Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

2 hours ago, dolphin1313 said:

Explora Journeys unveils culinary and beverage philosophy.  Here the link:

https://explorajourneys.com/us/en/press-and-media/press/explora-journeys-unveils-culinary-and-beverage-philosophy.html

You beat me to it!

I was surprised to see the 100 EUR "experience fee" for Anthology ... either you are or are not fully inclusive.  The fee is also quite high ... we'll see how this plays out.

Happy to see that many of the venues do have outdoor seating.

31 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

You beat me to it!

I was surprised to see the 100 EUR "experience fee" for Anthology ... either you are or are not fully inclusive.  The fee is also quite high ... we'll see how this plays out.

Happy to see that many of the venues do have outdoor seating.

Could you possibly signpost me to the 100 Euro fee you have highlighted, please ?

It now seems that there are only four inclusive ''formal'' restaurants, as well as the marketplace (akin to a buffet) and in-suite dining. A tad disappointing, much more limiting for us as we would not wish to pay such a very high fee for Anthology or pay to cook our own food !! To put into perspective, if the menus are sufficiently expansive, I am sure we will have no problem in our 14 days onboard. Not sure how it fits in with their marketing encouraging passengers to stay on for multiple voyages.

52 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

Could you possibly signpost me to the 100 Euro fee you have highlighted, please ?

It now seems that there are only four inclusive ''formal'' restaurants, as well as the marketplace (akin to a buffet) and in-suite dining. A tad disappointing, much more limiting for us as we would not wish to pay such a very high fee for Anthology or pay to cook our own food !! To put into perspective, if the menus are sufficiently expansive, I am sure we will have no problem in our 14 days onboard. Not sure how it fits in with their marketing encouraging passengers to stay on for multiple voyages.

Oooops.... just realized that the Press Release link was posted .... here's the actual web site.

https://explorajourneys.com/us/en/life-on-explora/dining.html

Just click on "Learn More" on Anthology.

I think that there's a fine selection of included dining .... 4 "specialty" type restaurants. Unlike Regent, there won't be a main restaurant with a rotating menu but Seabourn and Viking have done well with limited choices.

For the type of product that they're pushing, I'm just surprised by the fee. I think that Silversea charges for their chi-chi, foofiest restaurant but again - kinda' tacky for what you've paid. But then again, the size of the restaurant would make it almost impossible to offer even one complimentary meal per sailing.

I am most certain that I will NOT go hungry - four options + buffet are still pretty good!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail

On 8/11/2022 at 3:13 PM, Dr. Cocktail said:

Oooops.... just realized that the Press Release link was posted .... here's the actual web site.

https://explorajourneys.com/us/en/life-on-explora/dining.html

Just click on "Learn More" on Anthology.

I think that there's a fine selection of included dining .... 4 "specialty" type restaurants. Unlike Regent, there won't be a main restaurant with a rotating menu but Seabourn and Viking have done well with limited choices.

For the type of product that they're pushing, I'm just surprised by the fee. I think that Silversea charges for their chi-chi, foofiest restaurant but again - kinda' tacky for what you've paid. But then again, the size of the restaurant would make it almost impossible to offer even one complimentary meal per sailing.

I am most certain that I will NOT go hungry - four options + buffet are still pretty good!

Thanks for clarifying.

I think that Silversea charges $40 or thereabouts for their two additional charge restaurants. Rather less than 100 Euros !

I do think the devil is in the details when it comes to Anthology!  IMHO one should not pay anything extra for food on a luxury all-inclusive ship.  But if they are matching each course with a truly fine wine (selections that are far better than the normally included wines) than a 100 Euro pp fee might be reasonable.  To me, it would be completely dependent on the wine selections.   I do think one could argue that folks should be able to dine in Anthology for no additional fee if they have no interest in drinking wine or would be happy with included wines.

We enjoy cruising on Seabourn where there are no add-on costs to any of the dining venues.  However, Seabourn also has an expansive wine list and folks can choose to buy fine wines that cost anywhere from about $50 per bottle up to the stratosphere.   On our SB cruises nobody has ever tried to upsell us to the expensive wines, but we have sometimes purchased some better wines when DW and I dine in their Thomas Keller Grill.    

Hank

10 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Thanks for clarifying.

I think that Silversea charges $40 or thereabouts for their two additional charge restaurants. Rather less than 100 Euros !

They charge $60/pp for La Dame and $40/pp for the Japanese restaurant.

While the dining options absolutely look tempting and expansive, the question is what else will be offered. They offer several pools which on a Greenland/Iceland cruise (which we are booked on) is not something I intend to partake in, and even if it were a Caribbean cruise, I most likely wouldn't partake as I live in Fl with our own pool and hot tub. So the question still remains, what about entertainment, lectures or classes? 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 11:24 PM, Hlitner said:

I do think the devil is in the details when it comes to Anthology!  IMHO one should not pay anything extra for food on a luxury all-inclusive ship.  But if they are matching each course with a truly fine wine (selections that are far better than the normally included wines) than a 100 Euro pp fee might be reasonable.  To me, it would be completely dependent on the wine selections.   I do think one could argue that folks should be able to dine in Anthology for no additional fee if they have no interest in drinking wine or would be happy with included wines.

We enjoy cruising on Seabourn where there are no add-on costs to any of the dining venues.  However, Seabourn also has an expansive wine list and folks can choose to buy fine wines that cost anywhere from about $50 per bottle up to the stratosphere.   On our SB cruises nobody has ever tried to upsell us to the expensive wines, but we have sometimes purchased some better wines when DW and I dine in their Thomas Keller Grill.    

Hank

We are Crystal ''refugees'' and the policy on that line (and our experience) was exactly as you describe. Anthology will have to be sensationally better than the other offerings for us to be tempted.It's a lot of extra dosh !!

Also Crystal refugees" and I agree about not paying and that much to eat at a restaurant on a luxury line.  Crystal started charging $30 for alternate restaurants after first visit - in theory to keep demand down which who knows. 

I think it is wrong and if you aren't a fine wine person then why?  If no charge for the restaurant but charge for fine wine - then that would be OK to me

Edited by ctjon

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any concerns about the the payment in full option? 

From what I understand this will be a six star line, any chance someone can give me a hint of what the included champagne maybe? Being a former Crystal cruiser I prefer to remain comfortably numb. 

I for one prefer to sail on a line that is all inclusive..however a few dollars more for the specialty restaurant won't break the bank. 

13 hours ago, Lord Haw Haw said:

Does anyone have any concerns about the the payment in full option? 

From what I understand this will be a six star line, any chance someone can give me a hint of what the included champagne maybe? Being a former Crystal cruiser I prefer to remain comfortably numb. 

I for one prefer to sail on a line that is all inclusive..however a few dollars more for the specialty restaurant won't break the bank. 

I too am a former Crystal cruiser and after losing thousands as a result of Crystal's bankruptcy, I'm not about to pay in full until the final payment is due. I booked with the 25% deposit. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, uktog said:

Paying by credit card gives good protection for UK guests.  Hope it is the same elsewhere

Just be careful about how long that protection applies - AMEX is very good over a long term but Visa and MasterCard have strict timeframes for the advance booking protection - this has proven to be the case in the US and Australia when Crystal failed earlier this year 

I believe has stronger consumer protection however UK residents do pay for that through higher costs 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I believe has stronger consumer protection however UK residents do pay for that through higher costs 

True, however our protection continues to apply even if booking overseas and not in the UK. Worldwide protection, provided a UK credit card is used.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 12:21 PM, kool kruiser said:

We are Crystal ''refugees'' and the policy on that line (and our experience) was exactly as you describe. Anthology will have to be sensationally better than the other offerings for us to be tempted.It's a lot of extra dosh !!

I'm a bit slow to come back to this thread.... (Hi Colin!)

Don't forget Crystal always charged for the Vintage Room - which provided an upscale menu and included fine wine. Seems to me that Anthology is a version of that where you are not obliged to share a single large table. And, likely, it will feature on a regular / daily basis rather than just occasionally. As has been said, until the wines can be seen value cannot be judged.

Adrian

43 minutes ago, Noggins said:

I'm a bit slow to come back to this thread.... (Hi Colin!)

Don't forget Crystal always charged for the Vintage Room - which provided an upscale menu and included fine wine. Seems to me that Anthology is a version of that where you are not obliged to share a single large table. And, likely, it will feature on a regular / daily basis rather than just occasionally. As has been said, until the wines can be seen value cannot be judged.

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Fair comment. We never booked the Vintage Room dinner, as we were so so happy with the included five terrific evening dining venues.

Have you booked Explora ??

Keep well

Colin

It is good to hear the explanation of Anthology and the comparison to the Vintage Room. The food and wine in Vintage were simply superb (and a bargin) ; the lousy part was some of the boors who were also at the table.

We are booked on Explora and if we are able to have a table for two we will make sure to get a reservation.

19 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Hi Adrian

Fair comment. We never booked the Vintage Room dinner, as we were so so happy with the included five terrific evening dining venues.

Have you booked Explora ??

Keep well

Colin

No, we never made it to the Vintage Room either for the reasons you describe. 

Yes, we are booked on Explora for a Caribbean trip in Spring 2024. I see you will be ahead of us - we'll be looking out for your review! It all seems a long way off but the way time flies by it will soon come round.

Best to you both

Adrian

• 2 months later...