How are the Muster Drills now being conducted? We board Nieuw Amsterdam November 20th would like to know. Thanks

Ruth

Watch a video on stateroom TV.  Normal programs are not available on TV until you watch the Safety Video.

Report to your Muster Station, the number of which is noted on your stateroom key and on the safety notice on your stateroom door.  Your key will be scanned by a staff member.

Listen to the Captain's pre cruise address.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Watch a video on stateroom TV.  Normal programs are not available on TV until you watch the Safety Video.

Report to your Muster Station, the number of which is noted on your stateroom key and on the safety notice on your stateroom door.  Your key will be scanned by a staff member.

Listen to the Captain's pre cruise address.

Enjoy your cruise!

Above info still current.  Currently on Rotterdam and same procedures apply.

• Like 1

Yup! It’s Easy as 1,2,3,  these days. The first time in Alaska we went immediately to our muster station after picking up our key  at our cabin mailbox. We got there too early and they were not set up. Second cruise, we waited until they announced then went to directed station.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 1

it was insightful to learn from ChengKP - an insider expert on ship's operations who would often post here -- that muster drills were not done so much for the passengers, but to test the crews.

How well could they handle the "evacuation" of all passengers to the outside decks, once an alarm was sounded.  Gave me new respect for the intent of this often noisome pre-sailing requirement. And gratitude knowing even our own temporary inconveniences helped the crew to master their skills that hopefully we would never need, but if we ever did need would be in top notch order should they ever be required. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We haven’t experienced the new process but like the sound of it.  I give it high marks for requiring checkin at your muster station, something I feel is important.

Yes, important you know where to go in an emergency.  And this way, there are very few people at the muster station at any one time.  Easy to keep your distance.  

7 hours ago, KirkNC said:

We haven’t experienced the new process but like the sound of it.  I give it high marks for requiring checkin at your muster station, something I feel is important.

Yes checking in at the muster station is very important ,after watching the process on the cabin TV 

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

No one will know if this is all good until there is a real emergency and a call to muster.

We had the same process on Celebrity last month...  they also sent out a survey...in order to complete the survey you had to do a test of your "muster" knowledge,  sounds like they are testing whether or not the new system is actually more informative...  I actually learned a few new things under the new system.  

9 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

We had the same process on Celebrity last month...  they also sent out a survey...in order to complete the survey you had to do a test of your "muster" knowledge,  sounds like they are testing whether or not the new system is actually more informative...  I actually learned a few new things under the new system.  

But as has been pointed out by the veteran seamen on these boards, the real people who need the experience of the drill are the crew members. It is their only chance to interact with real passengers in a muster situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

But as has been pointed out by the veteran seamen on these boards, the real people who need the experience of the drill are the crew members. It is their only chance to interact with real passengers in a muster situation.

Covid did in the old system.  It was already probably on the way out eventually as several lines had gone to indoor muster.  I think the new system on HAL is a good compromise, passengers still have to find their muster station and have what is probably a better safety briefing via the tv.  I hear you on the crew aspect but some form of alternative training can hopefully cover that.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Covid did in the old system.  It was already probably on the way out eventually as several lines had gone to indoor muster.  I think the new system on HAL is a good compromise, passengers still have to find their muster station and have what is probably a better safety briefing via the tv.  I hear you on the crew aspect but some form of alternative training can hopefully cover that.

I believe the new system is here to stay as passengers would revolt if the old system was reinstated post covid, but I still worry about a real emergency. What would you propose as crew training that would simulate dealing with thousands of passengers in a real emergency situation?

24 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I believe the new system is here to stay as passengers would revolt if the old system was reinstated post covid, but I still worry about a real emergency. What would you propose as crew training that would simulate dealing with thousands of passengers in a real emergency situation?

No idea on the training issue.  Hopefully someone closer to the problem can come up with a solution.  Nothing is perfect but I still think this is a good compromise.