Has anyone traveled on multiple cruise lines in a single trip? Advice?

BoatsandTrains

Covid willing, we have a 60 day “4 Boat” trip planned this year.  1) Cunard transatlantic NYC to Southampton, 2) British isle cruise, roundtrip Southampton,  with Princess 3) Scenic river cruise on the Seine, roundtrip Paris and 4) HAL Baltic Gems, leaving from Amsterdam and TA back to NY.  

There are a couple days between each leg and we will take trains to get to each departure.   

Any concerns?

thanks.  

Any concerns? Like travel restrictions between countries, COVID testing before each cruise, different proof of vaccination documents depending on the country, quarantine insurance? Those kinds of concerns?

I'm not even willing to book a B2B on the same ship right now. You're a braver man than I am. Best of luck.

As you said, it's covid willing. I think at this point your country number may be more concerning than your cruise line number. You know you'll have to arrange a covid test between cruises. What would derail your trip is a drastic change in the country requirements to enter. I took a 2 country trip last September, and the requirements to enter changed at least 4 times before my trip. 

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

One concern which comes to mind is what you would do if one or two of the cruises were cancelled - or possibly diverted - leaving you with substantial “dead time” between remaining legs - requiring  replacement transportation (and other) arrangements.

We do worry about that.   I’m thinking the cancel for any reason type insurance might be wise, in which case we could hopefully fly home.   

we coupled a QM2 crossing with a river cruise b4 covid. We also did some land days between legs. Biggest issue for use was the Cunard dress code which they DO enforce -  on QM2 anyway . . . We had to drag what amounted to two sets of clothes: one for the land and river portions and another for QM2 .... a couple of long dress for Mrs, a suit/tux and another jacket for me ... dress slacks ... dress shoes.

It nearly doubled what we would have carried without the Cunard leg ....

1 hour ago, Capt_BJ said:

we coupled a QM2 crossing with a river cruise b4 covid. We also did some land days between legs. Biggest issue for use was the Cunard dress code which they DO enforce -  on QM2 anyway . . . We had to drag what amounted to two sets of clothes: one for the land and river portions and another for QM2 .... a couple of long dress for Mrs, a suit/tux and another jacket for me ... dress slacks ... dress shoes.

It nearly doubled what we would have carried without the Cunard leg ....

Several years ago, we did both an east and west Cunard TA with several weeks on land in between.   We packed as light as possible - a 24 in suitcase each and a backpack.  I will have to revive that packing list.   Although we will need some cold weather gear this time.  If it happens. 

Over many years we have quite a few multiple line cruises, river cruises, etc and never had any problems.   Of course the constantly changing COVID rules are going to be a concern for the near future.  We now keep that in mind when booking reservations and are willing to pay a little more to book things like hotels, rental cars, etc. so that we have the ability to cancel without penalty.   Trains do seem like a good fit for your itinerary.

Hank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

One concern which comes to mind is what you would do if one or two of the cruises were cancelled - or possibly diverted - leaving you with substantial “dead time” between remaining legs - requiring  replacement transportation (and other) arrangements.

I would not worry about that and I might even regard it as a plus..  I would use it as an opportunity to spend a few days on land in an interesting location.  Find a good place to stay and enjoy your unrushed land sightseeing.

DON

5 hours ago, BoatsandTrains said:

We do worry about that.   I’m thinking the cancel for any reason type insurance might be wise, in which case we could hopefully fly home.   

You will want to check the fine print in your policy (or even multiple, sequential policies) but I think that for problems that occur after you leave home at the start of your trip, trip interruption is the coverage needed.

You may want to start a thread over in the insurance forum.

47 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

I would not worry about that and I might even regard it as a plus..  I would use it as an opportunity to spend a few days on land in an interesting location.  Find a good place to stay and enjoy your unrushed land sightseeing.

DON

If you are sure that there would not be any covid-related travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, etc., I suppose it could work out to be "...a plus..." -- but these are not ordinary times --- and you could wind up being quarantined somewhere which no one would call "an interesting location".

Edited by navybankerteacher

On 1/20/2022 at 6:59 AM, BoatsandTrains said:

Covid willing, we have a 60 day “4 Boat” trip planned this year.  1) Cunard transatlantic NYC to Southampton, 2) British isle cruise, roundtrip Southampton,  with Princess 3) Scenic river cruise on the Seine, roundtrip Paris and 4) HAL Baltic Gems, leaving from Amsterdam and TA back to NY.  

There are a couple days between each leg and we will take trains to get to each departure.   

Any concerns?

thanks.  

Pretty complicated trip for the times and changing covid requirements.  I would not try this at this time.  

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 8:20 PM, navybankerteacher said:

If you are sure that there would not be any covid-related travel restrictions, quarantine requirements, etc., I suppose it could work out to be "...a plus..." -- but these are not ordinary times --- and you could wind up being quarantined somewhere which no one would call "an interesting location".

Heck I cant even bring myself to do 2 cruiselines out of the same port and have to get tested in the port I'm leaving from to board the next cruiseline. Easier to get tested at home. Though I guess the OP is doing home tests. 

I'm only driving to Galveston thru this year in case I test positive. All mine are at least b2b and I could test positive in between legs. If you are where you cant drive home, as you say, you will be finding a hotel to quarantine and miss the next leg. It's my big fear and I'm just doing b2bs. 

I'm hoping to plan something more port intensive next march b2b with oasis. There is a 11 day to panama and Columbia. Ships are still missing a lot of these ports but I'm hoping a year from now it's better.

August sounds too soon, but I'm cautious. Im not even willing to book to Panama until I know the ports I'm booking for arent being missed. 

In 2023 we have a Windstar cruise in French Polynesia and 3 days after leaving that ship we are flying to Auckland for a 30 day Seabourn cruise. Different climates and dress. We are going to send bags from home to Auckland by way of Luggage Forward and  keep our luggage on Windstar to tropical wear. That would allow us to manage our suitcases while traveling.

• Like 1