Return flight from Amsterdam to US

Jordanyaya1

We are booked on Apex for a June 7th sailing out of Amsterdam. I’m not too concerned about getting Covid tested prior to flying to Amsterdam but my big concern is that currently the US is requiring all US citizens to be tested 24 hours before our return flight. I can’t find anything definitive which says we could get tested on our last day onboard. The website does state that testing facilities would be available at the cruise terminal upon disembarking. I’m not sure if this is for international cruise terminals or those only in the US. I’m also concerned about the logistics of this. Our flight is at 1:00PM which would require us to checkin at the airport by 11:00AM. Will we have enough time to disembark, gather our luggage, get tested then get transportation to the airport? It’s getting a little stressful and it’s almost impossible to get through to Celebrity for an accurate answer. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. 

I wouldn't expect Celebrity to provide onboard testing for follow on travel like they did in the early days of the restart.   People who test positive cause the ships numbers to be higher which is bad for business.   Once you are off the ship you aren't their problem anymore.

Thought, for a fee,  you can still be tested onboard.   We will see what the rules are this summer.   Some of the countries have expiration dates for your vaccines so you can’t have gotten them more than a year, or six months before traveling.    Check the requirements for the Netherlands.

I thought Celebrity had been doing testing for travelers flying out within 24 hours of cruise ending for a cost. What does your airline have to say about testing. Delta Airline website mentioned eMed/Abbott test kits. Cant you bring a eMed test kit with you and use the Wifi on the ship?

The cruise terminal in Amsterdam is close to Amsterdam Centraal Station

https://thetourguy.com/travel-blog/netherlands/amsterdam/where-to-get-a-covid-test-in-amsterdam-this-year/

2 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Thought, for a fee,  you can still be tested onboard.   We will see what the rules are this summer. 

Current (so obviously not European) cruises test at the pier for $ upon disembarkation for international travel requirements.  That changed in Dec or Jan, forget which.

The time frame you have will be very difficult.   Any possibility of moving your flight to the following day?

All anyone knows today is Celebrity will not test you on board.  Hard to know what the rules to fly.  If a self administered proctored test is acceptable that seems to be easiest.  Should have good WIFI at the port.

No guess as to the rules in June.

Here are the current entry requirements:

COVID-19 Testing Required for U.S. Entry

COVID-19 Testing Required for U.S. Entry

Effective December 6, the  Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will require all air passengers two years of age and over entering the United States (including U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents) to present a negative COVID-19 test result a negative taken no more than 1 day before departure, or proof of recovery from the virus within the last 90 days. Airlines must confirm the negative test result or proof of recent recovery for all passengers prior to boarding. Airlines must deny boarding of passengers who do not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery.

See the  CDC Proof of Negative Test Result page to view the order, complete the attestation, and to see FAQ’s.    

I’m interested as well. We are on the Jewel of the Seas out of Amsterdam, returning 7/2/22 on an 11am flight.

mac_tlc

57 minutes ago, FirstTeacher said:

Thanks for this. Does anyone know what the US requires of its citizens returning from Europe? This site doesn’t tell that.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.

Have you considered doing your own testing using the same Proctored Test that celebrity uses.   I know many of the airlines like United point to these same site Optum that Celebrity uses.  Make sure you order in time before you leave the U.S. and download the app to your smart phone or tablet before you leave.  Might also speed things up if you create your accounts before you leave.  

With the self test you could test from the comfort you you room or the Internet Cafe the day before your flight.   I presume you would require the Premium Internet.

From UAL site:

image.thumb.png.917527708fde33218a98d18ba9121949.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Have you considered doing your own testing using the same Proctored Test that celebrity uses.   I know many of the airlines like United point to these same site Optum that Celebrity uses.  Make sure you order in time before you leave the U.S. and download the app to your smart phone or tablet before you leave.  Might also speed things up if you create your accounts before you leave.  

With the self test you could test from the comfort you you room or the Internet Cafe the day before your flight.   I presume you would require the Premium Internet.

From UAL site:

This sounds like the path we will take if it’s still required in July. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

From UAL site:

That's our current plan for our return from Amsterdam after our cruise on the Apex this summer. 👍

4 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

This sounds like the path we will take if it’s still required in July. 

mac_tlc

I have a B3B in April and bought a 6 pack on E-Med and currently plan on using them for our return home.    We used them on out last cruise and they were really easy and convenient.   There are some great YouTube videos to familiarize yourself with the process.   We also bought some of the non-proctored Abbott tests and had pre-tested -  the non-monitored ones you have 2 tests in each box while the proctored ones are only one test per box.   The tests are identical in look so good for practice.

• Thanks 1

There's no way that testing to fly internationally into the US is going away in 2022. 

Options are:

1. bring a proctored at home test with you

2. find a testing site in your last port of call

3. find a location between the port and the airport that offers rapid antigen testing. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

From UAL site:

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

From UAL site:

I’m using the proctored test before the cruise and will use for our required return to US testing. I’m familiar with these since I’ve used the non-proctored ones already. Simple to use. I presume I’ll have to purchase the Premium wifi package which will run around $360 for our cruise but I’d probably spend as much on tests, cab fares, etc.

Can anyone comment on how reliable the Premium wifi package is while at sea? Our last day will be at sea and not sure how it will work trying to execute the proctored test.

PS. I spoke to Celebrity several times and no one can confirm that testing will be available the morning of disembarkation at Amsterdam port.  

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

There's no way that testing to fly internationally into the US is going away in 2022. 

Options are:

1. bring a proctored at home test with you

2. find a testing site in your last port of call

3. find a location between the port and the airport that offers rapid antigen testing. 

You know this how? As a US Citizen it really sucks that we can’t fly home without testing, but yet other countries will let us in with no testing 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

You know this how? As a US Citizen it really sucks that we can’t fly home without testing, but yet other countries will let us in with no testing 🤷🏻‍♀️

pandemic has been active for over a year with how many surges now? The fact that one surge is ending is no indication that another surge won’t start back up in a few weeks. CDC has labeled half the world as ‘do not travel’ destinations. Common sense is that testing requirements to enter to US won’t be going away anytime soon. At least the US accepts antigen tests. I think Canada still requires PCR.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordanyaya1 said:

I’m using the proctored test before the cruise and will use for our required return to US testing. I’m familiar with these since I’ve used the non-proctored ones already. Simple to use. I presume I’ll have to purchase the Premium wifi package which will run around $360 for our cruise but I’d probably spend as much on tests, cab fares, etc.

Can anyone comment on how reliable the Premium wifi package is while at sea? Our last day will be at sea and not sure how it will work trying to execute the proctored test.

PS. I spoke to Celebrity several times and no one can confirm that testing will be available the morning of disembarkation at Amsterdam port.  

If you are unlike me and need by addiction to always be connected you could choose to buy a one day pass or possibly a 1 hour pass for the high speed internet -  If you are Elite or above you will also have free minutes of High Speed

Elite and Elite Plus members will receive 90 and 240 complimentary stream minutes respectively

Last cruise I was on the rates for one day package is $67 and 1 hour package is $34

• Like 1