Blu Food - Tell me your can't miss favorite menu items

lbryant

We've just gotten upgraded to Aqua in our upcoming 11 night Silhouette sailing. What are you favorite Blu menu items? Pictures if you have them would be amazing!! I've had breakfast in Blu before but not dinner or dessert.  Thanks

13 hours ago, jelayne said:

The rib eye with a side of French fries (fries not on the menu but available ).

I tried the much discussed Ribeye Steak at Blu two weeks ago in the Edge and to be very honest thought it was just OK. I think I prefer my steaks with a nice char and seasoned well with salt and pepper on it as prepared in a steakhouse and that's not the way it was done. To me it lacked flavor. 

One of my favorite dishes so far is the Whole Wheat Spaghetti Al Pesto. The pasta was done to the proper texture and the Pesto sauce was tasty and well flavored with the ingredients well balanced.

I don't think we have ever had a bad meal in the Blu.  The Short ribs and lamb chops are always good.  The osso buco has always been excellent.  Breakfast is just relaxing but not really anything special food wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katsno said:

Breakfast is just relaxing but not really anything special food wise.

Agree and you can't beat the buffet for variety when they have Chinese Congee for example among the many other items.

What puzzles me about breakfast at Blu is that for a restaurant that is supposed to be about healthy eating hot oatmeal for breakfast isn't listed on the menu. Really? I was able to get it when I requested it but that shouldn't be the case. Hot Oatmeal is probably considered the healthiest breakfast food you can have.  

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Agree and you can't beat the buffet for variety when they have Chinese Congee for example among the many other items.

What puzzles me about breakfast at Blu is that for a restaurant that is supposed to be about healthy eating hot oatmeal for breakfast isn't listed on the menu. Really? I was able to get it when I requested it but that shouldn't be the case. Hot Oatmeal is probably considered the healthiest breakfast food you can have.  

Muesli used to be made tableside and that was a big draw but now gone.  I get a nice Oatmeal at the Aqua Spa cafe. 

Also, several years s ago in Blu they had a lobster tail with a slight Tangerine sauce. I liked it , wife did not.

Edited by dkjretired

Most of the meals in AQ are enjoyable.   I will just say-  on the everyday menu they have a intimation Hamburger.   Out of curiosity I tried it (actually ordered on the side with my regular meal)   and all I can say is I'm glad I ordered an substitute.   One bite and I was done. 

A couple of items we enjoyed were the Lamb Shanks, Rack of Lamb and all of the fish that were offered.   The chef really knows how to cook fish to perfection.   Black Sea Bass was my favorite.

The Petite Filet (on the children's menu) is a perfect 4-5 ounce filet which is just right for us.   They will try to double your order but we have to specifically tell them just one.

Iain enjoys the breast of duck and Pheasant but has to expressly tell them to cook it to medium rare so it isn't dried out.    He also enjoys the Guinea Hen (but he will always point out that it's a Cornish Hen not a Guinea Hen).     A Guinea Hen has a totally different shape. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Muesli used to be made tableside and that was a big draw but now gone.  I get a nice Oatmeal at the Aqua Spa cafe. 

I have a story about oatmeal on a Celebrity cruise. We were on a Transpacifc cruise from Vancouver to China on the Millenium and we enjoyed the Elite breakfast but I was missing my oatmeal. So one morning I went to get some hot oatmeal from the spa cafe and bring it into the restaurant where the Elite Breakfast was. The Captains Club host was there and she was not pleased with what I was doing, implying that if she allowed me to do it then everyone will be bringing in hot food and that's not what the Elite breakfast is.  I was annoyed that she make a big deal about it but later at the elite cocktail hour we had a chance to speak with her at length about various things and we all patched up our differences. In fact she was quite helpful later on the cruise when we needed to Downline at the last port stop in Japan instead of China and catch a bullet train for our land tour of Japan. She arranged for us to be in the front of the line to disembark.

I know the Spa Cafe has the Hot Apple Cider oatmeal and as long as it's prepared properly it's quite good. I didn't check out the Spa Cafe so not sure that's still served in the morning. I miss the old Spa Cafe where at lunchtime they had made to order simply grilled Salmon or Chicken breast.  I find I almost never eat at the Spa Cafe anymore. 

Edited by kwokpot

39 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I have a story about oatmeal on a Celebrity cruise. We were on a Transpacifc cruise from Vancouver to China on the Millenium and we enjoyed the Elite breakfast but I was missing my oatmeal. So one morning I went to get some hot oatmeal from the spa cafe and bring it into the restaurant where the Elite Breakfast was. The Captains Club host was there and she was not pleased with what I was doing, implying that if she allowed me to do it then everyone will be bringing in hot food and that's not what the Elite breakfast is.  I was annoyed that she make a big deal about it but later at the elite cocktail hour we had a chance to speak with her at length about various things and we all patched up our differences. In fact she was quite helpful later on the cruise when we needed to Downline at the last port stop in Japan instead of China and catch a bullet train for our land tour of Japan. She arranged for us to be in the front of the line to disembark.

I know the Spa Cafe has the Hot Apple Cider oatmeal and as long as it's prepared properly it's quite good. I didn't check out the Spa Cafe so not sure that's still served in the morning. I miss the old Spa Cafe where at lunchtime they had made to order simply grilled Salmon or Chicken breast.  I find I almost never eat at the Spa Cafe anymore. 

I'll have to look for the Oatmeal.  I love oatmeal but what I usually find is like eating wallpaper paste.   I did have the Muesli in Blu on my last cruise in Blu and even though they don't have the cart to select what you want on it,  it was still enjoyable.

From what I was told the Muesli they had in Spa Cafe was made with OJ while the one in Ocean View was made with milk.   

Edited by Jim_Iain

7 hours ago, Katsno said:

I don't think we have ever had a bad meal in the Blu.  The Short ribs and lamb chops are always good.  The osso buco has always been excellent.  Breakfast is just relaxing but not really anything special food wise.

Well said.  I agree on all counts. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

From what I was told the Muesli they had in Spa Cafe was made with OJ while the one in Ocean View was made with milk. 

OJ? That sounds a bit weird. Not sure I would enjoy that. I'll find out myself Tuesday morning on the Summit.

It's funny how museli never caught on in America while oatmeal did, even though both are made from oats and Americans eat cold cereal made from wheat.  There is a trend towards overnight oats which is closer to museli although it doesn't have the added sugar,nuts, and other extra ingredients that museli has.

Steel cut oatmeal has a totally different texture and may be more to your liking than rolled oats oatmeal. Also making it with milk or almond milk gives it a rich creamy taste. 

6 hours ago, kwokpot said:

OJ? That sounds a bit weird. Not sure I would enjoy that. I'll find out myself Tuesday morning on the Summit.

It's funny how museli never caught on in America while oatmeal did, even though both are made from oats and Americans eat cold cereal made from wheat.  There is a trend towards overnight oats which is closer to museli although it doesn't have the added sugar,nuts, and other extra ingredients that museli has.

Steel cut oatmeal has a totally different texture and may be more to your liking than rolled oats oatmeal. Also making it with milk or almond milk gives it a rich creamy taste. 

Steel cut oatmeal is excellent stuff.  I doubt you will find that on Celebrity.

36 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Try the breakfast smoothies.  It's about 4 ounces, and there is about 4-6 flavors.  On our last cruise I didn't bother with the smoothies until two days before our cruise ended.  I had forgotten how good they were!

Yes, the Mango Smoothie is excellent!

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:32 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Most of the meals in AQ are enjoyable.   I will just say-  on the everyday menu they have a intimation Hamburger.   Out of curiosity I tried it (actually ordered on the side with my regular meal)   and all I can say is I'm glad I ordered an substitute.   One bite and I was done. 

A couple of items we enjoyed were the Lamb Shanks, Rack of Lamb and all of the fish that were offered.   The chef really knows how to cook fish to perfection.   Black Sea Bass was my favorite.

The Petite Filet (on the children's menu) is a perfect 4-5 ounce filet which is just right for us.   They will try to double your order but we have to specifically tell them just one.

Iain enjoys the breast of duck and Pheasant but has to expressly tell them to cook it to medium rare so it isn't dried out.    He also enjoys the Guinea Hen (but he will always point out that it's a Cornish Hen not a Guinea Hen).     A Guinea Hen has a totally different shape. 

He's right about the Cornish hen vs Guinea hen ...totally different, different looking and a different taste!