The Daily for Friday October 22, 2021

richwmn

4 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

I would like to thank everyone that sent me Birthday wishes.  I shared my birthday with my Paternal Grandmother and a Grand Aunt and we always celebrated together when I was a child.

In February, 8 long months ago we ordered new recliners from the Laz e company and they were finally delivered today.  I thought I would be able to spend the day relaxing but our quality control kitty Mya had different plans.

IMG_0819.jpg

Happy Birthday!

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

I thought I would be able to spend the day relaxing but our quality control kitty Mya had different plans.

IMG_0819.jpg

Love the “quality control kitty” and Mya’s name and the pic.  Beautiful quality control kitty 😄   Glad you had a nice get together with family for your birthday 👍 

• Like 13

I am joining those with CC problems.  Can't "like" anything, and we shall see if this posts.  Yesterday I was wanting to respond to those with such sad news, but CC had other ideas.

Thanks to all who are posting pictures of today's port.  I will visit there in February on my Panama Canal Cruise.  Looks lovely.  After reading the at least two of you had done the Five Bays excursion, I think that I will book it.  I have been pondering the excursions for awhile and so am glad to have that suggestion.  ( The roll call for that particular cruise is very quiet.  I think most on it were hesitant to get enthused about that particular voyage, if case it didn't "go.")

I am working with all of the changes that I am having to make to do the new routine for my breathing.  I want to make sure I jump through all the hoops, as I am coming up on my annual World Trade Center medical monitoring exam.  Will be interesting to see how this new regime is helping.

I love corned beef hash, and I enjoyed it on the Nieuw Amsterdam in August.  Will wait for the Zuiderdam in late January/February.  The recipes looked nice.

Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 21

21 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Jane, I'm tired after our cruise as well, even though I slept like a baby on the beautiful Koningsdam.  You have every right to be at 80!  Glad you're seeing your docs, though.

I came home and started popping iron and vitamin B, but that's not very scientific. 

You and I discussed reserving judgment on whether we like "the big ships."  Guess I came around, as we booked same ship for Mexico in January.  No cure for the post-cruise blues quite like another cruise.  😊

Maxine

• Like 19

13 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Thanks to all who commented re the boosters!  Wondering also about the side effects?

@bdrcole ooh, I just ordered some new chairs too.  8 months👀

I had zero side effects other than a little soreness at injection site.  DH said he was a tiny bit under the weather for a day.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Hello again.  We first visited Huatulco in the latter part of the 1990s in the pre-digital age.  Since then, we've been to Huatulco several times on BHBs.

Our first BHB to Hualtuco was the Statendam in 2009 when we did b2b canal cruises.  The first visit, we signed up for the land and sea tour.  Unfortunately, we found out after were had been on the bus for an hour that the boat needed repairs and we would not be doing the sea portion.  We talked to the ShoreEx people when we got back, and the manager booked us on the 5 Bays Cruise on the next segment at no cost to us.  That was even more than we expected.

These are from the land tour

IMG_5108.thumb.JPG.6195a154014ddcbe1ef161f15a10f128.JPG

IMG_5115.thumb.JPG.7b81a8cff03f5d85363e7a0b10ea4dfc.JPG

Just a few from the 5 Bays tour.

IMG_5600.thumb.JPG.b4853dc498a73e64d4aa100bf5a88202.JPG

Not our boat, but a similar one

IMG_5627.thumb.JPG.b19fa7700d05c98edd2a5f4b3a5bc459.JPG

Returning to Huatulco

DSC01838.thumb.JPG.addd9b803d372b41a6939a173168c363.JPG

IMG_5633.thumb.JPG.b2e0ab5ad03d04cda2f334390e66c92b.JPG

IMG_5634.thumb.JPG.f8284d0c72fdd9c316f831dd0ffa6eed.JPG

In 2014, we were on Veendam on a b2b canal cruise, but only stopped in Huatulco once.  The first picture is from the ship.  

DSC00939.thumb.JPG.2cd75fbcbc03def2704ca9c79acc70f7.JPG

DSC08592.thumb.JPG.d21938eb9bafe4564a9664982743ee3d.JPG

DSC00941.thumb.JPG.cbde86246e4e1d48bcbcc6923f2c5d14.JPG

In 2015, we were on Statendam on a canal cruise, on our way to Ft. Lauderdale to board the Ruby Princess.  The cruise sure beat flying.  😉

DSC01831.thumb.JPG.ea4ccb4b42e878b1644dec3871f4dcdf.JPG

DSC01833.thumb.JPG.18b14f8b41e0bc5d37978007b8ccb3ee.JPG

DSC01836.thumb.JPG.53f5c4b7f7f786b649d6119c7863d71a.JPG

In 2020 on our last cruise and our last cruise on Rotterdam VI, we stopped in Huatulco twice on a b3b canal cruise.  This time, we opted to stay in town both times and just walked around for a while before enjoying one of the beach cafes and a coke.

DSC08589.thumb.JPG.911d0021c85809c33c5d62e4cb46ce4d.JPG

DSC08594.thumb.JPG.eb1982df2da0db9167d5656bb9ff6a20.JPG

DSC08595.thumb.JPG.bc0585b727f21ee6a5ff0184afaa7299.JPG

DSC09015.thumb.JPG.7ffc494f70af40a70d8b8ac35ecdff6b.JPG
DSC09019.thumb.JPG.b01305c7860ac87127b2e0ec7b435d2e.JPG

DSC08596.thumb.JPG.05647e32268cae5ea7055d16cecfbd9d.JPG

The area to the left after passing the cafes and the church.  It was quiet and undiscovered.

DSC09016.thumb.JPG.aa73be5c12cc06d24c70cb24eba06bab.JPG

A final view of town from the dockDSC08597.thumb.JPG.29b132b33369292c4584d6896d358628.JPG

Our home away from home for 32 days in 2020

DSC09018.thumb.JPG.2c49c71def0de0b141e202f5fc430c72.JPG

Lenda

Thanks for posting these nice photos Lenda.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Great days. I like nuts and they're good fats. We need to clean up the world every day. As a science/math kind of person, I'm glad that smart is cool! 

Good quote.

I like corned beef hash; but I've never made it. No to the drink, yes to the wine. I'm making a turkey pumpkin chili (from Skinnytaste.com) for the first time, so I'll see how it turns out. 

I have been anchored off Huatulco, Mexico as we had a stop for a medical evacuation on my LA to NYC Panama Canal cruise. Thanks for all the pictures.

We had 3 tornados touch down last night in the area, but none too close to me. Mainly property damage, trees and power lines down and thankfully no injuries that I know of. Today it's just damp and chilly.

@bdrcole Happy Birthday!

@dfish I'm glad you all are ok from the storms. 

@smitty34877 I hope your car parts come in soon. I hear they're getting scarce with the supply issues.

@bennybear My third shot  (Moderna) way back in late August was the same type; I got it due to being immunocompromised so it wasn't considered a "booster" then. I had a sore arm, chills and headachy for about 36 hours, then fine.

@aliaschief HMC looks delightful.

@lazey1 It's good you have doctor appointments coming up to see what's going on.

@CrabbyPatti Congrats on the weight loss and A1C improvement! I'm trying and I know how tough it can be.

@StLouisCruisers Glad to hear the good news about Damon.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone. We just had our 2nd police officer die from Covid. Sad.

A few pics from offshore at Huatulco

145660791_001-11_10.19ApproachingHuatulcoMexicoforemergencymedicalstop.thumb.jpg.a5e0f25dcb36588d3f261266dc231048.jpg

271378542_003-11_10.19HuatulcoMexico.thumb.jpg.422ea9d854be0bd516ae1c9646f04e94.jpg

709053146_007-11_10.19HotelatHuatulcoMexico.thumb.jpg.7c88af9c4852e506f21373ba2f2c70b7.jpg

Passenger being taken to a waiting ambulance on the pier

1343075770_012-11_10.19PassengerbeingtakentoshoreHuatulcoMexico.thumb.jpg.a52fbbc5ba1ec4d2686398067bb00420.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thanks for the information about the CG cutter.  We don't see them very often outside of the US.

Lenda

They are not just in domestic waters. When I was in the Coast Guard my cutter made port in Panama, Acapulco, and Guam as well as Oahu. My brother who was also in the CG stopped in Bermuda one time.

With today's world currently there are six CG cutters homeported in Bahrain patrolling the Persian Gulf. The CG is the USA's Seagoing Police Department and are deployed around the world. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

56 minutes ago, LCruiser17 said:

I love the concept for this thread!

I might not contribute much, but I'll be reading.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the HAL board 🙂 

And welcome to the Daily.  Any contribution you choose to do will be most appreciated 🙂 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, LCruiser17 said:

I love the concept for this thread!

I might not contribute much, but I'll be reading.

Welcome to cruise critic you will love it.

Jim.

• Like 10

It's another busy day in the Daily neighborhood with new members, good news, questions answered and learning new information.

@bdrcole  Your quality control staff is beautiful. 🐱

@cruzn single  Hope you don't have too much trouble getting your new routine down.  Also, hope the WTC exam shows good news or at least no bad news.

@lazey1  Jane, it is good that your seeing your doctors.   🤞 Fingers crossed that they don't find anything major.  The 5 Bays tour was nice and relaxing, with a swim/snorkel stop.

@grapau27 Graham, thanks for the nice comments.

@JazzyV  So glad the tornados did not affect you.

@CrabbyPatti  Congratulations on the weight loss and the new A1C numbers.  👍 👋

@aliaschief  Thanks for the pictures of HMC.  It's been too long since we were there.  Glad you had such a great cruise.

@StLouisCruisers  Hope Damon does make it home Monday.  🤞

@Heartgrove  Again, thanks for the information.  It's always nice to learn something new.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

My son and daughter also benefited from gifted programs and became successful adults. Would not want to see those programs gone.

However, as an educator, what concerns me more,  is the lack of technical programs in our school systems. Not everyone is meant for science and humanities.

Our country is in desperate need of mechanics, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, masons, craftsmen and on and on. Those with these skills are often overlooked and pigeonholed into academic programs that neither satisfy them or help them.

• Like 22

2 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

My son and daughter also benefited from gifted programs and became successful adults. Would not want to see those programs gone.

However, as an educator, what concerns me more,  is the lack of technical programs in our school systems. Not everyone is meant for science and humanities.

Our country is in desperate need of mechanics, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, masons, craftsmen and on and on. Those with these skills are often overlooked and pigeonholed into academic programs that neither satisfy them or help them.

Welcome to the Daily.  What concerns me more (correct me if I'm wrong) is that we're asking so much of our teachers these days and spreading you so thin that I worry about burnout.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

I would agree with technical programs for those interested and inclined.  From our Daily family's experience, we need lots of appliance repairmen!

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, trivia addict said:

Welcome!

• Like 10

Good afternoon, all! It has been a busy day of chores, as happens on the first day back on island. The walnuts have been harvested, and are aging on a sheet in the loft. That takes care of Nut Day! I enjoy corned beef, but today it loses out to Roy’s suggestion of prime rib!

we don’t actually have either in the house, but a girl can dream. 
We've never been to today’s port, but in less than two weeks we will be in Nuevo Vallarta. It will be our first time outside Canada since March 2020, over a year and a half ago. Our government has dropped the advisory against international travel just in time. Now if only they would drop the avoid cruise ship advisory. I’m sure that’s coming, though.

Happy Friday, TGIF for those still working a five day week, and for those embarking on a BHB on Saturday!

D09311A2-FD95-4BA9-9509-F6F61935E1D7.thumb.jpeg.16a9cac875da1a107ca636854bef7540.jpeg

• Like 20

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I am not a corned beef fan. It goes in line with:

image.png.cb85d095cce74bb2d37cbefb2a9e1bc1.png

This evening we're meeting friends at a concert here in Sun City, then out for dinner, and no, it won't be corned beef hash!

Blessings,  Cheers and of course lots of Prayers!!

Oh, that is NOT real corned beef! I can’t blame you for not liking that at all! It would be like not liking baked salmon based on canned salmon!

• Like 5

Things heated up today.  My PSA was higher than expected and I touched base with my Oncologist to see if the radiation consult should be moved up.  This morning I got a call from the radiologist and I now see him October 29 instead of November 17.  Filled in a lot of pre-meeting paperwork today.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 12