The Daily for Thursday December 09, 2021

richwmn

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi everyone!  DH and I arrived in Cincinnati a little delayed due to mechanical issues but safe and sound.  Shortly thereafter our DGD Ashley arrived at the airport to pick us up.  At about that time we got a message from DH's sister from St. Louis.  She was rushing over to the nursing home because she got an urgent message that the end was near for DMIL.  When they arrived moments later she had just taken her last breath.  So DMIL passed away at around 11 am eastern time.  It's hard even though expected.  🙏

Now trying to figure out the date for a funeral service and burial with our kids and grandkids and have come up with next Saturday.  But DH's sister is not happy since she wants to go to Disney in Orlando for two weeks leaving tomorrow morning.  Looks like she will be coming back home to St. Louis halfway through her vacation.  She has no children so no worries there.  But I'd say your own Mother's funeral is pretty important!  Sorry for the inconvenience, Sis.  Sheesh!

Hoping for better news today from Jacqui.  🙏

Prayers winging to all of  your  loved ones and  you.

Jim.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

More thanks for all the condolences.  Very much appreciated.  We are picking out flowers and prayer cards including verses, etc. all by cell phone.  SIL sends photos and we all decide.  We'll get this done.

Thanks to @cunnorl, @Mtn2Sea, @JazzyV, @summer slope, @bennybear, @dobiemom, @nancynana9950 and @irishjim for all your support and love.

• Like 15

Pretty sunset tonight!

I will try to edit after posting, since anything I try to do before posting makes it look like the sky is falling!😱 Well that didn’t work either. 

7902F362-290B-4538-B715-B47100FDC0E8.thumb.jpeg.b36b9d8e96d9d3e4f8cbba4566089e1b.jpeg

And my roof is done! Final inspection tomorrow, then the pool solar panels go back up. This local company is amazing. They even cleaned out debris from the pool, the deck furniture and the deck pavers! Little tiny specks that fell through the deck screening. 

And Bindi is home from the spa!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Some fairly happy news for me.  I booked a cruise today.  Not a BHB.  I have a number of credits to work off and I booked Enchantment of Seas 8 days out of Baltimore for mid-February.  4 ports, Charleston, Canaveral, Nassau, and Freeport but I'll take it.  I have another credit from Royal (for 2 cruises on Empress OTS last year, a ship I loved but sadly sold off.  I also have major credits from Crystal and Cunard.  I'm happy to be starting off gradually.

It's been very rough for my TA.  She is recovering very well from the esophageal blockage but had a fall in the recovery room and has a huge hematoma on her leg which makes it almost impossible to stand. 

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

9 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Some fairly happy news for me.  I booked a cruise today.  Not a BHB.  I have a number of credits to work off and I booked Enchantment of Seas 8 days out of Baltimore for mid-February.  4 ports, Charleston, Canaveral, Nassau, and Freeport but I'll take it.  I have another credit from Royal (for 2 cruises on Empress OTS last year, a ship I loved but sadly sold off.  I also have major credits from Crystal and Cunard.  I'm happy to be starting off gradually.

It's been very rough for my TA.  She is recovering very well from the esophageal blockage but had a fall in the recovery room and has a huge hematoma on her leg which makes it almost impossible to stand. 

Roy

I'm happy to hear you're going to be back on the seas again, and in the not too distant future, too!

Your poor TA, she just can't catch a break!  Poor thing; hope she recovers from both soon!!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Wonderful news about your cruise !But sorry to hear of your TA's troubles post surgery.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

That's wonderful news, Roy -- after you've been through so much.  Our first transatlantic was on sister ship Legend.  Good ships!  

I'm sorry your TA is having such difficulties, but very happy for you, nonetheless.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@JazzyV, yes it was Campbell’s, and I completely forgot to hunt for it.   She had been looking forward to it.  We picked up 8 of her parcels at her mailbox in Blaine,  there is still one to go, so we suggested she go down when the parcel arrives and try a quick visit to Cost Cutters!  She is nervous as she hasn’t had her booster yet.  

• Like 11

Two more sleeps until we catch our flight to FLL!  As you can guess, it’s been a busy day.  Need to fill out our mandatory health questionnaire but HAL won’t let me log in.  Oh well.  No sense dwelling on something out of my control.

@Crazy For Cats, your pictures are lovely.  Were there really protestors or were they all the happy welcome faces you shared with us?  I would hate to think there were protestors.  ☹️

@grapau27, my sister and cousins live in Yorkshire so guess where I’ve spent some happy times?  

29F5AA2B-6DB0-4BF0-9FC5-C948CC1A219E.thumb.jpeg.a0c0c15cf503bce4156381710589a0b7.jpeg

807F42B6-8E42-4D56-9E42-6FB579941DF1.thumb.jpeg.7aa190bf706f29a529e27a3607227b49.jpeg

3C1C33DF-F925-48C2-8C8A-B5DAAD0D5950.thumb.jpeg.bf71d2daa5a75345426526652dd614ac.jpeg

2764B19D-3044-4E4D-B836-048A5F231B70.thumb.jpeg.94accc2f4163062f6ff669523f5e76c1.jpeg

@StLouisCruisers and @aliaschief.  I am very sorry to hear of your sad news. 

@kazu, I hope you are hearing good news and are able to get some rest.  My heart goes out to you and to everyone else dealing with life’s difficulties. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good evening, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

A big salute to Veterinarians. I only send a few Christmas cards these days and will mail them out tomorrow. I love pastries, but don't make them which is probably a good thing.

I like the quote. The meal sounds good and I agree with @dfish, Debbie, about cutting back the corn and adding brussel sprouts.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, my condolences on your family's loss. Praying for comfort and peace for all of you.

@grapau27, Graham, beautiful pictures as always.

@kazu, Jacqui, thinking of you and praying for you and Jose.

@rafinmd, Roy, terrific news that you have a cruise booked.

@marshhawk your story made me laugh. Thank you.

DH and I had our Covid tests this morning and are awaiting the results. We then went to the library to check out a couple of books each just to make sure we have reading material.

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Interesting collection of days and I love the quote.

Extra prayers for Jacqui and Jose for strength and healing.

Yesterday I started making plans for a family only birthday party for Sam early next month. I hired a caterer for a home brunch and helped my LA grandson make plane reservations from Newark back home that day since he has to be at work the next morning. It will be the first part time all five grandsons will be together since my big birthday party in June of 2019.

Im very excited to be doing this.

Stay well and safe everyone,

Carol

Carol, it sounds like a great family party. I know you will enjoy your five grandsons as well as the rest of your family.

9 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Greetngs, everyone.  Haven't been posting in the Daily threads lately but I try to read them.

Have to finish packing later, do my nails, do my eMed test, then off to FLL tomorrow.  Can't believe after having that 23-month gap in cruising that I'm sailing again in under a month.  Looking forward to checking out the (minor) differences between the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

Also hoping my cruise friends, who are joining me for the 5-night portion only, will like HAL.  They're in the early 70s but absolutely love Carnival.  Hoping they won't be bored.

Appears we'll be the first ship to call at Grand Turk when we're there on Monday.  I'm not a big fan, but we've had several itinerary changes already for this sailing, so I think most are hoping it won't change again.

I hope to get to meet you next week.

6 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Today’s ornament is courtesy of our favorite ship, the Veendam.  I sure wish she was still in the fleet. 

4AA08038-DAC7-4326-B001-8B39E67E50D4.thumb.jpeg.385ff95058b27a6afa2f4fc07d50ade3.jpeg

And I forgot to add this picture of the Danish Kringle earlier:
575EEA8A-5014-4FE1-AB1D-F39834716C92.thumb.jpeg.560d9373c2a9e98a31a0aca07da59abf.jpeg

Nothing better than having it on my HAL plate:

25D0FF63-5B09-45A5-BCA6-8154946B47A4.thumb.jpeg.74eb9d4e82f108fd20310f4661c699d0.jpeg

I love the ornament and the pastry looks delicious.

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

While I'm relaxing on our balcony, I thought I'd share a few pictures of the Christmas decorations around the ship.

The modern Christmas tree in B B King

20211208_105334_HDR.thumb.jpg.25ba14da4293f35dacaacb03bbc5a323.jpg

The Dutch Café

20211206_200106_HDR.thumb.jpg.14c581c67e76f3bb7679ac96d1373e17.jpg

These giant ornaments are around the Lido Pool and under the stairs on deck 2.

20211208_110548_HDR.thumb.jpg.474d1204805408b82f3923a6c60635a8.jpg

20211208_105523_HDR.thumb.jpg.8f517b2db8328db26ba74adad1dc4388.jpg

The Gingerbread Houses are in the Atrium outside the Dutch Café.

20211209_102101_HDR.thumb.jpg.4e8c6075122bc6c09c0bc0954457be64.jpg

Lenda

Lenda, awesome pictures. Thank you for sharing. I can't wait to see how the Nieuw Amsterdam is decorated.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Today’s ornament is courtesy of our favorite ship, the Veendam.  I sure wish she was still in the fleet. 

4AA08038-DAC7-4326-B001-8B39E67E50D4.thumb.jpeg.385ff95058b27a6afa2f4fc07d50ade3.jpeg

And I forgot to add this picture of the Danish Kringle earlier:
575EEA8A-5014-4FE1-AB1D-F39834716C92.thumb.jpeg.560d9373c2a9e98a31a0aca07da59abf.jpeg

Nothing better than having it on my HAL plate:

25D0FF63-5B09-45A5-BCA6-8154946B47A4.thumb.jpeg.74eb9d4e82f108fd20310f4661c699d0.jpeg

Sharon, I have those plates, too.  On our Alaska cruise, we kept going from restaurant to restaurant trying to snag a set, and each time, they said, "Go try so and so."  Finally in MDR the waiter told us he would have them delivered to our room.  No dice.  We then set the Neptune concierge on the hunt for us.  Nope.  Sold out in every location onboard.  So first thing on Cal Coast cruise, we bought our coveted plates.

So silly.  But now they are real treasures!

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, I'm very happy you booked a cruise.  👍  

I hope your TA recovers without further mishaps. 

Lenda

• Like 9

Thanks for all the daily reports, recipes and photos. Have been to South Africa, but not to East London.

@StLouisCruiserscondolences on the loss of your DMIL. You will have so many precious memories to treasure.

@Quartzsite Cruiserlove seeing the photos of decorations on the ship, thank you.

@rafinmdRoy, we are so pleased that you have another cruise booked. Will give you plenty to think about during the remainder of your treatments.

Is your TA still in hospital?

@kazu hope that Jose is improving, and that you are allowed to spend time with him. 

It's a cloudy day.with a little breeze,  temperature16 C.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

That is great news Roy.  Congrats

Roy  you  deserve this  cruise I wish  you a very happy  cruise  and good

health.

Jim.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi everyone!  DH and I arrived in Cincinnati a little delayed due to mechanical issues but safe and sound.  Shortly thereafter our DGD Ashley arrived at the airport to pick us up.  At about that time we got a message from DH's sister from St. Louis.  She was rushing over to the nursing home because she got an urgent message that the end was near for DMIL.  When they arrived moments later she had just taken her last breath.  So DMIL passed away at around 11 am eastern time.  It's hard even though expected.  🙏

Now trying to figure out the date for a funeral service and burial with our kids and grandkids and have come up with next Saturday.  But DH's sister is not happy since she wants to go to Disney in Orlando for two weeks leaving tomorrow morning.  Looks like she will be coming back home to St. Louis halfway through her vacation.  She has no children so no worries there.  But I'd say your own Mother's funeral is pretty important!  Sorry for the inconvenience, Sis.  Sheesh!

Hoping for better news today from Jacqui.  🙏

So sorry for your loss @StLouisCruisers

This hasn’t been a very good week for you. You and your family are in my prayers. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Final Jeopardy Question for today.  Rule is you can’t answer if you saw the show.  Go!

DUBBED “THE GREATEST CONSTRUCTION SHOW ON EARTH”, WHEN COMPLETED IT CONNECTED MINNESOTA TO MONTREAL

What are the Soo Locks?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Final Jeopardy Question for today.  Rule is you can’t answer if you saw the show.  Go!

DUBBED “THE GREATEST CONSTRUCTION SHOW ON EARTH”, WHEN COMPLETED IT CONNECTED MINNESOTA TO MONTREAL

What is the St Lawrence Seaway?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1