Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

22 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm used to the software world where experienced beta testers get the test software for free.  Someone like @uktog should have gotten the inaugural cruise free because their comments will be worth more than the fare (if the cruise line plans to use them to improve the product...)

And that last phrase is the rub.  Will Explora be responsive to customer input, or will it be another Viking where the only valid opinion is that of the owner?

10 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

or will it be another Viking where the only valid opinion is that of the owner?

They seem to be doing something right - 10 ocean ships I think it is and sailing with good loadings. We’re on Neptune at the moment and there’s plenty of Viking faithful repeat customers on board 

I think he seems to have got the recipe pretty right - who knows if they’re profitable though? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

They seem to be doing something right - 10 ocean ships I think it is and sailing with good loadings. We’re on Neptune at the moment and there’s plenty of Viking faithful repeat customers on board 

I think he seems to have got the recipe pretty right - who knows if they’re profitable though? 

As we go on Viking six weeks after Explora we should be able to do a good comparison to them albeit we may not be looking at like for like.  Our first Viking was acceptable enough to have another, particularly because of how receptive they were to feedback onboard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bitob said:

I meet so many people on luxury lines who love Viking. But the more I read the less it seems luxury enough for us at this stage in our lives. Twenty years ago yes 

I will be careful here as I don't want to offend uktog who is very pleasant and leaving on Viking in a few weeks!

We did a 7 night Caribbean on Viking Sun which isn't necessarily the best test but it really wasn't for us.

The onboard atmosphere was like a mortuary but without the music ...

The main dining room was LOUD - I was "only" 55 at the time but if left both of us jittery - not a pleasant dining experience.

There were lots of design flaws on board which drove me particularly crazy as Sun was the fourth in a series - you would have thought that all of the issues would have been corrected.

The crowd on board was broken into two different camps - the "true believers" who had loved their Viking River voyages and those of us who had sailed on other lines. We were generally "I don't get it".

It is most definitely NOT luxury .... it's like Celebrity was at its inception. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I will be careful here as I don't want to offend uktog who is very pleasant and leaving on Viking in a few weeks!

We did a 7 night Caribbean on Viking Sun which isn't necessarily the best test but it really wasn't for us.

The onboard atmosphere was like a mortuary but without the music ...

The main dining room was LOUD - I was "only" 55 at the time but if left both of us jittery - not a pleasant dining experience.

There were lots of design flaws on board which drove me particularly crazy as Sun was the fourth in a series - you would have thought that all of the issues would have been corrected.

The crowd on board was broken into two different camps - the "true believers" who had loved their Viking River voyages and those of us who had sailed on other lines. We were generally "I don't get it".

It is most definitely NOT luxury .... it's like Celebrity was at its inception. 

That what I would sort of expect.  I have not rushed to book a Viking cruise.

We found Viking good but we were trying them on a special itinerary In Search of the Northern lights. To be honest we were so fixated on lights chasing off ship in the evenings we didn’t notice entertainment, Ed were also not putting the dining room under the microscope but will be this time. 
My “hunch” in hope is that we are going to find Explora in a league above Viking - I will tell you in September after we’ve done our Viking and of course the inaugural 

This is a little off the most recent discussion but just curious -- some time back in one of their webinars on youtube a rep from Explora said that there would be online ability prior to embarkation to select in cabin preferences -- liquor for mini-bar, pillow type, mattress comfort (they apparently have, according to him, adjustable beds) and also restaurant reservations.  We are embarking September 2 and have yet to see anything indicating that this can be done in advance.  Has anyone closer to embarkation than us had a different experience.  (I suspect that this is something that just isn't working yet but as sailing date approaches it has me sort of curious!)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, uktog said:

My “hunch” in hope is that we are going to find Explora in a league above Viking - I will tell you in September after we’ve done our Viking and of course the inaugural 

I think that they're going to pull out all the stops all the way through their first Caribbean season -  I'm pretty sure they're aware of MSC's reputation with agents and travelers and will want to prove the doubters wrong. They've invested billions in this enterprise - a few extra million to increase the "wow" factor will be pocket change.

But - applying logic to the cruise business doesn't always work!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daleandrews said:

This is a little off the most recent discussion but just curious -- some time back in one of their webinars on youtube a rep from Explora said that there would be online ability prior to embarkation to select in cabin preferences -- liquor for mini-bar, pillow type, mattress comfort (they apparently have, according to him, adjustable beds) and also restaurant reservations.  We are embarking September 2 and have yet to see anything indicating that this can be done in advance.  Has anyone closer to embarkation than us had a different experience.  (I suspect that this is something that just isn't working yet but as sailing date approaches it has me sort of curious!)

Nothing for 17/7 sailing. I believed most of these items were things we set up with our room host once we boarded but maybe I have that wrong. As far as I can see Anthology, Sakura and Marble Grill are bookable

The FAQ section on the website is a little vague on reservation process. I’m guessing on our cruise it will be let’s see what happens and by our Caribbean cruises later in the year it will be a clearer picture. 

17 hours ago, daleandrews said:

When we sailed in Yacht club with MSC they also asked us to personalize our preferences like the ones you are mentioning. It worked fine. Some things were missing the first days, like our champagne as preferred drink or our preferred newspaper . However the butler got everything corrected. 
I guess you can just tell the cabin attendant (or are we getting butlers with Explora) what you wish.

Ivi

There is some kind of sale on right now for new bookings on Explora 1. I just saw a post on a ‘social media’ page. I went to explorajourneys.com and there wasn’t anything there. I didn’t try a test booking to see if there are any deals. I’m booked out so I won’t be adding anything. 😀

• Like 1

Discovered some more positive information elsewhere.  This related to the onboard "lecturers" or luminaries as they call them.  Here is an example

David Allfrey, Brigadier and former CEO of The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo will be aboard this journey to Scotland (August 2023). He will be sharing his experience in the British military as well as of his 12 years as CEO of this fantastic spectacle. He will also accompany the Destination Experience to the Tattoo in Edinburgh’s famous castle.  

This is someone with outstanding pedigree.  I am hoping we get some equally illuminating speakers on the inaugural

• Like 1

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just keep in the back of everyone's mind. "The pleasure of expecting enjoyment is often greater than that of obtaining it. And the completion of almost every wish is found a disappointment." Samuel Johnson

Oh man - is that depressing.  True, but depressing.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:20 AM, uktog said:

Very encouraging to read this focus on training and very much setting out how they wish guests to experience Explora

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/ehl-hospitality-business-school-provide-training-exploras-shipboard-employees

Maybe it might filter down to whoever is designing their web page.  Seems like a ticking bomb. 

Hard to navigate and continues to display wrong information even after my TA phone them.

But then again I could wish that what they put in is true and my DW is 25 years younger.  🙂