Complimentary Gift from Princess for Anniversary or Birthday

sloopsailor

1 hour ago, sloopsailor said:

Apparently some people suffer more than others from these very serious first world problems. 😇

All kidding aside, I also do not like to be the center of attention. My fifteen minutes of fame were used up many, many years ago and I am perfectly happy to let others have their turn. 

With that in mind, I have removed the notation to Princess that I will be celebrating a birthday. Instead, we will secretly be celebrating the 51th anniversary of my 21st birthday so I can celebrate that day in the more calming "stealth" mode.  🎈

LOL. Yes, it's truly a first world problem.

I have a chemical imbalance in my brain. Being surprised or startled in any way causes me to have one of several reactions; and it's not predictable. In this instance, it made me cry. It's not rational; it's due to a very real medical condition.  

If people could be less judgmental about things they can't possibly know about, I think the world would be a nicer place. Live and let live, and all that. 

• Like 6

• 5 months later...

On Regal two weeks ago we received a bottle of champagne (not real of course) in an ice bucket with glasses (not to keep obviously) in our cabin. Then later in Sabatini’s to our surprise after ordering dessert we were presented with the Princess chocolate cake.

We took the bottle into Sabatini’s with no issues whatsoever.

As complimentary gifts go we were very happy and the staff were extra attentive.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Esprit said:

On Regal two weeks ago we received a bottle of champagne (not real of course) in an ice bucket with glasses (not to keep obviously) in our cabin.

What class of cabin?

4 hours ago, Esprit said:

On Regal two weeks ago we received a bottle of champagne (not real of course) in an ice bucket with glasses (not to keep obviously) in our cabin. Then later in Sabatini’s to our surprise after ordering dessert we were presented with the Princess chocolate cake.

We took the bottle into Sabatini’s with no issues whatsoever.

As complimentary gifts go we were very happy and the staff were extra attentive.

You did better than us. Our Ruby Wedding Anniversary, we ate in the Crown Grill, and just got the cake (which admittedly was quite tasty)

However,  I think you have more "status" than us, which might explain the bottle of cheap fizz. 

To be honest,  we weren't bothered either way.

On any cruise there will be hundreds of pax with birthdays, anniversaries etc. Some people seem to think that they should be upgraded,  be given free soecuality meals etc. 

As it was our Ruby, we upgraded ourselves to a cc minisuite, and had a great time. 

• Like 1

do you put just the birthday / anniversary date in the app? (sorry - totally new to all this)

we will be on Majestic in March 2023 and it will be wifes birthday... she would probably be chuffed (and quite surprised) if the staff in the dining room sang happy birthday to her and gave her a cake

5 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

do you put just the birthday / anniversary date in the app? (sorry - totally new to all this)

we will be on Majestic in March 2023 and it will be wifes birthday... she would probably be chuffed (and quite surprised) if the staff in the dining room sang happy birthday to her and gave her a cake

Yes, put it in the app. 

But, as the wait staff will sing Happy Birthday at least 10 times a night, I would give them a break.  It is really naff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sprocket said:

When?  I had a sign for my birthday in December and our Anniversary on the Grand.

Do you mean the old paper ones, or the smaller electronic one where you use your medallion to enter your room? 
We only saw it there, and on the electronic boards around the ship. Still very fun! 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:55 AM, CaliforniaAC said:

We had our anniversary on the Majestic last week. My husband ordered some kind of package from Princess. Our room was decorated inside, and there as a beach towel and matching canvas bag for me. No idea how much it costed.

Because of the medallion, the crew will tell you happy anniversary, and the medallion boards next to the elevators will wish you a happy anniversary as well.

The little extras will slowly but surely come back.

That was nice of your husband, and best not to  know how much it was. I hope you enjoyed it. You can order all kinds of celebration packages for your cabin now. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 9:16 PM, USN59-79 said:

I am trying to understand this.  The waiters bring a cake to celebrate your anniversary and you are horrified.  They sing a happy anniversary song and it is truly regrettable.  What would it take to please you?

Some people don’t like the attention, which I totally understand. it’s not for everyone, that’s for sure. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Do you mean the old paper ones, or the smaller electronic one where you use your medallion to enter your room? 
We only saw it there, and on the electronic boards around the ship. Still very fun! 

I had the paper ones and they also showed up on the screens near the elevators.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:37 PM, Thrak said:

GAH! Hopefully they don't automagically sing for an anniversary. Our next cruise will include our 50th.

We used to get the card in the room for the birthday cake. The first time my wife turned it in. After that we didn't bother as we didn't need the extra cake. It used to be a very, very chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.

On one ship was the square (too mousse'e for me).  The other ship still had the round delicious chocolate cake.  THEN, they did away with the really good chocolate cake from Room Service.  When will they learn to leave the good stuff alone?

• Like 2

KmkubI'm with you on tis one. Birthday's are meant for 10 year old's & those over 100. 

The last time we brought their special birthday cake, most went into the garbage & when they wanted to sing I told them to forget it.

Other than the pop up on the display boards around the ship they can keep everything else. 

Pre pandemic we celebrated several times.  The first time the little square chocolate cake was delicious.  The next time was for a birthday on a New Years cruise.  It was celebrated on New Years Eve.  I ordered my dessert but never got it.  (should have said something as it was special for New Years Eve). I did get the square chocolate cake which actually was not as good as I remembered.  After that we celebrated another birthday or anniversary and got the delicious cake.  A few nights later we ate in the Crown Grill and they brought us another one!  We were stuffed so they wrapped it up in foil and we put it in the refrigerator and ate it the next day.

I will say also that one birthday I received a card to save $20 off anything in the shops.  I was on the Royal so I got something in the chocolate shop.  I got a bag of Lindor chocolates to take home.  It was very much marked up in price but I didn't want to spend more than the gift.  

Edited by dickinson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Billish said:

I see that Carnival have announced that they will no longer be giving out cake as a birthday "gift".

They will simply stick a candle in whatever dessert you choose for dinner in the MDR.

I don't know if Princess will do likewise but it's not a bad idea. Most desserts are usually better than that cake they provide for the special celebration anyway. 🎂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I don't know if Princess will do likewise but it's not a bad idea. Most desserts are usually better than that cake they provide for the special celebration anyway. 🎂

Opinions and taste are just like B.H.'s: everyone has a different one.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MissP22 said:

KmkubI'm with you on tis one. Birthday's are meant for 10 year old's & those over 100. 

The last time we brought their special birthday cake, most went into the garbage & when they wanted to sing I told them to forget it.

Other than the pop up on the display boards around the ship they can keep everything else. 

It's funny you should mention 10-year-olds, because our daughter will turn 10 on Royal Princess later this month!  We're bringing our own happy birthday door magnet and have called Princess to have her birthday noted.  This is a big one so we will be glad for any embarrassing birthday shenanigans!

(We are also doing a very special shore excursion to celebrate.  I haven't ordered a cake because I'm sure she'll find a special fancy dessert she'd rather have that we can make a birthday treat.)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Maybe. Some waiters will refuse. Some will wrap it in foil for a take-away.

Our last waiter had extra desert items delivered to our room and they arrived before we even got back to our cabin. 

• 3 weeks later...

This was my birthday "gift" on Crown Princess this week. Pre-COVID wine that was spoiled from being stored improperly in the 2+ years Crown was out of service or just too old.  Too spoiled to sell without being sent back, so let's give it away as a disingenuous birthday gift🙄

Two sips and poured it down the drain.

20220822_011652.jpg