US Border - Will it open to Canadians on Sept 21???

Tomchick1970

If the rise in cases on both sides of the border continue I would hazard to guess the land border will remain closed. Then again I have not seen anything that would change that. Maybe the border towns can push this in Washington.

• Like 3

A corresponding issue is what will the policy be on mixed vaccines, specially the AstraZeneca/mRNA combination. This issue (CDC, FDA) not recognizing this mix has been swept under the carpet in many provinces because it only mainly effects cruisers. When the land border opens and Canadians with mixed vaccines are refused entry, me thinks the sh.. will hit the fan.

• Like 4

I think they will wait until after our election.

We haven't heard anything so it will be extended until Oct 21st.

I can't see the land border being different in terms of rules for vaccinated/unvaccinated. Currently the U.S. doesn't care if you are vaccinatd when you fly in. You just need an antigen test.

If they open the LAND borders with specific rules for vaccinated/unvaccinated that will create even more issues. Can you imagine the optics of the U.S. letting in unvaccinated Canadians fly in an enclosed space (plane) but will only let vaccinated Canadians to drive across a line in their own car 🙂

• Like 4

IMO the border reopening will have nothing to do with case counts or vaccination levels. From the beginning it made no sense to close the land crossings but keep air open. It also made no sense that we allowed

land entry for US citizens while the US kept their side of the crossings shut. There is something else (probably political) keeping the US from reopening the land crossings. It will happen when it happens however since logic is not being followed it's impossible to say when.

1 hour ago, Jcol5786 said:

There is something else (probably political) keeping the US from reopening the land crossings. 

My sentiments exactly. I truly believe there is way more to this governmental behaviour besides "you know who et el".

Keep your eyes on the international news, esp the last three weeks.

I want out of here asap, but maybe staying put in Canada right now is the safest choice????????

4 hours ago, Jcol5786 said:

IMO the border reopening will have nothing to do with case counts or vaccination levels. From the beginning it made no sense to close the land crossings but keep air open. It also made no sense that we allowed

land entry for US citizens while the US kept their side of the crossings shut. There is something else (probably political) keeping the US from reopening the land crossings. It will happen when it happens however since logic is not being followed it's impossible to say when.

It makes sense to allow entry by air but not land. In non pandemic years several tens of millions private land border crossings were made from Canada. Air crossings are a small fraction of land crossings. Statistically the threat is greater with land crossings. 

Each country has to make decisions based on what it believes is best for its citizens. To suggest that the US or Canada is not being logical because the criteria used to decide on border crossings does not coincide with your views is the height of hubris.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, broberts said:

Each country has to make decisions based on what it believes is best for its citizens. To suggest that the US or Canada is not being logical because the criteria used to decide on border crossings does not coincide with your views is the height of hubris.

As I stated I see no logic in the decisions that both governments have made concerning both land and air entry points. I did not share my thoughts on what I feel should happen. I simply indicated that it is impossible to predict when the US will open their border to land entry for Canadians.

On a second note I am continually amazed how quickly some people on the CC boards engage in negative posts and personal attacks. broberts - I find your height of hubris statement completely uncalled for. I don't know you and you don't know me. Such a negative generalization is not constructive at all. I will not engage with you on this or any future topics.

• Like 3

On 9/16/2021 at 7:13 PM, K_e_short said:

I think they will wait until after our election.

We haven't heard anything so it will be extended until Oct 21st.

I can't see the land border being different in terms of rules for vaccinated/unvaccinated. Currently the U.S. doesn't care if you are vaccinatd when you fly in. You just need an antigen test.

If they open the LAND borders with specific rules for vaccinated/unvaccinated that will create even more issues. Can you imagine the optics of the U.S. letting in unvaccinated Canadians fly in an enclosed space (plane) but will only let vaccinated Canadians to drive across a line in their own car 🙂

Canada made air travelers stay at a hotel yet land crossers just went straight home to quarantine. I suppose the US could do the same.

• Like 1

If Americans open the land border, to Vaccinated Canadians, for non essential  travel. What about Cruisers?  Currently, Canadians can't disembark in America, if they have cruised to various European ports, within the previous 14 days. Are these 2 laws separate? Does any one know?

Could the land border open and the port border stay closed.

4 minutes ago, salt water in my veins said:

If Americans open the land border, to Vaccinated Canadians, for non essential  travel. What about Cruisers?  Currently, Canadians can't disembark in America, if they have cruised to various European ports, within the previous 14 days. Are these 2 laws separate? Does any one know?

Could the land border open and the port border stay closed.

A Canadian can not enter the US by land, sea or air currently having visited a Schengen country within the past 14 days. A Canadian who has enjoyed a cruise or a land holiday and has visited one or more of the Schengen countries within those 14 days, and has since flown back to Canada, can not turn around and fly down to the US. When the broader border restrictions with respect to entering by land are lifted, the same prohibition with respect to visitors to Schengen countries will continue to apply. 

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

A Canadian can not enter the US by land, sea or air currently having visited a Schengen country within the past 14 days. A Canadian who has enjoyed a cruise or a land holiday and has visited one or more of the Schengen countries within those 14 days, and has since flown back to Canada, can not turn around and fly down to the US. When the broader border restrictions with respect to entering by land are lifted, the same prohibition with respect to visitors to Schengen countries will continue to apply. 

Yes I expect our transatlantic in dec will be cancelled, but still surprised ncl allowed us to book, but perhaps they were expecting it to change?  Another question slightly changed (but connected) if we were to add the following cruise (make it a b2b) and not get off in Miami) which would complete our 14 days, would that work?

4 minutes ago, Hadacareer said:

Yes I expect our transatlantic in dec will be cancelled, but still surprised ncl allowed us to book, but perhaps they were expecting it to change?  Another question slightly changed (but connected) if we were to add the following cruise (make it a b2b) and not get off in Miami) which would complete our 14 days, would that work?

No.  Canadians cannot 'enter' the US if they've been to a Schengen country within the past 14 days.  Whether you get off the ship (or plane or car) is irrelevant.... you still need to 'enter' the US.