The Daily for Tuesday November 23, 2021

richwmn

I just put dinner in the oven, so thought I'd come back and finish off "Martha Stewart Isn't Coming For Thanksgiving":

I would like to take this opportunity to remind my young diners that "passing the rolls" is not a football play. Nor is it a request to bean your sister in the head with warm tasty bread. Oh, and one reminder for the adults: For the duration of the meal, and especially while in the presence of young diners, we will refer to the giblet gravy by its lesser-known name: Cheese Sauce. If a young diner questions you regarding the origins or type of Cheese Sauce, plead ignorance. Cheese Sauce stains your clothes, and it definitely will if you deviate from this.  Trust me on this one.

Oh, in case anyone is interested, clothing is not optional at our Thanksgiving table.  However, hats, sunglasses and headphones must be removed or you risk the certainty of me removing them for you.  We are here to give thanks, not to go incognito or practice our rap lyrics.  You’ll recognize me by the gravy stains on my sweater, the sweat dripping down my face, and the slash burns along my arms from reaching into the damn oven to get the turkey out.  Oh, and put away your phones or you might find them swimming in the gravy boat.  Did I say swimming?  I meant sinking.

Before I forget, there is one last change. Instead of offering a choice between 12 different scrumptious desserts, we will be serving the traditional pumpkin pie, garnished with whipped cream and small fingerprints or maybe they’re pawprints, you figure it out. You will still have a choice; take it or leave it.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 9
  • Haha 13

Good afternoon/evening.  I've been busy last few days with holiday prep.  @Cruising-along, you inspired me to work on my Christmas village.  And much like you, I said this year would just be a simple table-top tree and a wreath, but once I got into the boxes....well, one thing leads to another.  I'll post a pic of my village after a few more finishing touches.

@ger_77, your "Not Martha"  essay is very funny, and spot on.   

@St. Louis Sal, I'm so sorry about your loss of little Fritz.  Some dog friends definitely have that extra something special.  Sounds like your Fritz was one of those special friends.  Sad for you.  😞

@lazey1Jane, we're on that October 8 cruise as well.  It's a lovely itinerary.  Amazing how many of us chose that one.  You definitely would have plenty of company.  We booked it a long time ago, so no savings for us with the Black Friday sale.  Darn.

Thank you Rich and Company for the Daily.  Prayers for the care list and all best wishes for those celebrating.  Wishing everyone a very pleasant evening.

• Like 17

7 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning from Bass Lake, California. Yesterday’s drive through Yosemite was a wow moment.

We are staying in a beautiful lake view cabin with vintage appliances, antique furniture and it even has a pool table and working electrical arcade machine.  The charm of a log cabin.

Life is good. Thanks for the Daily.

@aliaschiefI'm glad you are enjoying your time in my state!  The Yosemite pictures are beautiful and the mountain cabin where you will be celebrating with family sounds perfect!  Thanks for sharing and continue to have a wonderful time!

~Nancy

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

@Seasick Sailor-- my post along with the offending post was removed from that thread.  I honestly didn't think I said anything that needed to be removed but I'm sure it was for the continuity of the thread.  Oh well, I keep telling myself it isn't worth it to reply to people like that so guess I should learn my lesson.

Regarding this and your post - if you quote an offending post and it is deleted so are those that quote it to remove the reference to the inappropriate  post.

5 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Time for another installment of Martha Stewart Isn't Coming For Thanksgiving:

I really needed this laugh - thanks 🙂 

Loved the paw prints on the next installment.  Thankfully ir han’r happened here yet although I’m sure Miko would like it to 🤣.  

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Thanks, everyone, for the congratulations on the Atlantic Coast cruise.   I've never done two cruises in one year and I'm still pinching myself.  I talked with my financial guy and he said to just let him know when he needed to release the money.  YES!   I am excited to be able to meet many of my Dailyite family.

Go for it - you have the go ahead and we only live once 🙂. Enjoy!

• Like 15

3 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Seeing everyone who is doing the Atlantic Coast cruise makes me almost want to give up my Southern Caribean Seafarer Thanksgiving 2022 cruise. I love the Atlantic Coast cruises and would love to tag along however I have never been to the ABC Islands and it will be on the Rotterdam.

Planning on booking the Rotterdam for Thanksgiving week 2022 as well. NA's Future Cruise office wasn't open today but is tomorrow afternoon. Was just waiting for the Crew Incentive to be included. 

• Like 11

Hi, All,

I worked for Martha's publisher for twenty years and had many opportunities to work with her here in the Seattle (WA) area. A delightful woman. I used to have to send her Walla Walla Sweet onions from the Pike Place Public Market in downtown Seattle. She could cook for me any time, any place and it would like Heaven.

Jim

• Like 15

Thanks for all the Daily reports, humour, recipes and photos.

@St. Louis Salsorry that your Fritz deteriorated so quickly, and crossed the rainbow bridge. 

@ger_77enjoyed your "Martha Stewart" tale.  Thank you.

It's a sunny day, temperature 18 C.

I have started to decorate  the Christmas Tree, so far the cat is again  ignoring the tree.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

@Cruising-along, you inspired me to work on my Christmas village.  And much like you, I said this year would just be a simple table-top tree and a wreath, but once I got into the boxes....well, one thing leads to another.  I'll post a pic of my village after a few more finishing touches.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!  And yes, one thing leads to another.  I even ordered 2 couch covers (one Christmas red, the other deep green)  because the couches are brand new and we'll have 4 children here ages 3-8!  Yes, I'm a worrier besides an over-decorator LOL!  They just arrived today and I'm quite happy with them!

I'm looking forward to seeing the photo of your village!

• Like 13

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

@lazey1Jane, we're on that October 8 cruise as well.  It's a lovely itinerary.  Amazing how many of us chose that one.  You definitely would have plenty of company.  We booked it a long time ago, so no savings for us with the Black Friday sale.  Darn.

Thank you Rich and Company for the Daily.  Prayers for the care list and all best wishes for those celebrating.  Wishing everyone a very pleasant evening.

Hey, Maxine!  We'll have a reunion!   I do not have the aft wrap suite for that cruise.  I have an inside cabin, but I'll turn the bow cam on if  you want to join me for sail away.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, dfish said:

Hey, Maxine!  We'll have a reunion!   I do not have the aft wrap suite for that cruise.  I have an inside cabin, but I'll turn the bow cam on if  you want to join me for sail away.

Yay to the reunion!  Hopefully we'll have more time to visit on a two-week cruise.  

That one-week Alaska run, first time out post-pandemic, was go, go, go and hectic -- but so much fun!  And the aft sailaway was perfection!  We'll see what we can cook up in October.  😍  

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!  And yes, one thing leads to another.  I even ordered 2 couch covers (one Christmas red, the other deep green)  because the couches are brand new and we'll have 4 children here ages 3-8!  Yes, I'm a worrier besides an over-decorator LOL!  They just arrived today and I'm quite happy with them!

I'm looking forward to seeing the photo of your village!

That's a really great idea about the festive couch covers. The children will have a great time and you'll be relaxed.  Just right!  😊

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

St. Louis Sal, so sorry to hear about Fritz. I understand completely. We lost our little daschund  4 years ago and still feel her missing. She died in  my husbands arms, but unfortunately not naturally. We had to put her down because she was suffering terribly. I kept wishing she would go in her sleep, but did not happen that way.

Love the Martha Stewart pieces.

We have also been to  St. Martin/ St Marten several times but not since the hurricane. My understanding is that Maho beach was completely destroyed. The kids loved it tho when we were there.

Our favorite beach is one on St Marten that is not so advertised. Sunset Beach. We like it better than the ones on Ste Martin because it is not on the ocean side and therefore warmer and less waves.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I don't think you did either Sharon. I'd bet $20 she reported it. Miss Snarky Pants.. 

Looking forward to meeting YOU and (Craig?) next month!

Probably!  I’ll ignore her from now on. 

Yes, I’m looking forward to meeting you and Allen also.  Craig will be at our Daily get together. If you see him out and about he’ll have a book with him, he never goes anywhere without one. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Seeing everyone who is doing the Atlantic Coast cruise makes me almost want to give up my Southern Caribean Seafarer Thanksgiving 2022 cruise. I love the Atlantic Coast cruises and would love to tag along however I have never been to the ABC Islands and it will be on the Rotterdam.

Jane, you know that you could do both right?  🤣 I would love to see you again. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

we're on that October 8 cruise as well.  It's a lovely itinerary.  Amazing how many of us chose that one.  You definitely would have plenty of company.  We booked it a long time ago, so no savings for us with the Black Friday sale.  Darn.

Maxine, I had no idea you were on this cruise. It’ll be wonderful to see you both again. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Regarding this and your post - if you quote an offending post and it is deleted so are those that quote it to remove the reference to the inappropriate  post.

Makes sense and I should have thought of that since I was a moderator back in the day on aol when they had message boards. 😉

• Like 7

1 hour ago, trivia addict said:

St. Louis Sal, so sorry to hear about Fritz. I understand completely. We lost our little daschund  4 years ago and still feel her missing. She died in  my husbands arms, but unfortunately not naturally. We had to put her down because she was suffering terribly. I kept wishing she would go in her sleep, but did not happen that way.

😢

• Like 4

12 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Love the Martha Stewart pieces.

We have also been to  St. Martin/ St Marten several times but not since the hurricane. My understanding is that Maho beach was completely destroyed. The kids loved it tho when we were there.

Our favorite beach is one on St Marten that is not so advertised. Sunset Beach. We like it better than the ones on Ste Martin because it is not on the ocean side and therefore warmer and less waves.

Here's a webcam on top of the Sunset Bar.  Click on webcam.  Looks nice there today.

http://sunsetsxm.com/plane-info/

• Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 9:33 AM, StLouisCruisers said:

Julia sorry to hear your eyes are still bothering you.  Fingers crossed you feel back to normal soon!

Hey, while the family is there maybe you could put them to work on your construction site, to work off some of those Thanksgiving calories.  🤣

Thank you so much. About the same today, so I'm just scrolling through a few things and then off again.

Lol... actually, DH asked DSIL to help him with a couple of heavy lifting jobs on Friday. 🙂😆

• Like 1