So you can't check-in to get a boarding pass online from a computer on Princess these days?

12cruise2

On 1/20/2022 at 10:00 AM, dockman said:

If these same guys had an abacus they would have altered it so it likely would no longer work.

Did you ever think of how easy it would be to put a drop of Crazy Glue on the beads of an abacus to stick a few beads together?  I learned this trick from the Princess IT Department, and it instantly crashes the abacus!

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Well said......I am just chuckling how something that is so simple to use is actually mind-blowing and unsettling to others....but they rant on and Princess is going to keep moving forward.....Oh Lordy!!  😇

It is only "so simple to use" if the system is glitch free.  The app still has a lot problems that have to be corrected by the tech department after a three hour phone wait. (App considered my name invalid and all it took was a teck flipping a switch on the other end to change it) Until all the glitches are fixed there should be the option of entering your information on your computer.  Shouldn't be so critical of your fellow cruisers..one day you too can be made invalid by Princess Medallion App!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

It is only "so simple to use" if the system is glitch free.  The app still has a lot problems that have to be corrected by the tech department after a three hour phone wait. (App considered my name invalid and all it took was a teck flipping a switch on the other end to change it) Until all the glitches are fixed there should be the option of entering your information on your computer.  Shouldn't be so critical of your fellow cruisers..one day you too can be made invalid by Princess Medallion App!

I’m not hard on anybody…..I just do not buy into the “ain’t it awful attitude” and evidently know how to use correctly the Medallion app……cheers! 😁

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 5:21 PM, jimbo1683 said:

They didn't mess up. They will have researched how many customers in their target market have a smart phone and weighed it up against the cost of maintaining multiple processes. Clearly their conclusion was that not enough people travel without a smartphone to warrant the time, effort and cost.

So, if they didn't mess up, why are they reversing course and working on a web-based version of the MC App for pre-cruise purposes?  Remember, they took away the heart of the Cruise Personalizer for check-in purposes and dining requests.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Well said......I am just chuckling how something that is so simple to use is actually mind-blowing and unsettling to others....but they rant on and Princess is going to keep moving forward.....Oh Lordy!!  😇

Another response that is completely off topic. Did you fail to notice that the topic is "So you can't check-in to get a boarding pass online from a computer on Princess these days?" ? Did you not notice that the discussion is about the Medallion app failing to work as a tool to enter data that is requested prior to embarkation/?

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Another response that is completely off topic. Did you fail to notice that the topic is "So you can't check-in to get a boarding pass online from a computer on Princess these days?" ? Did you not notice that the discussion is about the Medallion app failing to work as a tool to enter data that is requested prior to embarkation/?

And about 54 post back, the OP found out a BP is not required in any case. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/20/2022 at 9:05 AM, gardenbunny said:

My TA gave me a tutorial aide for using the Medallion App.  Step by step with pictures.  Not sure how she got it but it was great.  I had been stumbling my way through on my own.  Used that and sailed right through…other than the software glitches beyond our control. That is on Princess to resolve!

Princess should include that aide with every booking confirmation!

A properly designed app would not require a tutorial on how to use it. It would be intuitive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:21 PM, jimbo1683 said:

They didnt mess up. They will have researched how many customers in their target market have a smart phone and weighed it up against the cost of maintaining multiple processes. Clearly their conclusion was that not enough people travel without a smartphone to warrant the time, effort and cost.

But I bet they did not research how many of their customers with smart phones had operating systems that were new enough for what the app was designed to work with.

You can have many people with smart phones, but if only xx% have the more current operating systems, then the other yy% would not even be able to install the app.

We have a smart phone, but the operating system is one release earlier than what the app can work on.

In the many threads about the app, it is apparent that the app will not work properly on some smart phone brands and on some smart phones with insufficient memory for the app.

The app can also work on tablets, but again not on all brands and operating systems. It cannot be used on any of the three tablets that we own.

So the problem is not always that the passenger does not like or use a smart phone or other digital device. It is that the app was not designed to be compatible with the device(s) that the passenger has access to.

And even if they found that 100% of the passengers had digital devices that the app worked perfectly on, they did not realize that not everyone on a cruise wants to be tied to their digital device throughout the cruise.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, caribill said:

even if they found that 100% of the passengers had digital devices that the app worked perfectly on, they did not realize that not everyone on a cruise wants to be tied to their digital device throughout the cruise.

To be fair, once you’ve checked in there is  no requirement to use the app throughout the cruise anymore than using the website to check-in and print boarding passes required continuing to use your computer during the cruise. Using your phone to access the app onboard is a great convenience for those who enjoy it but it is not required at all.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

So, if they didn't mess up, why are they reversing course and working on a web-based version of the MC App for pre-cruise purposes?  Remember, they took away the heart of the Cruise Personalizer for check-in purposes and dining requests.

And there was never any good reason to do that to the personalizer!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

To be fair, once you’ve checked in there is  no requirement to use the app throughout the cruise anymore than using the website to check-in and print boarding passes required continuing to use your computer during the cruise. Using your phone to access the app onboard is a great convenience for those who enjoy it but it is not required at all.

Thank you.....so true.....still cannot figure out why some posters think it is the end of the world and insist that Princess almost single handedly destroyed mankind because they have not figured out how to use Medallion......this thread needs to be closed.......

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I am reminded of one of my favorite life lessons:  Just because it didn’t happen to me doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. 

Agreed. I had relatively few issues with my 1st 2 cruises .... then I went and changed my cc# & now no one (2nd level fix it ticket started by their IT) can figure out how to keep the app from defaulting to a dead #. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Thank you.....so true.....still cannot figure out why some posters think it is the end of the world and insist that Princess almost single handedly destroyed mankind because they have not figured out how to use Medallion......this thread needs to be closed.......

Agreed.  Not everyone is having problems with the app.  Change is hard sometimes.

I quite liked using the medallion instead of a key card. I purchased a wrist band for it the first day and never had to worry about carrying a card around. It didn't work quite as well for drink orders, the waiter often just took down our room number, but that didn't bother me. I also didn't notice any intrusive things like my picture popping up on displays as I walked around the ship.

The app worked for some things and not others, I mostly used it to locate my travel partners and it worked surprisingly well for that. I used it to change dinner reservations and reserve excursions. Those both worked well. I didn't find it useful for the ship activities but we received the Patter in our room and I prefer that. 

I guess my point would be to use it as much or as little as you want. If you can't get the pre-boarding stuff to work they will fix it at port. If you are frustrated with the medallion itself then just use it as a door key. Could things be done better? Sure. But none of these issues prevent having an enjoyable cruise. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Why would the thread need to be closed.

If everything is indeed wonderful, as you say, there will be few posts by people having problems,

and the thread will drift away to oblivion...

BTW, to whom is 'they' referring?   Posters, or Princess?

7 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

If the app is so buggy that one cannot enter required information before hand or if the app corrupts the data after it is entered then there is a problem with the Medallion app.

Either you think this discussion is about the Medallion and not about the Medallion app or you are paid by Princess to promote a broken piece of software.

• Like 2

I'd wager that the systems used for Personalizer and related systems, are different than the ones used for Medallion App - maybe not even from the same services provider.  Trying to run an older system at the same time as a brand new system means a lot of work to combine, integrate, or synchronize data between the 2 - this can be a serious challenge and would likely hold up deployment of the new system.  Much more doable to split the load, each system does one set of tasks independently from the other, with maybe a batch update as necessary. vs. real time.  So what they're trying to convey is that the work to integrate web front end with Medallion App is in progress.

Edited by Papa Yoda

1 hour ago, Papa Yoda said:

I'd wager that the systems used for Personalizer and related systems, are different than the ones used for Medallion App - maybe not even from the same services provider.  Trying to run an older system at the same time as a brand new system means a lot of work to combine, integrate, or synchronize data between the 2 - this can be a serious challenge and would likely hold up deployment of the new system.  Much more doable to split the load, each system does one set of tasks independently from the other, with maybe a batch update as necessary. vs. real time.  So what they're trying to convey is that the work to integrate web front end with Medallion App is in progress.

No.

20 hours ago, caribill said:

A properly designed app would not require a tutorial on how to use it. It would be intuitive.

Quite true.  Do I need a tutorial from Hilton, Marriott, or IHG in order to book and reserve a hotel room?  NO.  Do I need to a tutorial to book, reserve, change, select seats, pay for baggage, etc, with any of the airlines I have flown.  NO.  I don't recall having any questions working with third-party providers where you can shop and book a cruise.  Same with Princess.com.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 1/26/2022 at 2:01 PM, Steelers36 said:

The rollout of the MC App for pre-cruise purposes was nothing more than an unmitigated disaster, while they simultaneously erased online functionality that every travel organization I can think of has as standard functionality.  Sure, Princess has promised a web-based version after realizing their mistake.  First it was October, then November, then Q1 2022.  We are on the threshold of turning the calendar to FEB and no sign in sight for those that need it or would prefer it. 

Doing data entry on a cell phone is horrible. So even if it worked flawlessly it would be sub-par. Inputting credit cards, passport info, etc. is much easier on a full sized keyboard. And it doesn't work flawlessly. My favorite bug is that on my Android phone, they will only use the front facing camera to "scan" your passport, and the text is backwards in the image. I had to input the passport info manually, on the phone, because you can't do it on the web.

The physical medallion will probably work fine on the ship. It seems to for most people. But your point is exactly right: using the app for pre-cruise stuff seems to be a disaster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How about this "fix".  Princess brings back the personalizer and then uses some of the Princess Customer Service Representatives to move information from the web to the app.  It would reduce the number of calls to the center.  Ha Ha...I think that would be faster than trying to help everyone with a not ready for prime time app.

And I say that because today, I checked on my sisters' booking.  App just spun around and around.  They went from Green to Yellow.  Couldn't enter anything...circled around back to home page over and over again.  

Voila...checked 5 hours later and back in green lane with 1, 2, 3, 4 checked off.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

How about this "fix".  Princess brings back the personalizer and then uses some of the Princess Customer Service Representatives to move information from the web to the app.  It would reduce the number of calls to the center.  Ha Ha...I think that would be faster than trying to help everyone with a not ready for prime time app.

And I say that because today, I checked on my sisters' booking.  App just spun around and around.  They went from Green to Yellow.  Couldn't enter anything...circled around back to home page over and over again.  

Voila...checked 5 hours later and back in green lane with 1, 2, 3, 4 checked off.  

Your idea is too logical..to easy..too smart..Let's do it the hard way...lol

• Like 4