The Daily for Saturday October 02, 2021

richwmn

Good morning. All.   It's so great that @rafinmd is finally over that pesky rehab and the @dfishfound some back relief.  Way to work through the challenges!

We are soon heading out to the Spooktacular at SeaWorld with DD and DGD.  DGD gets to wear a costume and trick-or-treat.  It's frugal because we have annual passes.  Jambalaya anything is a favorite around here.  The recipes look wonderful.

I do enjoy a gin & tonic every so often.  

We were in Granada in June 2004 on a Princess cruise and of all Caribbean islands, we had one of our nicest touring days there.  Then in September of 2004 Hurricane Ivan hit the island very, very hard.  We were so sad to hear of it and felt fortunate to have seen the island before it suffered so much damage. It will be interesting today to hear how impressions vary depending on when a visit took place.

Everyone, wishing you a very pleasant day.  Thanks Rich and Team for this bright spot on the internet.   😊  🎃

• Like 24

Roy, I think you should take me off of your care list. I am healing and not hurting as bad.  I need to get ready to meet Sharon and all in eight days. I am getting excited about this trip as it looks like it will be a go. It is definitely wintery here. The nights are dipping down into the 30s and sometimes into the high 20s already.  Thanks Rich and Roy and all who add so much to this forum. I value the kindness here. 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning everyone!

Just back from Walgreen's where we now have our Covid booster in one arm and our annual flu shot in the other.  Will probably be fun later on today when/if they start to ache 💪.

We were in St. Georges, Grenada, in March of 2005, just six months after Hurricane Ivan devastated the island -- it was pretty grim.  We walked off the ship and when we got to the souvenir stalls the stench of "weed" was overwhelming 😮.  We walked out to the street where some guy asked us if we wanted a tour, when we said "no" he kept following us and we got so uncomfortable we turned around and went right back to the ship.  I know they needed the tourist dollars, but nothing felt right that day.

Gin & tonic is my go-to cocktail.  I have one before dinner every evening here at home (unless the "Daily" drink of the day appeals more - think Aperol Spritz and Pisco Sour 🤣).  Rarely do I have a G&T when cruising, tho -- I really like and miss the 0010 Martini on a BHB 🍸.

Kay

• Like 23

@mamaofamiCarol, so happy to hear that Sam has settled in well and that you like the new aide 👍 

@kpladya very happy birthday to your DH 🎂 🎉 

@ger_77we might have company on Wednesday too, but believe me, there’s still plenty of flowers and plants to be seen.  Way too many planters still and the frost hasn’t hit the hostas yet.

@cruzn singlesorry to hear about the funeral today 😔 It really is sad when people don’t take the precautions and safety measures available. 💔 

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Good Morning everyone!

Just back from Walgreen's where we now have our Covid booster in one arm and our annual flu shot in the other.  Will probably be fun later on today when/if they start to ache 💪.

We were in St. Georges, Grenada, in March of 2005, just six months after Hurricane Ivan devastated the island -- it was pretty grim.  We walked off the ship and when we got to the souvenir stalls the stench of "weed" was overwhelming 😮.  We walked out to the street where some guy asked us if we wanted a tour, when we said "no" he kept following us and we got so uncomfortable we turned around and went right back to the ship.  I know they needed the tourist dollars, but nothing felt right that day.

Gin & tonic is my go-to cocktail.  I have one before dinner every evening here at home (unless the "Daily" drink of the day appeals more - think Aperol Spritz and Pisco Sour 🤣).  Rarely do I have a G&T when cruising, tho -- I really like and miss the 0010 Martini on a BHB 🍸.

Kay

When we visited, DD and I went on a ship's tour because we felt safest doing that.  DH and DS picked up a tour off the street.  At the end of the day, we compared.  DH really had us going, telling us how they made a stop for tea and scones at the governor's palace and had private walk through the gardens there, etc., etc.  

In reality, the tours were exactly alike.  He was just pulling our leg.  Always the trickster!  

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

Good Morning.

With all the rain and gray skies lately it feels as though gin and tonic season has passed.  Oh well, there is always next summer.

I am hoping that the rain holds off for a few days so I can get my daffodil bulbs planted.  I have purchased approx. 90 new bulbs that need to make it into the ground sooner than later.  They should make quite the show next spring.

Val

• Like 18

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I will try to have some frugal fun. Custodial workers are far too unrecognized for what they do. I have never named my car, although I have friends who do.

Interesting quote.

I like the meal, but too many carbs for now. Pass on the drink. Yes to the Australian Red Wine!

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for all the pictures.

Another cold start here, in the mid 40's. It's warmed up to 65, so I will go outside shortly to mow the lawn and do a few other yard chores. It's supposed to rain tomorrow through Wednesday. I think I got the TV rebooting issue fixed, but now I see a burn-in on the screen; I have an extended warranty that might cover it, so I'll look into that next week.

@rafinmd You've been busy. Congrats on graduating from rehab. I had my garage lights changed to LED and they were flashing. I didn't know until someone told me they saw it through my garage door windows. I have a motion sensor that turns them on and it was old and not compatible with LED, so I had to install a new one. You can't mix types of lights in fixtures either, as you found out.

@Mr. Boston Safe travels.

@grapau27 You two look great; and the meal too!

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I like Cajun/Creole. I got to eat once at Prudhomme's restaurant while at a convention in NOLA.

@mamaofami I'm glad things are going well. I'm a devoted Jeopardy watcher.

@kplady Happy Birthday to DH.

@Crazy For Cats Yikes on the mice!

@aliaschief Bon Voyage!

@cruzn single So sad about your former neighbor. 

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, wear your mask and social distance when needed.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Today is my day to do everything tomorrow.  We had company over last evening, and I was on my feet all day preparing.  Today I am achy-breaky!  I expect a full recovery after a lazy day of watching sports.  🏈

I have fond memories of the custodian at my elementary school.  Mr. Waldron was the embodiment of friendly kindness.

Not all of our cars have had names, but my beloved Forester is Felix.

DH had his booster last week, I’ll be eligible in November.  Flu shots are coming up in a couple of weeks - I wait until mid-October to be protected into early spring.  In the meantime, we are both masking up when we’re out.

I laughed at the mouse tales.  Even with a multi-cat household, we have mouse stories too.

Best to all, stay safe, plan cruises!

• Like 19

45 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

What is different about this one?

It’s made with equal parts Tanquery 10 gin, Finlandia vodka, and a hint of Grand Marnier.  We like it on the rocks with an orange twist. 🥂. Princess has a similar martini called Chairman of the Board — Bombay Sapphire gin, Grey Goose vodka and Cointreau 👍.

Edited by kb4683
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On our first visit to Grenada in the 1990s, we walked into town and around the harbor.  Once we got passed all the people outside the gate trying to sell tours, we enjoyed our walk.  On the way back to the ship, we talked to one person who offered to take us to a snorkeling beach in his boat and pick us up a couple of hours later.  After we went to the ship and changed and got our snorkeling gear, we took him up on his offer.  It was pleasant time snorkeling until it started pouring rain, and it was a cold boat ride back to the ship.

In 2015, with the new cruise terminal and a better arrangement of vendors outside the gate, the situation was a lot better.  As it was their Independence Day, everyone was in a good mood and celebrating.

Both times we've been to Grenada, I bought spices, which are so much better than you can get in the grocery stores.  In 2015, when I told the Customs offical I was bringing spices back, he asked if the were whole or ground.  Fortunately, I had the ground spices, as he would have confiscated the whole spices.

@cruzn single  Sorry to hear about your former neighbor.

Lenda

• Like 20

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I will try to have some frugal fun. Custodial workers are far too unrecognized for what they do. I have never named my car, although I have friends who do.

Interesting quote.

I like the meal, but too many carbs for now. Pass on the drink. Yes to the Australian Red Wine!

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for all the pictures.

Another cold start here, in the mid 40's. It's warmed up to 65, so I will go outside shortly to mow the lawn and do a few other yard chores. It's supposed to rain tomorrow through Wednesday. I think I got the TV rebooting issue fixed, but now I see a burn-in on the screen; I have an extended warranty that might cover it, so I'll look into that next week.

@rafinmd You've been busy. Congrats on graduating from rehab. I had my garage lights changed to LED and they were flashing. I didn't know until someone told me they saw it through my garage door windows. I have a motion sensor that turns them on and it was old and not compatible with LED, so I had to install a new one. You can't mix types of lights in fixtures either, as you found out.

@Mr. Boston Safe travels.

@grapau27 You two look great; and the meal too!

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. I like Cajun/Creole. I got to eat once at Prudhomme's restaurant while at a convention in NOLA.

@mamaofami I'm glad things are going well. I'm a devoted Jeopardy watcher.

@kplady Happy Birthday to DH.

@Crazy For Cats Yikes on the mice!

@aliaschief Bon Voyage!

@cruzn single So sad about your former neighbor. 

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe, wear your mask and social distance when needed.

Thank you for your kind words JazzyV.

Graham.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

It’s made with equal parts Tanquery 10 gin, Finlandia vodka, and a hint of Grand Marnier.  We like it on the rocks with an orange twist. 🥂. Princess has a similar martini called Chairman of the Board — Bombay Sapphire gin, Grey Goose vodka and Cointreau 👍.

Oops, I messed up, it’s Vox vodka, not Finlandia — sorry 😔

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good day and thanks  to all!   Mr Truck and Pearl say hi!  
My father was very frugal as he grew up in the Great Depression,  so I’ve learned from him.  But lately I’m having fun spending money, can’t take it with you.  Might as well enjoy what we have within reason.   We started doing more birdwatching which one would think of as a frugal endeavour, until one buys professional cameras, lens, binoculars …..
We visited Grenada a while ago so a few photos.

67462648-F266-41E0-B7C7-FBD2B6C38B3D.jpeg

DEA22992-9A7A-44FD-BFC0-C61C02539728.jpeg

D691D4F1-D009-4181-B0D4-D69FA005645F.jpeg

2B7CA33C-0B75-4381-BD5B-0109900AA6ED.jpeg

D74BDE31-6852-4807-AA6A-C988B257E8F1.jpeg

8209068D-EF3A-4C72-B39F-43F3E232AC36.jpeg

09FEA630-1C56-4D14-85D5-25B83951624D.jpeg

• Like 26

@bennybeardo you know how long ago it was that you took those photos?  The Scots Kirk clock and belltower look so nice and clean.  Must have been before Ivan destroyed so much of the town.  I read that the church was destroyed but the bell tower survived.  Here's your photo:D74BDE31-6852-4807-AA6A-C988B257E8F1.jpeg

This is it in 2015.  Look at all the dirt on those bricks.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-kP0E1YTlMFpQeB3iiwpH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1427213215

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, kplady said:

Good morning everyone!

Good days to celebrate - Frugal Day works for DH and me, we both hate to waste money or time. National Custodian's Day is appropriate, as DH was a school custodian for 10 years after being laid off from his previous job.  He loved being around all the elementary school children.  I was PTA president at the elementary school (before he started working there), and always felt the custodians were more important to the school functioning well than the principal!

We were in Granada in 2012 on the Caribbean Princess.  We did a tour of the island, including Nutmeg World and the Grand Etang National Park. The flowers were beautiful everywhere we went.  We also so a building destroyed during the fighting, and a monument to the USA thanking them for helping.  Everyone we saw who knew we were Americans said thank you...very humbling.

IMG_2662.thumb.JPG.85d4bb5ddb89fdd4348ad9f29a38ad2a.JPG

IMG_2693.thumb.JPG.886e8b3784566e6ad15b4439df169b74.JPG

IMG_2700.thumb.JPG.6fb20b48c717a71ae7214217706eaed5.JPG

IMG_2704.thumb.JPG.a3367685966f1f1e4b646db69811f930.JPG

IMG_2724.thumb.JPG.fac0fc81cdd506e72cd79f7b48cfa0a3.JPG

IMG_2729.thumb.JPG.b0b9c1cd9b9ccebb6e453b737827d04f.JPG

IMG_2731.thumb.JPG.46846f5db3c1cc2d95da36e41adea78d.JPG

Today is DH's birthday, we're having pulled pork in the crock pot for dinner.  We'll probably celebrate at a restaurant during the week, as our 47th anniversary is on Tuesday.  It's getting harder to coordinate with our 2 DS's schedules where we can all get together.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day and weekend. Prayers for all on the Care list, lifting a glass to celebrate with all on the Cheers list.  Enjoy!!

Laura

Happy birthday wishes for your husband Laura.

Happy 47th wedding anniversary wishes for Tuesday too.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210822_162032.jpg

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

🤞Fingers crossed.  CC is working on my tablet with Chrome!  I'm not sure what if anything I did to make it work.

Lenda

YAY 👍 CC seems to be working fine today.  I’m back to using safari on my Ipad.  (I hope I didn’t jinx myself).

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

YAY 👍 CC seems to be working fine today.  I’m back to using safari on my Ipad.  (I hope I didn’t jinx myself).

I have always used my Android mobile phone to post and so far had no issues 🤞🙏

Graham.

• Like 7

Great selection of days, meal, wine & quote!

My car is named Roxy the Redhead -- I'll bet you know what color she is!😄

Grenada was a stop on one of our earliest cruises, when we didn't know to book private excursions. We did a ship's excursion to snorkle with turtles, and there were so many people that we were all crashing into one another. The poor turtles didn't have a chance!! Never again!

• Like 17