The Daily for Sunday November 28, 2021

richwmn

56 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It's cloudy here today but better than snow!  Sorry to hear the white stuff has appeared in some spots, including NE England Graham @grapau27!  Thanks to @richwmnfor our Daily, and much appreciation to @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  I am also adding Roy and Jacqui and Jose to the list for an extra dose of prayers.  By the way, I heard from John's wife Jean yesterday and she said they thought John was dying Thanksgiving Day.  He was unresponsive midday so the entire family came over to say goodbye.  Then around 3 am Friday he woke up and actually walked to the bathroom.  Their son is a doctor and said it was an especially dramatic turnaround.  So as of yesterday John was still hanging in there.  I'll keep you all informed.

Thanks also go to our food and beverage ladies Ann and Dixie, the dietary department chief Debbie, silly memes and laughs lady Jacqui and everyone else who contributes here each day.  The French Toast sounds delicious today.  Since I decorated instead of writing letters yesterday I will honor today by completing that task.  And a salute to Mars is in order as well.

I'm feeling not as concerned about the Omicron variant as I was since I read an article today with comments from the South African doctor who first raised concerns about the latest variant.  She says the symptoms are different and milder than original variants.  Muscle aches and fatigue mostly.  As long as elderly are vaccinated they should be okay so that is key.  I'm relieved she notified the world of this variant immediately instead of covering it up like the original Covid virus was, which caused it to spread unabated for months.  

We visited today's port of Cartagena in 2016 on Westerdam, which was only our second HAL cruise.  We took a tour that day so got to visit quite a few spots around the town.  If I can squeeze in a few photos with all the chores at hand this morning I will.  Have a wonderful day everyone!

I was a bit relieved to read that report.  My bigger concern is the reaction to the new variant.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm curious as to your itinerary changes.

The three ports that have been cancelled are St. Thomas, Key West and Nassau.

The three added are Amber Cove, Freeport and Bimini.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh my goodness!  Quite a change from what you signed up for.

Honestly, we will probably only get off the ship the two days we visit HMC. I just want to be on a ship again. 🙂

• Like 18

A diabetics nightmare-french toast, but I love it.  I make it with Panettone.  And only on Christmas these days.

I believe Martinique is not on the port list right now due to riots.  Seems that so few folks got vaccinated, that the island is doing a mandatory lock down, and the residents are not happy.  Lots of looting and burning, and upset people. So, not a safe place right now.

Mars, well Ray Bradbury wrote a great book -the Martian Chronicles, the theory is that we are all from Mars, and we left because of??? lack of water?  Maybe, it's been a while since i read it.  Memory is not as good as it used to be.

We are supposed to be walking at Stone Mountain Park this afternoon with friends.  We used to go daily with them for a walk, but they love to travel and camp, and last fall they decided Covid or not, they were going to go to see all the places they wanted to see before they died (they aren't even close, but today doesn't promise tomorrow) and so, we have only seen them about 5 times this past year.  It should be a nice afternoon, not warm, but warm with friendship.

I hope you all have a wonderful day,   

• Like 24

49 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I actually don't know.  @kazu added that to the list while I was in the hospital.

It was reported on one of the Live From/Nearly Live from threads.

If only the CC search function actually........functioned! 🙄

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone from an overcast day at the beach

The weather fits our moods today. My SIL  ( DH sister) passed away yesterday. She was doing so much better following the stroke but then on Friday started having mini strokes and then a major one yesterday . DH had just arrived home when we got the call.  So now off to Pennsylvania. Thank you all for the many prayers and @rafinmdyou can remove her from the care list . I appreciate everything.

Charlene

Charlene, I am so sorry. This has been such a difficult year for your family. Keeping you all in my prayers. 

Ann

• Like 18

11 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Honestly, we will probably only get off the ship the two days we visit HMC. I just want to be on a ship again. 🙂

I agree.  The cruise(s) we are taking in January are to ports we've been to many times.  Probably will only get of at HMC too.  Just want to be on a ship and enjoy the water.

• Like 15

47 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

The weather fits our moods today. My SIL  ( DH sister) passed away yesterday. She was doing so much better following the stroke but then on Friday started having mini strokes and then a major one yesterday . DH had just arrived home when we got the call.  So now off to Pennsylvania. Thank you all for the many prayers and @rafinmdyou can remove her from the care list . I appreciate everything.

Charlene

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news of your SIL passing.

Sending you, and your husband our deepest condolences.

Graham.

• Like 15

55 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Charlene

I'm so sorry to hear of  your loss.   Hugs and warm thoughts across the miles.  

• Like 15

Trying to post, hope this goes thru.

We got our third shot on Friday, no reactions. Vaccine site was busy as it was the first day in Ontario for 5 to 11 year olds.

Christmas tree is up, snow on the ground overnight.

prayers to all that need them and condolences to those that have lost a family member. It makes the holidays difficult.

be safe, wear a mask, wash your hands.  

27670B6E-4234-4B31-8F51-EFE9C3224F3C.jpeg

• Like 26

40 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Next we walked through the walled city to see the colonial homes, churches and squares.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIENlIxiZoPgR4y5J681AZ5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125724

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLfr6dPviQprLyccBSOMmLA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125726

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKIpKTaVXtvUuDGd_O26fQ9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125733

I love seeing the unique architecture of the old cities.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMHF1OGENPE12fvkZlOPLa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125750

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLx2zN7_nEg1MLkdbnZ9IEI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125745

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUMB90fDSHdDn2G5zOYMDR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125767

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKGrTGvJI01uEjqtawJi_dy?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125769

So pretty!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIiHaUWT9GL6hllPRND2kE0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125784

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTEFSWCL36AMJ5HAP9aBYY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125804

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJwrXXmIkT2l94ULZuQJijW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125812

I could do this type of tour all day.  This is one reason we try to do our own walking tours when the ship docks close to the Old Towns.  Not true in this case.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJVRWX8FOGl3ar0umrUfmz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125830

Interior of a small church for @HAL4NOW00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL0mURuqt7CZK2MM4SChkGY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125839

I love this woman's outfit00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL3016nu9e8aHbwrvsWprg4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1638109919

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJWB4PBi1CFap8sFdHP77Os?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125891

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVL0yD1Dfqlr2PNuez8_T757?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125903

After this cruise the Amazing Race included a stop in Cartagena and the task for the teams included finding some of these colorful bags with clues in them.  How exciting to realize I'd recently been there too.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKDDugrjLQqSXq2MpgoBbMX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125947

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ21VDLsBjBBmhaqbZU2Opp?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460125987

There's so many pictures!  I think I must stop now before you have overload!  I hope you enjoyed my pics of Cartagena!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLwgUXEmmyhdqUUvKNA2otq?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460126039

Brilliant photos of Cartagena.

They give a good feel of what it is like there.

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Himself said:

Thanks for both lists.  What ship is Sabine on these days?

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I actually don't know.  @kazu added that to the list while I was in the hospital.

Roy

I think it is the Koningsdam.  I believe it was zgscl who reported on his live thread but my memory may be short 😉

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

The weather fits our moods today. My SIL  ( DH sister) passed away yesterday. She was doing so much better following the stroke but then on Friday started having mini strokes and then a major one yesterday . 

I am so sorry to hear this Charlene 💔 Our deepest condolences  to you both and our prayers for her, her family and you and yours 🙏🏻 

18 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

It was reported on one of the Live From/Nearly Live from threads.

If only the CC search function actually........functioned! 🙄

Agree.  searching Sabine only gets you the Daily and she was specifically named when she was introduced.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Charlene

I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and your family. 

• Like 15

Good morning.  The collection of days is nice today.  I regularly correspond with a friend in Idaho.  It's a treat to see her letters in the mailbox.  Letter Writing Day is a good prompt to write to her.

Love French toast and all things P.G. Wodehouse.  I'll salute the Red Planet.

@dfish, glad to hear that you still have your company to enjoy.  The pork chops look wonderful today.

@grapau27, it's hard to reconcile the snowy pictures with the sunny beach ones you often post.  What a change!

@StLouisCruisers, thanks for all the photos of Cartegena.  We did a tour similar to yours.  I was going to post photos if nobody else did.  Yours, as usual, are way better than mine, so I won't post any.  We really enjoyed our day there.  It was colorful and memorable, although very, very rainy.  The water was high in the streets and our poor guide couldn't coax anybody to cross the street.  Most stayed by the bus.  We plowed on through with him, although the water probably was pretty germy.

Thanks also for sharing what you read about the new variant.  They kept saying how contagious it is, but nothing about how sick it makes you.  Good to hear it's not too bad.

@cunnorlCharlene, I'm very sorry for your loss.  Our condolences for you and your family.  You are in our prayers today, as are others on our care list and some who are private and reluctant to request prayers.  Loving thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Many thanks to all the contributors to the Daily.  Darby O'Gill and the Little People is an old favorite.  Thank you @Heartgrovefor bringing that to mind this morning. 😊

Everyone, have a lovely and safe Sunday. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

Good morning.  The collection of days is nice today.  I regularly correspond with a friend in Idaho.  It's a treat to see her letters in the mailbox.  Letter Writing Day is a good prompt to write to her.

Love French toast and all things P.G. Wodehouse.  I'll salute the Red Planet.

@dfish, glad to hear that you still have your company to enjoy.  The pork chops look wonderful today.

@grapau27, it's hard to reconcile the snowy pictures with the sunny beach ones you often post.  What a change!

@StLouisCruisers, thanks for all the photos of Cartegena.  We did a tour similar to yours.  I was going to post photos if nobody else did.  Yours, as usual, are way better than mine, so I won't post any.  We really enjoyed our day there.  It was colorful and memorable, although very, very rainy.  The water was high in the streets and our poor guide couldn't coax anybody to cross the street.  Most stayed by the bus.  We plowed on through with him, although the water probably was pretty germy.

Thanks also for sharing what you read about the new variant.  They kept saying how contagious it is, but nothing about how sick it makes you.  Good to hear it's not too bad.

@cunnorlCharlene, I'm very sorry for your loss.  Our condolences for you and your family.  You are in our prayers today, as are others on our care list and some who are private and reluctant to request prayers.  Loving thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Many thanks to all the contributors to the Daily.  Darby O'Gill and the Little People is an old favorite.  Thank you @Heartgrovefor bringing that to mind this morning. 😊

Everyone, have a lovely and safe Sunday. 

It was -2°C this morning and there was 2 inches of snow on top of ice on my car this morning and it took me 20 minutes to clear this before getting ready for church.

There was only 18 of us including David our vicar and the organist in church today for the first Sunday of Advent.

Father David WhatsApps us the sermon every Sunday morning which I WhatsApp to a CC friend in Texas.

The sermon is usually 4-5 minutes long and if anyone wants me to post it on here I will.

Graham.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I believe Sabine is on the Koningsdam. 

55 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

The three ports that have been cancelled are St. Thomas, Key West and Nassau.

The three added are Amber Cove, Freeport and Bimini.

St Thomas is on our December 22nd Rotterdam itinerary. I wonder if it will be changed. 

• Like 12

Good morning all!

We had more blustery wind last night, I hope more trees haven't come down.  I read that Sumas up north was under evacuation. 😞  

I love French Toast but haven't had any in ages.  In the past I wrote lots of letters (being a Navy wife, we met people all over, and back then it was how we kept in touch).  But over the years email came along, and then I broke a finger on my letter-writing hand, and it's just too painful (arthritis) to write much more than a line or two.  I do make a point to at least add a hand written line to the Christmas letter each year.

Mars is fascinating, the meal sounds delicious!  I need to see if we have any Bourbon though, it isn't something we usually have on hand. The wine and drink also sound great.  

@cunnorlI'm so sorry to hear of your SIL's passing.

@kazu add me to those praying for you and Jose. 

@HimselfCaptain O'Driscoll was our Captain on the Nieuw Statendam and did our vow renewal in 2019.  When we stopped in Cork all the townspeople came out to greet the ship.  Great Captain!

• Like 22