The Daily for Sunday September 05, 2021

richwmn

The Daily for Sunday September 05, 2021

Today is Be Late for Something Day, Cheese Pizza Day, International Day of Charity, and Pet Rock Day

I have never been hurt by what I have not said. - Calvin Coolidge

Meal suggestion for today - Brazilian Chicken A Mineira

Drink of the Day - Scotch and soda

Wine of the day - Solar Viejo Rioja - Spain - Red

Destination of the Day - Port Lincoln Australia

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Juneau

Piraeus, Athens, Greece
Eurodam 07:00 - 17:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Balearic Sea
Rotterdam Destination Ijmuiden NL eta 9/10

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Puerto Vallarta MX
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam AmchorageWorld.thumb.png.a0f8a3afc85d9fd20b1c3f1947113aba.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Another interesting collection of days.  I hate being late, I'm always early, so I don't think I can embrace "Be Late for Something" Day.  Cheese pizza is okay.  Charity is a wonderful thing, today and everyday.  And I think I could find a pet rock, but I'd rather have a pet dog.

Love the quote, I need to remember that.

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Scotch and soda is one of DH's favourite drinks, light on the soda please.

The wine sounds  good too.

Thanks in advance for all the wonderful pictures of today's port that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone.

It's raining, so Bertie only had a short walk, we'll go out again when the rain stops.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I haven't thought of Pet Rocks for a long time.  I like cheese pizza, try not to be late, and salute charities.  The meal sounds nice and I love the Coolidge quote.  Port Lincoln is another port I don't know.

Today’s care list:

RIP Willard Scott
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC and Lake Tahoe) wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
New Zealand terrorist attack victims
JAM37 DH fighting Covid but conuing to show improvement
Vict0riann DD awaiting Covid test results
Allen (Seasick Sailor DH) awaiting biopsoy results
Paws crossing Rainbow Bridge
durangoscots recovering from difficult melanoma surgery
From the rotation:
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
6 days for dfish
Getaway for segarsmoker
Tioga Cruiser on a road trip
Overhead Fred back at cottage
Mamaofami visit from Grandson
Promising report on Tana’s PT session–baby steps but in the right direction
Ger77's visit with old friends
Vict0riann checked in for Eurodam
Ancient Wanderer headed for Alaska
Cruising-along DD and DSIL heading close to home
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  Nice collection of days today.  The only thing that we have planned is church at 8 so we better not be late for that.  Cheese pizza sounds like a nice lunch.  There is such a need for sincere charity in the world.  Pet rocks, remember them?  Great quote today good advice too. Nice meal suggestion.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today and cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event today!

• Like 25

Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes that I know will follow.

Charity is needed in all forms around the world 🌍. Thin crust cheese pizza is like a savory pastry. The girls next door occasionally show us their painted pet rocks. If I am not at least 10 minutes early, I am late.

Love the quote...it is good advice.

Looking forward to the meal recipe. 

DH is still sleeping which is a good thing.

I look forward to pictures and hearing how everyone is doing today.

Prayers and praises for those on our lists.

• Like 27

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

Great combination of days.  I thought the days of pet rocks was long gone!  Nice to have an International Day of Charity but really, it should be practiced every day.  I hate being late and think being late is inconsiderate but I’m sure we have all had some people in their lives who were perpetually late 😉 

53BE9B91-4644-44EB-A682-DAF03FBA21E7.jpeg.9d919e7c0d44fa36b825fe949a1759e4.jpeg

Love that Coolidge quote. The meal suggestion sounds like a good one.  Look forward to the description.  Betting the wine today is a good one as well since it’s a Rioja. 😉 

A lot of my friends are decluttering closets, etc.  I decided it was time I started but, so far I haven’t gotten too far.  I guess I need to use a different method 😉 

1C24D020-DC47-47FE-954C-39790FE97AEA.thumb.jpeg.1935628f708fe8604d8d08b00da10d3f.jpeg

It looks like it’s going to be another cool one today 😔 Going to have to dress warmer if I am going to get work done outside.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

ECE8A28A-ADEC-4288-AF2A-300F310EA56F.jpeg.61aa8a70a6bc0ba84e5ad7f027f1dab3.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 40
  • Haha 3

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

I hate being late but now that I'm reitired I don't have to worry about it.

I am all for international charity. Understanding that we are all brothers and sisters goes a long way in preventing conflict.

The drink is good but the song is even better. It ws one of the first songs I learned on the guitar.

The meal sounds interesting. I want to see the recipe.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 23

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Apparently by sleeping in until 5:30 breakfast was served late today.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds but I’ll hold judgment until I see @dfishrecipe and pictures.  Yesterday I took advantage of the nice weather and did some yard work.  Since I’m not nearly as done as I like I hope to go back outside and get more done.

image.thumb.png.d134a591deeefbfea68cca6e40e32d3e.png

• Like 20
  • Haha 11

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

It is 68°F and sunny here today.

We have some rocks in our garden but not a specific pet rock.

We contribute regularly to cancer research.

This cheese pizza picture was at a  pre-cruise restaurant in Southampton.

I try not to be late for anything and usually I am about 15 minutes early for appointments.

Nice wine and meal of the day.

Today's quote is interesting because there are things I wish I had said but I always avoid saying things that might come back and hurt me.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them and for everyone affected by storm Ida.

I hope everyone has a nice Labour day holiday weekend.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210905_123946.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 30

Good Morning everyone, and thanks Rich for the Daily Report and thanks Roy for the Cares Report.

Speaking of Cheese Pizza, I had one of the best ever in Vik, Iceland this year for lunch. We stopped at Halldorskoffi Cafe located in the Bryderbud historic building. It also served as the Visitor Center.  From the rather extensive menu I chose the "Lodmunder og Brassi (The Settler's Cheese Pizza) which was made with four Icelandic cheeses and red currant jam on the side. A very rich tasting sweet and savory pizza which I never would have thought of. Having grown up in Chicago, I really enjoy a good pizza. Deep Dish is okay but give me a thin crust cut in squares any day! Now I can add this version of delicious pizza.

I'll  take my Scotch on the Rocks, thankyou.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 30

Good morning.  I am never late, show up very early and sit and wait for the correct time.  Love Cheese Pizza, my favorite.  Give to our favorite charity monthly.  LOLat the pet rock day.  I remember when they were first popular.  Interesting Coolidge quote.  Will wait for Debbie's recipe. 

My DM, who would have been 100 this year always said she was going to live to 100 so Willard Scott could honor her on TV.  RIP Willard.

Hugs, prayers, and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Scotch and Soda:

The proper way to drink Scotch is with a splash of water to awaken the whisky's flavor and smooth the bite of the alcohol. Or so they say in Scotland. But not all of us have the constitution for that. Thank god, then, that the highball is making a comeback. What, exactly, sets it apart from a plain old whisky soda? Good scotch, good soda, and attention to bubbles.
As Masahiro Urushido, head bartender at Katana Kitten, a Japanese-American bar in New York, told us last year, mixing a highball cocktail like a scotch and soda requires care. He makes them by filling a tall, narrow-mouthed glass with ice, adding the whisky, then holding the glass at an angle and slowly pouring in the soda. He doesn't stir. He does garnish with a lemon twist. And he makes sure to chill his whisky, his soda, and his highball glass in the freezer before using them.
Pick the scotch of your choosing—to each their own with something as varying as scotch flavors—and grab some little bottles of quality club soda, as those have the best fizz. Don't get lazy with the glassware: That special highball glass goes a long way to preserving bubbles. Then, enjoy your simple, refined scotch and soda.
2 oz. scotch whisky
4 oz. club soda
Directions

Fill a tall, narrow glass with ice. Pour the scotch over the ice.
Slowly add the club soda, holding the glass at an angle. Do not stir. Garnish with a lemon twist.

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 7.50.36 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.

It looks a bit gloomy out this morning, but we do need the rain, so I guess that is ok.  It is supposed to clear up later this afternoon.   I have nothing planned today so can't be late for anything.  No pet rocks here, not a fan of cheese pizza.  So, I have to go for charity, which is a good thing as long as we don't attach too many strings to it.  

Today's meal is an interesting one.  The marinade in vinegar helps tenderize the meat a bit more.  If you're not a fan of chicken thighs, I am sure you can substitute chicken breasts.   

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/254359/brazilian-chicken-a-mineira/

986855238_BrazilianChicken.jpg.f3edb724257573e0536a09940c334a24.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  I was already late for taking Bindi out this morning, since I started a load of laundry. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyite family. Great seeing you Gerry @ger_77, beautiful sunset. @Vict0riann, great news on your DD test results!

A cool and very foggy morning here. I had to towel dry Bindi after our walk - that is how thick the fog was! Had a wonderful meal last night. Everyone enjoyed the bread, but all agreed it was sweeter than they remembered. So I will try the king Arthur.com variation that replaces the golden syrup with a combination of honey and molasses.  I also discovered an amazing Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand last night. I will share it as an alternative to today’s red wine, for our non- red wine drinkers. It was that good!

It was so gorgeous here yesterday that Bindi and I spent a lot of time walking, so I never made it out to the garden. Waiting to see if this fog burns off before deciding what I want to do. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Solar Viejo Rioja

This elusive, full bodied red has very good - excellent ratings, and outside of Europe has a decent price starting around $21. Europeans might be able to find this for as low as 9 Euros!

from wineduring.com

Protected by the cold winds of the Rioja Alavesa, in the foothills of the Sierra de Cantabria, and with the exceptional setting of the medieval village of Laguardia, the Solar Viejo wineries have been making wines with singular personality for more than 75 years with Rioja Designation of Origin.
The original winery was founded in one of the emblematic manors of Laguardia, within the walled enclosure of the villa. It was there that the first Solar Viejo was developed, the icon of the winery. The current facilities, built over 30 years ago, are in the vicinity of the town and preserve the essence of that original experience.
Vineyards that incorporate the expressiveness of a demanding land with excellent wine, a traditional production method and the incorporation of new technologies are the three pillars on which Solar Viejo is established, a benchmark for the oldest D.O. in Spain.

With Tempranillo and Graciano as main varietals, Solar Viejo incorporates the more refined techniques in all of its vineyards.
The convergence of tradition and new technologies allows us to produce modern wines with unique personality.

My alternative is Three Brooms SB from Marlborough, New Zealand.

5DBA80FC-788E-4E31-8F80-30BD29F260F6.jpeg.6c3b934aa32f13494aaa1e10fbf1c166.jpeg

All released vintages of this sustainable & vegan wine share the same very good - excellent reviews, and very reasonable prices. I found it for $12.89, and there were even cheaper prices on line. Fresh, citrus (lime) scented & tasting. Wonderful just sipping, and great with food. If you try it, hope you enjoy it as much as we did. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!  Another lovely day here.  Seeing the devastation on TV from Ida I send my thoughts and prayers to all who were affected by the storm.  Can you imagine if your home, everything you owned, and the entire town was destroyed too?  Where would you turn?  What would you do first?  Bless them all.🙏

I try to be early (or at least on time) no matter what.  Sometimes I feel like I'm late to read the Daily but I guess that doesn't count.  So my on time record holds!  Cheese pizza is okay but I'm a fan of toppings for the most part.  I won't turn it down though and you can cut it in any shape you want!😉  Charity is a good thing, and Pet Rocks sound like an inexpensive pet for those on a budget. 

The chicken dish today was unfamiliar to me.  Thanks to Debbie for coming through with the recipe and photos.  Let me just say, it looks interesting...

Prayers to all on the Care list today.  Cheers for the celebrations.  Thanks to Rich and Roy for the time they spend compiling them.

Our destinations today of Port Lincoln, Australia is another port in Australia our cruises have missed.  Looking forward to photos and discussion by those who enjoyed a stop there.  

• Like 26

8 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

5DBA80FC-788E-4E31-8F80-30BD29F260F6.jpeg.6c3b934aa32f13494aaa1e10fbf1c166.jpeg

All released vintages of this sustainable & vegan wine share the same very good - excellent reviews, and very reasonable prices. I found it for $12.89, and there were even cheaper prices on line. Fresh, citrus (lime) scented & tasting. Wonderful just sipping, and great with food. If you try it, hope you enjoy it as much as we did. 

Thanks for the alternative 👍. We had this wine once and really enjoyed it - if I spy it again you can believe I will be buying it 😉 🙂 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone from another bright and sunny day at the beach.

No signs of fall here yet. 

I am always on time, drives me crazy when people ( always the same) are late and we have to wait for them.

I do like cheese pizza, had some last nite.

The quote is very good. 

Have never been to todays port, but it is on our scheduled circumnavigation in 2022. Really hope it goes.  So hope to see pictures.

Today is a relax by/in the pool day.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 21

19 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@cat shepard

Where did you find the Three Brooms?  I checked Total Wine & ABC here in Central Florida with no luck 😔

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Everyone enjoyed the bread, but all agreed it was sweeter than they remembered. So I will try the king Arthur.com variation that replaces the golden syrup with a combination of honey and molasses.

Did you try the Geysir bread while you were there?

• Like 5

Blessed Sunday morning. Thanks to Rich, Roy and all who contribute to our Daily. 

We ended up having pizza delivery last night. But more than cheese, we added spinach and mushrooms. Tonight we have to make the pork rib eyes..

We have our favorite monthly charities, always try to be early, and someone left a pet rock near our front walk. I think it was a neighbors grand kids. We took them for rides on Elvis one night.

Our weather has been hot and humid. Sure wish we could have some of @kazu cooler air.. Today is scheduled to be 100, so I'm enjoying the morning weather outside now.

Nothing on tap for today except watch the golf tournament off and on. 

Take care, prayers, cheers, and blessings. 

image.png.aff4d1d2b6285903703981585fc26ed2.png

image.png.4bd84f58111b25172c3c5a77711fa717.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 11