Your College Bowl Game will not be shown by Royal.

link99

Just off the Dec 20 2021 Independence Sailing. On Thursday Dec 23,2021 the UCF vs UF game was on in Playmakers. A large crowd had gathered to watch the game. Fans from both side were there cheering on their team.

As the game went into commercial break just before 8pm the TV’s were switched over to the NFL Network. 

All the fans began questioning what was going on. We were told that the Ship has no control over what games are played in Playmakers,and it would not be put back on.  

Quite a few of us went to guest services and complained. The top dog in guest services came out and talk to each of us and said that the games are controlled by the satellite provider of the ships,and that the game would be replayed at 10:30pm. If we did not want to know who won don’t look for the score before then. That was the end of it. The game was never put back on.  

The only positive thing I can say about this is, I had Paid for the additional Stream on top of My Diamond Plus discount and was able to stream the game on the ESPN app through my cable service provider.  Another person I talked with was trying to stream the game but only had the Surf package and could not stream the game. So on that note the Surf and Stream works and does what it is supposed to.

Bottom line Do Not count on Royal Carribean to stream your Bowl Game or any non NFL game.The NFL will always over ride any collage bowl games. 

I am anxiously awaiting my survey. You can count on a Big Fat Zero for guest services and Playmakers. 

Maybe then someone will look at this and say how stupid it is that the ship can’t control what games the passengers want to watch instead of someone sitting in NY saying this is what you get to see like it or not.
You made quite a few football fans unhappy Royal. Not Cool,Not cool at all Royal Carribean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's too bad.  We were on Navigator about 10 years ago and it was non-stop bowl games shown in the lounges. Everyone had college jerseys on and it was a blast.

Edited by mek

International rights have always been hit or miss.  Bla  ming this on the NFL may a bit much and I am not an NFL fan.

ESPN may have just purchased the rights for the bowl games to be broadcast in the US and not overseas.  Once a ship goes beyond a certain point then the broadcast would be consider overseas and not legally eligible for being shown onboard the ship

However the NFL channel may have been, thus the switchover.

• Like 1

I agree with the original poster.  This is silly.  It is not a random TV in a random bar that the game was on, it is an establishment claiming it is a SPORTS BAR.  You don't change the channel when fans are watching the game.  Unfortunately, sports fans didn't make their satellite rules.

It's too bad you couldn't cast the game from your device to the screen in playmakers.

• Like 1

Royal gets programming through a network...  the network prioritized the NFL game on Thursday night (which was probably in line with most people who watch football). 

You got a bonus hour of college football.  

If I had to miss two hours of the NFL game to watch UCF play a lousy UF team I would have complained.

Edited by billslowsky
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, link99 said:

Just off the Dec 20 2021 Independence Sailing. On Thursday Dec 23,2021 the UCF vs UF game was on in Playmakers. A large crowd had gathered to watch the game. Fans from both side were there cheering on their team.

As the game went into commercial break just before 8pm the TV’s were switched over to the NFL Network. 

All the fans began questioning what was going on. We were told that the Ship has no control over what games are played in Playmakers,and it would not be put back on.  

Quite a few of us went to guest services and complained. The top dog in guest services came out and talk to each of us and said that the games are controlled by the satellite provider of the ships,and that the game would be replayed at 10:30pm. If we did not want to know who won don’t look for the score before then. That was the end of it. The game was never put back on.  

The only positive thing I can say about this is, I had Paid for the additional Stream on top of My Diamond Plus discount and was able to stream the game on the ESPN app through my cable service provider.  Another person I talked with was trying to stream the game but only had the Surf package and could not stream the game. So on that note the Surf and Stream works and does what it is supposed to.

Bottom line Do Not count on Royal Carribean to stream your Bowl Game or any non NFL game.The NFL will always over ride any collage bowl games. 

I am anxiously awaiting my survey. You can count on a Big Fat Zero for guest services and Playmakers. 

Maybe then someone will look at this and say how stupid it is that the ship can’t control what games the passengers want to watch instead of someone sitting in NY saying this is what you get to see like it or not.

You made quite a few football fans unhappy Royal. Not Cool. Not cool at all Royal Carribean.

There. Maybe now people can read this. 

P.S. if you’re THAT worried about being able to view a very specific sporting event while on a ship with thousands of other guests who may also want to see their specific sporting event, maybe you should have just stayed home. 

As it turns out you did…get to see your specific sporting event, albeit streamed on your personal device. 

Maybe by time your survey rolls around you’ll have cooled off enough to realize how unimportant this is in the grand scheme of things. 

🙄

• Like 2

Copied and pasted from notes. Did not know it would look that big to you. Not intentional. Tried to edit but could not. No worries though the post will go to the wayside soon enough.

BTW The Knights still beat the Gators. Go Knights!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1