The Daily for Thursday September 23, 2021

richwmn

2 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Happy Thursday.  I love to play checkers.  Dogs in politics?  And UK fitness day, congratulations.

Unique quote.  I'll pass on the meal.  Going to be another hot humid day.  Will enjoy our cart ride and then the pool.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Good luck with your surgery @grapau27.

Dacquiri:

Daiquiri is a family of cocktails whose main ingredients are rum, citrus juice, and sugar or other sweetener. The daiquiri is one of the six basic drinks listed in David A. Embury's classic The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks, which also lists some variations. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Rum
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz White rum, 1 oz Lime juice, 1/2 oz Simple syrup
Preparation: Pour all ingredients into shaker with ice cubes. Shake well. Strain in chilled cocktail glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Half a lime slice
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 7.24.13 AM.png

Thank you summer slope for your kind words and description of this drink.

Graham.

• Like 10

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Good luck, Graham, with your eye surgery today.

As a kid, my Irish grandmother made the best French Toast. But a few years ago (pre-pandemic) I was on Amtrak's Capital Limited traveling to see family in Chicago. The Railroad French Toast in the dining car was a close second!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  It’s a pass on the meal suggestion but two thumbs up on the drink of the day, especially if it’s on a dam ship.  Today’s quote is a good one.  My company announced that we are working at home for the rest of the year.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 25

2 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Good Morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, and thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebrations Report. And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Good luck, Graham, with your eye surgery today.

As a kid, my Irish grandmother made the best French Toast. But a few years ago (pre-pandemic) I was on Amtrak's Capital Limited traveling to see family in Chicago. The Railroad French Toast in the dining car was a close second!

Thank you Heartgrove.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Friends.  Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

@Mr. BostonI also pictured a dog in black velvet.  It hasn't been too long since I played checkers. 

The quote hits home and is a good reminder.

A portobello burger with onion jam sounds delicious.

It is 51 degrees here and it looks like there must be a breeze out. But I do think we are done with rain for at least a few days.

@grapau27thinking of you and praying surgery goes smoothly.

@Overhead Fred and @lindaler Welcome home.

DH and I will attempt to accomplish a couple more small projects, or parts of large projects today. We talked yesterday and he has accepted that our goal cannot just be pushed 7 weeks out. (That is the number of weeks no projects were worked on due to Covid.) Due to the need for building strength and stamina back he has set the new goal to April/May.  We also had to consider that we may need to go to Florida next week and that we will be gone most of December, (12 night on BHB, then staying with family through Christmas), and also about a week in February, (for a short cruise).

@kazuthank you for sharing the quote tip and any future tips.

Prayers and Cheers for those on our lists.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Morning Dailyite family! Thank you Rich and Roy for taking great care of the Daily.

A busy day here this morning. Already on page 2! Love the quote, and it’s an important message for everyone. 

It was downright cool this morning with the breeze! I almost turned back for a long sleeved shirt, but toughed it out. Today I will schedule the site inspection needed to finalize the roof replacement quote. Not fun, but it will be great to get this over with. 

Back to the gym for some bike and machines. Tonight I am making my Summer version of my wheat berry salad, and if I add some chopped turkey breast, it will be complete. Off to read all of the posts that preceded mine. Prayers heading your way @grapau27 , hope all goes smoothly. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Pazo de Señorans Albariño Rias Baixas 2016
This Spanish unoaked white sounds amazing. It has excellent reviews, and a decent price. I found a low price of $21.49 online. 

Winemaker Notes

#35 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

On the palate, there is medium-high intensity combined with a balance of acidity which gives the wine great structure that improves in the glass.

WS91 Wine Spectator: This big white is round and polished, with good weight and solid acidity behind the pear, blanched almond and white tea flavors. Ginger and briny notes give this a savory character. A muscular style. Drink now through 2022. 
RP91 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: It's bottled unoaked and without malolactic after four months in contact with the lees. The nose is clean, elegant and subtle, mixing aromas of white flowers with sensations of freshly cut grass, citric hints and a balsamic touch. The palate has pungent flavors, good depth—vertical and delineated—with some minerality and a dry finish. A very good textbook Salnés.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, JAM37 said:

Good morning, Friends.  Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

@Mr. BostonI also pictured a dog in black velvet.  It hasn't been too long since I played checkers. 

The quote hits home and is a good reminder.

A portobello burger with onion jam sounds delicious.

It is 51 degrees here and it looks like there must be a breeze out. But I do think we are done with rain for at least a few days.

@grapau27thinking of you and praying surgery goes smoothly.

@Overhead Fred and @lindaler Welcome home.

DH and I will attempt to accomplish a couple more small projects, or parts of large projects today. We talked yesterday and he has accepted that our goal cannot just be pushed 7 weeks out. (That is the number of weeks no projects were worked on due to Covid.) Due to the need for building strength and stamina back he has set the new goal to April/May.  We also had to consider that we may need to go to Florida next week and that we will be gone most of December, (12 night on BHB, then staying with family through Christmas), and also about a week in February, (for a short cruise).

@kazuthank you for sharing the quote tip and any future tips.

Prayers and Cheers for those on our lists.

Thank you so much.

Best wishes for your husband's recovery and your future holidays.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Morning Dailyite family! Thank you Rich and Roy for taking great care of the Daily.

A busy day here this morning. Already on page 2! Love the quote, and it’s an important message for everyone. 

It was downright cool this morning with the breeze! I almost turned back for a long sleeved shirt, but touched it out. Today I will schedule the site inspection needed to finalize the roof replacement quote. Not fun, but it will be great to get this over with. 

Back to the gym for some bike and machines. Tonight I am making my Summer version of my wheat berry salad, and if I add some chopped turkey breast, it will be complete. Off to read all of the posts that preceded mine. Prayers heading your way @grapau27 , hope all goes smoothly. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Pazo de Señorans Albariño Rias Baixas 2016
This Spanish unoaked white sounds amazing. It has excellent reviews, and a decent price. I found a low price of $21.49 online. 

Winemaker Notes

#35 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

On the palate, there is medium-high intensity combined with a balance of acidity which gives the wine great structure that improves in the glass.

WS91 Wine Spectator: This big white is round and polished, with good weight and solid acidity behind the pear, blanched almond and white tea flavors. Ginger and briny notes give this a savory character. A muscular style. Drink now through 2022. 
RP91 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: It's bottled unoaked and without malolactic after four months in contact with the lees. The nose is clean, elegant and subtle, mixing aromas of white flowers with sensations of freshly cut grass, citric hints and a balsamic touch. The palate has pungent flavors, good depth—vertical and delineated—with some minerality and a dry finish. A very good textbook Salnés.

Thank you cat Shepard and best wishes for your roof works and your gym work.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.   

Wow, I slept in this morning.  I couldn't get to sleep last night.  I must have had excess energy from my marathon sleep the night before.  Nothing too exciting on the agenda today.  I am going back to the pool.   The gym I go to is now requiring masks at all times except when in the pool.   They also said that if people gave them a hard time over the policy, they would shut down.   

Today's meal is a healthy one.   It is a feature for Meatless Mondays.   Portobellos are nice and meaty and grill up well.  Because of their size they are very versatile and can even be used as an individual pizza base by those cutting carbs.   You can go simple by just marinating them and then grilling or you can get fancy and stuff them.   A good simple marinate and grill guide:  https://www.wellplated.com/grilled-portobello-mushrooms/

How-to-Cook-a-Portobello-Mushroom-on-the-Grill-600x720.jpg.512fac4f7d1209870653753a87161793.jpg

Then to make the onion jam and assemble the burger:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/grilled-portobello-burger-with-onion-jam-recipe-1928135

1302139708_GrilledPortobelloBurgerwithOnionJam.jpeg.1fadf42f849b40f411b97ad5f37bca30.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Thursday smile 🙂 

Fun collection of days.  I was thinking of Checkers the dog as opposed to the game.  Sure fits with Dogs in Politics Day 😄  I would be willing to bet some dogs would be better than some politicians we have 😉 

957AE23B-78F1-4AB4-92DD-12805153E54C.jpeg.8d20c749a885efdfe2614c2e68170dc6.jpeg

I love that quote by Fierstein.  Words to live by!

The meal is intriguing.  Never had onion jam so I’ll wait for Debbie’s recipe - it should go well with the mushroom?  Maybe we’ll have this tonight?

31D4E2A7-7561-44EA-9CF8-D879AEE4AD02.jpeg.bf91efcefbee6e0afa832b4cbdbb07f4.jpeg

@JAM37you and your husband are wise to have him slowly build up his stamina and move the goal post for the jobs 😉 

@grapau27good luck with your cataract procedure today.

Busy day yesterday, we got our big shed completely cleaned out and gifted a bunch of stuff we no longer use.  And our boards that had to be replaced this spring in the deck have their first coat of stain.  I set up a blockade for the dogs so they don’t go on the stained boards and so far, so good 🤞 

A couple more begonias.  

69AC23AB-2F60-43EA-BC62-9AA7A2144379.thumb.jpeg.d122dd40cf2ca9a48e7f71a60d352d8f.jpeg

265447A6-3939-416E-8561-9D3F9FFFE102.thumb.jpeg.6d70b190a22353756a876bd3b6bcce2b.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone !!!!!!

116BC240-C60E-4D25-9FDA-B7C8B997E652.jpeg.d801c36efb38de6a06eb6e066a30a900.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

Thank you so much Roy for your dedication in compiling care list's and celebrations and your kind mention of my cataract op in a few hours time.

I had to Google to find Checkers day and American dog day are linked with Mr Nixon and there always being a dog in the White House.

National fitness day is an event we should all try to do every day for our own health.

An excellent quote for today and one we should all adhere too.

Interesting food and drink of the day.

I am looking forward to seeing photos of today's port as we have never been there.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a pleasant and safe day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210923_114957.jpg

Good luck with today's procedure. Beautiful dog.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone am really  I am getting annoyed at CC. I usually have my coffee in a comfy chair in my family room and read through this thread and reply, but no go on my ipad anymore so I have to move into the bedroom and use my desktop. What's up with that?

We're expecting lots of rain in New Jersey today along with flash floods. Last time a storm came through, 96 homes down the street from me were flooded out. None of the homes around here have basements, so the water really does a number when it wants to.

Yesterday I managed to organize lots of the papers that were accumulating on my des, bed, and dresser. Still more to go today.

The news about Sam is really good. His warafin levels are up where they should be, he made eggs in the rehab's kitchen yesterday  and he says he's learning how to balance a tray so he can use the brand new Bar b q we bought right before he got sick. His ambitions are mighty and that motivation is helping him. His car is just sitting in the garage and due for inspection, but I can't get near the driver's seat because the kid's put a box spring and some other things against the wall in the garage. Since the car isn't going anywhere it will have to wait a while.

The info about the booster shots is so confusing. Since I got J and J in June, I figure I can wait till they come out with some advise on that.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 31

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  Dogs in Politics will be popular here.  I haven't played checkers for many years.  National Fitness Day should be universal and not just in the UK.  I will celebrate this with my Cardio Rehab today.  @grapau27 should now be about 2 hours away from his procedure.  I love the quote.  Have not been to Dravenai Island.  I like the meal.  My alternative is Railroad French Toast as served on the Empire Builder the day I arrived in Seattle (September 23, 2017) to board MS Oosterdam.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/frenchtoast.jpg

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer but responding VERY well
StLouisSal’s friend
Lady Hudson’s BIL in rehab
Grapau27 cataract surgery
Sam in rehab an hour away from home and Mamaofami insurance hassles
From the rotation:
Me awaiting PET test results
HAL Sailor DH health issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
1 day forCruising-along (Perhaps this should be Bon Voyage since when tomorrow's daily arrives boarding should be starting)
HAL4NOWat sea
Welcome home Overhead Fred
NextOne helping with family move
Welcome home Lindaler
Seasick Sailor feeling better after thrush
Icand9223 away on river cruise
Booster for Quartzite Cruiser
SusieKislandGirl in Colorado with grandsons
full range of motion for cat shepard
Welcome home Dfish
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy, thank you for keeping Sam on the care list. Hopefully you can take him off soon.

• Like 16

Good morning to you  my fellow  Dailyites.It is a cloudy morning  here with the promise of rain .Flash flooding  is also a possibility. Yikes. Let's  hope the forecast  is  wrong.

DH took a picture once while in California  of Checker's grave. One of the many quirky things to love about him. 

The vegetarian  side of the family would love this recipe.Thanks Debbie @dfish.

Fred the faithful  cockapoo  would easily rule any country. He keeps us in line.

20200726_172150.jpg

• Like 27
  • Haha 2

Good morning!  Yay, the sun is out today!  But right on schedule for fall yesterday, a cold front pushed through and it was 52F and breezy when we walked out the door at 6:30 to walk to the gym today.  Brrr!  So on UK Fitness Day we have already gotten our 2.5 mile walk and weight machines accomplished this morning.  I know our U.K. friends won't mind if other countries get their fitness in as well.  Dogs in politics sounds like an improvement to me!  Checkers is a fun game but one we never play anymore.  Quite a quote today.  The grilled portobello mushroom burger with onion jam won't be on our table.  DH can't eat anything other than button mushrooms due to an allergy.  

Thanks @richwmnfor today's Daily and the work involved in producing it.  Also @rafinmdthank you for the list keeping.  I'm pleased the Care list is small but still concerning so prayers for everyone on it.  So many happy things to cheer about on the Celebration list!  Best wishes to all involved.

I haven't been to Dravuni Island, Fiji yet but would like to.  Thanks for the photos posted so far and for any others we see today.

Since we haven't been out lately it's time to stock our fridge and pantry so will be doing that later.  Hope all of you have a safe and pleasant day.

• Like 24

Good morning, All.  We're rested up after our Alaska cruise.  Cautionary tale:  We are used to much longer cruises, so behaved like real rookie cruisers for our one week -- way too much food and drink.  DH came home with off-the-charts blood pressure and he was very light-headed.  He takes BP medication so this was alarming.  None of us are getting any younger here.  Gotta watch it!

Anyhow, the cruise was great, we've recovered, and I'm hopelessly behind on Daily events.  But I do send hearty best wishes today for a successful surgery for @grapau27Graham.  Hope all goes well, Graham.

We used to make the portobello mushroom sandwiches, but somehow got out of the habit.   They're good!  Nice reminder to make that delicious veggie dinner.

@Sharon in AZ, we finally received official word of our itinerary change for California coast.  No surprise there, right?!  Love to hear from you to arrange a meet-up!  Email seaspray360 at post dot com

Have a great day, Everyone!  It's so nice that fall is here!  😊  🍁  🍂

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I haven't played checkers in a very long time; I think we'll have to introduce the DGS to the game when we get together.  Dogs in politics is an interesting scenario, as they like to please everyone.  Cats, on the other hand .  .  .    In honour of UK National Fitness day, I think I'll go for a walk around the block.

After all we did yesterday, late in the afternoon we realized our fountain was down to a trickle and it kept tripping the GFI plug.  DH spent a couple of hours taking things apart, checking wiring, and re-plugging things in.  He got everything working again, but is still uncertain as to what really happened.  All we know is that the northern robins are stopping by, using the top part of the fountain as their personal spa on their way south.

It's a beautiful fall day here on the "frozen tundra" with temperatures going up to about 16C (60F); at this time of year we can fluctuate anywhere between 0 and 28 in a matter of days, so we take each one as it comes.  Frankly, we'd love some of the rain that has been happening in Florida and Georgia, as it sounds like you've had way too much.   We haven't been to today's port, so look forward to more photos of that beautiful part of the world.

Today I'm heading out for lunch with a friend; I'll pick up sandwiches and drinks from a deli and we'll meet in a park on her lunch break.  It's such a beautiful time of year, we're going to enjoy the outdoors as long as we can.

I'm not a fan of today's menu suggestion; it's the texture, not the flavour.  If I'm having a hamburger, I want it to feel like hamburger, not like liver.  LOL  I love Roy's alternate, and realized we haven't had French toast in a very long time, so I've taken some bacon out of the freezer and we'll be having breakfast for dinner tonight.  And wine.

@JAM37 so glad you and DH had "the talk" and came to the understanding that the projects can wait until his health has been restored.  Sometimes men think they're  actually Superman in disguise, and it hurts to realize they're not.

@mamaofami happy to hear Sam is making great progress.

@grapau27wishing you the best of luck today with your procedure.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to cheer on all who are on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wear your masks, wash your hands, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

Fritz and I are in our favorite chair cuddled under an afghan because it’s only 49 degrees outside this morning 😳.

I vote for dogs in politics. In fact Fritz threw his hat in the ring during the last election and in the interest of diversity promised to choose a cat as his vice-president. He actually had quite a few votes committed. Checkers might have been a more honest president than Richard “I am not a crook” Nixon. As a game, checkers was not a favorite. Congrats to the UK for recognizing the importance of fitness. Love the Fierstein quote.

My kids would love today’s entree;  I would put the onion jam on a nice steakburger 😉. I love a daiquiri, I remember my dad ordering one at a restaurant in Florida back in the 50’s; he’d never had one and was curious. Will be interested in the wine description. Have never been to Fiji, bet the pictures from the lucky ones who’ve been there will be gorgeous.

Prayers for all on our care and concern list (thinking about you @grapau27this morning) 🙏. And celebrating with everyone today 🍷.

With theaters and our symphony reopening, I have planned a strenuous weekend! Friday night is a play by our local West End players (a semi-professional theatre group); the director is a friend of a friend. Saturday is “Jersey Boys” at Stages, our professional music theatre (just announced they will be doing the world premiere of “Karate Kid” in 2022).  And Sunday afternoon is the symphony. Along with dining out all three days, I will need to spend Monday in bed. My kids do all the wheelchair pushing, but getting up and down from the seats is a real workout for me (my version of fitness exercises). 

Take care all, 

St Louis Sal

p.s. Here is Fritz’s campaign picture. He had sort of promised the VP spot to my grandcat Iggy.

5FFA72CA-D173-48D8-953B-EAA055EDC276.jpeg

9E5A483B-D751-4D5E-A465-F0408EBB688C.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6