Even Princess R ships, now long gone, had space.  For Celebrity, the loss of Mercury Class ships was tough to see..  Like you, we are gravitating more to Cunard and Crystal, where dancing is esteemed, and provided for.

Bruce

• Like 3

" Sometimes they try to cram too much into that small area.  Also encroaches on CG dining."  

I would enjoy watching  a couple performing the foxtrot while partaking in a fine cabernet and veal chop  😉

• Like 3

We danced ballroom and Latin on Royal Princess in the atrium and intend to do the same on Regal next summer.

If the music is right then we'll be on the floor, particularly if it's a good swing number to Foxtrot to. Not always a pretty sight after a few drinks though, but I don't give a monkeys!

Shame they stopped the Ballroom Blitz competitions a few years back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess has cut back on passenger dancing during the pandemic.

Once the pandemic is over, this may change.

Bill,

What you say makes sense in its own right, but the larger issue is that Princess continues to cut down on dancing venues and space to dance, regardless of the pandemic.

Bruce

• Like 1

We actually started to get interested in ballroom dancing on one of our first cruises. I saw people having a good time, and saw it as an "excuse" to be close with DW. Though we had no idea as to the proper steps, those who did encouraged us instead of looking down at us for not being knowledgeable.

After that, we started to take lessons, and discovered we have vastly different attitudes toward dancing. DW wants to get the steps perfect while I want to let the music move my body. (One instructor even said I was "very creative".) DW tries to get the steps right, and I would keep reminding her that the number one rule is "he leads, she follows". I got her very frustrated at times.🤣

Having said all that, we, especially DW, do look for dancing on ships, and are very disappointed if it is not readily available. She especially wants there to be dance lessons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/4/2021 at 7:10 AM, Steelers36 said:

Sometimes they try to cram too much into that small area.  Also encroaches on CG dining. 

I really dislike the incorporation of the bar with the CG.  If you are unfortunate enough to be seated near the front of the restaurant good luck having a conversation.  They had a 5 piece jazz combo playing as loudly as possible last time we dined there.  I will not eat there unless they guarantee us a seat in the rear of the restaurant and then the noise can still be annoying.  

This was a big fail in the design incorporating the bar with the CG.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 7:16 PM, brucedodge said:

Bill,

What you say makes sense in its own right, but the larger issue is that Princess continues to cut down on dancing venues and space to dance, regardless of the pandemic.

Bruce

And they have cut down on live bands playing the ballroom music, choosing instead to DJ it.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 7:23 PM, cruzsnooze said:

Not enough people are interested in Ballroom dancing anymore. When you're on a mass market cruise line they need to focus on what appeals to the majority of people. Enjoy your dancing where you can, I think it's lovely. 

Obviously then what appeals to the majority of people are art auctions, presentations about the shops to go to when you are in port as well as lectures on teeth whitening.

• Haha 3

There is a dancing group on the Sky Princess on January 24th.  If you google dancing at sea, you will find the contact John Ranivand . He was prompt to give me a quote . You might inquire about perhaps  other cruises like this.  It includes lots of dance opportunities, parties, lessons.  
So google dancing at sea.

www.dancingatsea.com

Not to be confused, but there is another group called Dancers at Sea. I had actually booked this cruise for New Years eve , also on Princess but ended up canceling guven the current situation with covid.  So google  dancers at sea.

hope to meet you dancing soon

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Obviously then what appeals to the majority of people are art auctions, presentations about the shops to go to when you are in port as well as lectures on teeth whitening.

Ahhhhhh But you're talking REVENUE a whole different conversation.

• Like 1

After nearly thirty cruises on nine or ten different lines, I can say confidently that the only line currently offering a meaningful ballroom dance experience is Cunard. Until five or six years ago, I might have added HAL, at least for a little pre-dinner dancing in the Ocean Bar. But then they did away with the jazz/swing combo that used to play in that venue. On our 21-night Cunard Queen Mary 2 cruise in 2019, I think they offered three or four hours of ballroom dancing every single night, usually to a live nine-piece band and a singer, with occasional professional performances and a half-dozen or so "dance hosts" (of both sexes) for solo passengers or for people whose spouses didn't want to dance. They also had a separate (and spacious) disco, with either a live band or a very good DJ, that was open until 1:00AM. There's nothing else like it at sea.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

After nearly thirty cruises on nine or ten different lines, I can say confidently that the only line currently offering a meaningful ballroom dance experience is Cunard. Until five or six years ago, I might have added HAL, at least for a little pre-dinner dancing in the Ocean Bar. But then they did away with the jazz/swing combo that used to play in that venue. On our 21-night Cunard Queen Mary 2 cruise in 2019, I think they offered three or four hours of ballroom dancing every single night, usually to a live nine-piece band and a singer, with occasional professional performances and a half-dozen or so "dance hosts" (of both sexes) for solo passengers or for people whose spouses didn't want to dance. They also had a separate (and spacious) disco, with either a live band or a very good DJ, that was open until 1:00AM. There's nothing else like it at sea.

We were told onboard the Maasdam in 2018 when we asked about the lack of dancing, that it could be found on HAL's larger ships.

Then we saw posts on these boards that dancing was also lacking in the larger HAL ships.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We were told onboard the Maasdam in 2018 when we asked about the lack of dancing, that it could be found on HAL's larger ships.

Then we saw posts on these boards that dancing was also lacking in the larger HAL ships.

The only dancing venue on the larger HAL ships is the B.B. King's Blues Club. And (although it's usually good) that's not "ballroom" dancing.

• Thanks 1