Live and Happy from Eurodam October 6 to 30

Vict0riann

Today my phone seems to be working.  Just using the ship’s intranet my devices don’t sync, so the photos on one don’t show up on the other.  Perhaps I will be able to post a few from my phone now. 

The Crow’s Nest books

024A4FC6-24EB-4054-B45D-812BCC28BC07.thumb.jpeg.3dc187d503fa77ff335cea0cc492742f.jpegC90C7F94-85CC-4CBD-8BD8-4AD1D0B21FC8.thumb.jpeg.380e322e8d8b5b53d49572a6394afd7a.jpeg

In Athens

D9F48E6A-2788-4F4C-BB1A-5B3D0B771793.thumb.jpeg.830a4c017f83a6444d672a641f55985b.jpeg2030B1E1-479B-4159-9F0F-66A9E85B7744.thumb.jpeg.0284cc82e2228df05919fe66653e10c7.jpeg610BE9CF-8C42-43D3-B782-A303D87B198C.thumb.jpeg.13477a29efbaadc026e0e9c9f4c84edc.jpeg

Finally , my favourite pastries - Pika found me some this morning.

675793B0-70E2-47DA-8581-F446047911A8.thumb.jpeg.2fdfe05bec25498a3fad4c6345307399.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention, wait staff in the Lido got their PCR tests this morning.  It is done on a regular basis.  Also serology tests, as most of them seem to have had 2 Sinovax in Indonesia, and Astra Zeneca when they got on board.  One said he now has 7,600+ antibodies.  They are being monitored all the time, and will get boosters when needed.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I forgot to mention, wait staff in the Lido got their PCR tests this morning.  It is done on a regular basis.  Also serology tests, as most of them seem to have had 2 Sinovax in Indonesia, and Astra Zeneca when they got on board.  One said he now has 7,600+ antibodies.  They are being monitored all the time, and will get boosters when needed.

Thank you, Interesting to hear how the staff are being monitored.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Excellent!  Good to hear Ann.  Thanks so much for sharing this 🙂 

• Like 2

Church at 5, then the Tamarind at 6.  Maybe we’ll be able to stay up long enough to visit BB King’s!  Pat is back from a long walk into Rhodes with Tony.  I gave up after 20 minutes and returned to the ship.  It is quite warm out there.  I had my temperature taken as I re-entered the port.  Normal…. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Today my phone seems to be working.  Just using the ship’s intranet my devices don’t sync, so the photos on one don’t show up on the other.  Perhaps I will be able to post a few from my phone now. 

The Crow’s Nest books

024A4FC6-24EB-4054-B45D-812BCC28BC07.thumb.jpeg.3dc187d503fa77ff335cea0cc492742f.jpegC90C7F94-85CC-4CBD-8BD8-4AD1D0B21FC8.thumb.jpeg.380e322e8d8b5b53d49572a6394afd7a.jpeg

In Athens

D9F48E6A-2788-4F4C-BB1A-5B3D0B771793.thumb.jpeg.830a4c017f83a6444d672a641f55985b.jpeg2030B1E1-479B-4159-9F0F-66A9E85B7744.thumb.jpeg.0284cc82e2228df05919fe66653e10c7.jpeg610BE9CF-8C42-43D3-B782-A303D87B198C.thumb.jpeg.13477a29efbaadc026e0e9c9f4c84edc.jpeg

Finally , my favourite pastries - Pika found me some this morning.

675793B0-70E2-47DA-8581-F446047911A8.thumb.jpeg.2fdfe05bec25498a3fad4c6345307399.jpeg

I rarely eat the pastries on hal but they are delicious.  This one is my fav too.

• Like 3

We did the 'Easy Rhodes' tour.  It was reasonably good.  Part of the tour was a 'comfort break' and refreshments at a small beach bar just before we returned to Rhodes.

The options included water, in a 500ml plastic bottle, so I took one just to see what would happen when we returned to the ship.  Nada.  No one was interested in it, so it has pride of place on the bedside stand as my 'openly smuggled contraband'. 😇

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

Just used one of the elevators and saw this notice.  It did make me laugh.  16 people! Those where the days!  If more than 2 others got into the same elev20211010_170314.thumb.jpg.420ea468a1c6bae9ffc26d7168c09ca5.jpgator, then we would get off. 

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We did the 'Easy Rhodes' tour.  It was reasonably good.  Part of the tour was a 'comfort break' and refreshments at a small beach bar just before we returned to Rhodes.

The options included water, in a 500ml plastic bottle, so I took one just to see what would happen when we returned to the ship.  Nada.  No one was interested in it, so it has pride of place on the bedside stand as my 'openly smuggled contraband'. 😇

Thanks for taking one for the team 😛.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Quick question for @Vict0riann or @VMax1700 (or anyone else currently onboard!) -

How do the 50% off happy hours work? Half off any drink or is it buy one get a second for 50% off?

TIA

Hi Fred.  Sorry I don't know the answer to that.  I will try to find out for you.  We have the beverage pack so I don't know if it will make a difference.  Will it only cost me half a drink or if I get 2 drinks will it cost me one and a half drinks.  These are the questions that would drive one to drink. 🥂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

HAL Service:  an example........

So tonight we had dinner in the Lido.  I did not feel like a dessert, so instead took a plate with cheese, grapes and melon.  I asked if they had crackers, and the server said "no sir, but they are available at the salad station".  I was surprised by this, but went to the salad station and asked if they had crackers to which I received the expected answer of "no".

Now I need to try to paint a scene for you.  Current hygiene policies mean that every station has a server and even at the entrance to the Lido there is a server standing beside the hand sanitizer, requesting the diners to use the sanitizer as they enter for their meal.  On Eurodam the Salad station is the first station and is located close to the position of the hand sanitizer.  So, if you are still with me, the server standing at the sanitizer is within earshot of what is being asked at the salad bar.

What actually happened next surprised me.  I went back to our table with cheese and fruit and just sat down when Rick (Lido Maitre d') appeared at the table and said "Excuse me Sir, I believe you were looking for crackers?" and he produced a packet of rye crackers and offered them to me.  I took a couple and jokingly said to him "I hope that you didn't pilfer those from some server's locker"  He said no, and added that they were from the crew canteen.  I thanked him and said I was looking for the little packets of salty crackers that had been available on previous cruises.  He said that as those crackers were wrapped in plastic, they were not permitted to be offered onboard any longer.  They are not even permitted to use cling wrap in the kitchens anymore!  

Yes, the server standing beside the sanitizer had heard my request for crackers go unanswered and had alerted his superiors.  That young man will go far!  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I thanked him and said I was looking for the little packets of salty crackers that had been available on previous cruises.  He said that as those crackers were wrapped in plastic, they were not permitted to be offered onboard any longer. 

What?  Who wants cheese without crackers and I like those salty ones.  You mean I have to bring my own crackers on board.  Boy, I better write that one down GRRRRRR 

How can you have wine and cheese without crackers???

Edited to say, but that was good service. 😉 

• Like 4

Last night, after Mass, we wandered up to the Tamarind Bar and presented our cards for our free drinks.  We inquired if we were allowed to “trade them in” for a different drink and were told no, only for a soft drink.  So of course we said we would have our dam cocktail.  Actually it was very good - a mixture of Prosecco, St. Germaine liqueur, and a dash of sofa, over ice.  We enjoyed that and peanuts while we waited for Tony and Martha and our Tamarind reservation.  This time I splurged, I thought, and ordered the lobster and shrimp potstickers, and  the lobster ($20 surcharge).  It was all very good, and I had the yozu cheesecake for dessert.  At the end I wasn’t charged for dinner, just the lobster surcharge….  Plus, there was a lovely tray of sushi and sashimi from Pika.  

I have tried for a while to upload the pictures, but they have all failed, so I will try again later, or perhaps when we’re on shore in Rhodes we’ll find some internet.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kazu said:

What?  Who wants cheese without crackers and I like those salty ones.  You mean I have to bring my own crackers on board.  Boy, I better write that one down GRRRRRR 

How can you have wine and cheese without crackers???

Edited to say, but that was good service. 😉 

I too would have to bring my own crackers, seems strange not to have the crackers available.

Yes, it was good service.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Last night, after Mass, we wandered up to the Tamarind Bar and presented our cards for our free drinks.  We inquired if we were allowed to “trade them in” for a different drink and were told no, only for a soft drink.  So of course we said we would have our dam cocktail.  Actually it was very good - a mixture of Prosecco, St. Germaine liqueur, and a dash of sofa, over ice.  We enjoyed that and peanuts while we waited for Tony and Martha and our Tamarind reservation.  This time I splurged, I thought, and ordered the lobster and shrimp potstickers, and  the lobster ($20 surcharge).  It was all very good, and I had the yozu cheesecake for dessert.  At the end I wasn’t charged for dinner, just the lobster surcharge….  Plus, there was a lovely tray of sushi and sashimi from Pika.  

I have tried for a while to upload the pictures, but they have all failed, so I will try again later, or perhaps when we’re on shore in Rhodes we’ll find some internet.  

Not being mean or trying to correct but the dash of sofa gave me a good laugh. It’s must have been a big drink 😛.  Have a wonderful day.

• Haha 5

Haha!  I had a hard time swallowing that dash of sofa.  I don’t know if it was me or autocorrect….  I had a fight over the yuzu cheesecake, too.

still trying to add the photos..

yay, it worked this time, I had to sign in again, so maybe it’s CC and not the internet.

our “dam” cocktail without the dash of sofa!  Why is it underlining now?  The cocktail was garnished with a slice of orange zest and a mint leaf.  Everything seems to be garnished with mint or pea tendrils…

1E897EE2-E883-4138-95C7-B9FAA29AB66F.thumb.jpeg.30d9ff4044d0d9b9b52d8f6c8d635e43.jpeg

sorry it’s so dark, the shrimp and lobster potstickers 

6565F5C2-C8E3-4A13-B342-B7385A5C3DEA.thumb.jpeg.6313015dd1a00296cd3e47daf5bb4584.jpeg

Our treat from Pika  - shrimp tempura roll and yellowtail and salmon sashimi

16194D7E-27CF-4CC4-BFA7-81EC99DD870B.thumb.jpeg.d331c3cb8ccb5634fcb6bd436bbc6d21.jpeg

the lobster sauce was spicy.

7E48F28E-1AD0-4BAB-B6D5-5BEA17EFE174.thumb.jpeg.c156b453d053bf572b161c62666d9cc0.jpeg

the cheesecake was delicious - a creamy lemon mixture inside a white chocolate pipe, with the crumbs around it.

217CFF7E-DC70-4F19-B63F-C4DFB4CE67D8.thumb.jpeg.b8ec20459d02810b5d8b38c3b04ba39b.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

said no, and added that they were from the crew canteen.  I thanked him and said I was looking for the little packets of salty crackers that had been available on previous cruises.  He said that as those crackers were wrapped in plastic, they were not permitted to be offered onboard any longer.  They are not even permitted to use cling wrap in the kitchens anymore!  

Does anyone have any idea as to why?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

said no, and added that they were from the crew canteen.  I thanked him and said I was looking for the little packets of salty crackers that had been available on previous cruises.  He said that as those crackers were wrapped in plastic, they were not permitted to be offered onboard any longer.  They are not even permitted to use cling wrap in the kitchens anymore!  

Does anyone have any idea as to why?

Single Use Plastics.

Corporate have given instructions as they are trying to minimise the use of plastics onboard.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1