Reflection or Silhouette?

earlydiner

We are planning to cruise in January/February and can not decide whether it will be the Reflection or the Silhouette.  The Reflection would be B2B's each being seven days R/T Fort Lauderdale or the 11 day

Southern Caribbean on the Silhouette R/T Fort Lauderdale. Knowing that the Silhouette has been refurbished in 2020 is tempting me.  Difference is only $500 for the extra 3 days on the Reflection.

Looking for someone who has been on either or both of these ships to give me some help.  Also if someone has just been on one of these what was the mask policy.  We were so happy on the Millennium last month with not having to wear masks. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by earlydiner

I was on reflection late in 2019 Nov/Dec cruise. Even tho not updated it was in great shape.  I would be more looking at the itinerary overall for the choice n 500 more for 3 days is a good deal. Also unless looking at suites, I don’t think it matters overall on the ships. Silhouette would have the retreat then. Many say the reflection seems more crowded overall, I did not notice it between the 2 ships, been on both a few times. With either you can’t go wrong overall

We cruised on Reflection a few years ago and Silhouette last month.

The ships are very similar, both have the benefit of additional speciality dining venues. Reflection has  additional suites and a full floor more guests. Generally the only times it seemed busier than other S class ships was poolside on sea days.

The upgrades on Silhouette mainly benefit suite guests rather than generally as they now have a very nice sun deck. We loved Silhouette and as we generally cruise in suites we would choose her over Reflection. Our room had definitely been refreshed, I think all rooms had but perhaps someone else can confirm this. The wine bar had been redesigned into more of a sports bar.

However, if I were to cruise not in a suite I really don’t think there is that much to choose between them and I would probably focus more on itinerary and price. A longer cruise is always better!

Re mask wearing we did have to wear them on Silhouette as we were cruising from the UK. We honestly didn’t find it a big deal. Not needed outside and inside not needed once you were seated in a bar or restaurant. 

Whatever cruise you choose I am sure you will have a fantastic time!

Been on both so I would err towards Silhouette as the sky lounge takes the full width of the ship.

Unsure if Reflection has had some of the grass replaced for more seating like on Silhouette. That was so much better on Silhouette.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Been on both so I would err towards Silhouette as the sky lounge takes the full width of the ship.

Unsure if Reflection has had some of the grass replaced for more seating like on Silhouette. That was so much better on Silhouette.

I had forgotten about the extra seating on Silhouette, agree a big improvement.

59 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I had forgotten about the extra seating on Silhouette, agree a big improvement.

Been on both many times and both equally beautiful. I'll be on the Silly November 12th sailing and will report back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Our room had definitely been refreshed, I think all rooms had but perhaps someone else can confirm this.

We were in a 2A cabin on Silhouette and it had definitely had a make over, as covers curtains etc were a different colour. Now blues and greys, instead of burgundy.

932C2BDF-983B-4594-8D81-C4DCD691CFA7.thumb.jpeg.14728f3785eab4c03f6f97c88b4197df.jpeg

Cabin 7201.

ADAA82B6-7B0B-4E70-A76D-B4E783686EF9.thumb.jpeg.b1e4fb95a52a1aaafbffd2bbee6cb9e2.jpeg

Bathroom.

18687430-486E-48DE-90E8-A00561CC918C.thumb.jpeg.73bfabb72123905fd1116e7e3ee7e0ce.jpeg

Burgandy colours prior to refurbishment.

C3E0B183-C8DC-4BA8-9B27-4F95A811B013.thumb.jpeg.989a52bd4a4039c02d3fdf88c69b4103.jpeg

Some lawn remains.

05C74926-F73E-4D6A-BCD3-D3895A1F46BD.thumb.jpeg.f247905ca76972d89bc36d16408a74a7.jpeg

But most of Deck 15 , is now this design.

325CDAE2-7B8B-44A0-A84C-1DCA8A1DB649.thumb.jpeg.18d5aa610e7f52fd92f35926731af209.jpeg

Refurbished Sky Lounge.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, earlydiner said:

We are planning to cruise in January/February and can not decide whether it will be the Reflection or the Silhouette.  The Reflection would be B2B's each being seven days R/T Fort Lauderdale or the 11 day

Southern Caribbean on the Silhouette R/T Fort Lauderdale. Knowing that the Silhouette has been refurbished in 2020 is tempting me.  Difference is only $500 for the extra 3 days on the Reflection.

Looking for someone who has been on either or both of these ships to give me some help.  Also if someone has just been on one of these what was the mask policy.  We were so happy on the Millennium last month with not having to wear masks. 

Thanks in advance.

A lot depends on the itinerary and the class you have chosen.  I would not recommend the Reflection for Aqua Class as it is overcrowded in the dining room, Blu.  If you are in a suite, I would also choose Silhouette as there are newer amenities for that class.  Otherwise, both ships are excellent choices.  

56 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Remember that the in between day on a back to back is usually a “lost” day, interrupting your cruise experience.  

But it is soooo nice last night of first cruise not having to pack, wishing others a safe journey home….knowing you are only half way through your cruise…

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Yes, I know, but it was the colours on Silhouette before renovation.

Sorry, I thought that was your point, but I would have figured you would have noted as such.

Edited by mahdnc

Reflection has not been refurbished, but I have always enjoyed cruising on her; however, the Silly has been and I loved my cruise to the Adriatic on her, the atmosphere aboard and tthe great friends I met. The itinerary is very important to me, except on a TA where the ship is most important!  I am sure that whatever you choose you will find lots of great aspects of your cruise, along with wonderful memories.  

Edited by Lastdance

We chose Reflection over Silly for Jan. due to price being considerably less for a suite. Don't care about a sun deck for suites and was interested to see how the original Michael's Club is outfitted, as opposed to the Retreat Lounge on the refurbished Equinox, which we sailed recently. Also, I would always opt for a longer cruise vs. a shorter cruise. 

12 hours ago, earlydiner said:

Thanks in advance.

I've sailed both and prefer the Reflection. I like the OVC being on the same deck as the pool and not one deck up.  The Reflection does have more cabins however and some find it a bit more crowded. It has never bothered us. Pre-pandemic I did prefer the crew on Reflection. The Silhouette was very much pushing upsells on beverage packages and dining on several of our cruises and really pushed beyond taking a polite and firm no to the point that was annoying. That being said, I'd not hesitate sailing either ship if the itinerary and price was right. I love both (in fact any) of the S-class ships.

Some have noted that they had to wait for seating in Blu when sailing Aqua class as it's more crowded. We have sailed both and found the opposite as far as wait times. I think it was more a function of management by the maitre d than number of passengers. Whenever we sailed Aqua on Silhouette we were greeted with a beeper, albeit the waits were not long. That was regardless of dining time.

Edited by Luvcrusn

I would like to thank all of you cruisers that gave some great information on these ships.  We have been on Eclipse a couple of times and love the S class ships.  Then last month on the Millennium being freshly redone was nice.  We have been on many cruises to the Caribbean and so the itineraries are becoming less important.  However, since we have been to all of the ports on both Reflection cruises and not all on the Silhouette I think that might play a part.  Another influence is the having to test before the second leg.  Many people writing on B2B's say they are somewhat tense on the first with that possible, but unlikely, positive test.

Thanks again for helping us decide.  Need to do it today for the great pricing.

Edited by earlydiner

Our favorite ship is the Silhouette however the three extra days on the Reflection would win out for us.  The Reflection has always seemed a little more crowded to us.   Also we like The Porch on the Silhouette  though not everyone does.  

Edited by NCHPcruiser
Misspelling

1 hour ago, NCHPcruiser said:

Our favorite ship is the Silhouette however the three extra days on the Reflection would win out for us.  The Reflection has always seemed a little more crowded to us.   Also we like The Porch on the Silhouette  though not everyone does.  

Porch is on Reflection, too!