How much do you drink while cruising?

CruiseRQA

We drink about 4 drinks a day plus 3 bottles of water each on port days.   On sea days we drink more, maybe 2 drinks earlier in the day.

And if there are masks required, then we drink even more.  True, we did this on 2 cruises this past fall, especially after we noticed that everyone with a drink in front of them didn’t have their mask on.  

• Like 1

Neither my husband or I need alcohol to have a good time.

While we enjoy an occasional glass of wine or cocktail, we need to make a conscious decision to have a drink (and remember that we decided to have a drink).

I marvel at reviews that feel the need to list the alcoholic intake for the day. It does serve a purpose when the same review contains statements about  the taste of the food items on board,

If the taste buds have been numbed by alcohol, I know to disregard any food quality statements. It would be like asking a sight impaired person to evaluate the colors in a painting.

• Haha 2

I also drink more while cruising (or on any holiday really!) than at home especially if it's included in the price I have already paid.  I don't bother counting as I only have a drink when I feel like it.

I do remember the days when Celebrity would give a printout at the end of your cruise and was shocked until I saw that soda and even bottles of water to take ashore were included on the list.  Glad they don't waste all that paper on top of all the other wasted paper anymore.

13 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I do find it odd when people write-up trip reports and state that on a particular day it seems they had too much to drink and didn't feel good, or had to sleep it off, or whatever. I don't get it. 

Agree-- And to add " one small step for man ( or woman-- I love this politically correct stuff  ), one giant leap for mankind ( oops, peoplekind ) I find it odd that someone posts " How Much Do You Drink While Cruising ".

What the hell . Who cares how much anyone else drinks ?? 

Mind you, LOL--- IF they gave the " Winner " ( ?? ) a lanyard with " I'm a Winner " card in it-- That's a different story .

(  No need---I get it --- " So, why are you reading the post " )?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Recently off the Apex.   Now back at home my wife and I were out for dinner and I was enjoying a glass of red wine with my steak.   I reflexly looked over my shoulder for the sommelier to come and refill my glass when I realized that there wasn't a sommelier and that a refill would cost me $15 and so I refrained.

This got me to thinking about how much do people drink onboard especially with the included beverage packages.   Typically I would have something by the pool in the afternoon (a beer or margarita).   We would have a cocktail before dinner at Eden or Martini Bar (for me a whisky on the rocks) and then a glass or two of wine with dinner.   So essentially 4 alcoholic drinks per day.   

So how much do you guys drink while cruising?   Am I about average?  

For me, I drink upwards of four (4) glasses of wine and possibly three (3) bourbons or scotches once (1x) weekly vs hourly when on a cruise....

My alter ego is working overtime, when cruising!

Does this answer the question adequately? LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

When I cruise or go camping I am on holidays. Yes, I drink more than normal and I enjoy it.

I also eat a lot more when I cruise as well (funny how no one seems to talk about that).

On our first cruise, prior to Celebrity offering drink packages, we were frugal and watched how much we drank. A few times we would have liked to have that extra drink, but did not.

Our second cruise in 2012 was just after the drink package was offered, I had 144 drinks (including bottled water, smoothies, fresh squeezed OJ, etc) during that 10 day cruise.  It was such a pleasure to be able to get what I wanted, when I wanted, without  caring about a bill.

We start our cruise day with fresh squeezed OJ and amaretto over crushed ice. If we are just hanging out, we might have a second one.  Mid-morning coffee might be spiked or not, a pre-lunch cocktail, a glass of wine with lunch, a few after-noon hydrations, a pre-dinner cocktail, a few glasses of wine to match dinner courses, a drink or two at the show and a pre-sleep liqueur.

Yup, that is a lot, but it is MY vacation. Also, I try not to drink anything I drink at home.

Now, I really miss cruising. Hopefully soon!

Edited by PMT51
  • Like 3

I may be the exception because I don't drink alcohol and always have a premium Package due to my CC Status.   I do however drink 4-5 double cappuccinos, a large bottle of San Pellegrino   and 1 or 2 glasses of Non-Alcoholic wine per day while on cruise.   I pretty much drink the same at home except the non-alcoholic wine.

• Like 2

On our last cruise, we had the premium drink package, but didn't have our first drink until the fourth day of the cruise!  I am prone to migraines and my hubby was on medication early in the cruise.  We were very cautious.  Later in the cruise we were partaking in 1-2 drinks a day.  

34 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

If the wine glass never gets empty until you leave dinner it only counts as 1 correct? 

Asking for a friend. 

If you leave a little at the bottom it doesn't count at all. 🙂 That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

If the taste buds have been numbed by alcohol, I know to disregard any food quality statements. It would be like asking a sight impaired person to evaluate the colors in a painting.

The right beverage actually enhances the flavours of a meal, not detract from it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Neither my husband or I need alcohol to have a good time.

While we enjoy an occasional glass of wine or cocktail, we need to make a conscious decision to have a drink (and remember that we decided to have a drink).

I marvel at reviews that feel the need to list the alcoholic intake for the day. It does serve a purpose when the same review contains statements about  the taste of the food items on board,

My husband does not drink either, but that's his "problem" not mine.  In my experience, nothing says cruise breakfast like a couple of mimosas to enhance my eggs benedict.  A good glass or 7 of wine during dinner definitely enhances to flavors of the meal, the spices and flavors all meld together.  Of course then one needs a few martinis to cleanse the pallet after dinner, before settling on my balcony with some shrimp cocktails and a bottle of red vino.  YMMV

• Like 4

I don’t miss cruises and land vacations thinking about the cost of a drink and debating with myself whether it would be money well spent. I also don’t miss getting the final bill, checking to make sure we weren’t overcharged. 
Now I don’t count my drinks. image.png.fd6f610e8fe9212c20950c995bb00e29.png

• Like 1

I do not think that I have ever finished a drink onboard that has alcohol.  I take a few sips and that's it for me.  I do drink tons of water, some ice tea and caramel  macchiatos, along with a few other things.  Alcohol puts me to sleep, makes me feel awful and...  I am a gym rat, so it is not good for that either.  Yes, I know that it is a cruise, but I do not want to sleep and feel awful throughout the itinerary.  Cruising is very safe for those who like to indulge; I do not blame them a bit!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 3

I can't help noticing that the UK cruisers are keeping their heads below the parapet on this one .  We seem now to get the premium package with our suite so we are not constrained..  I  guess we try and keep off it until late pm when we have a couple of glasses of champagne. If we have wine midday there is a danger we will fall asleep and miss the champagne. Then scrub up for dinner and have 2 or 3  vodka tonic / G&T.  I like my gin on the side so you gently pour it over the ice and slice so it sits on top like an oil slick  . That way you get a big hit ! at the first sip.  Roll into Luminae probably start with a glass of white wine, move to red depending on the menu. Glass of port with a piece of stilton and later a nice malt. Needless to say my dear wife is much more restrained. Definitely keep off those sugary cocktails as they are bad for your health !

Remember you do not have a problem till you drink more than your Doctor !

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hampshirelad said:

I can't help noticing that the UK cruisers are keeping their heads below the parapet on this one .  We seem now to get the premium package with our suite so we are not constrained..  I  guess we try and keep off it until late pm when we have a couple of glasses of champagne. If we have wine midday there is a danger we will fall asleep and miss the champagne. Then scrub up for dinner and have 2 or 3  vodka tonic / G&T.  I like my gin on the side so you gently pour it over the ice and slice so it sits on top like an oil slick  . That way you get a big hit ! at the first sip.  Roll into Luminae probably start with a glass of white wine, move to red depending on the menu. Glass of port with a piece of stilton and later a nice malt. Needless to say my dear wife is much more restrained. Definitely keep off those sugary cocktails as they are bad for your health !

Remember you do not have a problem till you drink more than your Doctor !

you're like me, you keep your cruise drinking in check. 🍷🥂

I don’t really drink day to day, if we have a dinner party or friends visiting them I will drink. The same applies with vacations and we as a couple tend not to drink until around 5.30 in the evening, V&T for me pre dinner and wine for my DH, both then have wine with dinner and then a VSOP or 2 for me and single malt for DH.

Suite life hasn’t changed my habits with the beverage packages.🍷🍷🥂🥃

Edited by emmas gran
Add
  • Like 1

I normally drink daily even when not on a cruise, on a cruise I just start drinking much earlier in the day , we always have a couple at lunch normally wine sometimes beer , will have a couple at the pool , then before and after dinner drinks , a bottle of good red wine with dinner and a good night cognac.

• Like 3

Just off a cruise so I figure I can add this up pretty quickly. 

Beer, G&T or Aperol Spritz with lunch-1

Pre-dinner drink one or two (sometimes)

2 glasses of wine with dinner

Maybe an aperitif or martini after dinner

So 5 maybe. Depends on before dinner.

As to the beverage package you can also add for me at least two lattes and about one club soda or sparkling mineral water for every drink.

I guess I do get my money's worth. 

Our drinking and our food consumption on cruises is virtually identical with what we have at home or on a land vacation.  2-3 beers or wine a day.  Lunch large salad or small salad and a main. App and main at dinner. 

Boring perhaps but it has worked for us for the last 15 years or so.

Funny- this thread by OP @CruiseRQAwas just looking for a self-comparison benchmark with the simple question- How much do you drink while cruising?  This thread did not ask to justify your drinking or extra drinking or lack of drinking, or even when you drink.   Or what you drink when you dine.  But a lot of us did.  Kind of a fun thread.😀

• Like 2