The Daily for Friday December 03, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, all! CC is letting me react AND post today. Yesterday it had me in read only mode! After the last few weeks in BC, we are acutely aware of the good fortune of having a roof over our heads! The meal sounds good, especially in this cold wet weather we have.

We went to Surabaya, Indonesia on the Volendam in 2016. Unfortunately the pictures are all buried on a hard drive somewhere.

The flood waters are receding in the Fraser Valley, and the Trans Canada Hwy into Chilliwack has reopened in both directions.The cold weather has set in, which won’t help clean up much, but at least it isn’t adding more water. Monday we go to our great niece’s performance in the Nutcracker. It’s an annual event and this is her graduation year, so it’s her final performance. We wouldn’t miss this one for hell or high water, both of which we’ve already had anyway.So we’re heading for the mainland this weekend. DS and BIL are flying in from Kelowna, as the one open road from the interior are still essential travel only. 
Happy Friday, and cheers to those on, boarding, or returning on, a BHB this weekend!

867ED4D6-A51E-4EC8-8DBC-5C105A6A2438.thumb.jpeg.ffb6edaff89c7dded034f688b3ca3cdd.jpeg

• Like 25

16 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@kazuThanks for the update.  Continued prayers for a full recovery.

14 minutes ago, summer slope said:

@kazuI have tears in my eyes reading about Jose.  So blessed to have that doctor on your side.

13 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

That’s wonderful, Jaquie! Christmas will indeed be a day to celebrate at your house!

Thanks so much. Christmas will be wonderful indeed if this works.

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Maddie is home safe! My neighbors just texted me!  When they woke up this morning, she was sleeping in her bed on their lanai. One of them snuck around the side and closed the lanai door, so she couldn’t escape. They said she just walked into the house as if nothing happened! 😎 Thanks to all of you for your words of hope & encouragement!

What a relief!  So glad to hear that Maddie is home safe & sound 👍 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

@kazu wonderful news!  I'm delighted for you and Jose!  Prayers for a full recovery.  What a gem of a doctor. 🙂  

@Cruzin TerriBon Voyage!!

@ger_77awesome video, thanks for sharing 🙂  

@dfishI too wonder how that guy got your email, and why the management didn't at least kick him out.  What nerve!

@cat shepardYay!  So happy Maddie is home again!

The recipes today all sound very good, but it will either be take-out or pizza tonight.  Will pass on the wine, have never been to Indonesia (thanks for photos!) and the drink sounds good.  Strange quote, all worthy days.

We're busy packing and preparing to leave early in the morning for the airport.  We'll be in NC for a week, and then with all our kids in CA for 5 days.  Will check in when I can.  I'm thankful I got the antibiotics for this sinus infection -- it's showing improvement after a few days and now I can fly tomorrow with less worry.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! First of all @kazu praises for the good news on Jose’s health status. 

Getting a late start here on the West Coast but not much happening other then house watching. Their dog seems happy to have folks tending to her needs. 

Plus, there is another book waiting to be read.

Thanks for the report and letting us know what’s happening in your world.

• Like 17

Jacqui @kazu we are very pleased and relieved to hear from you that Jose is in good hands and hopefully on his way to a full recovery with the help of his doctor and your care . 

I have been thinking of the two of you after I saw the alarming post a number of days ago , all the best wishes to Jose to be well soon .

• Like 16

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Great days. I'm grateful to have a roof over my head; sad for those who don't have that. Good bartenders are appreciated. People with disabilities have much to offer, despite their issues.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good and different. I'll pass on the wine, but the drink looks tasty.

I haven't been to Indonesia. Thanks for the pictures @Mtn2Sea.

Despite windy conditions yesterday, I got out and raked leaves. I didn't quite finish, as it started to rain. I was just out at 8:30 this morning finishing up, and the vacuum truck came by at 10. I also did prep yesterday for my Hutzelbrot German fruit bread. I got the dried fruits (pears, apricots and figs) soaked, then chopped. Also roasted the almonds and hazelnuts, then chopped them. Today I'll make the dough, mix in all the additions, and it goes in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow will be baking day.

BFF took off his eye bandage today. Doesn't look too bad to me, but he thinks it looks "nasty" (he doesn't tolerate looking at medical stuff too well, unlike me). The eye is sewn shut and now he puts antibiotic cream on it, and has to protect the area from the sun. I suggested he wear an old cataract shield over it at night, so he doesn't accidentally do something to the skin graft.

@Cruzin Terri Bon Voyage! Have a great time. Great sunrise pics.

@rafinmd Do you know how your travel agent is doing?

@kazu I'm so glad Jose's doctor was persistent and found a treatable issue. Prayers for his recovery and for strength for you.

@ger_77 Beautiful snowfall, if you don't have to drive anywhere!

@dfish Just wow on that guy at the pool. Thanks for today's recipes.

@cat shepard Yay on Maddie back at home! 

@Cruising-along Safe travels! I'm glad the antibiotics are making you feel better.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Do you care to share any details on the cruise?.

Roy

Hi Roy, we are sailing out of Tampa on the Dawn.  Our first stop is Key West, hopefully that happens but I have my doubts.  After a stop at their private island we will be in Aruba and Curaçao.  One stop was cancelled which is to be expected in these times.

What HAL does better precruise are the booking perks.  Free at Sea isn’t so free.  NCL tacks on gratuity for the “free” beverage package and the “free” dinners on the booking ahead of time.  Free wifi is for guest 1 and not guest 2.  Guest one gets 250 minutes or you can upgrade to unlimited.  The $50 off excursions is for Guest 1 only, guest 2 pays full rate.  To try and get an upsell/upgrade you must bid on the category but can’t select cabin.

What we liked is that they are testing at the pier.  If HAL offered this, even at a cost, we’d be sailing with them.

I’m trying to be positive and our friends think we will have a good time.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Well we had an 8:30 appointment for a Rapid Test. Pulled up five minutes early, sign on door  that they were closed unexpectedly! But read down further for those with an appointment (Sue and I) to call a phone number. A technician showed about 15-20 minutes later. We were told results around 9:30. Finally got them about about 11:15. Negative results so good to go.

We did have a backup plan for a test in San Diego tomorrow.

Sitting at the airport now for the first leg in about an hour.

- Jack

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

We had the pleasure while on the Volendam cruising from Sydney, Australia to Singapore to land in Semarang , Indonesia on Dec. 5th 2015 and have an incredible tour with Holland America to the Borobudur  a day we will not forget .

The day started off beautifully with a huge reception of about 3 large drum bands performing a great musical show and than give honours and flowers for our captain Jeroen Baijens and the first officers .

873799425_DSCN56322.thumb.JPG.ad1feb3083af06296b71d062374f8e83.JPG

DSCN5854.thumb.JPG.89e2349ea3ce940e180e1d1490fcb24d.JPG

DSCN5859.thumb.jpg.035007d90de7e3861d25ed04a56b5071.jpg

DSCN5862.thumb.JPG.b6c7340ac571329dc7f8c06b3261043f.JPG

DSCN5867.thumb.JPG.2be19e56c8976a8ee5259a82af43f915.JPG

With the help of the Tourist Police who with howling sirens and 4 policemen waving their
arms to the sides to move over the very busy traffic to the sides of the roads sometimes almost into the ditch so our bus could drive fast through the middle of the road .

DSCN5884.thumb.jpg.0d5bc70e551309e04e13e43f0aeaa44c.jpg

A very exciting ride just to get to the Borobudur ! 
DSCN5886.thumb.jpg.19b24237fac51b9dfafaac235d4c43d8.jpg

This was not just a short run it took if I remember well over an hour , I can still hear the sirens ........

DSCN5888.thumb.JPG.00a9c89e3cdddaaa86c8a31c2f2ca6e4.JPG

A friendly wave when we arrived at the Borobudur  , job well done guys ! 

We had to put on our sarongs while I wore my newly purchased Bali shirt to go onto the temple grounds . ( Temp 33 C or 92 F ) 

DSCN5894.thumb.JPG.32d857a452508e71f03581767daeec98.JPG

DSCN5955.thumb.JPG.8c2ad835d97a552ebc6e7bcdb249ed64.JPG

DSCN5905.thumb.JPG.6bcdcb13c5cbbceddb0ca8391c1392d6.JPG

IMG_1811.jpg.4a4ba44f762f7474e045e070e22acde5.jpg

DW thought these young ladies wanted her to take their picture but she was pulled in to the group to have a picture taken with them ! 

DSCN5907.thumb.JPG.a1b9adff3dcf1096bcd736f8a29e818a.JPG

865925202_IMG_18112.jpg.1c7f2d818ff4925d481c985f0e02e1a8.jpg

Climbing higher and higher up the temple .

516639457_DSCN59102.thumb.JPG.672b1534b631cf521c925e5ab80f3bef.JPG

DSCN5919.thumb.jpg.a8245b7921ce2cc3bedf86d9eb786566.jpg

DSCN5929.thumb.JPG.0040528412c0d1fe743f36f20b819db8.JPG

DSCN5942.thumb.jpg.d60bc6c28f2b91c2bc38604b6b9780d7.jpg

DSCN5932.thumb.JPG.6ed5e0e4387932fa05a63112262241fe.JPG

DSCN5953.thumb.JPG.3c771a3a0b4255b718bcd05c3a3a0ceb.JPG

Will follow up in a separate post with pictures of our return to the port including the train ride  .

Tony 
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Well, good morning all, and thanks for all the lovely pictures and information.  We have only been to Jakarta in Indonesia, we stayed there at the Borobudur (Hotel) , so does that count?  My Irish DMIL used to make a stew something like today's recipe, but lots of red wine.  Maybe that was the Irish version, or she could have used Guinness;  I'll have to look up the recipe.

Jacqui, we are so happy to hear that Jose is getting treated and we hope he gets better really quickly.  We could tell how worried you have been for him.  

I hope there are no kittens in Maddie's future...😉  Glad she made it back home.

We are still planning to head south on Monday, the BC news says the land border restrictions have not changed, so we are hoping we can get across.  If not, we'll  come back home, but there are a lot of packages in DD's mailbox in Blaine waiting for pickup.  And I do have designs on Trader Joe's!   Hoping we can stay ahead of omicron and make it back safely...

• Like 20

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Thankfully, DH’s doctor knew the rapid decline was too swift so she went looking for zebras instead of horses when she heard the hoof beats.  She ordered a very rare test which revealed a problem which should be fixable. He is now on the regimen and with luck and God’s help, he’ll be his old self in a few weeks 🙏🏻 

So, today I am very grateful to you all for your prayers and to God for listening and answering.  

6F74516C-BD4D-42C9-86EB-E6A4B6FF248C.jpeg.a678e3d20530af30669392efb0990304.jpeg

Excellent news that the problem has been identified and is fixable. I will be praying for a rapid and complete recovery for your DH and peace for yourself.

Jane

• Like 9

Good morning and thanks all! 
@kazu wonderful news, I will pray the new regimen works!  I am so glad you have such a good doctor!  
@dfish unbelievable!  Hope someone spoke to him and he came to his senses.  It is so difficult to deal with people who are not rational. 

Nice to see  the photos  of the port!  The snow, well it is beautiful and passed through here on It’s way, lol! 

Happy weekend! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 15

Hi all,

Many thanks to @JazzyV, @Cruising-along, @summer slope, @cat shepard, @TiogaCruiser, @puppycanducruise, @kazu and all who expressed support for my encounter yesterday at the pool.   A couple of things:

• He got my email because I know him from some organizations in town that we both belong to.   
  • In the past he has been a very nice and considerate person.
  • When it became obvious that he wasn't going to move, I told the pool staff I would take the next lane, although not optimum, in order to not create a scene.  They would have had to get in the water and physically drag him out.  
  • He was pretty obnoxious to me, which is out of character for him.  
  • I think he really thought he had a reservation, although he's given me three different versions of how he reserved the lane - that morning at the main desk, last week online and last Tuesday.  

This is what leads me to think there might be a physical problem going on with him.  Since his behavior yesterday was way out character, it made me think of high blood sugar or early dementia.  That is the process that I was mentioning.  I also think he can't hear well and may not have understood what they were saying to him.  He kind of fits under today's heading of disabled.  If any of what I was suspecting is true, he is having a harder time than I am, especially if it is a form of dementia.  There but for the grace of God go I.  

@cat shepardHow wonderful that Maddie has come home.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

Since his behavior yesterday was way out character, it made me think of high blood sugar or early dementia.  That is the process that I was mentioning.  I also think he can't hear well and may not have understood what they were saying to him.  He kind of fits under today's heading of disabled.  If any of what I was suspecting is true, he is having a harder time than I am, especially if it is a form of dementia.  There but for the grace of God go I.  

I appreciate the way you are graciously giving the benefit of doubt and deferring to his better self. May God bless you for that and help you to maintain a spirit of love.

• Like 19

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We have had baeckeoffe a dozen times in our travels. I love the dish that has wine, leeks, juniper berries, pork, lamb, and melt in your mouth beef. It comes in it's own tureen and has lots of juice. We stayed in Colmar, France, Avignon, the vineyards and all along the south of France, then traveled by train up to Paris for a week. I gained 11 pounds in 6 weeks.. 

The wine marinade gives the meat such a great flavor.  When I make it, I generally just use beef and pork.  You can get the ceramic dishes that are typical for baeckeoffe in Soufflenheim.  I know people who have bought several and had them shipped.

Whenever I went to visit my sister in Strasbourg we would take a trip down to Colmar and spend the day just walking around Centre Ville.  I have some pottery from Colmar that I love.  The other place we always went was Eguisheim.   Our favorite winery was there and the curtain stores.  I really like Alsatian white wines, but it is very difficult to find them here in the US.  Like almost impossible.  We also enjoyed Riquewihr.   There are many small towns that are totally charming along the route des vins.

• Like 14

6 hours ago, kazu said:

. He is now on the regimen and with luck and God’s help, he’ll be his old self in a few weeks 🙏🏻 

Very happy to hear your DH has a diagnosis and is on the mend.  Sending positive thoughts. Sounds like he has a very caring doctor.

• Like 11

Return to the Port of Semarang from the Borobudur .
Because of the very busy traffic between the Port and the Temple we still had the Police with us to direct everybody over and make way for us . 

DSCN5959.thumb.jpg.c6accdf67a092f4bea4933c23b535358.jpg

DSCN5962.thumb.JPG.c37c0cd56c5a2f0d2c233172f8d47b97.JPG

We made a nice stop along the road for some refreshments , a Wayang puppet show  and than went to the train museum to catch our ride through the countryside towards Semarang 

DSCN5970.thumb.JPG.bcfa01512ac5373d728a114deaedb337.JPG

DSCN5981.thumb.JPG.7edc38c6909c8fdc7e4967cddf5ceb62.JPG

DSCN5982.thumb.jpg.761ef8319eae169960596a61b1545b45.jpg

DSCN5976.thumb.JPG.358c7bc6d79a3a8482441e8d016c640c.JPG

DSCN5994.thumb.jpg.18efabeac283c221d6c6e96abcfb0c87.jpg

DSCN6001.thumb.JPG.174d7a2df57bb92341c64cf66e2061a0.JPG

DSCN6004.thumb.JPG.68901646eefe3719c673d8362836c9b7.JPG

DSCN5999.thumb.JPG.ca8616da9cf35661d3f71ae7924daff3.JPG

DSCN6006.thumb.JPG.837c257453fb86ffbc473ad9c0b6ebc7.JPG

DSCN6011.thumb.JPG.2c0856fe6dd2543d40672ff8c7cb4d4d.JPG

DSCN6013.thumb.JPG.1ce4e022776eb61fb3d574176470878f.JPG

IMG_1865.jpg.a3008568f99c3314da5542ffd91333fa.jpg

DSCN6019.thumb.JPG.64f664d8257e574faf2576b8af4ef24f.JPG

IMG_1874.jpg.b16b524ef856533952fd4c90051cee35.jpg

DSCN6016.thumb.JPG.b2ad80d948c661fc7a719591bdbcc384.JPG

DSCN6025.thumb.jpg.39bfd27ca142bc2162c5ce610201a4e8.jpg

Time for a delicious cup of Soto Ayam  ( Indonesian Chicken Noodle Soup )  served up around the Lido Pool 

DSCN6027.thumb.JPG.7af4bca7ff6570c8baaa3eb8a1c8177a.JPG

What a wonderful day had in Semarang , Indonesia 

Tony 😄😄
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A warm day here today. (70's)

The meal sounds good. Thank you, Debbie @dfish, for the recipes. I'm sorry you had the experience at the pool yesterday. I do admire how you are handling it and hope the man is okay.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, I hope your travel to Florida is going smoothly and that you have a terrific weekend with your family.

@cat shepard happy to hear Maddie returned home.

@rafinmd Roy, I have also been wondering how your treatment is going and how your TA is doing.

@kazu Jacqui, thankful that the doctor found the cause and a possible treatment for Jose.

@smitty34877 I did post a picture late last night. I will try to post more before and after pictures room by room every so often.

More work on the deck was done this morning. DMIL and I took all the old wood planks from the deck to the garage yesterday and today. I have also started packing. Our tests are scheduled for Thursday morning.

Prayers for all those traveling and getting ready to travel whether by sea or land. Safe travels and enjoy.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@dfishYou are a kind and generous person to accept that there are underlying reasons for that man's behaviour. 

30 years in a classroom of teenagers taught me to look for underlying reasons.  Sometimes they are physical and sometimes they are psychological.  In both instances the person is hurting.

Ok, I can't believe I did this.  I just called and booked a cruise for my sister and me over Christmas 2022.  That will make 3 cruises for next year.  I usually go every other year.  

• Like 20

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

30 years in a classroom of teenagers taught me to look for underlying reasons.  Sometimes they are physical and sometimes they are psychological.  In both instances the person is hurting.

Ok, I can't believe I did this.  I just called and booked a cruise for my sister and me over Christmas 2022.  That will make 3 cruises for next year.  I usually go every other year.  

I find that more often than not it is a good way to look at things.My work was different but I was always aware  that when people are ill,all sorts of  behaviors  are seen.I give you a lot of credit for how you handled it.

Congrats  on the Christmas  cruise!We are trying to talk DB and DSIL into a cruise  for the same time frame but so far they are not on board with it.

• Like 12