The Daily for Tuesday 12/21/2021

richwmn

11 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good afternoon everyone. @kazu... good to hear from you. Hope things will improve both healthwise and weatherwise.

That quote is very confusing. I have not been to Israel.... another thing onto the Bucket list. Dinner tonight will be out with my niece and her family. They will leave tomorrow early to get well ahead of a predicted snow storm. The kids are being taken sledding today - considered a big treat by little Californians. They are already talking about returning next summer to ride the train, go horseback riding and generally enjoy themselves. Not sure Dad is onboard with all this.

Bandit and I are working on clearing out a closet that has been a major "I'll deal with that later" depository for a few years. My handyman did come back and got my blind taken care of by switching the one from the spare room into my bedroom. At least I don't have to worry about the neighbors. And I have made peace with my TV although I do need to start looking for a new one. Taking things slow!!!

Take care all.

Susan

Susan, enjoy meeting your niece and her family tonight for dinner.  Wishing them safe travels and missing the predicted snowstorm.

Lenda

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@kazu  Jacqui, it was good to hear from you.  As always, I enjoyed the memes. 

Please don't worry about missing celebrations, best wishes and condolences.  Your Daily family understands that you have enough on your plate to add us to the mix everyday.  Your first priority is to take care of Jose and to take care of yourself so you can help Jose.  

Sending both of you positive thoughts and big hugs.

Lenda

+1.

Graham.

• Like 12

@kazu  What a delightful surprise to see your post complete with memes.  That was certainly a mood booster.

As for the quote, I looked it up and it might make more sense in context with the full statement.

“To go fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of sun on blue water. It brings meekness and inspiration from the decency of nature, charity toward tackle-makers, patience toward fish, a mockery of profits and egos, a quieting of hate, a rejoicing that you do not have to decide a darned thing until next week. And it is discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish.”

• Like 14
  • Thanks 11

I believe I have the answer to the Hoover quote. President Hoover was an avid fly fisherman, and loved to go up into the mountains to fish. I think he meant that it didn't matter to the fish if you were rich or poor, the chances of catching one was equal.

Here is a winter solstice blessing for you (my apologies to those in the Southern Hemisphere!)

FB_IMG_1640115787721.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Thanks everybody for the thoughts and prayers and insight.  I did get to meet with the dietician yesterday and we're a bit more relieved as we mistakenly thought we had to limit potassium as much as we could (almost impossible as everything has potassium), but now we know we're allowed to stay within a reasonable range.  However, we were mistaken with the nephrologist, that appointment is not until mid-February, not the end of this month as we first thought.  Will wait until after that before booking anything, so we got some time to think about what we want to do.  Bottom line though is Dad's condition has stabilized for now.  

The main concern over the next couple of weeks is the freezing weather they are predicting, it's looking less and less likely we'll be able to go out to see family on Christmas Day, they are 70 miles away, too far; the host said she's okay with rescheduling.  We're well stocked on food and necessities, but I'm going to be doing another run early Thursday morning.  I don't know how far south the low temps will go, but I believe Las Vegas is going to drop to the 30's a couple of nights, that's kinda nippy for them. 

So bundle up everybody in the northern states and Canada! 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

My parents took my husband and I on a Holy Land Tour of Jordan and Israel in March 1985. I was facinated looking at the photos posted today and got out my scrapbook to relive our journey. This was a land trip and we never got to the seaports.

So much of what we saw has been built up that  there are very few places that I would have recognized. The Baptismal Site and Megiddo appear unchanged. One of the things that our guide told us was "most sites had churches that were built origionally by the Byzantines, rebuilt by the Romans, rebuit by the Crusaders, desecrated by the Muslims and now partially restored. To me it is obvious that the restoration was ongoing for a long time.

Jane

• Like 20

15 minutes ago, summer slope said:

I have a question for you. If the ship is doing an overnight can you roam the port all night?  Seriously I would like to stand on the bridge in curaçao and not worry about missing the ship. 

Generally yes UNLESS it's a tender port where the tenders are not likely to run all night.  Should be possible in Curacao.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Am I just dumb?  What does that quote mean?

😀

Ok it has taken me a long time to guess at a meaning that might make sense.

You may be rich and powerful and I might be poor and a laborer, but you do not have any advantage over me when fishing.  

But I am open to any other suggestions. 

Ann

• Like 16

Jacqui @kazuit was nice hearing from you today.  Sending good thoughts your way, and prayers for both you and Jose.  2022 has to be a better year!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiseryour photos of your tour are similar to some from our day spent in Haifa.  We went to the Church of St. Joseph instead of the Cana Church.  Did you have lunch at the River Jordan in the restaurant?  I have photos of DH's fish dinner which surprised him because the fish was whole, head, tail and all.  I don't remember what I had but it definitely wouldn't be the fish!  Thanks for presenting all your photos today.  They turned out very nice.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Any Bald Eagle fans…. Our Florida eagles have eggs!  

Obviously the Southern eagles are further along. They have even posted a countdown to each egg’s hatching. 

https://www.dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html

Our Northern eagles just laid their eggs in the past few days. Last year, one did not hatch. Hope this year is different. 

https://nefleaglecam.org/

Enjoy!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jacqui @kazuit was nice hearing from you today.  Sending good thoughts your way, and prayers for both you and Jose.  2022 has to be a better year!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiseryour photos of your tour are similar to some from our day spent in Haifa.  We went to the Church of St. Joseph instead of the Cana Church.  Did you have lunch at the River Jordan in the restaurant?  I have photos of DH's fish dinner which surprised him because the fish was whole, head, tail and all.  I don't remember what I had but it definitely wouldn't be the fish!  Thanks for presenting all your photos today.  They turned out very nice.

Thanks for the comments on the pictures.  

No, we didn't eat there since we don't eat lunch as a rule   We prefer to spend our time touring. 

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Obviously the Southern eagles are further along. They have even posted a countdown to each egg’s hatching. 

Our Northern eagles just laid their eggs in the past few days. Last year, one did not hatch. Hope this year is different. 

Enjoy!

Thanks for the information on the eagles.  Hope all the eggs hatch this year.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good evening everyone and Happy Tuesday!!  

We arrived in Ft Lauderdale 2:30 pm local time and we are freezing. Our apps say it’s 74 but maybe it’s the humidity plus the rain. And the hotel is cold. The HAL rep was nowhere to be seen at the airport for our transfer. After waiting a bit both of us started searching out phone numbers and even asked for them to be paged. But, no, no paging system so after an hour of waiting Craig finally had a HAL phone rep on the line who told him that we should take a taxi and save the receipt to be reimbursed later by Guest Services. 

Right now we are at dinner at an Italian restaurant. Since we got up at 2:45 am we are tired and will call it an early night. 

Onboard the Rotterdam tomorrow!  

Have a great evening everyone!

• Like 22

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Enjoy!

Our local eagles are just doing "nestorations". They don't usually lay eggs until February, then we watch the parents get snowed on as they sit on the eggs. Last year the one pair closest to me had 3 eggs and all hatched. We've had some years where one or one time both eggs didn't, and it was sad. One year the nesting tree blew down in a storm, but luckily the parents and baby were ok. There's a new live eagles cam at a US Steel plant, about 6 miles from the one near me, which just went live today.

• Like 10

I am at my hotel and my covid test result is negative!  Next hurdle is to cross the border without being randomly selected for another.  Stopped to pick up a few requests for the Canadians; some things they can’t get there.  I’ve left two bottles of champagne in the trunk of the car so I’m hoping they’ll survive the evening.  That would be a costly mistake though I think I’ve got them safely swaddled.  Fingers crossed.

@kazu, it was lovely to see you posting.  Stay safe in the snow!  🌨

• Like 14

I hope you who are cruising tomorrow have a wonderful time on the cruise.  Based on the Health news today, even if you float around and go nowhere, it will be better than being at home being bombarded with bad news.

Thank you @JazzyV for the information about our brain shrinking as we age, no wonder I cant remember stuff.  No where left in the brain to retain it.

Actually DH fell several years ago (chemo, cramps and meds) and smacked his head on the pavement out side of Macy's.  He permanently lost his vison in his right eye.  Had brain damage, (getting better) and was hospitalized for a week.  Moral of the story, your brain does rattle around the older you get. I can laugh at it now, but couldn't for a long time.  So best to your cousin @VictOriann, it is hard when family cant be with you when you are alone injured and scared.

I'm loving the pictures of the Holy land.  Thank you all for posting.  Well it's Tuesday night, time to take the neighbors dog out (puppy's mommy plays pool) and it's cold out!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, dobiemom said:

@Cruzin Terri is the email in your signature correct? I sent you an email on Sunday. If not, could you please email me at born2tvl at yahoo dot com? Thanks! 🙂

My email is correct. I will look in my spam.  If not, I will send you a message.  Sorry I did not get it, but I have not looked in my Spam.’

Terri

• Like 6

Good evening everyone.

@StLouisCruisers today must be the day for catching credit card fraud.  My sister had a charge on her credit card from Amazon that was incorrect.   She had a devil of a time convincing them she did not have an account with them.   They kept asking for the email associated with her account and she kept saying she didn't have an account.  Finally she gave them her email and then they said there was no account associated with that email.  She said that was because she didn't have an account.   They finally said they would refund the charge.  It was for Amazon Prime.  If she doesn't have an account, why would she want Amazon Prime?   

• Like 9

Evening greetings Dailyites! You all have been busy today — 4 pages!! And to see posts from @kazu Jacqui and @atexsix Bruno in addition to all the terrific lists, memes, photos and stories makes it a good day to close out.

We were up way too early today (before 4am). We suspect a tad anxious about today’s scheduled pre-cruise COVID testing.  Both of received Negative results.YAY!!  On to the airport hotel, tomorrow’s flight to FL,  and boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam on Thursday for our first cruise in almost two years!!!  We are so excited that this may actually happen.

Sending best wishes to all on the celebratory list and heartfelt virtual hugs to those on the Cares list.

-Cat

PS: To those of you who use a phone to post on CC, I am in total awe!! I miss my keyboard, LOL!

• Like 15

10 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:
12 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

No ask the Captain today due to a medical evacuation in the next few hours. 

Too risky per Captain to pick up evacuation. So we're racing to Fort Lauderdale to be there by 11:15 tonight.

I can see the Rotterdam on PEV Webcam's map. It's ese of Miami Beach at 10:43 PM et.

• Like 4