Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

There is a lot more information about their land offerings pre and post cruise.  They look high end.  For comparison I looked at the one being run in Scotland after disembarkation in Glasgow in early September.  If I was going to recommend a Scottish experience without reference to a budget, what they have put together is exactly what I would go for.  Very high quality not cookie cutter

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 3:09 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Spoke with 23 year veteran butler in the Yacht Club last week about Explora Journeys. MSC is treating hiring process as if entirely different cruise line. He would have to apply and start at the bottom and work his way up, no lateral employment opportunity.

Yes - MSC had worked very hard to make sure this is a completely separate "new" cruise line.

• Like 3

Had a good laugh lately when I noticed which "experiences" they offer at Zeebruges (close to where I live actually) - some of the excursions are quite creative, but the beautiful words don't really paint an accurate picture (looking herbs in nature reserve 't Zwin for instance and then cooking class, is likely to mean fighting off seagulls and pulling wellies out of the mud every ten steps).

Still - they are trying to be different and to go off the beaten path.

On 4/6/2023 at 4:00 AM, Belgian cruiser1 said:

but the beautiful words don't really paint an accurate picture

Had to laugh, as I suspected some of the descriptions for many of the excursions sound so absolutely almost too wonderful. If you've looked at the other Zeebruges experiences, is there one that does stand out to you? We are on the inaugural cruise and this will be the first port. We usually do on-our-own or private tours, but they've really put a lot into these descriptions to make them attractive, and unique. Thanks for your insights.

13 hours ago, mungojerrie said:

If you've looked at the other Zeebruges experiences, is there one that does stand out to you?

Well - if you've never been to this part of Europe, Bruges itself is a must see and an excursion that only lasts 6 hours will hardly scratch the surface of this medieval town. Chocolates or beer galore, but any excursion they organise will be focused on getting you into the shops they collaborate with, and that often means losing time you could better spend elsewhere in the city. If - like a lot of people - that is the one and only part of Belgium you've already seen, go out on your own and just take the tram that passes right outside the port and go to Ostend. This is the biggest town on the coast, with a nice mix of beaches, shops, architecture, musea, pubs and restaurants. With the tram you'll never be far away from anything - even the Atlantic wall bunker complex from WWI and WWII (some 5 kms past the city of Ostend) is easy to reach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure which thread to include this.   I checked my September booking for Explora I and my invoice has decreased by $1000 and likewise my balance due is 1K lower.  I haven't the faintest idea why this has happened, but I am certainly not complaining.  The listed fare for each passenger is now $500 lower.  A total WAG, but maybe the 1K difference has to with an extended journey credit just now being applied.  

49 minutes ago, Wheelhouse said:

Not sure which thread to include this.   I checked my September booking for Explora I and my invoice has decreased by $1000 and likewise my balance due is 1K lower.  I haven't the faintest idea why this has happened, but I am certainly not complaining.  The listed fare for each passenger is now $500 lower.  A total WAG, but maybe the 1K difference has to with an extended journey credit just now being applied.  

Interesting!

Where are you seeing the updated invoice?  I only have I info provided by my TA. 

1 hour ago, Wheelhouse said:

I just checked mine for the same sailing and it is still the same. Lucky you and might be a glitch.

21 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

Interesting!

Where are you seeing the updated invoice?  I only have I info provided by my TA. 

Now - after I made an account -  I can see ours for November on the website too....could not last time I tried.

18 minutes ago, Ljames23 said:

I just checked mine for the same sailing and it is still the same. Lucky you and might be a glitch.

I gave the wrong month for my cruise.  It is April 2024, not September (different line, different cruise). 

Try hitting on "details".  That's where mine shows the difference.  Could be a glitch, but I can pay the "full balance" at the lower amount.  

Tanya Roberts known to many as an opera trained cruise director on Azamara has announced she is joining Explora Journey as an Experience Manager (the name they are using for Cruise Director)

• Like 4

9 hours ago, uktog said:

Tanya Roberts known to many as an opera trained cruise director on Azamara has announced she is joining Explora Journey as an Experience Manager (the name they are using for Cruise Director)

This sounds good for Explora. I hope Azamara manages to keep its good people. Several have left for other cruise lines.

Ivi

Did everyone note that Explora has added their first resident chef (Chef Mauro Uliassi) for the sailings through September 25?  

https://porthole.com/explora-journeys-partners-with-chef-mauro-uliassi-aboard-explora-i/

Per the press release the price of dining from his menu in Anthology will now be $210 USD per person for the "tasting menu" and $82 USD per person for wine pairing.  I don't know how this works, i.e., for the tasting menu with wine is the price $292 ($210 plus $82) per person?  In any event it's a pretty steep increase from the $100 per person Anthology price previously listed on Explora's website. I wonder if they will secure enough dining patrons at that rate -- seems to be a pretty steep add-on.  

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, daleandrews said:

Did everyone note that Explora has added their first resident chef (Chef Mauro Uliassi) for the sailings through September 25?  

https://porthole.com/explora-journeys-partners-with-chef-mauro-uliassi-aboard-explora-i/

Per the press release the price of dining from his menu in Anthology will now be $210 USD per person for the "tasting menu" and $82 USD per person for wine pairing.  I don't know how this works, i.e., for the tasting menu with wine is the price $292 ($210 plus $82) per person?  In any event it's a pretty steep increase from the $100 per person Anthology price previously listed on Explora's website. I wonder if they will secure enough dining patrons at that rate -- seems to be a pretty steep add-on.  

hmm….will be watching to see how this goes!

We have a slightly different perspective. In general, having paid a premium price for a luxury cruise on an inclusive basis, our starting point is that we do not wish to pay extra for a special dining venue. Full disclosure, we are (old) Crystal fans and it was possible to dine in all the restaurants, bar an occasional special exclusive 12 person wine pairing option, with no extra charge. The fee for Anthology is mouth-wateringly high and definitely not for us. I know this may sound mean but I hope the uptake is very poor, forcing the line to review.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

We have a slightly different perspective. In general, having paid a premium price for a luxury cruise on an inclusive basis, our starting point is that we do not wish to pay extra for a special dining venue. Full disclosure, we are (old) Crystal fans and it was possible to dine in all the restaurants, bar an occasional special exclusive 12 person wine pairing option, with no extra charge. The fee for Anthology is mouth-wateringly high and definitely not for us. I know this may sound mean but I hope the uptake is very poor, forcing the line to review.

New Crystal has said it is now charging $300 per person for the Vintage Room including both the wine and food. So comparable price.